The Young And The Hopeless Review

6.8
 7.4
 6.2
The Young And The Hopeless Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 14, 2004

Sound: Good Charlotte's guitarists don't play anything too difficult, it's mainly just 3 chords and 3 notes, but they carry the songs and add energy, aggression, and that rock edge. Theres usually a good riff/solo in every song. The bass player is great, he doesn't sound like he's playing unplugged like alot of bassists, you can hear the bass well. Its very catchy sounding and goes along with the songs well. The drumwork is superb, probably the best played instrument on the album. Very unpredictable and very fast at times. There is lots of different styles of music on this album, which gives it a fresh feeling and will make you not want to stop listening anytime soon. There's pop (Lifestyles Of The Rich & Famous, Girls & Boys), rock (The Young & The Hopeless, Movin On), emo (My Bloody Valentine, Hold On, Say Anything) and lots of other influences can be found throughout the album, for instance: some of the vocals in Riot Girl sound influenced by Rancid, the song "The Day That I Die" has a total Social Distortion type vibe, Girls & Boys sounds like it was influenced by an 80's new wave song, etc. Every song has a different tone to it as well. Some songs are fast paced pop-punk songs (The Anthem, Story Of My Old Man, Riot Girl, The Young & The Hopeless, Movin On), while others are mid-paced pop-rock songs (Wondering, Girls & Boys, The Day That I Die), and some are slow-paced pop ballads (Say Anything, Emotionless). These light touches make Good Charlotte's sound stand out from all the other bands in the pop-punk-rock genre. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are done well. Good Charlotte seem very sincere with their lyrics, and they rarely write about love and girls, and I applaud them for that. Many topics are covered, such as: not wanting to conform with others, famous people, absent fathers, materialism, comic horror, suicide, having fun before you die, what the world thinks of achievements, and moving on while keeping your faith. The fact that there many different topics covered and that GC has a great variety of different types of music make this album seem incredibely fresh and fun to listen to. What I mean is theres a song for any mood that your in. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a great album that never seems to get old. Its infectious, fun to rock out to, and very accessible to fans of pop, rock, emo, punk (thats stretching it a bit, but still), or just any kind of music. Don't let the bad talk around GC get in the way of your opinion, just judge them by what you think. // 8

The Young And The Hopeless Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 20, 2004

Sound: Hey, wait a minute, I think I've heard this before. Wait let me think. Oh yeah, sound like Simple Plan? You bet it does. There is nothing unique about this sound, nothing that makes you go "Now that is one kick ass lick" or "I want to go learn how to play that song." They use simple chords, and are turning into Lynard Skynard, in the sense that they have multiple guitar players doing the work of one. What? I'm forgetting the bass guitar? There's a bassist in that band? You could have fooled me! // 2

Lyrics: First off, the lyrics sound exactly the same as Simple Plan lyrics. Both are whiny, and do nothing but complain about how they don't like this or "girls are selfish" or "my parents beat me because I suck at playing and singing and I have no talent of my own." I don't want to spend 14 bucks on a cd that features nothing but whining *punk-rock* lyrics. Listen, if you want punk, go turn on some Rancid. // 2

Overall Impression: I think that the major success of this album is mainly due to the fact that most people who buy the cd don't have any musical background themselves. They think that anyone who makes it on MTV or in this case Nickelodeon which is a kid friendly channel is so unbelieveably cool that they should tell their friends to buy the cd because they sing about all their problems and how much they hate their life. In short, Good Charolette is a bunch of pre-pubecsent little boys dancing around with guitars saying "look mommy, i can play 4 chords now!" // 2

The Young And The Hopeless Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 25, 2003

Overall Impression: One of Good Charlottes albums and what can I say, an amazing CD full of mad solo's and powerful lyrics that will make you want to pick up a guitar and jam along. 'The Young And The Hopeless' presents a variety of songs from there hit single 'Lifestyles Of The Rich & Famous' to the moving lyrics of 'Wondering'(A song often mistaken to be a long song but was infact written about one of the guys dogs who also makes an appearence in their video for 'Lifestyle Of The Rich & Famous) So if your looking for some tunes that will blow your mind then go out and buy Good Charlottes 'Young And The Hopeless'. It's well worth the money my friends!! // 8

The Young And The Hopeless Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 29, 2003

Overall Impression: This is a great album from a punk style band. The only bad comments I have on this album is that sometimes the band cram in words to fit to the music to make the timing right. Other than that this is a great debut album the voices are good,lyrics interesting apart from the cramed in words as mentioned before the guitar riffs are exciting I'd give this album 4/5 and if you were thinking of buying it don't hesitate. // 8

