1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour Review

artist: green day date: 11/12/2012 category: compact discs
green day: 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour
Released: 1991
Genre: Rock
Tones: Freewheeling, Cynical/Sarcastic, Brash, Rousing, Humorous, Raucous, Irreverent
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Punk Revival, Punk-Pop
 Lyrics: 8.9
 8.7
 9.2
 8.2
1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: First off, I would like to ponder why this is the first review of this album. Could it be that it is near older than I? Mabye because it isn't mainstream Green Day sound. Both are a possibility, but I believe it is because NO ONE HAS IT! The sound of this album is quite different than Billie Joe's "normal sound." He gives a sound similar to the ex-lead singer of Five Iron Frenzy. Those interested in his Basket Case, Good Riddance, and Brain Stew sound will not find what they are looking for. The bass riffs are insane compared to what you will find on any of International Superhits or any post-Dookie disk. The drumming on track...well, all of them are mind pounding fast and trey looks like hes barely breaking a sweat on all of them. I mean, these riffs are things that would look like a thing of beauty to Lars(Metallica). The innovative beat in "Green Day"(track 5) are percusion harmony...The greatest thing for me to find was that track 3, entitled "I was there," moves away from the power chord sound we have all come to know as Green Day. Finally, BJ Armstrong's voice is perfect to go with his self-written, self-played riffs. Oh yeah, and there are 3 songs in which he plays metal solos... // 10

Lyrics: Well, this is a hard one. My first impression of the vocals in the album were "oh no," and "this was a waste of $16.00." I was one of those people expecting the Billie Joe we see on MTV, Fuse, and Letterman. Then I looked at it from a musical standpoint. These are great vocals, and they improve as the disk goes on. Not only do they improve, they improve again. Not to say the first 10 songs(taken from their first underground) are crappy, but the next 9 (that's right...there are 19 songs on this B1TcH) are awesome! The lyrics themselves are different than anything you will ever hear from them. For example let me hum you a few bars. Sit down for a while, And mabye if you smile, then you'll realize that we're all the same Honestly, how often do you hear them talking about smiles? Quite refreshing. The backing vocals by Dirnt are precise and crisp, but nothing special, seeing as he NEVER sings without Billie taking the lead. // 10

Overall Impression: Using variations on power chords. That still sound good distorted is a thing of art, and I am now proud to say I am a Green Day fan. Even through this they have left the simplicity and creativity we find fun. Unfortuinatly, there are some things i dont like on it. The "Knowledge" cover (originaly by Operation IVY) was less than sub-par, and "Rest" is a waste of time. I am surprised this album didn't get mainstream credit with songs such as "I Was There," "Going To Pasalaqua," "16," and best of all, "Road To Acceptance." This disk is definitely one to buy for anyone who has a need for something new (I know, it's 14 years old...don't ask, just buy). Please buy this record, review it, and give my review some backing. // 10

1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour Reviewed by: Donkey Fly, on november 12, 2012

Sound: I got this today. I was expecting it to be an average album. I already had 2 or 3 songs from it on my computer so I bought it 'cause of that. This is really an amazing album. All 19 songs are great, even though it sounds like it's been recorded in a tin can it's still has a nice punk rock feel to it. The solo's are amazing, they are totally different to the solos they do now with octaves etc, there fast and furious, sounds like a rock album. The CD was released in 1990. John Kriftmeyer the original drummer left just before it was released. You'll find on the back of the booklet it says John as the drummer. It is a punk based album with a cover copy of Operation Ivy's 'Knowledge' this is the quietest song on this album. What am I calling it an album for, as it's actually a compilation of songs from LP's such as 1000 hours and other EP's. All though the songs all sound same there still 5 star. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are typical Green Day style. Their lyrics in 'American Idiot, EP' are more grown up if you like. Most of there songs on this CD are about girls, they want a girl or want a girl to leave them alone etc., e.g. 'What is it that drives me mad/Girls like you I never had'. 'Last night I had a dream and she was in it again'. The lyrics are powerful and fun. Billie joe still sounds pretty much the same. His singing is still clear and loud in these earlier albums. Mike has improved alot though, even though he sounds good in the older albums, his tone has improved in the later albums. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an awesome album, even though it's not better than 'Dookie' it is still one of their best. The drumming is good, vocals and the guitar riffs are catchy and fun. The rendition of 'Knowledge' is great. The most impressive songs on this album are, Green Day, At The Libary, Going To Pasalacqua and The One I Want, although there all 5 star songs, these songs have just got an extra touch. The only thing that annoyed me was the drumming on the song 'Green Day' but I've grown to like it and its one of my favourite songs now. If this album was stolen I'd definately buy it again, it's worth it. // 10

