A Perfect Absolution Review

Genre: Technical Death Metal
Label: Listenable Records
review (1) 14 comments vote for this album:
A Perfect Absolution Reviewed by: xicetraex, on march 30, 2012

Sound: Gorod makes a massive musical statement with the brutally catchy masterpiece known as "A Perfect Absolution". They didn't reinvent progressive technical death metal with this album, but they tread on plenty of new ground. It takes a few listens for your brain to fathom the awesomeness that is Gorod, but it is well worth it. The production on this album surpasses their past albums by far; guitars sound great, vocals sound great, drums sound good, and bass guitar is audible and quite entertaining at times. Gorod's sound has definitely evolved, and this is quite apparent as soon as the instruments kick in on the first track. // 9

Lyrics: I'll be honest: lyrics/vocals in this genre have never been a real concern to me. If the instrumental aspect is entertaining enough, I can overlook vocals. I personally prefer growls along the likes of Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth) or Johan Hegg (Amon Amarth). With that being said, I never was too big on Gorod's vocals on past albums (this was due to poor production). However, their new vocalist serves them well, and I am definitely a fan of the new style. Lyrics do a great job at times of setting moods in songs and match up with instruments impeccably. Changes in vocal tone throughout the album keep songs feeling varied and prevents the material from going stale. No complaints here. // 9

Overall Impression: Gorod are one of the best bands in their genre, and I can say that this album is one of their best. I thoroughly enjoy every song on this album, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who's a fan of death metal or mind-boggling fretwork. Every song is filled with awesome moments, but particular songs to look out for are: "Carved In The Wind", "5000 At The Funeral", "Elements And Spirit", and "Varangian Paradise". Seriously, buy this album. // 9

Comments