American Idiot Review

artist: green day date: 11/12/2012 category: compact discs
green day: American Idiot
Released: Sep 21, 2004
Genre: Rock
The new album follows the theme of America, and their latest B-Side track, Favorite Son appeared on the Rock Against Bush Vol. 2 compilation.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 8.2
 8.7
 7.6
American Idiot Reviewed by: PsychoWolfD, on november 12, 2012

Sound: That does it! I'm sick and tired of the blasphemy that Green Gay is inciting through this worthless album and the mainstream/pop culture! Both musically and (especially) lyrically. First the music. What the hell is good about this piece of crap? It's just a buch of easy, cliche powerchords and no originality nor innovation. Solos? Sounds ripped off and the average solo. Now normally, I'm a solo enthusiast, but only if it's a signature of its own, unlike the s--t piled up in this waste of CD production. The song "American Idiot" is the f--ing worst. Another thing to make clear, Green Day are not real punk! They are emo! Emo is not real punk! My friend, who has every knowledge of true punk and every artist that does it, even he says American Idiot sucks! He actually likes old Green Day too and says the old stuff sounds more like real punk, but American Idiot sucks because it sounds like mainstream pop-punk/emo and it is! This is the worst thing that has happened to music since Slipknot! And the only reason people like this bulls--t is because everyone else likes it, and you have a horrible, most horrible sense of music. Others are fans because they think the band members are 'hot'. Piece of crap. They look really gay. This is why talented artists are stuck underground; people like this crappy s--t like Green Gay today so they are mainstream. Also, "Jesus Of Suburbia." What's the big freakin deal? It's not satisfying at all! It's 9 mins long, and since that is mainstream people are thinking that is the longest song in history or something! F--ing bulls--t! There are too many songs longer than that! Take Dream Theater and its 10-min songs and the 42-minute "6doit", and Symphony X and its 20-min plus songs. Now these are true talent. Not this Green Gay crap. They are a Boulevard Of A Broken Dream of their own: to the dream of punk, shattered by emos like Green Gay. The only reason they get a bunch of Grammies is because they are too mainstream and people think they are the best band around, while talented artists are trapped in the underground. // 2

Lyrics: For those who remember me for my political beliefs in UG, you'll have an firsthand idea of what I'll say about the lyrics. "One nation controlled by the media"? Those goddamn anti-Bush retards are the new media! Because they are pop/mainstream, people are thinking you should hate Bush because their favortie arists tell you to do so. And I hate their pessimism of our country. They probably hate Bush just because he is republican, and will whine, bash and moan to get a democrat in the White House. But suppose a democrat is elected in the future, and he is so f--king liberal and commits extremely controversial acts worse that what the mainstream says Bush is doing. Bands like Green Gay would not bash the democrat and instead bash Republicans for protesting against that guy the way Green Gay and other emo fags are still doing today. There is more to our president than any of you pop stereotypes will understand. Aside from "Idiot", the remaining lyrics are just as bad because they are immature, and pop-influenced because that's what the public wants. And they say this is a concept album. Well, it sure does not flow together well at all. Like talented music, the other side of the political issue is crushed in the underground and has a right to at least make itself heard. // 2

Overall Impression: A total waste of CD production, instrument work, and all those minutes of a listening person's life. I'm ashamed of you people who can even think about calling this s--t "music". Seriously, how pop-poisoned can you get? The only thing that is agreeable about this crap is the title. Behold: Green Gay. The three american idiots. // 2

American Idiot Reviewed by: Zoso68, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Phenomenal sound. Sounds nothing like the old Dookie-esque punk that was goin on in their old albums. They are definitly using a different distortion and a I like it a lot. And for once they use something other than power chords and electric guitars. The acoustic sounds amazing in Spetember. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very good. Personally I get sick of him singing about getting stoned and jacking off in their old stuff. The lyrics actually tell a story too, and they're put in order by dates. For all those confused: 01. American Idiot - doesn't have a part in the story, but somewhat sets the mood. 02. Jesus Of Suburbia - introduces us to the main character, Jesus. This has no religious meaning. He is bored with his Suburbian lifestyle, getting stoned and his mom and stepfather brad. Finally he decides to run away. 03. Holiday - Jesus has just arrived in the city where he intends to live. Everything's great, he is gonna live by his own rules now the Zieg Heil part is just a bush bashing thing. 04. Blvd Of Broken Dreams - whoa wait a minute. Jesus gets out there on the streets and realizes it aint so great, he's all alone. 05. Are We The Waiting - nothings happening. Jesus thought this would be the s--t but is left all alone, he questions everything. 06. St. Jimmy - out on the streets Jesus meets Jimmy, a ringleader of a group of people who live an the streets that form somewaht of a gang. Jimmy takes Jesus in under his wing and shows him how to live in the streets. 07. Give Me Novicane - Jesus getting away from it all with drugs. 08. She's A Rebel - Jesus falls for a girl called "Whatsername" who "holds his heart like a hand grenade." 09. Extraoradinary Girl - more about Whatsername. 10. Letterbomb - Jesus starts to question everything again. 11. Homecoming - the s--t hits the fan. Jimmy commits suicide in a final fanatical act. Hand grenade thrown. Whatsername leaves Jesus. He realizes he should have stayed at home. He decides to go back. 12. whatsername - Jesus looks back on the whole experience and remembers the girl, he can see her face but can't remember her name and ends with "forgetting you but not the time." // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion it's so much better than their other albums and a lot of other bands. They have changed their sound to a more rock less punk sound and it is amazing. The best song is probably Holiday or Blvd Of Broken Dreams but it is much too overused. Holiday is a well writin peice and has good lyrics too, me and my band play it and go directly into Blvd and it sounds great, just a generally well done song. Definitly worth buying, and if it were stolen I would unleash the fury of hell onto the poor soul for taking it. // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: The album, using Billy Joe's now signature Les Pauls, American Idiot clearly is a more Politically oriented album. The instrumentals keep in a perfect theme with the music. American Idiot has a more of a "slap" kinda sound while Boulevard of Broken Dreams has a sad, isolated, and emotional sound. Green Day has proven that they can write music and give it an appropriate sound. I think the new voice that Green Day has found is the perfect voice for them. Especially after the disappointing Shenanigans, this was the biggest shock in punk rock history. But Billy Joe, Mike, Tre, and the new secondary guitarist Jason White, have pushed themselves beyond all expectations and to the best of their ability with American Idiot. Released in 2004 close to the US election, American Idiot was meant to tell the people not to listen to the biased reports of FOX and CNN, and go out there and vote on their true feelings. Clearly, Billy Joe shows no sympathy for Bush or the War on Iraq, and that he took a risk with this album to destroy all of their success to spread his opinion when everyone is too afraid or too stupid to stand up against to the current President, or shall I say dictator. The title track American Idiot was a shock on its own, but with other hits on this album, the rebellious Holiday, the emotional Boulevard of Broken Dreams, and the just as emotional song Wake Me Up When September Ends which addresses the passing of Billy Joe's father, but also reminds us of 9/11 and cries for when we will see the end of a pointless war. Featuring other great hits like the punkish Whatsername, St. Jimmy, the beautiful Are We the Waiting? The album features two 10 minute songs, Jesus of Suburbia and Homecoming. Both these songs are more like compilations of 1 or 2 minute songs which carry into one another very nicely and have a continuing theme which is nice. While the whole album is a rock opera, these two compilations act like mini rock operas. Just the fact of Green Day trying something this daring deserves all the respect on its own, but the fact that it has made Punk Rock History as one of THE most ambitious rock albums and it has become such a huge success is just astonishing. // 10

Lyrics: The interesting point of this album is that it isn't a normal rock album, it's a punk rock opera. The first compilation introduces us to Jesus of Suburbia, a teenager who feels his life his fake. He's tired of the 7-11 where he grew up, he is sick of all the American Idiots and fake people around and while everyone is idolizing him, they don't seem to listen to him when he tries to help the "lost children with dirty faces," but eventually, everyone around him just picks up and leaves. In Holiday, he says that now that he doesn't have to deal with anyone else, he can make his life his own, he can differ from all the lies around him, because this is his "holiday." However in Blvd. Of Broken Dreams, he starts to lose the rebellious positive attutude he just had, and now he is feeling so isolated and alone. He misses everyone, and he feels that he's in Hell now, wishing "someone up there will find me." Shortly we are introduced to St. Jimmy, a rebel against society. St. Jimmy gets Jesus of Suburbia addicted to drugs, and slowly deteriorated his mind. But at the last moment, he is picked up and brought back to health by Whatsername, a beautiful rebel on her own, however, she's pretty much the opposite of St. Jimmy, and his rival. The two share a strong bond and develop a mutual friendship. In Homecoming, we find out that St. Jimmy has committed suicide. Jesus is sent over the edge he goes back to Jimmy's part of town and with the help of Whatsername, he realizes that the perfect world he thrives for doesn't exist and he will have to learn with it. But after a long depression of St. Jimmy's death, Jesus of Suburbia says that his life isn't so bad. He has a "rock and roll life," and he can make it, and so he is back to his old self once again, but much happier. However with the closing track, he looks back and remembers Whatsername, wonders how she is, and then realizes that he loved her. While not a happy ending, I think that the whole album's story is just brilliant. But there are afew interesting twists here. St. Jimmy commits suicide, however, if you pay close attention to the lyrics, you think differently St. Jimmy is really just a mind-set of Jesus Of Suburbia. A kind of alternate personality that takes over his mind. The fact that Green Day were able to write a rock opera with a cool story like this, with some interesting metaphors, while still having a cool punkish appeal, it is hard to deny that Green Day has really pushed it. Billy Joe has always has a very identifiable voice, but with American Idiot, you notice a slight change. His voice is more emotional and deeper instead of just the punkish "don't care" attitude that they were known for. The band's overall persona how proves that you can care about the world and still have fun, and will hopefully will inspire more youths to start caring about society and start taking some responsibility instead of being stuck up "politics is for old-men" attitude which is destroying our society structure. // 10