The Young And The Hopeless Reviewed by: Ratiug318, on september 27, 2003

Sound: This second CD from the popular pop-punk band Good Charlotte is very promising indeed. Complete with crappy harmonies and annoyingly simplistic guitar parts, it is by far the most talentless CD I have heard in a long time--it's perfect for all of you mainstream, radio-friendly punk rockers. They are the most innovative band since Blink-182--wait--innovative isn't the word. I think the word I was searching for was talentless. I still cannot see why this band needs two guitarists. It just makes them sound crappier. The only stuff they are talented to put two guitar parts into has about 4 different notes. // 2

Lyrics: Wow, these lyrics are amazing. When finished with the CD I felt so complete, so finished. I think I just finished listening to the crappiest lyrics I've ever heard. I almost killed myself listening through the whole CD. The singer is delightfully whiny and moans himself to death. I just love hearing him sing about "my girlfriend broke up with me ten years ago" and "daddy, why did you hurt me so?" and "girls are selfish" and "the music industry is mean to me". Do they really think we WANT to hear them whine about their miserable lives? I sure don't. And does anybody else find these lyrics ironic? "Lifestyles of the rich and the famous, they're always complaining." Hmm...Good Charlotte are rich and famous, and here they are complaining about other rich and famous people complaining. I find that very amusing. // 2

Overall Impression: I love this CD's way of declaring self-idiocy. In a nutshell this CD sucks. It's the worst I've ever listened to in my life. Go listen to something talented like The Beatles, Clapton, Metallica, Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Foo Fighters, Audioslave, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Megadeth, etc. Now, with all those infinately better bands in mind, go listen to some TALENTED music such as those I just listed. // 2

The Young And The Hopeless Reviewed by: Nookieboy690, on september 29, 2003

Sound: The sound is great on this album. It's vintage punk at it's finest. I realize that a lot of the same chords are used over and over, but Benji has great solos, and for the most part, most of the songs are very catchy. // 8

Lyrics: If I should give any credit at all to GC, it would be in the band's great lyrics. They cover issues that many people can relate to, such as broken homes, the monotony of life, the hardships of love, the hardships of growing up, etc, and they do it without being corny. And I give them credit for actually growing up experiencing things. They sing and write what they know about. All in all their songs portray life in the most realistic sense, without being too serious or cynical. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great album with catchy songs and well-written lyrics. I recommend this to anyone who loves Blink 182, Green Day, etc. It's very real and relatable, but is also very playful and fun. To Paul (bassist), Chris (drummer), Billy(Guitarist), Benji (Guitar/Vocals), and Joel (vocals), I must give credit where credit is due. Those guys made one hell of an album, and have grown up a lot since the first self-titled album. If you're a punk fan and dont have this CD, I encourage you to get it now. // 10

The Young And The Hopeless Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 30, 2003

Sound: The Young and the Hopeless is blantantly mainstream pop-punk. However, the fact of the matter is that people need to look past their prejudices and listen to the acutal MUSIC. When you do this Good Charlotte are sounding fresh, catchy and hummable and thats all. If you think you're a big-shot alternative music lover who disses any thing that makes the top 40 then don't buy the album, but if you're free enough to listen to music that you like, go and get it. // 8

Lyrics: I think lyrically Good Charlotte are very calculated but once again if you can switch off it's not bad. The fact that they relentlessly try and appeal to the 'uncool' minority (majority?) of society is a little too blatant for my liking. It makes they sound very produced, as though they are there to lock into a nice market. More 'real' bands like Everclear write an album of songs about drugs and manic depression not the usual girls and parents. Pop-punk, however tends to dictate that lyrics will be about school girls and parents so Good Charlotte aren't going to far off the norm. Overall not bad but a little to calculating. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall I think this is a good album if you're willing to silence your inner cynic and just take in the feel of the music. If you can't or won't don't bother, you'll jsut end up pissed off. So buy the alubm if the you like the music, don't buy it if you hate the band. Peace Out // 8

