Good Morning Revival Review

Lyrics: 7.3
 7.6
 6.4
Good Morning Revival Reviewed by: UG Team, on march 29, 2007

Sound: The fourth album from Maryland foursome and a long-awaited follow to their 2004 The Chronicles Of Life And Death, Good Morning Revival is finally out March 27 on Epic/Daylight. The album features a new band member -- former Morrisey drummer Dean Butterworth and the return to the band's old producer, who worked on their breakthrough record, Don Gilmore (Pearl Jam, Linkin Park, Avril Lavigne). While the first fact doesn't really say anything, by hearing the second one you pretty much know what to expect from the record. The first single of this album Keep Your Hands Off My Girl that the band released through Internet turned out to be a very infectious song that set high expectations for the future album. Frontman Joel Madden wrote it aiming to have a song he could hear in the clubs and it's the only one of it's kind on the record. The rest of the record is a bit different and not always as good. The band admits on the new album they went more melodic and upbeat, which at times turns out to be more pop. Like sensitive ballad Where Would We Be Now which is influenced by a break-up with Hilary Duff. It features a romantic piano and it is actually the first song by Good Charlotte written for the instrument. There are a few danceable and strong tracks (like The River recorded in collaboration with M. Shadows of Avenged Sevenfold & Synyster Gates), at the same time Good Morning Revival shines with ridiculous ideas. The album is full of sing-along choruses, carrying cheesy pop tune that spoils the impression. Bells and horns in the chorus of Broken Hearts Parade that remind of some Disney cartoon song. Victims Of Love sounds too much like a Russian band t.A.T.u. Guys, do you honestly listen to fake lesbians or it's just the production? The first part of the album has a lot of electronic flourishes that diverse the music. At the same time it's more mature, revealing you the Green Day side of the band. The closer it gets to the end, the more you want to push stop bottom. The culmination is at the last track March On -- an example of how bad a punk-pop band can get, with all the necessary attributes -- cheap strings, primitive back vocals and weak falsetto. // 6

Lyrics: I guess most of the album's poetry was influenced by Hilary Duff. And I wish it wasn't. Sometimes it's sentimental as a cheap movie about love. March On tends to be tearful, but falls on the face with And I remember winters were so cold/Hunger was the only thing we know/ And rock'n'roll dreamin' was what saved us sounding unbearably false. Besides it doesn't rhythm. The lyrics sometimes are so poor that you want to believe Good Charlotte are just to making fun of themselves. But they are not. Singing about I've got brass knuckles hanging from my neck and my chain in Keep Your Hand Off My Girl they do think people will repeat the words, dancing to the song in da club. Not all the album is that bad though, and you can find a couple quite serious lines in the verses. Joel Madden is merely carrying the duty of being a vocalist without any enthusiasm about it. He sings the notes and even screams where it's necessary, but the emotions and variety are at a very mediocre level. // 5

Overall Impression: It's obvious Joel Madden has matured a songwriter -- not only he can write better songs like Misery, he also learned to write commercial and tacky tracks like Broken Hearts Parade that provide 80% of the album sales. Aiming to sound popular, Good Charlotte often end up sounding like a travesty to themselves. Take away that pop ingredient, and it would be a fairly good album. But it wouldn't sell that well. I believe Good Charlotte can make interesting and solid records, but it's the commercial part of the project that makes the critics shiver with disgust again and again. // 5

- Kosh (c) 2007

Good Morning Revival Reviewed by: stephenrock101, on june 20, 2007

Sound: This album is a completely new sound to the Good Charlotte we all know. It is a little more on the pop side of music but still has some very catchy songs on it. 'Broken Hearts Parade' and 'The River' are in my opinion the two best songs on the album. The intro to 'Broken Hearts Parade' is really catchy and you never get sick of it. 'The River' is one of the best songs I have heard in years and combined with vocals from Avenged Sevenfold this makes it well worth listening to. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are quite good but not as good as their other albums. 'The Broken Parade' is the best song lyrically in my opinion. 'Victims of love' also is a very good song while songs like 'Keep your hands off my girl' are'nt quite as memorable for their lyrics. Overall the lyrics are pretty average on this album compare to what we all know they are capable of producing and this is the main part of the album that disappointed me. // 7