Overall Impression: If I could listen to one album for the rest of my life, it would be American Idiot. I have always loved Green Day since 1996, but now, they are Gods to me. With a kickass rock opera which is more than rare nowadays, but to have one smash hit after another on this album is just great. The songs are just so addictive with each listen and the instrumentals are straight to the point. Billy Joe thinks "simple" is an insult, and he's right. While some songs only have afew chords in total, they are written with really nice progressions and really flow. I love this album, and even if you don't like Green Day, listen to this afew times, and tell me differently! // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: the james, on november 12, 2012

Sound: A band that were going nowhere at the time have just released what will be known as the best album of recent times for years. Billie Joe, Mike Dirnt and Tre Cool appeared out of nowhere and produced this beast and shock the world. The sound on this record is fantastic, from the thudding drumming from American idiot to the great tremolo arm effect used to devastating effect on boulevard of broken dreams. This album has it all. // 10

Lyrics: I can't be arsed to write out a load of compliments for the lyrics. Lets just say that their too good to be written so heres the ratings of all of the songs: 01. American Idiot - what a way to start the album. Great guitar chords and sublime drumming 10/10. 02. Jesus Of Suburbia - this was the song that showed how much balls Green Day had. Can you imagine that a punk band would do this? You can now 10/10. 03. Holiday - heavy distortion and another great tre drum beat open up this song. The only bad bit is that this song is done so well live that this seems rubbish 9/10 (but only because of the live thing). 04. Boulevard Of Broken Dreams - this was not the first time Green Day had made two songs into one. This was used most noticeably in Chump/Longview and again this is fantastic 10/10. 05. Are We The Waiting - many people regard this as the worst song in American Idiot and to some extent it is but thats like saying whats your least faverite part of "bo rap" 8/10. 06. St. Jimmy - there's another great guitar bit in tis punkish number and moves faster then a fast things fast bits. Be warned this shreds pics very fast 10/10. 07. Give Me Novacaine - this starts off slowly but gets better as it goes along 8/10. 08. Shes A Rebel - another 2 part song (this album has loads) A simple chord sequence makes this a very catchy song 8/10. 09. Extraodinary Girl - strange start but good background guitar keeps this song afloat 8/10. 10. Letterbomb - I found this a arse to learn as it has a load of chords and I'm lazy but I still love it 9/10. 11. Wake Me Up When September Ends - this song, written about the death of BJ's father, contains a very un early green day opening. The tender picking off the strings reminds you of Good riddence but the rest is back to normal 10/10. 12. Homecoming - another 9 minute beast. This is similar to Jesus Of Suburbia in a way but completly different in another. Oh, in case your wondering its really good 10/10. 13. Whatsername - the start is, quite frankly, shit. The first two minutes are really bad but after, This song becomes amazing 9/10. // 10

Overall Impression: I won't bother comparing this to other artists, mainly because I'm lazy but also because there are no albums to compare to. This is argubly the most ambitious album for years and has become more amazing then anyone would of guessed. If I haven't convinced you that this is amazing remember that this album is anti-Bush. // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: I first saw Green Day live in 1989, when they were still prohibiting their music from being played on regular radio. I was a student at Gonzaga University (3800 students) in Spokane, WA. They played on the lawn of our campus, next to the Spokane river. My ticket cost $3, and we smoked out with the band in my dorm room after. My respect for their artistic bent and no-need of celebrity overwhelmed me at the time. Over the years, I became somewhat disenchanted with Green Day's popiness but after seeing them live on Late Night with Carson Daily the other night, I realized that these are the very same boys who played on the lawn in 1989 and they have not lost it. I bought American Idiot the next day, and will buy a ticket to the next show they play in Seattle or Spokane. // 10

Lyrics: Just like Bono, Billie Joe was a very good poet when he began, but a terrible to average singer. Plus you gotta survive his "nasal thing." And, like Bono, BJ became an excellent singer after 15 years. However, unlike Bono, Billie Joe retained his poetry. Not even Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, or my revered Nirvana could get me to listen to a 9 minute song and not bore me. Bravo Green Day. // 10

Overall Impression: I would have to say this album is their very best. "Basket Case" would vie for 1st, except I realize that is only the case because at the time I first heard it, my life was very paralell to the story it told. "American Idiot" and especially "Jesus Of Suburbia" are excellent songs by any standard. I firmly believe that Frank Sinatra is sitting up in his grave, cupping his hand to his ear, every time either one of these songs are played. Not to demean other reviewers but who the hell is the dipshit who said in his review "the only reason I never listened to Green Day before is because I had never heard of them..."? // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: My friend bought this CD the day it came out and he played it for me. The sound is pretty good. Good beats and nice bass lines, and Tre just banging the hell out of the drums. But, it's all the same 3 or 4 power chord playing that's in the songs every radio plays today. One more step and I think Green Day will be Simple Plan. And the solos, when there are any, well suck. I think Billie Joe should keep off the soloing and just keep the hardcore guitar strumming for now. I do have to give them credit for keeping songs with such a simple sounds on the radio (American Idiot, Blvd. Of Broken Dreams, Holiday), but after the trillionth time you've heard them, they're not that catchy, just annoying. Billie or Mike or Tre, do us all a favor. Tell the radios or Much Music or whatever to only play your songs for a month at the most. I'm sure by the first week it'll be number one. // 2

Lyrics: I'm so tired of people whining about Bush and elections being rigged or unfair political dicisions. You idiots! Quit your whining! No matter what you say or do it won't help you! Get it through your head! You can't do anything about it! It's up to braindead poloticians! And Green Day was just the icing on top of the crap cake. Honestly, stick with good ol' lyrics about hanging out and rackin' with your friends or waking up after a party that lasted 'til 11:00am. Two days later. Quit the Bush crying and take this point of advice. Don't read anything about politics for a whole year! It'll give you something else to write about! So sit in your 10-car garage in your mansion you got from selling out to everything people want and right some good Dookie or Nimrod tunes again. Something along those lines. // 2

Overall Impression: I don't know. Personally, I think Green Day now are just Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, and Blink 182 mixed together. It sickens me. They used to be awesome! Now, they've died to me. Sorry guys. You sold out. Horribly. You forgot what the rock was about and just did what everyone else was doing. You're just 3 walking trends with guitars. Go back to the streets and play some Beatles or something for money 'cause that's the only way you're gonna get a dime from me. And I literally mean, I'll only give you a dime. And a nickel if you're lucky. // 2

American Idiot Reviewed by: JVDumarC, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Since their beginings they have had a great sound, Billie Joe's guitar style it's simple but with an awesome flow, he just demonstrate this at "Jesus Of Suburbia" and "Homecoming," this songs has 5 different flow changes, or 5 themes compiled on one. I like this album but it's not the best of Green Day, Dookie Days where de best. Another innovation is the percussioned intro on "Extraordinary Girl," it really shows they'd worked hard on the recording. // 8

Lyrics: Well most of the lyrics are really on the political way, personally I really like them because he really says the real truth about the american government on a satirical and sometimes funny way, the other lyrics talk about feelings for a girl, all of them fit excelent with the music, Billie Joe's voice it's really great. // 9

Overall Impression: Well this album has some new cool stuff but I rather prefer the good ol' Green Day sometimes "Dookie" times get back when I listen to some of the songs, some of the songs I like are "Jesus Of Suburbia," "Holiday" a really sticky song, "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams," "St. Jimmy," "She's A Rebel" and the five-chaptered song "Homecoming." Well something I hate it's that some of the songs are like the same compared to another so I get kinda bored, but the majority of the tracks are cool this is not the best of Green Day but neither the worst. And if it gets stolen or I lose it I think I'll look for it the first days but later if I didn't find it yet I'll stop, it's not an album that I will kill for it. // 8

American Idiot Reviewed by: rpguitardude, on november 12, 2012

Sound: The guitar is amazing! Billie Joe is a great guitarist! He is no Jimi Hendrix but he makes simple but great solos. His real talent is not shredding or soloing but making catchy yet punk guitar chord progressions. His voice has changed but it still is great. Mike is proving to be 1 of the best bassists of all time. Tight bass! His backup vocals are great too. Tre's drumming is unbelievable! His drumming has improved over the years. // 10

Lyrics: When I 1st heard American Idiot on the radio, I was blown away by the lyrics. Why? beacause Green Day risked their reputation by creating a political song and showing their true feelings toward the government. when I first listened to the CD it really amazed me. American Idiot has a story of its own. American Idiot is like an introduction, it's like a political statement, Jesus of Suburbia shows his life, how he grew up. Holiday and BOBD is 2 songs connected but also has a story. Holiday is telling it to the world your poltical views while in BOBD he loses interest in life and decides to give up on himself. All the songs on the album are great. Lyrically the best is Boulevard Of Broken Dreams, Letterbomb and Wake Me Up When September Ends. // 10