The Young And The Hopeless Reviewed by: PRWNDWIA, on december 02, 2003

Sound: Ok first of all the drummer sould get much more regonition, He is easily the best muscian in the band! The drums are good no complaints, but the bass! They might aswell not have a bassist, you can hardly hear him and there isn't any decent bass riffs! The guiitar has a couple of decent riffs (girls and boys, hold on), but it mostly fits in with the lyrics. The vocals are good, but I woudn't really say they were punk. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are alright and they have done some clever stuff fitting them in with the music. One complaint with the lyrics would be that most of it is about their dad walking out on them, so there is'nt much variety. Joel can definetly sing, but as I said before he definitely can't do punk! As for benji his voice is just a bit too croaky. // 6

Overall Impression: This is not as good as their other albums in my opinion, but it is still ok. I think most people buy this album because they heard either lifestyles of the rich and famous, girls and boys or the anthem, but the other songs on this album are nothing like them! Theres a couple of songs on it I like, but theres a lot that I hate too, so really if it was lost I would get another album form another band. My advice if you like the songs I mentioned before buy the single! All in all this just another average album and is NOT PUNK AT ALL!!! // 6

The Young And The Hopeless Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 16, 2004

Sound: The music is awesome! Yes, the riffs are fairly simple, but sound great. They create a wide variety of music, from the slower paced ones like Emotionless, to the fast louder ones like Riot Girl. // 10

Lyrics: Benji and Joel write amazing lyrics for the songs. Joel sings from his heart and there is alot of heart and thought put into the lyrics. They are noe afraid to sing about what they want, and don't care about what others think. Emotionless is a very sad, emotional song written for their dad. They also sing about not wanting to be like everyone else, and how rich and famous people live. They also wrote a song, Hold On, in response to fans who were considering suicide. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this album is better than their first. It isn't hard core punk or anything and they even have said that, but it is punk. I think that compared to other artists and groups, these guys stay true to their fans, and are more "down to earth". They know what it's like growing up with a tough life and write songs that will help kids get through the day. In my opinion, the most impressive songs from the album are My Bloody Valentine, Hold On, The Young & The Hopeless, and Emotionless. I love how they write songs that kids can relate to. There really isn't anything I don't like about the CD. The Young & The Hopeless is definitely a cd you should go out and buy! // 10

The Young And The Hopeless Reviewed by: GC_Mest, on february 24, 2004

Sound: The sound has definitely matured since their debut album (self-titled 'Good Charlotte' and they've experimented with different guitar sounds and use more drums...in Hold On there are a few great drum 'solos'. The riffs are pretty basic, but still sound great, mayeb even because of the simplicity. // 10

Lyrics: For whoever said all the lyrics were about their Dad, that is in about two of the songs... The lyrics are one of the best features about this album - Benji and Joel did have a troubled upbringing, and this does come out in some of their lyrics, but isn't that what you should be writing about; things that mean something to you? // 10

Overall Impression: It's hard to chose between this album and the first one...they're both very different yet similar. I think maybe some of it could be too commercialised, but I still think it is a quality pop-punk album. I am truely glad I bought it...it's been played so much that I might need to buy another one! If you don't have it, Go And Buy It! // 10

The Young And The Hopeless Reviewed by: Kutless, on march 09, 2004

Sound: Good Charlotte's sound is something that not everyone likes. You either love it or you hate it. I love it, but not everyone will. Joel and Benji's voices go great with their punk/pop sound. The guitar riffs aren't that complex, but they sound good, simple as they are. They don't spend time on guitar solos and things like that, they seem to want to try to fill space with lyrics. // 8

Lyrics: POSITIVE - "The Anthem" talks about how the band doesn't want to be anything by themselves. "Lifestyles of the rich and the Famous" talks about how celebrities are always complaining about things when they have it so good. "Girls and Boys" makes the statement that "Girls and boys" are "losing their souls in a material world. "Hold on" incourages a friend to hold on through the tough times. "Emotionless" is a letter of forgiveness to Joel's and Benji's father for leaving them. NEGATIVE - the only negative message the album has is "bloody valentine." It talks bout how a guy his girl's new boyfriend. // 8

Overall Impression: Very good disc. Good lyrics, good sound, great cd. My favorite songs are "Girls and Boys," "The Anthem," and the title track. If you don't have the cd, go get it. // 10

The Young And The Hopeless Reviewed by: guitargal10, on june 01, 2004

Sound: One of a kind. All of their guitar, drums parts, bass parts fit perfectly into one another. They compliment each other in every way. This is a sound that everyone even if they dont like Good Charlotte will find at least one song on this album that they will like. Catchy pop-punks riffs, Heavier rock or bouncier pop, ballads, sometimes funny, emotion and serious, whatever you like. They capture a whole range of sounds that everyone will enjoy on this album. Definetly nothing is the same, but you can definetly tell they are not going out of their way and forcing the songs to sound differently, it sound like them the whole way through. // 10