1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour Reviewed by: ryda18, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Different approach to what I've heard - bought American Idiot, then Dookie, then this. Billie Joe's vocals are stil very distinctive, you know only he could think of the wacky lyrics and sing them in his style. Mike and drummer (forgotten his name) are very good too, with catchy bass licks and drum bits (whatever you call them, I don't know). Sound is very trashy and distorted, seem to use feedback alot. Excellent. // 9

Lyrics: As I said, lyrics are very different to most other bands. Most of the songs are generated around Billie Joe wanting a girl/having a girl/losing a girl, and so are lovey but in a punk kinda way, but pulled off with style. Don't Leave Me, 1,000 Hours and At The Library are all good examples of this (and very good songs too). // 9

Overall Impression: Fav album out of 4 I currently have (American Idiot, Dookie + International Superhits). Very appealing to teenagers after a girl they can't get. Great album. // 8

1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour Reviewed by: -@GIAN@-, on november 12, 2012

Sound: I was impressed by Green Days sound on this album, and I can tell that their style had changed after they signed with Reprise Records. Here, you'll find guitar solos, something Billie Joe Armstrong has never been a fan of (reminiscent of guitar hero Johnny Ramone). Rather than just power chords, Billie Joe uses a lot more picking in his music, like in the "At The Library", where power chords would have been sufficient. There style reflects their gritty punk upbrining and this album is one most punk albums they have out there. The mixing isn't the best here, and the guitar parts aren't too clear, but it makes up for it with a lot of bass, for fans of the low end. // 9

Lyrics: Billie Joe's lyrics are as young as he is. The subject of the music have to do with young love, growing up, leaving home, and being a teenager. It goes with the music well, and Billie Joe's sense of humor is developing. His voice is wilder here, too, but in a good way. His voice moans when the lyrics are whiney and wails when it kicks up. I like his voice on this album, but his lyrics aren't the best, and, as a fan of Green Day, improvement was welcome. // 7

Overall Impression: I think that, as Green Day's debut, it's good. As an album, okay. I love listening to it, though, and I find the songs catchy. I would buy this again if I lost it, but I wouldn't recommend this to too many people. It know that this album is for fans of Green Day and fans of punk. // 8

1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour Reviewed by: ratmblink123, on november 12, 2012

Sound: When you think Green Day, you probably think of that Emo wannabe band that all of the preteen girls love. But let me assure you, back in the day, they had some skill in writing music. The album was created in 1991 and Billie's voice apparently still had some deepening to do. Though the newest Green Day albums are filled with simple power-chord riffs, this album actually had a few ripping solos in it. My impression is wow. // 9

Lyrics: Most of the lyrics in this album are boring love song lyrics, but that doesn't slow down the songs any. Billie's singing isn't the best, but it's better than it is nowadays. The lyrics in the album tend to be a little repetitive, but all in all, they still serve their purpose as the melody. // 7

Overall Impression: This album is a lot like Kerplunk!, Green Day's second album, except for the solos. My favorite songs are Disappearing Boy, Green Day, 16, The Judge's Daughter, Only Of You, and I Wanna Be Alone. I it were stolen or lost, I would buy it again. And again. // 9

1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour Reviewed by: ThunderbirdGirl, on november 12, 2012