Overall Impression: I loved some off the riffs in it such as in 'Broken Hearts Parade' but some songs like 'Keep your hands off my girl' where the band tried to mix punk and rap were very disappointing. I think their other albums are much better for sound and for lyrics but I would still say that this albums is well worth buying if you have the chance. // 8

Good Morning Revival Reviewed by: Jakelman10, on june 27, 2008

Sound: Good Charlotte has had a couple of good sounding, well liked albums but this one seems to top it all. The bands singer, Joel Madden had been dating Nicole Richie at the time of the album and this resulted in many well like songs in her honor but with all due respect, he is better when he sings about his father. The emotions in past albums such as, The Chronicles of Life and Death album show more devotion and emotion than songs on the current album. The band has not gotten shorter, though the emotional content is not as strong, the new electronic sounds has been a hit. In the bands glory, lays one great song which has been their first single on the album, Dance Floor Anthem. The keyboards clearly show a chnge in the bands sound and it is very much for the better. Guitarist Benji Madden, takes more control of the guitar as his co-guitarist Billy Martin takes the keys. The bands explotion of electronica is a hit and pulls togather many songs and the overall potential of the record. // 7

Lyrics: Singer Joel Madden has improved very much throughout his career. His voice in earlier albums were a little hoarsed and raspy, but his ability to reach higher notes has progressed and has proven to be one of the better singers of todays current pop rock. His ability is very hidden though. He does not go off on some weird vocal solo, he lets his band share the stage, which is great. His vocal ability has range, very helpful when it comes to the bands offerings of musical style. This new album shows how Madden can do many different vocals, each song being harder or softer, simple or complex, flat or sharp, this that the other. He can pull it off. The lyrics have fallen a tad short this album. Some songs are good but others have a better meaing. His relationship with Nicole Richie has gone well acording to the song, Something Else. Although the lyrics themselves, match the song, the meaning is very, somewhat, sing-songy. He is much better talking about something that he has grown from such as huis childhood, not some extra joy. Vocalitywise, is gret, lyric-wise, could be better. // 7

Overall Impression: Compared to other artists, this bands album has done farley well. The joy of listening is very warm and suddel. I enjoy poping in the disk, kicking back and listeing. Their introduction song sets the tone to the whole album and I was excited the first time I herd the song. I couldn't wait to hear the rest. The overall album was great, but my prediction is ina couple years, it might be looked at as a start of something great. // 8

Good Morning Revival Reviewed by: stjimmy1810, on september 12, 2007

Sound: This is the latest album from Good Charlotte. Good Morning Revival quite different from the past three albums. While their first album and second album are more to the punk rock side, and their third album more to the cleaner punk, 'Good Morning Revival' sounds nothing like the others. One of the most outstanding songs will be 'The River', 'Keep You Hands Off My Girl' and 'March On'. Some will even have difficulty recognizing them as Good Charlotte songs. However, no matter how different these songs may sound, they still rock! // 10

Lyrics: Songs like 'The River' talk about straying away from the light of good and being out on your own, before finally regretting your decision ad trying to find you way back home. Another great song with great lyrics will be 'March On'. The song talks about going through rough and trying times in your life, and telling you to March on, for if you can make it through the night you will see the sun. As for the singer skills, the singer may not be that good a singer. However, he has such a unique voice that it k=just seems to fit the songs perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: From the sound of it, you can easily tell that compared to other punk rock albums, this would be quite a different and unique album from the rest. The most impressive songs from this album will the almost every single song! The way that the album is composed and the way it sounds just makes it indescribable. If it was stolen or lost, I would most definitely buy it back. // 10

More Good Charlotte reviews rating latest review