Lyrics: Everything from helping suicidal people to making us laugh at girls and boys to making losers feel alright in the anthem, to poking fun at rich people. The lyrics are just incredibly awsome. They dont use lame rhymes like guy and buy, but you can tell its from the heart. Not to repitive, and you can definetly feel what they are saying. The lyrics go perfectly with the music, a really energetic feel that captures moments we often thought couldnt be explained. // 10

Overall Impression: The Young and th Hopeless will definetly make you feel better after you listen to it it will make you not just to sit around and do nothing, it definetly has a charm to it. Its one of those cds that not just one or two of those songs are good to listen then its done, but the whole album is something that will stay in your cd player for the whole 40 whatever minutes. Its definetly worth buying, even if maybe you didnt like one of their hit singles. I dont hate anything about it, Good Charlotte doesn't come close to being compared with someone else. // 10

The Young And The Hopeless Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 09, 2004

Sound: GC really grew up on this album. With a new drummer and a new upbeat vibe, GC can make even a mother want to listen to this music. It's great to listen to the 2 CDs together and point out where they grew up (guitar, singer, etc.) // 8

Lyrics: GCs lyrics actually have meaning to them, whether it be funny like "Girls & Boys" or a serious, like "Hold On". The lyrics Benji and Joel write are amazing and you can actually understand and sing to them! Joel is great a singer with a great voice. Benji is perfect for the background singer, him and Joel have perfect harmony together! // 10

Overall Impression: I loved both of GCs albums. The 1st showed that they where kids still learning, having fun, and the 2nd showed how much they took from the 1st and created it into something incredible! The part I loved about this album, is that songs make you feel good. And the videos on the CD part don't show stick-figured girls dancing around in underwear! What I hate is that my copy is burned! If it was stolen, I'd burn another copy from my friend or just go out and but it. If you buy this CD, your in for a real treat! // 10

The Young And The Hopeless Reviewed by: SURFraptor7, on august 25, 2004

Sound: The sound of this album is pretty simple instrumentally. I'm not really sure why there are two guitarists in this band, because mainly they both play the same thing, which can be irritating at times. If there were some lead riffs thrown in, it would do wonders for the sound. The bass is also mediocre at best. The drums are actually the best part of the music aspect on this album, although they tend to be repetitive (the drumline in "Lifestyle Of The Rich And Famous" is the same throughout the song.) This band is definitely a pop band with guitars. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics arent too bad, though there is far too much whining. Like I mentioned before, Way Too Much Whining and Bellyaching if the message were more positive or covered topics other than girls it would be much better. However, the lyrics are definitely heartfelt, which is good. The singer's voice is okay and it fits the music. // 6

Overall Impression: If you like good guitar riffs and solos, don't even consider buying this album. The same applies to any bass fans like most pop-rock bands (Blink 182, Simple Plan, etc.) The lyrics are the focal point of the album. The best songs (musically) from the album are "Riot Girl" and "Lifestyles Of The Rich And Famous". If it were stolen I probably wouldn't buy it again, because the new Relient K cd is coming and they are way better. // 6

The Young And The Hopeless Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 04, 2004

Sound: The hopeless definitely but definitely not the young. The equivilent of listening to this album is having a skyfull of crap dropped in your lap, and then dogs and various other wild animals devouring you and the crap in your lap. I mean seriously, who listens to this s--t? Oh, Wait thats why they entitled this album that, because the only audience they can actually get, are young, hopeless, miserable, stupid and stone deaf like chestnuts. // 2

Lyrics: By the time were dead these guys will be banging out tunes like "My Girlfriend Left Back In 94" back at the old folks home. Yeah maybe by the time were are all dead they will finally be over it. My grandmother writes better lyrics for the annual retirement home musical, under the influence of morphene. Yeah my girlfriend left me too, but I don't go and write crappy songs and then bribe the record labels to buy them. // 2

Overall Impression: It was relly good, I very much enjoyed this album and are looking forward to forking out 10 bucks to buy their graceful, deep music. This album really brought a ray of sunshine into my life. After my girlfriend left me this album, it really helped to take my mind off it. Well done Good Charlotte! // 10

The Young And The Hopeless Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 06, 2004