Sound: I think this album is amazing! The solos are Billie Joe at his best. 'Green Day' has a great solo, even if it's not some crazy-insano solo like on some other songs. 'Dissapearing Boy' has a great guitar intro. 'I Want To Be Alone' is genius (The guitar intro and solo is nice). The bass and guitar balance eachother out nicely on all of the songs. The drums are a little snare-heavy on some, but not all. The bass riff on 'Green Day' is incredible. I've heard from a lot of people that they don't like 'Rest', I think it's a nice alternative to the straight chords and killer solos. I'm a bassist, so I really love 1, 039/S.O.S.H. Mike is amazing here. The basslines are so complex. In this album the bass is not used as a background instrument the whole time. In a lot of the songs Mike is right up there with Billie. The drum parts are a lot different than those on later albums, but that's only because John is on drums instead of Tre. Some of the guitar lines are a little over the top, but it's not my decision what Billie should have or shouldn't have played. Sure it's not all typical Green Day, because they've changed a lot since this was released. I really think there's no such thing as a bad GD album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, well, pure Green Day. It's not what you'd expect, but it is still very nice. I think the lyrics capture exactly what it was like to be GD at the age they were. Some songs are pure punk, while others are about love found/love lost. It's truly amazing. I love the sound of Billie's voice on 1, 039 because it's so young compared to American Idiot or even Dookie (those are both amazing albums, though). 'I Was There' was written by John and has great meaning. 'Green Day' is halarious in a sense. At some times the lyrics are hard to understand but if you read the booklet in the case, it all falls into place. I actually looked up the meanings to the songs just because I'm a total Green Day fanatic, but, hey, who can blame me when they're truly amazing. // 9

Overall Impression: I think this truly captures the beginnings of Green Day. The lyrics, guitar, bass, drums, everything mixes with the others and makes for a truly captivating sound. It's hard to hate anything about it, but 'Knowledge' just doesn't really fit in with the other songs. I think some of the best would have to be: 'Green Day', 'I Want To Be Alone', '1,000 Hours', and 'At The Library'. I really think this is one of the best things Green Day has released. But Dookie still takes 1st Place! If it was stolen, someone would be in deep crap. // 10

1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour Reviewed by: tumble, on november 12, 2012

Sound: This albumn isn't that far off the kerplunk sound really, with some pretty cool fast solos not usually associated with Green Day. The sound is what you would expect from an earlier younger Green Day you can hear the difference from this album to Dookie, Dookie is just more grown up. I cant see any reason why this couldn't have been green days breakthrough albumn. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are typical bored youth, fed up with my girlfriend, weed smoking depression type. I'm not saying they're not really well written or cleverly constructed though cuz they are! You'll find yourself singing along to some real catchy riffs that fit the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: My fave songs without a doubt are don't leave me/dissapearing boy/ and 16 they're not too hard to play but sound so good and the bass lines are wondering all over the place, amazing. I would definitely buy it again if I lost it. The nearest thing to this album is kerplunk. // 10

1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour Reviewed by: ElectricParade, on november 12, 2012

Sound: The area where 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours is sound. This album clearly sets itself apart from most of Green Day's albums (and other artists' from the early 90s) through the innovative use of instruments and a unique, diverse sound. Those seeking the driving post-grunge pseudopunk of Dookie, the dark and cynical Insomniac, or the melodic Shenanigans, will not find what they are looking for. 1,039/Smooth is powered by insane improvised solos, impressive basslines, and none short of incredible drumming. This album wastes not one of its nineteen tracks - The sound ranges everywhere, from the cliche (in a good way) four-chord progression of "Dry Ice", and a catchy beat and excellent solo in "Paper Lanterns", to the strange blues-esque cover of Operation Ivy's "Knowledge" and the vintage-y "Don't Leave Me" (which my band recently covered at a show, BTW). Overall, 1,039/Smooth is unexpected and none short of incredible in terms of sound. // 10

Lyrics: Some may consider the album's "downfall" to be the lyrics, but they accurately express teenage angst in a distinctive, relatable voice. Yes, most of the vocabulary is underdeveloped and in some cases sloppy, it is very suited to the sound and the situations presented in the songs: Crushes on girls ("The Judge's Daughter" and "Dry Ice"), Sitting in your room with the door locked ("I Want to Be Alone"), and some good old teenage desparation ("Don't Leave Me"). Billie Joe was also a talented vocalist early on in Green Day's career. Although most of the immaturity is outweighed by the instrumental talent of the band (and the incredible fun of singing along), but some parts still stick out, and therefore I must give it a four out of five. // 8