Overall Impression: No other album like it! 1 of the greatest albums of all time! Best songs are Boulevard Of Broken Dreams, Letterbomb and Wake Me Up When September Ends. I love everything about it and hate nothing about it! If it were stolen I would beat the crap out of the foolish person who made that mistake then I shall buy 2 American Idiot CDs! It's that great! // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: randybugger, on november 12, 2012

Sound: This is obvoisly influenced by the Iraq war, and personally, I get annoying with NOFX and there political veiws, but Green Day do it in a much more fun and happy way, which I like, also not all the songs on here are. Also it is very easy to get into, I've had it for a day, and its easy to get into and prog-punk, even tho, don't try and compare it to Dookie. The songs on here will never be as big as stuff like Basket Case, when I come arund and other green day classics they also use more effects such as overdubbed guitars which they've raely done before. They also have an acoustic song, Wake Me Up When September Ends, dosen't compare to Time Of Your Life but it's good, in a nutshell this album is new and different! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are typical Green Day, but with more thought than there other albums, now they have something to realli talk about. Although I think the lyrics are more backed-up by the music, which is very layered. I'd like to give the lyrics another look but they are good in copmparison to there erly stuff when they don't really have anyhting to say. // 8

Overall Impression: I can't say anything else expect buy it. This album is gunna get Green Day back on top where they deserve to be after 4 years of no recording, the best songs on the album are the 2 prog-punk operas. You will never find a 9 minuite punk song ever, unless people copy em, which is likly as this is new and fun. I also like "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" which has some great lyrics and music. If I lost it I woud defenetly buy it again, although if some1 nicked all my Green Day albums, I'd buy albums like Dookie and International Superhits first. // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: First off, let me say that this is an amazing cd. It is definitely a deviation from their "typical" style, but I think it's still a great album. Their sound is more mature (although I'm not sure the band themselves could ever actually be mature), it seems. The album follows Jesus Of Suburbia, St. Jimmy, and often mentions another character, whatsername. Surprisingly, this album hasn't been in the works forever. I heard that they had about 40 songs all recorded for their new album, and then the tapes were stolen from the studio. So they decided to start again and do something entirely new. // 10

Lyrics: Great lyrics. Although the album name implies heavy political commentary, only 2 songs seem to touch on politics ("American Idiot" and "Holiday"). The rest of the cd is a very in-depth, first-person social commentary. Billie Joe's vocals talents are impossible to reproduce. He is amazing. And I particulary enjoyed Mike Dirnt's and Tre cool's vocals on this album. It was quite refreshing to hear them take the mic for once. // 10

Overall Impression: I love all the songs on this album, but I would have to say my favorites are "Jesus Of Suburbia", "Give Me Novacaine", and "Homecoming." These songs are fun to listen to, and easily as fun to play. I have learned most of the songs on this album on bass, and it's great to just sit and play along with the whole album. This is not an album that you can skip songs on - every song is so great, you just have to put it in your cd player and let it go. I don't think there is anything to hate about the album, although I hope that Green Day doesn't forget about their old style. But I don't think that's going to happen. The only disappointing thing is what bands they're touring with Sugarcult and New Found Glory. I don't like either of those bands, but I am willing to pay almost anything to see Green Day. Man, if someone stole this album, I would have to seriously injure them (and I'm a pacifist, so that's saying a lot). I would definitely go out and buy it again. I would buy 2 or 3 copies if I could. // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: silverymetaller, on november 12, 2012

Sound: The sound of the whole album is great. It is very different from their old stuff. The songs are more "pop-punk" when compared with their old albums, but it still sounds awesome. Simple chords but catchy melody -- the formula of success of Greenday, and this formula still works. Even though it isnt power chords or something, their songs can still get your attention which other pop-punk bands can't do. // 10

Lyrics: Billie Joe Armstrong is a good writer. He can express his viewpoint through his lyrics very well. Most of the lyrics in American Idiot are great. Not only kids, but others can relate to it very much cuz they have pointed out different situations you may go through in life. One of my favourite lyrics in American Idiot: it says "Home is where your heart is"/ but what a shame/ cuz everyone's heart doesn't beat the same". Once again, it shows how amazing Billie Joe's lyrics are. // 8

Overall Impression: Obviously they have taken a very high risk to release a concept album after a 4 years break. Before I bought this album, I thought it would sound weird. But then I know I was absolutely wrong and now it has become one of the best albums I've bought this year. Even though you just listen to the songs separately, it still rocks. But of course, if you listen to the whole album without skipping any songs, the sound will be much more better. If it was stolen, I will definitely buy it again. It is worth paying only $12 to own their four-years-effort. // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: TheJack, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Well one day I was listening to the radio just before I went to bed. When I heard "Here's the new Green Day song" I jumped (I was a big fan of Green Day back in the day). It was the song American Idiot. Since I was really tired, I didn't pay any attention to the lyrics, but I thought the melody was pretty cool. So since I liked Green Day so much, I went out and bought the album. Once I got wind of the lyrics, the drop D tunings, and heard the rest of the album, I almost puked. How could such a great punk band all of a sudden turn into an MTV sellout? Well this section's about sound, so I'll discuss that. The overall sound of the album isn't that bad. Billie Joe's voice is good as usual. The drumming of Tre and bass of Dirnt is pretty average. However, I wouldn't call this album punk at all. All of the songs are either emo, pop, or other weird stuff that totally doesn't fit. // 6

Lyrics: American Idiot is just another one of these anti-Bush songs that are so popular these days. I mean, I know he looks like a monkey and maybe screwed a couple things up, but I would have taken him over Gore or Kerry. If the pop culture thinks he's a dipshit, then the whole world does too. Even rappers are doing it these days. It just gets old. Boulevard of Broken Dreams is one of the worst songs I've ever heard; Are We the Waiting, Give Me Novacaine, Extraordinary Girl, and Whatsername are some of the weirdest; and the ten minute songs get extremely boring. Just split it up into 5 songs and it would be much easier to get through. There were many pathetic attempts at emo on the album (Boulevard) which completely throws you off. If you were a Green Day fan like me, you just couldn't see them becoming emo. It's really quite sad that they were such a great punk band (One of the only good ones these days) and now they're just trying to make as much money as possible like every other greedy, stupid, emotionless, bad band these days. I'm not just saying this because I'm some "Punk sucks, go learn to play your instrument" or "Anything that's not completely underground sucks" people; I actually really liked, respected, and got a lot of punk influence from Green Day. // 2

Overall Impression: This was a complete letdown in my mind. Dookie and Insomniac were two of the best punk albums ever. Now they go and make this corporate anti-Bush crap. I don't really like any songs on the album, but if I just forget the lyrics and concept, American Idiot is really the only musically well written song there is on the CD. To the person that said Green Day single-handedly saved punk rock with this album, you're crazy. This album put yet another dagger into the heart of punk rock. I think punk music is officialy dead now. Everything good has come from at least 10 years ago (Alright, 5 if you count Bad Religion). If this album were stolen, I'd be happy that I wouldn't have to remind myself that I actually bought it. Instead, I might go out and buy 1039 or Kerplunk because I've wanted those for a while. Even if it weren't stolen, I'd give it to some girl who thinks Billie Joe Armstrong is sexy. // 4

American Idiot Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: American Idiot doesn't sound like Green Day. When I found out that the mass-produced Boulevard Of Broken Dreams were the same people as my all-time-favorite band: the creators of Basketcase, Church On Sunday, and Warning (I could go on but it would take like a century and a half) I didn't believe it. It just doesn't sound like them at all. However, much they have matured, however many kids they've had, however political the lyrics are: American Idiot is an awesome album. I don't care if Billie Joe Armstrong doesn't sound as nasal as he did in Longview as he does in Whatshername. Whatshername still rocks! What I also like about this album is that the three members of Green Day all put something into it. How many of you knew that Nobody Likes You was Mike Dirnt's? Rock n' roll girlfriend, while being really kind of random, is all about Tre Cool and his life. All the members of the band all have distinctive personalities, and you get to hear a little bit of everyone throughout the course of the record. I personally like the sound, even if it doesn't have that relatable feel like we saw in Dookie or even Insomniac. // 10

