Gorillaz Review

gorillaz: Gorillaz
Released: April 24, 2001
Genre: Rap
Styles: Hip-Hop, Alternative Pop/Rock, Alternative Rap, Underground Rap
Gorillaz is a cutely caricatured blend of Albarn's eclectic Brit-pop and Nakamura's equally wide-ranging hip-hop.
 8.8
 8.6
 8.9
Gorillaz Reviewed by: THE KORNMAN, on july 09, 2004

Sound: The sound is wonderfully clear and vibrant. Everything has a full sound. Gorillaz is one of the few CDs I own which has such a wide variety of musical genres (Rock, Industrial, Thrash-Pop-Punk, Rap, Hip Hop, Techno, and Latin.) It is a very creative album and quite experimental. It also uses a wide variety of instruments, including: bass, guitar, drums, turntables, harmonica, piano, violin, harp, and other instruments. Gorillaz is great to hear before going to sleep, or just chillin' in your car. The sound is overall very impressive. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty good, but nothing extraordinary. 2D's voice, overall, is very cool and unique, but at times, it is hard to understand what he is saying. The lyrics definately groove with, and are smooth all the way through with the music. // 8

Overall Impression: Gorillaz is nothing like anyone I have ever heard in my entire life. These little cartoon characters (2D, Noodle, Murdoc, and Russel) are extremely unique and will definately leave a long-lasting impression even after the 100th time listening to this remarkable album. I love the creativity and genious of these little cartoons. They made me an instant fan back in 2001 when this CD was released. In my opinion, all of the songs are impressive and are astonishing. However, if I had to choose some favorite songs, they would be: Re-Hash, 5/4, Sound Check (Gravity), Dracula, and Left Hand Suzuki Method. If someone stole this CD, I would let them have it, just because they had such wonderful musical tastes but then I would definately be obligated to buy it again. // 10

Gorillaz Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 23, 2005

Sound: This album sounds very good considering that it's the bands debut (I think). The thing about the Gorillaz is that they sound good when they want to. An example of this is the appropriately titled "Punk." It seems that 2D a Co. wanted to capture the essence of punk rock, and they have succeeded by making it sound under-produced. I really like the sound of this album and I think it deserves a 5. // 10

Lyrics: From what I can tell, the lyrics are pretty average. I liked the rap lyrics on "Clint Eastwood" because they were original and complex. This wasn't the case of "Rock The House (Rock Da House)", unfortunately. They seemed to go with what the mainstream rappers wrote about (b--ches and ho's and whatnot). Although most of the time you can't understand what 2D is saying, I think the lyrics deserve an average rating. // 6

Overall Impression: This is a great experimental album, one that I wouldn't normally buy since I'm a punk-rocker who listens to Ludacris. The songs that stood out to me though are the singles, "Tomorrow Comes Today," "Clint Eastwood" and "19/2000." Other songs I liked are "Re-Hash," "5/4 (Five Four)," "Punk" (one of my favorite punk rock songs), "Latin Simone (Que Pasa Contigo)" and "Left Hand Suzuki Method." If someone stole this album I would chase them down the street, grab them by the arm and say, "Keep It" just so s/he could she how great it is. Then I would go buy it again. // 10

Gorillaz Reviewed by: carrotcake, on july 12, 2007

Sound: This band was sort of interesting when I first heard them. Since they're cartoons (in music videos, books, ect.) I thought they were a little weird, but cool. The first song I actually heard was "Clint Eastwood." I thought that song was amazing. So then I started looking for the album. This song was on a few of their albums so I decided to get their self-titled one. I loved it. Their music ideas are a strange mixture of rap, alternative, and jazz. I usually don't listen to those genres of music, but they make it sound good. The Gorillaz sound is amazing, especially the bass player, Murdoc. I love his style of playing, even though most of his riffs are repeated in the song he still makes it sound good. Same with the guitar player Noodles and their drummer Russel. They repeat riffs in a song but still make it sound good. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are kind of strange. In most cds there's usually a lyric book to read. They had one, it just had pictures of the band members in different places. So, I had to learn the lyrics by ear. The songs that stood out the most to me were: Clint Eastwood, 5/4, Rock The House, and Starshine. They're probably my favorite Gorrilaz songs by far. In "Clint Eastwood" and Rock The House" there was (I guess) a ghost rapper. I think he's like the ghost of Russel or something but I'm not sure. But anyway, I love the way he can rap about almost any thing through a whole song. But, the lead singer 2D, is way better. He has kind of a sad moody voice in some songs, and a happy, enerjetic voice in others. // 7

Overall Impression: I think this album compares to other Gorillaz albums. It was their self-titled and first album they released so I think it's very good. Once again, my favorite songs from this album would have to be: Clint Eastwood, Rock The House, 5/4, and Starshine. They kind of stand out more than the others in my opinion. What I love about this album is music creativty, it's very thought out. Something that I hate about this album would be that a few of the songs are a little boring. An example would be: New Genious (Brother), Man Research (Clapper), and M1 A1. They're not very interesting to listen to. If I lost this album or if it was stolen I probably would go buy another one, or find the guy that stole it. // 8

More Gorillaz reviews rating latest review
+ Plastic Beach 8.2 03/30/2010