Overall Impression: As a Green Day album, 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours already makes it into my favorites, and rightfully so. It is diverse, and truly shows off the raw talent that the whole band posesses, even early in their career (this WAS their first release). It is worth every penny! It is a truly different experience for Green Day fans. I would definately buy it again if I lost it. I like every song on the album (all are fun to play on the guitar as well), but my favorite songs have got to be "Don't Leave Me", "16", "Road to Acceptence", "Knowledge", and "Dry Ice". The only thing I can say I didn't like was a few spots in the lyrics, but for the most part, 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours is a solid, seamless album that is sure not to disappoint. // 10

1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: I love this CD, the sound is different than the punk music we've come to know and love. It's like old school punk. Billie has some really awesome, AC/DC-type, solos. It shows off the great musicial talent of Billie. Mike also has great bass riffs, like in "Green Day" it stands out, and in the Operation Ivy cover, "Knowledge" it rocks! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are awesome, many of the songs are about girls and love, and really stand out. Billie's singing is awesome in this CD, he just puts more emphasis in his singing than in the later CD's. Mike also has great vocals, for backups, great hamonys. // 10

Overall Impression: The CD is just great! I'd have to say it really stands out compared to the rest of their CD's (which are all great), but the singing and guitar riffs are just great, it's hard to explain really. The only thing I can say I hate about the CD is that I didn't buy it sooner. If it was stolen I'd probably buy a few backups really, depends how much I have on me. Buy it! // 10

1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: This sound is very different to the Green Day we have all come to know and love. This was the very beginnings of the sound that changed punk-rock forever. It was this album, and "Kerplunk" that set the scene for Green Day's amazing musical talent, and although the sound was somewhat left behind when Green Day did "Dookie" (1994) this album certainly displays the roots from which the original sound came from. Billie Joe's guitar work is amazing and the solo's are absolutely mindblowing. The solos on this album are like any other on any other Green Day album. They are quiet unique! Mike's bass work is also amazing in this album. It shows how well developed the sound is and he really works on Billie's guitar work. This is also the album that 'sounds' Green Day's original drummer John Kiffmeyers work. The drums are very similiar to that of Tre Cool's, and the sound hasnt changed much from this album to the next, and so forth. The only thing about this album is the sound quality isnt very good. Any Green Day fan would know this was of cause there debut album and, one of the first of many albums released by the infamous Lookout! Records, which Green Day were 'pioneered' to from the beginning. 1, 039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours was one of the first albums released by Lookout! Records, and the recording quality isnt very good. But as far as the quality of music goes, this album is 100%! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are mostly driven by love and teenage emotions. Billie Joe, being an adolencent at this time wrote about these sort of things to help him but to also spread the message about 'love' in general and all of the bad times, and heartbreaks that come with it. This is also the record that plays the first song Billie Joe ever wrote, at the age of 14 "Why Do You Want Him?" which was about his mother dating another guy so 'soon' after his own fathers death (Billie Joe's father died of cancer when he was 10 years old). Unlike many punk bands that just thrash their music out with lyrics, the melodies and harmonies in this song were very well thought through. They are easily listening and soothing on the ears. Probebly not as easy to listen to as the newer Green Day material but once again, this really shows where the band originally came from and if your looking for a real solid Green Day sound, then this is the album for you. Amazing stuff. // 10

Overall Impression: The album is brilliant! I don't usually carry on about albums like this one, but it has to be said. This of cause being Green Day's debut album probebly isn't the best of quality when it comes to recording (feedback, etc), but it certainly deserves recognition as much as "American Idiot," or "Nimrod" (etc) has. It's one of the best records I have ever listened to and it is a must for any punk-rock, or Green Day fan. // 10

1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: OK this is the last Green Day album I bought (now have all 9), and to be honest I didn't expect much as its their first album, I thought it was going to be disappointing. Wrong! The sound on this album is actually incredible and different to all their other later music. It has a typical punk sound, but with some more rock-sounding solos that sound awesome. The riffs are catchy, but the downside is they do sound like some of the later riffs like 'when I come around'. But to be honest, who cares. This albums sound is amazing and makes up for this and more. // 10