Lyrics: Ok. To clear up all the confusion I'm gonna break down the lyrics, track-by-track, so everyone's no longer confused about why the heck Are We the Waiting is in there: 01. American Idiot - angstey anthem of a guy called the Jesus Of Suburbia. He doesn't want to be an "American Idiot" because it's not what he's here for. 02. Jesus Of Suburbia - this is the backup story for the character Jesus Of Suburbia. He's in some teenager-ish age state, he lives with his mom and his stepfather brad, and he's a druggie with nothing to do. He'd bored out of his mind and sick of his suburban life so he runs away to the city. 03. Holiday - ok so the Jesus Of Suburbia is out on the streets with no real place to go (hence the "hear the sound of the falling rain" he's going back to his American Idiot idea and is thinking about his extreme anti-bush-ness. Or it could just be that Billie Joe wanted to put in his own opinions. OK, so Holiday is a great song, but it doesn't really fit into the story well. 04. Boulevard Of Broken Dreams - easy enough. Jesus Of Suburbia is all alone, sad and lonely on the streets. Night is beginning to fall, and when he sees the city lit up in lights. 05. Are We The Waiting - a lot of people might disagree with me from this track on, but Are We the waiting is just Jesus Of Suburbia's observations on his life. He can tell he's waiting for something, anything to happen to him but it's just not coming (also can be takes as JOS beginning to lose his mind). 06. St. Jimmy - how ironic, because St. Jimmy, the biggest-baddest-little you-know-what around comes up and meets JOS. Bing, Jesus isn't waiting anymore. No. He's a member of the Underbelly, St Jimmy's underground group of punk rockers. Fun. (Can also be taken as JoS's skitzo transformation into St Jimmy in order to keep alive on the streets, going along with the losing-his-mind routine). 07. Give Me Novocain - JOS's experimentation with drugs. Have fun with this one, kiddo. 08. She's A Rebel - JOS is in love. With the rebel queen Whatshername. He's really head over heals She's "holdin on his heart like a hand grenade" I wonder what will happen when she thrown that little grenade. 09. Extraordinary Girl - JOS still mooning over Whatshername. About how Lonely Whatshername really is, but now she has JOS, right? 10. Letterbomb - oh dear, Whatshername left JOS. Grenade thrown. She leaves him all alone with the taunting and creepy lines of "nobody likes you everyone left you they're all out without you having fun" talk about OUCH. 11. Wake Me Up When September Ends - really awesome track on the album. JOS is lonely once again, he's beginning to question why he's here (think of the Underbelly as the place described in Dookie's "Welcome To Paradise") there is also a sideline song about how Billie Joe's father died when he was 10 "like my father's come to pass, 20 years has gone so fast." 12.Homecoming - first off, St. Jimmy kills himself by shooting himself in the head (also know as: Jesus abandons his alternate persona of St. Jimmy) then Jesus waits around the Underbelly, even though St. Jimmy is gone, still waiting for Whatshername to come back "after 10 cups of coffee and your still not here) then, ever more random, is Tre Cool's song "rock'n'roll girlfriend" this isn't really as random as it seems. In the American Idiot Booklet, these lyrics come as a letter from the enigmatic "Tunny" who we find out through interviews with Green Day is a friend of Jesus'. Jesus was worried about his so Tunny sends back a smart reply "get off of my case!" And lastly, Jesus returns home, back to his boring suburban lifestyle, back to live with his mom and stepfather. (Talk about a happy ending). 13. Whatshername - but wait! There's more! The last track on the album, the sad but sweet track Whatshername, which is about how Jesus still remembers Whatshername, but can't recall her name, only her face. "I remember the face but I can't recall the name now I wonder how Whatshername has been." So there you are. Aren't you glad you have me here? And while some of the lyrics are a little wonky, they tell the story and that's what's important. I personally liked most of the lyrics, it felt like St. Jimmy was really telling you he was the Son Of A Gun and Edgar Allen Poe. It just felt real. As for singer skills, Billie Joe really surprised me. I know him from the stuffy-nosed paranoid 22-yr-old in Basketcase to the still stuffy-nosed loving husband in Church on Sunday. But in American Idiot, it looks like after 10 years, he finally found his way to a tissue box! His now clarified singing has definately gotten much better over time, and before this album, I just thought he was just a hobbit with a really awesome band. Now he's still a hobbit, with his 5-5 frame, but now he's a hobbit who can sing. I'm impressed. I thought the only hobbit who could sing was Merry Took like in the 3rd Lord of the Rings (Am I off topic here?) // 10

Overall Impression: It doesn't compare to the other albums they've made, because it's in an entirely different genre. But as to others of its kind, it's the best. Abso-friggin-lutely it's the best. From the signature power chords that begin American Idiot to the crash of the last cymbal on Whatshername, this album is just energetic and entertaining and it has you shamefully head banging and doing the Propaganda in your room. I don't hate much about this album, except that there are some parts where you can't understand a word he' saying like "my name is Jimmy and you bludda naw werggadow subbersidle coblader that your momma talked about." It's actually and you better not wear it out suicide commando but how the heck was I supposed to know that? Most impressive songs are Holiday, Wake Me Up When September Ends, Letterbomb, St. Jimmy, She's a Rebel. If it were stolen, I'd find out who did it and beat them with any given large blunt object. Then I'd take it back from their unconscious body and write in sharpie on their forehead "Wake Me Up When September Ends." // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Sure, a different direction than their previous punk music. They were trying something different, unfortunatley, a political step. Which isn't too bad, but I would rather hear some of their music about their feelings not just hearning "Anti-war, Bush bashing, being controlled by the media" songs. The songs are pretty ingenius. Some catchy riffs. Every song on this album is enjoyable, even if you do like Bush. One thing I really don't pay attention to or give a crap about is the story to this album. The Jesus Of Suburbia, The American Idiot, St. Jimmy and Whatsername characters. // 10

Lyrics: Yes, political. According to Green Day were all being controlled by the media, Bush sucks and the War in Iraq should have never happened. But away from the politics, it does have an emotinal side. The main song that stands out there is "Wake Me Up When September Ends." Despite what you hear, this song has nothing to do with the Jesus Of Suburbia or any other characters. This is a song that stept away from the album and just helped out Billie Joe express his feeling and love for his father who passed away, thus the point of the song (his dad passing away). This album does have some intreging lyrics despite the political ones. Boueluvard Of Broken Dreams is a great song, though overplayed on the radio. A great song explaining how Billie Joe walks alone. The character idea was original. Great lyrics and singing. // 10

Overall Impression: This isn't your average punk album. Green Day was trying something new. Such as others are, too (Metallica, AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, ect). And it was a total gamble but it really ended up in success. This is a flawless album. Unless you take your politics seriously at this age, get this album. What I don't like (I really shouldn't say "don't like") but what I could care less about is the characters and story to the album. I couldn't give a crap, but It doesnt bother me, I still love the music. Good job Green Day. // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Ok I'm fed up of hearing both sides of the smae stupid argument, it's not real punk and it's definatly not rock but its not mainstream trash. Yes it is just a stream of octaves, power chords an simple solos but they work amazingly on this and dont sound too repetitive. Bit disapointed at the lack of any decent bass on this though, longview is way in the past it seems. Now Billie Joe has perfected a trick on this album: he has made his voice sound all squeky pop clean so everyone likes it but without using any synthatsisers ect its actually his voice. I've heard them live an he sounds exactly the same so thats ur manufactured pitch way off. // 10

Lyrics: Well lets be honest, ther pritty crap at points. The first time you hear abpout Jesus Of Suburbia, St Jimmy ect its amusing but it does get tedious. The rest of it though just sounds like the same old Green Day, when hes shouting 'I don't care' in J-O-SB it sounds like the old 'Rebellion' screams of Dookie. As I mentioned above Bille Joe really got his voice sorted for this album and it fits the simple riffs well. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to most of the Utter Shite NME chart tells us is a 'hot new one' this is godly but if you put it up against real bands like Velvet Revolver, Muse or Metallica its pop edge starts to show. Musically Franz F, Razerlight an the rest of the decenet brit pack members have them beat but for catchyness and live power Green Day win hands down. It dosn't have any of there best songs on it, I'd say American Idiot, the last part of JOS and september ends are its highlights and I pray for the dat BOBD is taken off the radio. Overall it is quite possibky there best album with absoloutly no bad tracks and the poppyness does mak it very easy listening. Lets just hope there next album gives a bit more to chew on. // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: It's been ten years since the first Green Day album named Dookie. Green Day have not only matured but their latest album, American Idiot, doesn't sound like anything they have done before and is destined to become one of rock history's major classic rock epics. Idiot takes apparent inspirations from previous concept albums, Pink Floyd's The Wall, The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. I hear that American Idiot is in the talks to be made into a movie, so this whole 'concept album' thing is real. This is the second ever album I have heard of that tells a story and all the tracks are somehow entwined. This Album is a story of a man called St. Jimmy who, as he was growing up, was slowly dying and was failing to live the American Dream. He fell in love on the way, but no love was shown back and so in Homecoming's Death Of St Jimmy he suddenly "blew his brains into the bay." // 10

Lyrics: The album opens with Green Day's signature sound, pure punk, with the title track American Idiot. Even though the sound of this song is very identical to Green Day's past tunes, the lyrics of this song take on new grounds; politically charged anti-patriotic mockery, ridiculing the American way of life and how it is an "alien-nation controlled by the media." This is the first time I hear an American band really say it the way it is. Forget Eminem and his whining, Billy Joe, Tre Cool and Mike Dirnt have expressed it accurately. Political Green Day resumes with Holiday, a song criticizing the war in Iraq. There are many other surprise turns for Green Day: the beautifully constructed lyricism and music in Boulevard Of Broken Dreams, Give Me Novocain, Are We The Waiting, and Extraordinary Girl. All these previous tracks have a new sound, something that I am personally not used to listening to on a Green Day album. However, signature Green Day sound returns on tracks like Letterbomb, and She's A Rebel. Wake Me Up When September Ends is where Green Day drop their amplifiers and fast guitar strums for a very mellow and awesome tune. But where the real concept begins is where you have songs that consist of five parts, like Jesus Of Suburbia. This song is a list of brilliantly written songs; Suburbia, City Of The Damned, I Don't Care, Dearly Beloved, and Tales Of Another Broken Home. The album concludes on a soft note with the song titled "Whatsername" who probably "married old What's His Face." // 10