Sound: The recording quality is great. Although the guitar(s) lack substance, the tracks have lots of hooks and catchy choruses. I like the sound of the drums, they have a huge sound with a lot of bass. Like on the intro to "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous." // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are actually pretty good. I'm guessing Joel wrote all of these lyrics, considering most of these songs are about being hurt or how his daddy doesn't like him anymore. But again, like the guitar, the lyrics lack substance. Most of the lyrics are just not very descriptive at all and barely give enough to know what he's talking about. That's pretty much what all of the lyrics are like. Well, at least Joel can sing. Yes, he really can sing. // 6

Overall Impression: I like guitar driven music. I like hearing guitar riffs, solos, and fills. Despite the fact that this record barely has anything close to a solo or even a decent riff, I still find myself listening to this record. The choruses are catchy, and they are addicting. If this record were lost, and I had $15 laying around, I'd definitely buy it. The impressions I got when I heard this record were nothing like the impression I got the first time I saw Good Charlotte dressed like a hardcore punk band. // 8

The Young And The Hopeless Reviewed by: Sorcerer Steve, on november 25, 2005

Sound: The bands music is reasonable. They have some good singles on the album. They sing rock music and don't play very heavy music so don't be put off. Their instrument playing is quite good but nothing particularly special. // 5

Lyrics: The singing is quite good and the songs have sometimes humerous lyrics which will make you want to hear the songs over and over again. The lyrics sometimes don't sound like they are in the same track as the instruments though. // 6

Overall Impression: This album I don't think is as good as similar albums by other bands. The best songs on the album are 'The Anthem' and 'The Young And The Hopeless.' I like a few of the songs on this album but I don't like the fact that a lot of the songs don't sound right or sound the same as the previous song. I wouldn'y buy this album again if I lost it. // 6

The Young And The Hopeless Reviewed by: Fallout Fan, on december 23, 2005

Sound: The band was pretty much a clone of simple plan, if the Sigers were not different I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I think that they could get a little more original and learn a diiferent beat for they music its all the same and that drives me insane this is pretty basic music guitar bass drums and vocals thats all they have this music is either fast or slow there is no middle so just take that into cosidersation I'm not realy a fan of that but whatever // 5

Lyrics: The lyrics are fine I can't tell if they tell real stories or are just made up I guess they work with the lyrics for the most part, what is up with Joel and Benji I'm just going to say that's not why I buy thier CDs but at least they write thier own lyrics. // 5

Overall Impression: Does it compare? Yeah it's almost exactly like Simple Plan so I guess that counts. The two most imoressive songs are the Anthem and Myu bloody Valentine, these are the two most important songs for one reason I can relate and I think most other people can too. My favorite part of this CD is the two songs I have listed below if your a good charlotte fan there is not much to dislike about it but I would the way it sounds so much like Simple plan. I would buy this cd again, yeah I probably would. // 5

The Young And The Hopeless Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 15, 2006

Sound: Much like the previous album Good Charlotte leaped out of the boat with this effort, it says it all because the bassist for the band used the same Bass for all the songs on their self titled album. They certainlty grew up alot, and harnessed their capabilities with catchy riffs that make you want to pick up your guitar and play, effectivly they made a record that the listeners of pop and mild rock can understand. Each song isnt too over-produced, and it makes for a good listen. // 9

Lyrics: Theres something about this album that just warrants the volume to be turned up to that annoying point where it can be heard through the floorboards. Joel and Benji like much of you know are brothers, twin brothers at that, and with that they are acomplished song writers I guess everyone has that period in their life when their girlfriend is a control freak, and life just sucks everyday. I was 15/16 when I first heard this in 2003 and I was in high school and with the things that were going on in my life, I related to alot of the lyrics, which effectivley earned my respect for Good Charlotte. // 10

Overall Impression: I was very impressed with Good Charlotte's second effort 'The Young and The Hopeless' I loved everything about this album, it was just the right band at the right time for me, although The Offspring were the one and only band that I loved properly at that time but still the album has qualities that people should listen to, so they can find them. Overall a good album and with that it pushed them into the mainstream, and earned them some much needed respect in the musical world. Although people reject their sound, this album certainly borderlines Rock-Punk-Melodic Pop, go and buy it! // 10

The Young And The Hopeless Reviewed by: turnfoot, on october 02, 2006

Sound: The GC boys obviously didn't want to make a below average sophomore album. Even though I am not a big GC fan myself, this CD gives you a considerate amount of punk & is still quite enjoyable to listen to. Some people say that GC's songs have only 1 guitar part. But if you listen closely, it actually has 2 guitar parts in every song. As I said before this is typical punk. But with a darker, or even goth mix to it. Although this is not ground-breaking it is still above average & is a good listen. // 8