Lyrics: There's not much I can say about lyrics, lyrics are lyrics, this album is obviously Green Day style lyrics. They are repetitive in a punky way which I think really suits it. Billy can sing very well especially for a first album. Not a bad thing to say about the lyrics or singing. Excellent. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is probably the best punk album I own, and I'm not even a punk-sorta person (though I am sitting here in a Blink 182 t-shirt hehe). I am into bands like Lostprophets, Funeral For A Friend, Red Hot Chili Peppers, so basically if you like any kinda rock music you will love this album. I can't choose a favourite song, they all flow brilliantly. I wouldn't choose to listen to one song, it'll be the whole album. I gotta say, as its the last Green Day album I needed, this is my favourite (followed by Dookie). What I like most about it is the music, it is different to all their new stuff. They usually have small melodic solos, but this album brings out some great talent in Billy's guitaring, proper hard-rock styled solos, that I even might have trouble playing some of them. A great guitar album and punk album. Another thing worth mentioning is that there are 19 songs on it and this is great because its not a short album. I finished listening to it the first time and would have put it straight back on again if it wasn't gone 1 in the morning! Next time I go to Green Day concert (saw them in Milton Keynes with Taking Back Sunday and Jimmy Eat World, they all kicked major ass). I demand they play more from this album. But this album, its a necessity to your CD collection! // 10

1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour Reviewed by: 2muchTV, on november 12, 2012

Sound: The sound of this album is ok. It really is kinda of a ringing and blah sound. I mean it still has plenty of distortion and still is a badass sound, but I think the way it was recorded was very low-budget. It is a very original sound considering it is still a punk album. // 7

Lyrics: They are a little repetitive but still good. Billie Joe is a great singer and makes any lyrics work (Knowledge is a perfect example). The lyrics are not really punk lyrics but they still seem to fit in with the music very well. More of an unhappy, emotional lyrics than a lot of the other punk bands (I know GD isn't really punk anymore, but face it, they used to be. // 9

Overall Impression: I think this is actually a very original album, even though the music is somewhat simple (not as simple as newer Green Day). It is very good. Most people can apply the words to their life so that may help. my favorite songs on the album are At The Library, Dissappearing Boy, I Was There, and Going To Pasalacqua. There are I think 19 songs on the CD so there is plenty to like. I like how BJ has some real solos. He even gives some classic rock touches in a couple. I don't like the sound quality and that is pretty much it. If it were stolen or lost I would definitely get it. Although my review may sound rather weak, I really do love this CD. At first when I listened to it (I had been a huge Dookie fan at this point), I thought the songs all sounded the same and I couldn't identify any of them. I thought it was garbage and I never listened to it again until earlier this year. It seemed to take a whole new meaning in my life and each song sounded completely different. It is now one of my favorite CDs. So definitely give it a second chance. // 10

1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour Reviewed by: grnday, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Green Day is my all favorite band, because they have acheived so much in the music industry and they have created great music and have great personalitys. I like 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours punk sound, actually that drove me to actually go out and purchase this CD. // 8

Lyrics: I'd have to say that the lyrics on this album don't have as great of a sound compared to Green Days other albums, but they have a meaning and they sound great with the catchy riffs. I'd have to say that Billie Joe Armstrong has a very nice tone of singing voice for a punk singer. // 6

Overall Impression: I'd have to say that this album was not given the credit it should've, I think that this album could easily measure up to many others out today. I'd have to say that the songs that most stuck out to myself were '16' and 'I Was There' with there catchy riffs. One other thing that I'd like to point out about this album is that I love the CD cover, it looks really good. // 7

1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour Reviewed by: rakizta_GDC, on november 12, 2012

Sound: The sound is not that different from their other albums. In this album Tre wasn't their dummer instead it was Al Sobrante but still the drums are great. Though the recording is pretty rough they are still able to come up with great and catchy tunes. Although there some low points in the album with regards to the song Rest which you would find tiring to hear. The guitar, bass and drums jive together to form the "Green Day" sound that we are all familiar with. The most distinct part of this albums sound are the solos. Some are like non-other that we have heard from Gren Day. Billie plays amazing metal solos in this album which really caught my attention. They give an additional feel to the song. Although some of the solos tend to be repetitive, overall the sound is amazing. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics tend to revolve around the experiences of a teen. Billie's experiences contributed to the formation of the lyrics. Though the meaning behind the lyrics are somewhat similar the songs still have distinctions from each other. Billie's voice is great, though not as great as it is today, it still goes well with music. The lyrics somehow remind me of my own experiences, that's why to me they are great. The lyrics give the music additional depth and brings out emotions. // 8