Overall Impression: American Idiot is without a doubt a surprise album that has come out of Green Day, a band that I have personally always passed on as just a punk band with fast songs that are fun to play. On 1997's Nimrod, they surprised everybody with the classic Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life), which is now looked at as a point of a dramatic change in pace for the band. And by looking at this new album, it certainly was a great turning point for the band. Highly recommended. // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: First of all I'm sticking up for Green Day on this one. I've read alot of these reviews before me and they all say the sound has changed, the sound isnt "Dookie" but that's just it isnt it. If Green Day were to repeat a "Dookie" record people would be complaining that it's 'been done' and to try something new. I would personally like to congradulate Green Day on the finest album to date. The sound is fresh, unique and as 'mainstream' as it can be, it's still the Green Day that I've always been listening to. Nothing has changed! The good ol' Green Day chord progressions are still as good as ever, the vocals are better then ever! Mike's bass work is absolutely outstanding and I've never heard Tre Cool drum as good as he has on this album. All of the boys have taken this album to a new high, and I hope to see more of it! Absolutely outstanding sound! // 10

Lyrics: Once again, the lyrics are the same as they've always been. Nothing has changed in Billie Joe's style of writing. I must admit some of the songs or the words in some of the songs are a little weird - but that's just what I love about Green Day. If you read what is being said you can understand it. If you are looking over it of cause its not going to make any sense. The lyrics are fun and a mixture of bright and dark at the same time. "Here comes the rain again, falling from the stars, drenched in my pain again, becoming who we are" ("Wake Me Up When September Ends"). This is just one of many extracts I could use. "I'm walking down the line, that devides me somewhere in my mind" ("Boulevard Of Broken Dreams"). I mean how cool is that? The vocals suit the music and the music suits the vocals. If you can look past all of the people that say it's 'mainstream' and 'too new' you'll see nothing has changed, it's still the same Green Day, and it's still the same Billie Joe. // 10

Overall Impression: This is by far the best album Green Day have released. Every song on the album are all favourites of mine and I cannot decide on which is my favourite! I'd have to say "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams," "Holiday," "Jesus Of Suburbia," "Letterbomb," "St. Jimmy," "American Idiot" and "Wake Me Up When September Ends" are my favourites. That's pretty amazing when I just mentioned 7 of the 13 songs on the album and there all 'all-time-favourites'! If this album was stolen (and why wouldn't it be? I cant think of anyone that wouldnt love it) I would cry for 1000 hours. Then buy another copy. I worship this album and have played it every day since September 21st. It is really priceless! // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: mrozinski, on november 12, 2012

Sound: This album has a good sound, if all you have heard is the title track, it is a decent representation of the album. The whole CD has a plot, with characters that can somewhat be compared to the Bible. The plot: Jesus Of Suburbia is the main character. St. Jimmy is introduced in track 5. But really, he is Jesus Of Suburbia. The Mary Magdeline in this story is 'Whatsername'. Her introduction is in track 8; and as in the bible, she sort of closes the plot with with her witnessing jesus after the tomb. Over all it is a well written plot and story. There are many highlights in the album, but the real high points of the album are the 'Punk Rock Operettas': Jesus Of Suburbia, which introduces the main character, and homecoming, where St. Jimmy/JOS Commits Suicide. The main style, as you would expect, is power pop/punk with big drums and infectuous melodies. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are well written, and the melodies are in perfect harmony with the, er, harmonies. Billie Joe Armstrong has the same vocal style as past GD albums, and the words go along with the rest of the song. // 10

Overall Impression: I think that this album is equally as good as the past GD albums. There is not, as in most GD Albums, a song that the album would be better w/o. My favorite songs would be all of them, especially JOS and Homecoming. Also to check out is the album closer, Whatsername. the one song I do not like is Extraordinary Girl, which starts out with 34 Mins. Of a african beat, which I think the song would be better w/o it, it sorta disrupts the rythm of the rest of the album. If it was ever stoled, I would find the bastard and kick his ass. I could not lose it, as the CD is almost permanently affixed to my player. No, I'm just kidding, but with all my cds I keep a back up copy in rotation, the cd remains in pristine condition and dosent leave the Jewel Case. // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: FenderStrat1337, on november 12, 2012

Sound: I had been anxiously awaiting this album for months before it came out, and I was definately not disappointed. I love every song on this album, and the style of music varies on every song. Billie Joe Armstrong again only plays simple power chord riffs and 15 seconds solos, but they sound awesome. Mike Dirnt is an excellent bassist, as he has always been. Tre Cool is one of the better punk drummers of all time, which he shows in every song, particularly "American Idiot" and "Jesus Of Suburbia". (The drum fills in "Jesus Of Suburbia" are excellent). The creation of a punk opera is totally unique, and the 2 operas are divided into 5 parts. As I previously stated in this reveiw, the sound is different on every song. // 10

Lyrics: The songs in this album all tie together and form a story. The story follows the life of Jesus of Suburbia, who doesnt want to be an American Idiot, so he runs away from his town. He meets St. Jimmy, who gets him addicted to drugs. He is saved by Whatshername, who he instantly falls in love with. However, there is no happy ending in this story. I loved the lyrics in this album, in every single song. "Holiday" and "American Idiot" are political songs, while songs like "Wake Me Up When September Ends" is a song Billie Joe wrote about his dad, who died when Billie was 10. The 2 punk operas also have excellent lyrics. Although is have always thought Billie Joe was a good musician (good punk guitarist, great songwriter), I always thought he was an average vocalist. However, Billie has a great voice and also has a great singing range. (I think Billie has gotten better and better at singing with each album). Mike Dirnt's backup vocals are also great, as always. In this album, Tre Cool also sings, and he has a sweet voice. // 10

Overall Impression: I cant decide if this is my favorite Green Day album, since I like all of their CD's. This is definately one of the best though. The best songs on the album are "American Idiot", "Jesus Of Suburbia", "Holiday", "Boulivard Of Broken Dreams", "St. Jimmy", "Give Me Novacaine", and "Wake Me Up When September Ends." All the other songs are good to, although I didnt like "We Are The Waiting" at first. (I have gotten to like it though). I bet all of the songs on this album could be popular singles, and I hope they do. I copied this on my computer and my dad's computer, so if I lost it or it was stolen, I would just make another copy of it. If for some reason I couldnt, I would definately buy another copy. I made copies of this cd for around 8 other people for free, who also enjoyed the cd. // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: I've never been a real fan of punk rock, but American Idiot is really the only CD I've ever listened to for more than twenty or so hours, and I think this is because the sound is a really powerful one, and you can tell BJ and the others are trying to make a really strong point without even hearing the lyrics. There're a ton of different sounds on the disc - drums, bass, and guitar are all outstanding, but they're also some pipes and piano on the disc, among others. But the really outstanding thing is that in songs like "Extraordinary Girl" the stronger effects are done with the mouth, i. e. the rolling of the tongue. // 10

Lyrics: The better name for this album would've no doubt been "Jesus Of Suburbia," but I think that'd have gotten the Christian activists worked up. The reason I say this is because all the songs come together, forming a strong story revolving around this "Jesus Of Suburbia." "Jesus" is a suburban kid who feels he's not being treated the way he should be, and who's pretty pissed at America in general - the first track is all about him not wanting to be an idiot like the rest of America; it's a rant about what America has become and all the terrible things it stands for. "Jesus Of Suburbia" is about "Jesus" and how he leaves town, not wanting to me an "American Idiot." Soon comes "Holiday," a number about the political trash the world depends on - by now we get the picture that "Jesus" is pretty PO'ed. What really pushes it is the, imo, heart of the album, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams. It has the swearing, the bass solos, and all the things that make punk rock great, but it also has a more deep meaning. It's about the desperation he has and the lonliness he feels on his journey to find himself and his little utopia. Back to the story, though - "St. Jimmy" is this old crackpot who acts all great to "Jesus," but ends up getting him high and addicted to drugs. "Whatsername" saves him though, and though he's pissed, when the "Death Of St. Jimmy" (part 1 of "Homecoming") comes, he realizes St. Jimmy really did help him in a different way, in helping him realize that the idealistic utopia he's been searching for doesn't exist, and he must accept that. I never thought anyone could add so much meaning to punk rock, but BJ's vocals do it. // 10

Overall Impression: One word? Amazing. Some of the numbers are kind of lame though. "Extraordinary Girl" is a terrific melody, but the beginning with the Eastern drums? No. It takes up a good minute and lowers the effect of the song. Then there's "Letterbomb," another great melody about our main character's realization. But the little solo at the beginning with the "Nobody Likes You" thing going on? No! This could've bee a perfect album, but these small things kept it back. It's a terrific album overall, though, with my favorite tracks being "American Idiot," "Jesus Of Suburbia," "Holiday," "Blvd. Of Broken Dreams," "St. Jimmy," "She's A Rebel," "Letterbomb," and "Homecoming," but they're all worth listening to. // 8

