Graveyard Review

graveyard: Graveyard
Released: Sep 10, 2007
Genre: Hard Rock, Psychedelic Rock
Label: Transubstans Records
This is a very unique album even for one coming out of Sweden's psychedelic rock/ doom metal scen.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.9
Graveyard Reviewed by: Thrash.aholic, on september 06, 2010

Sound: This is a very unique album even for one coming out of Sweden's psychedelic rock/ doom metal scene; this is a rock album but with elements of doom and stoner metal. The guitarists' tones are very smooth and pretty clean with just enough distortion to add sustain but the riffs and feel of the music has a very relaxing feel to it like that of doom metal bands such as Black Sabbath and newer bands like Witchcraft. The drums and bass support the music in a fantastic way adding different beats and rhythms to the lead riffs- like Thin Lizzy and early Scorpions. The singer's voice is a mix of hard rock and doom metal but it does not get too deep and a lot of the lyrics are audible. Take note that this may be a psychedelic and doomy album but the songs go by pretty fast with increases and decreases in tempo and the music never gets bland so this is a great starter acid rock/ stoner metal/ doom metal album; and for people who already tried listening to doom bands like Pentagram and newer ones like Shrinebuilder, give Graveyard a chance because it has a heavier rock element to it then it does on the doom side. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very deep and make the listener think quite a bit, especially on songs such as "Right Is Wrong" and "As The Years Pass By, The Hours Bend". These lyrics fit the music perfectly and so does the singers voice which is pretty clean for the most part but he does scream sometimes and the other guitarist also sings in support but never does his own verses/ choruses. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my favorite doom metal/ acid rock album of the past two decades so I definitely recommend it to any rock or metal fan -unless you're a huge death metal fan that usually only sticks to heavier forms of metal. My favorite songs from this album are probably "Submarine Blues" and "Satan's Finest" which were both featured in skate videos which is how I found out about them, so basically if you like faster passed doom metal and psychedelic rock and can handle bands like Witchcraft, The Sword, and Flower Travelin' Band then you will probably like this. If you aren't familiar with this form of music but you skate then check it out anyways because I have yet to meet a skater that dislikes this album. // 10

Graveyard Reviewed by: iommi600, on february 29, 2012

Sound: First album by Swedish hard rock band Graveyard, released in 2007 through Tee Pee Records. I honestly think these guys came straight from 1970 or something like that. Its lineup consisted of Joakim Nilsson (guitar, vocals), Rikard Edlund (bass), Axel Sjberg (drums) and Truls Mrck on guitars, but this last one was replaced by Jonatan Larocca-Ramm just weeks prior to the recording of this album. In this album, you can find all that was going on by the 70's: hard rock, blues rock and psychedelic. The album goes from heavy psych stuff like "Evil Ways" and "Submarine Blues" from slower, psychedelic influenced tunes like "Blue Soul" and "Thin Line". Guitar work here is just great. I love how it's just simple and beautiful. You know, a few chords and standard blues solos on pentatonic. Still, it's freakin' effective, just like it was in the 70's. It may sound like an oxymoron, but its tone is just heavy and smooth. I also love the rhythm section. Bass is really loud, but I mean, loud enough. It just gives the whole thing an amazing boost when it comes to heaviness. Drumming here is also wild, with solid and crazy beats. This guy sure thing knows how to get out of that "hi-hat/snare the whole song". Another interesting fact is that the whole album was recorded with analog equipment, so I'm not kidding when I say this really sounds like 40 years ago. Awesome album. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics here are really blue and deep. They go from themes like unsatisfaction, like on "Evil Ways", to drug abuse ("Thin Line") and confusion and woe ("Lost in Confusion", "As The Years Pass By, The Hours Bend" and "Blue Soul"). There's also other themes like on "Satan's Finest" and "Right Is Wrong", talking about "sinful" things like woman, money and booze in a good way. When it comes to Joakim's vocals, I think they're one of the finest things in this band. He can sing both powerfully and calmly, it just depends on what the song asks. His voice somehow remembers me of Robert Plant. // 9

Overall Impression: Well, enough said. This album is just awesome, and if you never listened to it, go listen now. If you're interested in hard/psychedelic/blues, get ready to have your mind blown away. Also, check out their second album, "Hisingen Blues", released in 2011, which is another great record. I would point "Thin Line", "Right Is Wrong" and "Satan's Finest" as the best songs here, but in my opinion, all songs here are great. A must have for any fan of the cited genres, and I'm really proud of having the 2 albums by these guys. If I would buy it again if I lost it? No doubt. // 10

More Graveyard reviews rating latest review
+ Lights Out 8.6 11/07/2012