Overall Impression: Probably my favorite among all the Green Day albums. Their debut album is really worth hearing, it really shows the punk side of Green Day. It is a great album a great start to their career. The song are great I wouldn't get tired hearing them over and over again, in fact ever since I had the album it's been in my cd player all the time. My favorite song would probably be Dry Ice and Why Do You Want Him? they are great songs and have amzing solos. If it was stolen or lost I wouldn't think twice of retrieving it or better yet I would buy a new one. // 9

1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour Reviewed by: sTjImMy83091, on november 12, 2012

Sound: A thoroughly more complex guitar sound than that of post-Dookie CD's, considering Billie Joe's the only one playing it. Filled with solos inspired by BJ's love of metal, and some unexpectedly catchy bass riffs for a nineteen-year-old, the only aspect that isn't up to par at all are the drums. Al Sobrante (John Kriftmeyer) really has nothing on Tre, rarely breaking from the generic one-downbeat-on-the-snare-keep-hitting-the-high-hat rhythm. // 8

Lyrics: Considerably different from the Green Day of today, they rangs from love, to family issues, and then back to love, with some actual nods towards the possibility of a higher being - being Christian, this is an unusual side of the band that I enjoy through and through. No profanity spare the Operation Ivy cover "Knowledge" - again, a suprise. // 10

Overall Impression: Without a doubt my favorite Green Day album to date. And to think half the songs were written before they turned 15! In addition, it shows, when taken into context with Dookie, how a little garage band with a minimal fanbase can explode into mainstream, without changing their style in any way, shape or form. // 9

1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour Reviewed by: alexc123, on november 12, 2012

Sound: I think the sound the band gets on this album is amazing as it was only made for a couple of 100 dollars. Its just gutiar bass, drums and vocals. The guitar is great with a lot of crazy improvised solos and the bass and drums are class aswell. Billie Joes singing is also very good and there are alot of cool harmony style things on this album. I would say the style of the album is pop-punk. It's probably the most poppy greendays ever been. So mabye the gutiar on the album is not the most challenging thing ever tolearn but it sounds good and is easy to learn and cover with your band. This is greendays first album and I have noticed the solos sound more difficult on this than any of the later ones which is kind of weird. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are in my opinion great! So what yes nearly all the songs are about girls or smoking pot for the first time, but greeday wrote some of these lyrics at the ages of 12. They were teenagers what else would they be thinking about? Politics? I dont think so! The lyrics are well written on most songs, some dont make sense but hey its all good. The singing skills like I said are good. Billie joe used to sing all the time when he was 5 so he was not a new comer to singing. Billie and mike harmonise well and it sounds great. // 9

Overall Impression: I believe this is greendays best album. I just feel its raw with lots of emotion. Its not a very well known album but I believe this some how makes it better. It apeals to young people more because its written by young people and you can in a way relate with the songs. The albums full of great riffs and catchy choruses. Some great songs on the album are, don't leave me, Going to Pasalacqua, Disappearing Boy and Paper Lanterns. I can't find anything wrong with the album but thats just my opinion. If some one stole this from me I would try and get it back or buy a new one. This is well worth buying if your a hardcore greenday fan or someone new to them. // 10

1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour Reviewed by: thegrimace1039, on november 12, 2012

Sound: The sound of the album would have to be punk rock. Not like hard core punk or '70s punk rock but still conected to the punk sound. Billy Joe put actual solos into allmost all the songs witch as you can tell dosen't all ways happen on the new albums. Mike is amazing as always. But Tre doesn't play the drums on this album it is John Kiftmeyer who actualy does a vary good job. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are all about their actual life not government or any outside issues. Most song are about girls and drugs. Billy Joe showes off his amazing talent once again and once again Mike has amazing harmonie. // 9

Overall Impression: This by far beats Warning, Shenanigans, Nimrod, and American Idiot. My other favorite albums witch this is equal or beter than are Kerplunk, Dookie, and Insomniac. My favorite thing about this album is it brings you back to the basics of Green Day and where the started. If I lost this album I would by et again no question. If you don't have it get it realy I mean right now! // 10

More Green Day reviews rating latest review