American Idiot Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: I've loved Green Day for a really long time and though I can honestly say I'm not much of a punk fan I do find Green Day to be one of my favorite bands. I bought American Idiot the first day it came out and I wasn't disappointed in the least. There is an obvious maturity in the lyrics and the overall music. I was impressed, being the fan that I am I was happy to see Green Day grow up but not grow out of their originality. There is as I said a maturity but any fan knows that this is definitly Green Day. It's hard for me to put this album down, I keep listening to it and finding myself singing along, it's catchy without being annoying. Its fun but it's serious. Every time I listen to the album I find something new that I didn't hear before. It's a punk opera with a story strung through the music and it may be a concept album but it has a quality about it that lets you listen to the songs individually and enjoying them just as much as you would if you listened to the album straight through. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are more daring. There is a running theme and they get political and say things that haven't been said or haven't quite caught on. If you really listen, there is no denying the confusion felt by the musicians and the connection they have with the rest of the country, there is honesty and realisim. The song Holiday has got to be the most pointed song against the current administration and never the less the lyrics are catchy. Billie Joe Armstrong has always been able to capture a mood the right way with his lyrics but now that he has a bigger topic/issue to dicuss through music things have only gotten better. As for his vocals they have gotten better as well, when he's mad it shows, when he's upset, it shows, he goes from soft to harsh and the range is perfect for the album and the meaning behind the music. // 10

Overall Impression: I think American Idiot is a breath of fresh air. Overall musically, and lyrically it's the best album to date, not to take away from prior work but it is by far the most "punk" album they've done. They went up against the government and they question authority. To me the most impresive songs are probably Holiday and Homecoming. They are amazing and I can't stop listeing to them. If someone stole my copy of American Idiot I'd be pissed but I wouldn't think twice about buying it again. // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: americanmovie23, on november 12, 2012

Sound: The sound of this album is just like every other Green Day album as far as the basic vocals, guitars, bass, and drums go. However, there is some improvement with the workings of bass and drums. They recorded 2 bass guitars on this album and I think that is adds a lot of depth to the overall sound. And the drums are really that complicated, but Tre actually discovered that he could use more than just 2 cymbals per song. Good for him. // 8

Lyrics: Finally BJ grew up. I was starting to get tired of songs about being a teenager with nothing to do but beat off. The lyrics are actually well thought out and the story line to the album is pulled off actually quite well. However I dont really think that they had to go and turn the album into an anti-Bush romp for the media. Most of the better songs are found after the first 4 songs on the album. I don't really get the whole concept of promoting it as an anti-Bush record when in reality it isnt. // 8

Overall Impression: American Idiot is no Dookie. Dookie was fresh for its time. Green Day was actually semi-punk back then. However, I don't really think that being 33, having children, dying your hair black, and being an MTV media darling qualifies you as punk in my book. I dont really agree the more political songs on the record such as American Idiot or Holiday, however I do believe that the Dixie Chicks needed to be removed as the king of all anti-Bush bands. And if I could pick any band to be the poster child of Semi-Media Bombasted - Rebellion would be Green Day. In my opinion my favorite sogns are Are We The Waiting, Extraordinary Girl, Letterbomb, Wake Me Up When September Ends, Homecoming, and Whatsername. All these songs so good and are some of the best Green Day sogns written in the last 6 years, but becuase they hate Bush, and the Media hates Bush, I doubt all of them, Whith Exceptiong to September will all be forgotten. If this were stolen, I would just burn it again like I did this time. I wouldnt buy this album just because I cant support a band that disses what I believe in. However, if you look at the bad, and the good on this album. The good Slightly over takes the bad. The Bottom Line is that this record is only selling so well because they are selling it as anti bush parade when it really isnt. Green Day is just the Media's Whore Right Now. Which kind of makes me laugh everytime I hear don't want a nation under the new media on American Idiot. // 6

American Idiot Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: I think the sound in American idiot is outstanding. The effects is BOBD are a great touch (but I think this song is getting overplayed), and the 2 styles of guitars in holiday are great. I like the variying sounds from the album, like in Jesus of Suburbia. Some call that song boring, but it kept me waiting to here what would come next. Billie Joe's voice has developed a lot from some of their eariler tracks, and his voice sounds perfect. Tre's drumming stands out a lot more and has become more advanced. The same goes with Mike's bass. The only flaws with the sound are in Homecoming. I just do not like that song, I have never got around to listing to the whole thing. Overall, GD's sound has developed a lot since Dookie. When I got this album, I was not looking for a strict "punk" album, which some people said it was not. I was just looking for good sounding music, not following a specific format. That is exatly what I got. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are incredible. Billie Joe is an incredible poet and the story flows very smoothly. I like the concept album, and I like the anti-bush lyrics. They are great, although I don't think the entire album is anti-bush. Only a handful of songs are. Billie's vocals can be heard perfectly over the guitar, unlike other albums, and his voice has seriously developed. The only lyrics that don't fit are in Extrodiary Girl. I liked how this album stayed away from the traditional alternative rock format of all songs about love and girls. This one song didnt fit in. Overall, great lyrics and vocals. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is a sensation compared to other Alternative albums I have. Every song is nothing short of incredible, minus Extrondiary girl. I can listen to the whole thing thru without skiping songs like I have to on my other CDs. This makes it my all time favorite album. My only concern is that they are killing the best songs by overplaying them. American Idiot is gone, BOBD is gone, and Holiday is going, my favorite song on the album. But if it was stolen, I would go and get another copy asap! Worth every penny. If you are looking for a great alt/punk album, this is for you. Great CD! // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: duncang, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Well, Green Day are one of my favourite bands, I love all of the albums, from Dookie to Warning, and I was very excited when I heard about this, I heard American Idiot on TV, knew they were jumping on the anti-bush bandwagon, and probably selling out. I was wrong. American Idiot is a bit of an insta-hit product, but a lot of the songs could be re recorded in a worse studio, and stuck on Dookie, and nobody would notice. I love the guitars, the bass isnt as good as it was in the past, but that isnt too important, this still good. I love Tre Cool's drumming, especially in Jesus Of Suburbia. Great sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics tell a pretty bad story, about (shockhorror) and american idiot! So basically this bloke is lonely and teen-angsty, he goes into a nice big city, gets pissed, meets a girl, gets dumped by the girl, and feels all sad. Clever lyrics though, and Billie Joe is a great singer. // 9

Overall Impression: 01. American Idiot - killer riff, and even R N' Bizzles know the words! I love it, but doesn't it get irritating after a while 10/10. 02. Jesus Of Suburbia - nice long thing, with a lot of parts, so I'm gonna do em individually: - Jesus Of Suburbia - very cool, and I love these lyrics, and the changeover to the next one is seamless. Nice guitar/drum solo thing too 10/10. - City Of The Damned - would be a hit single if they lengthened it and made it an individual track, but that applies to most of the mini songs. Rather depressing 10/10. - I Don't Care - the most old Green Day style of the mini songs, although it still is a bit different. Best bass/guitar riff on the album 9/10. - Dearly Beloved - very catchy, lyrics remind me of Brain Stew. Kind of short, but great while its there 10/10. - Tales Of Another Broken Home - I love that riff, and the quiet bit it very, very emo 9/10. 03. Holiday - catchy, and for this that is not such a good thing, because it gets very very irritating. I loved it at first, but as with quite a few songs on this album, over-exposure on MTV has killed it for me 7/10. 04. Boulevard Of Broken Dreams - the only point at which I can understand people saying they have sold out, this really does suck quite a lot. Again, over-exposure doesn't help, but "I walk alone I walk alone" is now the one thing I do not want to listen to. Cool outro though 6/10. 05. Are We The Waiting - one of my favourite songs on the album, clever lyrics, and very good guitar. The chorus gets a bit annoying towards the end, because they repeat it too much. Great song anyway 9/10. 06. St Jimmy - class song, this is Green Day not selling out! Up yours you stupid Dookie-addicts 10/10. 07. Give Me Novocaine - emo! Better than Boulevard though, since it hasn't been released as a single, although that could yet happen, I love the pre-chorus bit 9/10. 08. She's A Rebel - lots of people say this is their favourite Green Day song, but it gets annoying, which is more unique because it hasnt been on MTV 8/10. 09. Extraordinary Girl - bongos? Irritating song 6/10. 10. Letterbomb - nice name, and a damn catchy song. very cool 10/10. 11. Wake Me Up When September Ends - very sad, emo song. Very depressing video too. Nice guitar part too 9/10. 12. Homecoming - another long one. - Homecoming - I like the guitar sound, but it's pretty short 10/10. - The Death Of Saint Jimmy - kind of irritating 7/10. - East 12th Street - the I don't care bit are actually quite good lyrics, so long as its meant to be ironic 9/10. - Nobody Likes You - I love the melody, but I am sick of people singing along to it 8/10. - Rock And Roll Girlfriend - damn cool 10/10. 13. Whatsername - my favourite song, calm, and I love the bit where its just the guitar, nothing else. Sweet little song, about the random girl the random guy broke up with. Lovely song 10/10. Overall, I have said a lot of songs are irritating, but thats just cause I listened to them too much, on first impressions, all of these songs would get a 10 (except for Boulevard Of Broken Dreams, so I suppose it deserves one. // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: ibryant0915, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Without a doubt, this album made Green Day even MORE popular with the pop/rock audiences and hard rock audiences alike. All you see is "their amazing, I love Green Day." That's where I say "stop!" I mean, anyone who says that obviously hasn't listened to classic Green Day. The sound they have in this CD is bubblegum compared to classics like "Brain Stew" and almost everything else in previous albums. The sound of this CD is not good, fantastic, and basically just mediocre. // 6

Lyrics: I will give them props on some of the lyrics. You can tell in songs such as "Wake Me Up When September Ends," "Holiday," and "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" that they were telling a story. Although these songs are fairly similar, they all have different ways of telling you that the band members feel alone physically and in their thoughts ("I walk alone," "my shadow is the only thing that walks beside me," "I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies") Other songs like "Jesus Of Suburbia," "American Idiot" and a few parts of "Holiday" seem to be a sort of mix of what they thought sounded good and poetic rhyming schemes. // 9