Lyrics: As always, here are my impressions on the lyrics: 01. A New Beginning - not really a song. Since it has no lyrics to it. Just an instrumental. But a nice 1 at that. It starts off very quiet & subtle with a choir & other instruments. But then explodes with drums & heavy guitars throughout the entire song. Great way to start the album. 02. The Anthem - typical punk song with typical punk lyrics. About being different & not doing as you are told. 03. Lifestyles Of The Rich & Famous - great song & my 2nd favourite in the entire album. The lyrics are exactly what the title suggests, the lifestyles of the rich & famous. 04. Wondering - catchy song. About finding someone that you could trust in. 05. The Story Of My Old Man - I really liked the intro to this song. The chorus is great too. The verses are fast paced. But when the chorus comes in it goes all subtle & quiet. Obviously this is about Joel & Benji's dad. 06. Girls & Boys - good song. Very catchy. I especially liked the riff on the verses. As the title suggests, this is about girls & boys & the stupid things that they do. 07. My Bloody Valentine - at 1st I totally despised this song. But it eventually grew on me. I hated the lyrics though. It's about killing a guy just to be with someone. 08. Hold On - I liked the chorus to this song. Very anthemic. But that's about the only thing I like. I hated the creepy whispering on the bridge. About holding on to life cause it will eventually get better. 09. Riot Girl - the most "punk" sounding song in the album. Due to the catchy power chords on the verses. About a hardcore/punk girlfriend. 10. Say Anything - 2nd best slow song in the album. Starts off with catchy bass & goes into a slow guitar riff & then acoustic. Another 1 of the three songs about the Joel & Benji's dad. 11. The Day That I Die - my favourite song in the album. This is about what you would do on your last day alive. Strangely, it gives you an uplifting feeling when you hear it. 12. The Young And The Hopeless - since this is the title track of the album, you already know that this is good. The most anthemic sounding song in the album. The best part would have to be the chorus. Typical punk lyrics though. About being young & hopeless. Also about not caring about what people think of you. 13. Emotionless - another great slow song from the GC boys. I loved the chorus & how they sing it. Also about the Madden boy's dad. And how even though he hurt & left them, they still miss him. 14. Movin' On - great intro to this song. I didn't like the chorus though. But I do love the solo. Very "punk-ish". The lyrics go quite well with the music. Especially on My Bloody Valentine. The song is about killing a guy to be with someone. So because of this, the riff is a bit creepy at times. I wouldn't say that Benji's voice is amazing. I would, however, say that he has a very unique voice & it fits very well on some songs. // 7

Overall Impression: This is the only GC album I've bought so I can't compare it to their previous or later work. But I have to compare this to other punk bands like Simple Plan, I would have to pick Simple Plan. It is still a great effort though & great for their sophomore album. The most impressive songs would have to be The Day That I Die, because of that uplifting feeling that you get when you hear the song & My Bloody Valentine, mostly because of the chorus & that strange/creepy riff & overall feel of the song. I also loved A New Beginning. It's very different from what you would expect from GC. As a rule, I would never buy the same CD twice. As it is just a waste of money. But even though this were stole/lost I wouldn't care. Cause I have it in my computer. But I was never really a punk fan so I wouldn't buy any more of GC's CD's. Good CD, but just not for me. // 8

The Young And The Hopeless Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 12, 2007

Sound: This is probably one of the best albums I've listened to. The music isn't overly complex but that's not what's really important. This album captures the spirit of rock and roll in every song. Songs like "The Anthem" and the title track really show that spirit of agression and rebellion that make this album so good. This album just plain rocks. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics to most of the songs are pretty good. Some of the songs like "Day That I Die" and "Hold On" are very striking and powerful. The lyrics get there point across and that's pretty much what matters. There are no point that make you cringe in disgust. The singer is also pretty good. I like the fact that he has an attitude and a personality. It may be a bit over done, but havving that sort of spirit is necessary for a frontman. // 9

Overall Impression: This is an amazing album. It shows the writing skill this band has. It shows a variety of different emotions captured perfectly while still holding that rock edge. There's nothing really impressive about the musicianship or the lyrics but it's very cohesive with some catchy hooks and rhythms that can get anyone pumped up. It's no Led Zeppelin of AC/DC but it's still special. I love it. // 10

More Good Charlotte reviews rating latest review