Overall Impression: Compared to other modern day rock bands, I'd say they're pretty weak, but you've got to give them props for trying something new and different. Not only did they try to do something a little different but they succeeded. That is what's impressive to me. I love how a few of their songs actually tell a story, and how the songs flow smoothly (most of them anyways), I hate how everyone basically loved the songs that were in my opinion the worst. I'm sorry but anyone who thinks that "American Idiot" was a good song, is sadly mistaken. Yes, haha it's kind of sort of laugh in your head funny, but not a good song. If it were stolen/lost I would probably not buy a new one because I've heard the songs so many times (from the 1000's of times on the radio) that I'm pretty much tired of it. I'd much rather listen to Dookie. // 7

American Idiot Reviewed by: fingersofflame, on november 12, 2012

Sound: This album is probably not green day's best, but it is good nonetheless. I ended up buying this album mainly because it had Boulevard Of Broken Dreams on it, but I ended up liking the song Jesus Of Suburbia and Homecoming, mainly because there is a lot of variety in those songs, lyric wise as well as music wise. For instance there is the more mellow songs like Are We the Waiting and Wake Me Up When September Ends, and then there are the harder songs, like St. Jimmy and American Idiot. So overall the sound on this album is pretty good, nothing phenomonal though. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are a little more serious, so instead of singing about masturbation (Longview) the band's lyrics are a little more centered on the state of the country and that sorta thing, like in American Idiot and Holiday. A name that constantly appears in the lyrics is St. Jimmy, there is also a mention to Jesus of Suburbia in Homecoming, so in case you haven't figured it out, this album is more like a story and is meant to be heard all at once. So overall the lyrics on this album are pretty good, but yet again, nothing phenomonal. // 9

Overall Impression: My favorite songs on this album would have to be Whatsername, and Jesus of Suburbia. However, I don't like the song "Extraordinary Girl," mainly because it just sucks, no other way to say it. Whatsername is probably the best song on this album, but that is just my opinion, you really have to listen to the album yourself and figure out what your mnost favorite and most hated songs are. Overall, this is a pretty good album, though I do think that Green Day has had better songs and albums. Though it is nothing phenomonal or ground-breaking, I strongly reccomend that you buy this album. I hope that this review has helped you, and keep on rockin'. // 8

American Idiot Reviewed by: Guitar_Master92, on november 12, 2012

Sound: The fact that Green Day were starting to get old in the music scene didn't stop them from making a new album. They had a vision, of an album that would send them to the top. With American Idiot they did just that. American idiot is not only an album, it's a story. St. Jimmy, Jesus Of Suburbia, and Watsername are all characters that you will meet as you pop the album into your CD player and start off the tracks great start to a series of good times, American Idiot. The style of this album is not exactly what Green Day used to be, and they did lose a lot of old fans, but only hardcore Green Day fans would stick with them through this time of change. When I first heard this album I didn't think I would become so attached, but as I started to understand the story I couldn't resist listening to the songs hundereds of times. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics all reflect the story. I don't really want to give away any of it's amazing glory. It's just crazy how they managed to come up with such a story. // 10

Overall Impression: Personally I think that the most impressive songs that Green Day did on this album would have to be Homecoming, Jesus Of Suburbia, Holiday, and American Idiot. There amazing songs and great for just plain old listening to. I love this album because of the story. Again I go back to the story. It's like as if you actually know more than the characters know and you feel like you want to know more but you can't fill in the peices, and that's what I think an album should do. Make you wonder. Yes if it was stolen or lost I would for sure buy another one. Without a doubt. Even if it cost $10 more than I originally payed for it I would still buy it! Overall it's a great album that no Green Day fan should miss. And if you don't like Green Day then I would just like you do know that you are missing out on a great bunch of songs. // 8

American Idiot Reviewed by: hellfire21, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Punk rock lives on! This CD is one of Green Day's best. It is the CD that made me a Green Day fan, and see them live in concert. The sound is great. The opening track, "American Idiot", Starts off with a lightly distorted guitar (Blue, Billie Joe's Fernandez Stratocaster). Then it explodes into heavy guitars and pounding drums. The songs are a bit longer. They were made in the shadow of The Who's rock oprea's. "Jesus of Suburbia" and "Homecoming" are long but good. It's amazing that such a good CD was produced from a band thinking of throwing in the towel. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics of this CD are amazing. The first song, "American Idiot", has a great tune. Billie Joe may not be recognized as one of the greatest singers around now. The stories told through "Jesus Of Suburbia", "Homecoming", "St. Jimmy", and "Wake Me Up When September Ends" are beautiful pieces of work. It's amazing that they could do something like that. Billie Joe usually writes great songs, but these are amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: The CD is up there as one of Green Day's best. I personally beleive "Dookie" was their best, but this comes in at number 2. "American Idiot", "Holiday", "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams", and "Wake Me Up When September Ends" are the best songs off this album. Some of the songs don't do much for me, like "Give Me Novacaine" and "Extraordinary Girl", but the CD still rocks. This CD proves punk rock is still alive and kickin'! // 9

American Idiot Reviewed by: steve16bball, on november 12, 2012

Sound: For a band that's been around since '87 Green Day has been going strong for 22 years, with two generations of fans, world tours and 8 studio albums, they've always stuck to the same sound, and people knew what to expect, but never know what they were about to hear. Punk rock is the life blood of their thriving success, and American Idiot doesn't disappoint, to me being the most genuine punk rock I've heard since Rage Against the Machine. All the songs are catchy and instantly likable, my personal favorite being American Idiot for it's fast paced sound and great protest lyrics that bring you back to reality, which I think is the sole goal of this album. The main protagonist is Jimmy or 'The Jesus of Suburbia' which implies he saves the people in suburbia (hence the 'Jesus') who lives in Jingletown, US, who is someone in his own world of drugs, TV and sex, then he later gets bored of Jingletown and decides to leave, in the 'City of the Damned' and the rest of the album are his adventures living the life he was looking for and finally found. This album has a great mix of really fast paced songs and then some slow ballads, which are in a great order for sound and feeling, like how Holiday ends where Boulevard of Broken Dreams (the nest track #4) begins. I don't find that much change in sense of music styles from their previous albums, however you can definitely sense that the band has a different motive and feel for this album, that they are truly passionate about and you can also, just by listening and comparing see how in this album the band has definitely changed in maturity writing about more serious topics, such as the death of Billy Joe Armstrong's (lead singer/guitarist) father in Wake Me Up When September Ends, where he expresses true sorrow. There are also great displays of changing in pitch and volume like in Boulevard of Broken Dreams and Extraordinary Girl. All in all, I believe it's the soul that Green Day put into this album that gave it such a great sound. // 10

Lyrics: My overall impression of the lyrics is that you can tell by the complexity of the words they were well thought over and they just sound great together and hardly any of them rhyme (obviously some do of course) which means that the words just simply go well together and the music that goes perfectly with them is like stitching up a cut making it look great, yet in this case sound great. Each song is a masterpiece, the words so true and meaningful. Billy Joe Armstrong, the lead vocalist is a great singer because he has his own way of bending his words to make them sound the way he thinks they should be heard, and it ties in well with the music and his voice is really great, no song is too high or too low for him to sing because his voice varies in many different pitches and his voice is just so darn cool. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my favorite CD of all time, and for so many reasons. The thing is, I love Green Day and have almost all of their albums (missing Kerplunk and Shenanigans :)) which gives me lots of space to compare and take a look at how their music has changed since their first studio album Dookie from 1994, to American Idiot a decade later, and i think it's definitely improved. I love Dookie, but American Idiot is just fantastic and I see improvement over all albums and I even think (this is somewhat debatable cause I love it as well) it is better than 21st Century Breakdown, Green Day's latest album. American Idiot has improved in the sound and lyrics. The most impressive songs of the album to me are American Idiot-Fast paced blood pumping, this IS punk rock, Jesus of Suburbia-for it's many parts, all sound good and fit together like chapters in a book, Holiday-For the great guitar, Boulevard of Broken Dreams-Great lyrics, Give Me Novacaine- A really cool sounding track, great lyrics and great drums (Tre Cool), St. Jimmy- Another alias of the so called 'Jesus of Suburbia' a great song about who you are (Jimmy's perspective of course) and Wake Me Up When September Ends, a beautiful song Billy Joe wrote about coping with the death of his father at the age of ten and how he feels during the month of September, a sad song loved by all for the catchy guitar intro and lyrics. These songs are the best of the best, all the other songs are great as well. What I love about this album is that it's just so real, there's not a bit of techno (which is a component of all the shitty bands out there today thank god Green Day never has and never will use it) also that I feel that Green Day, as they were working on this album, they were objective to the expectations of the people around them, they don't care if so many people have moved into a shit hole called pop, they're gonna bring them back to rock, and back to reality, because now all it is in rock (rock not really cause there are great bands out there today but some bring shame to the face of rock music as a whole) and pop is girls, girls, girls which is starting to bug me. And I love Green Day becaus ein that sense, it's the most refreshing thing in the industry today, even though theyre liek two decades old, no one can deny that. And if this album were stolen...I'd put up wanted posters for the thief, hire a hitman and then I'd buy a new one. If I lose it, I'll punch myself in the face then by a new one :). Guys, I know I'm weird but it's just such a great album and if you disagree no problem this is just how I see it. Thanks for reading. // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: KingOfDaStrings, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Green Day has definitely tried more that just style of music of music since they released their breakthrough record "Dookie" back in 1994. "Dookie" was, in my opinion, their most punk sounding record. 1997's "Nimrod" trailed three years behind Dookie and was also a major hit, carrying the same punk sound that Dookie had to offer. Then GD released "Warning" in '01 and "Shenanigans" in '03, both of which carried a pop rock kind of sound. Then Green Day began work on a new album called "Cigarettes And Valentines". They we're almost done with it too, when some dude stole the master tracks. So instead of re-recording everything, the decided to spend the next few months writing new material. All this came together as and album called "American Idiot", which is a mix of punk, rock, and pop. // 10

Lyrics: This is a Rock Opera, so here's the story: 01. "American Idiot": This song is about the main character, Jesus of Suburbia (no religious meaning whatsoever), crying out about basically how his life sucks, saying he doesn't wanna be an "American Idiot". 02. "Jesus Of Suburbia": More about JOS. 03. "Holiday": He's gone. JOS left home without a care in the world. He's living on the streets and everything is AWESOME. This songs was also about rage against the Government. 04. "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams": Wait a second. This isn't at all what JOS thought it would be. He's all alone. 05. "Are We The Waiting": JOS, crying out for somebody... Anybody. 06. "St.Jimmy": We are introduced to St. Jimmy, the leader of his gang. He finds JOS and takes him under his wing as one of his own. 07. "Give Me Novacaine": Jimmy and JOS do drugs, or it could possibly be JOS asking Jimmy what will help with the pain in his life. 08. "She's A Reble": JOS finds this girl and they fall in love. Her name is what'sername. 09. "Extraordinary Girl": More about WHN. 10. "Letterbomb": WHN can't take it anymore and leaves town, never to return. JOS is TICKED. 11. "Wake Me Up When September Ends": JOS is alone again. He decides to go back home. This is also a memorial to Billie Joe's father, who dies in September when he was 8. 12. "Homecoming": St. Jimmy kills himself (not sure why...) and JOS leaves for home. 13. "What'sername": JOS has been home for quite some time and remembers what'sername. He looks back on all his experiences. The album ends with the words, "Forgetting you but not the time." BONUS TRACKS ON DELUXE EDITION: 14. "Shoplifter": About stealing stuff. 15. "Governator": More rage against the Government. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is one of the best albums I own. It's really interesting to listen to it as a piece, as well as one song at a time. This is DEFINITELY some of GD's best work. Like I said, it's a rock opera, and it's also about how Americans can be... Well... Idiots at times. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED ALBUM! // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: punkgtrst096, on november 12, 2012

Sound: The sound on this album is the typical Green Day that we all know - agressively strummed power chords, driving bass riffs, and crazy drumming. But there's a little more to it. The album suggests that Green Day might have hit another maturity growth spurt as they did with Warning, because it is, to say the least, very well composed. It's supposed to be a "rock opera" - something that I hadn't heard of until I read a review about the album - and I guess that's what it is. The songs focus around a group of characters such as the "Jesus Of Suburbia," "Whatserface," and "St. Jimmy". // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. I've always thought Billy Joe Armstrong is one of the greatest punk/pop-punk song writers/singers ever, because his lyrics are simple and straight to the point. These songs are a little different though. Since it's a rock opera, the album seems to play out like a story, and since it's a story, there's kind of a hidden meaning behind each song that you really have to listen to in order to get it. // 10

Overall Impression: This album far surpasses the other albums in my opinion. I mean, Dookie and Nimrod are two of my favorite albums, but this American Idiot kicks ass. It's not really an attack on the Bush administration, but more of an "Open you're f--cking eyes and start realizing what's going on around you!" My favorite songs on this album are "Jesus Of Suburbia" - a nine minute song that seems to be about a boy moving out of a town full of losers and he really doesn't care; "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" - a song about being alone (I think); and "Holiday", which is pretty much about what's going on in the world right now. I can't think of anything bad about this album. I really like it, and if was stolen, this is probably the only cd I would kick the shit out of somebody for. Go buy it. // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: greenday41, on november 12, 2012

Sound: First of all, I think this is the best Green Day album. I definately think this is their most musical album yet. There is a story to this album also. Characters by the names of Jesus Of Surbia, St. Jimmy, and Whatsername are an essential part of the album. There are two songs that are each about nine minutes long. One called "Jesus Of Suburbia" and one called "Homecoming". Those are to me, the songs with the deepest story to them. This album doesn't really have a resemblance to any of their previous ones. Billie Joe plays much better guitar and Tre Cool changed his style a little bit as he has been on Green Day's 2 previous albums (Warning and Nimrod). He doesn't just bang away at them, he limits himself to how hard he plays but he definately sounds good. Mike Dirnt is still excellent on bass and hasn't really changed much. Green Day definately sounds better now than ever before. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were very deep on this album. Many of Green Day's words relected on todays politics such as the line in the albums opening song American Idiot, "I'm not a part of a redneck agenda." But most of the songs evolve around the three main characters in this punk-rock opera. The song entitled "Holiday" is the most politically enraged song on the album. The lyrics on this album are definately cool because for most of the songs, it seems like your listening to a story. Billie Joe sings great too. // 10

Overall Impression: This album does not compare to any other Green Day album. I guess in some sense its kinda like The Who's Tommy. The best sons on the album are Jesus Of Suburbia, Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams, St. Jimmy, and Homecoming. What I love about this album is partly the new sound of Green Day and the great lyrics. There isn't anything I dont like about it. This right now, my favorite album. I'd definatley get mad if it were stolen and if it was, I would definately buy a new one. // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: This album blew me away. I never listened to Green Day before but that's certainly only because I hadn't heard of them, but from the moment I heard 'Boulevard Of Broken Dreams' I immediately wanted to know about this band. And now they're my favourite punk/soft rock group. I never really listened to much punk/soft rock music before, apart from the odd Blink 182, Good Charlotte, The Clash and more but since listening to this album my music taste as totally changed, and I'm glad, Green Day are extremely talented. The rock-opera (or punk-opera) is quite intense and tells a story when listened to carefully. It hits you with a 'wow, this is great, let me turn my speakers up' sorta vibe from the start to finish, and a few plays later you find yourself singing along to the lyrics while playing the air guitar (or drums). The sound is amazing. Billie, Tre and Mike's talent put together makes a must-turn-my-speakers-up from the first beat of 'American Idiot' to the last beat of 'Whatserface.' // 10

Lyrics: Throughout the album there is a continuing story. It revolves around three main characters: Jesus Of Suburbia, Whatsername and St. Jimmy and tells a story of how the central character Jesus Of Suburbia advances through stages of life. The lyrics are meaningful, and very well written. Billie has a great voice that blends in very well with the music, he sometimes experiments with different tones to suit different parts, which works very well. The backup vocals are great fits the tracks very well. // 10

Overall Impression: Having this been the first album I have ever listened to by Green Day, I can't compare to any previous albums but can just say that I'm impressed and will definitely be purchasing some of their older stuff. The tracks that particularly stood out to me were Holiday, Homecoming, Wake Me Up When September Ends, Whatsername, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams and Give Me Novocaine. If it were stole? Crap, buy another one and then find out who the hell stole it! // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: weezergeek182, on november 12, 2012

Sound: The sound of the album on occasion strays away from the Steriotyped pop punk sound that Green Day has become known for, but all too often Green Day has shown that they haven't grown as song writers. In the songs in which Green Day do try to grow they are somewhat strained and feel slighly out of place. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrical content of the album is supposed to tell a story. It includes charaters and such, but when Billie Joe starts singing about migrains and tre starts singing about having a rock and roll house it can leave the listener quite confused. The situation in which the main character commits suicide and it is completely unexplained also leaves you asking "what is going on?" // 4

Overall Impression: With all the concept albums: "The Wall," "Pinkerton," "Smile," "Killroy Was Here", and so many others, What is it that makes american idiot stand out? When I listen to it songs like the title track, Letterbomb, and She's A Rebel dive deep into green day cliche. Some songs do stand out such as "Holiday" and "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" but they stand out as being good not change-the-face-of-music great. The 2 tracks in which Green Day compile 5 snippets into one song do flow well with a couple of exceptions. I'm listening to a story about a man who just commited suicide and all of a sudden someone starts singing about have a "Rock And Roll House" and a "Rock And Roll Car". That one hit me right out of left field. And the eary "Nobody Likes You" that follows closing the second and might I add clearly strained medly leaves the listener a little creeped out and wondering what the hell is going on in this story. // 4

American Idiot Reviewed by: Abstract_Man, on november 12, 2012

Sound: This is, without doubt, one of the albums of 2004. I find it strange that so many people think Green Day have changed their sound so much though, judging by some other reviews on here. Yes, some of the songs do sound different to some Green Day songs, but, they are not over different from theirr other songs. American Idiot, She's A Rebel, Letterbomb and some others sound like they could fit on any other Green Day album, and, in all fairness, Holiday etc all sound like they could be on other pop-punk records. I am not trying to criticise this album, but really just state my beliefs and for those interested, I do like the sound of the album except for maybe a few things. This CD is extremely well produced, maybe even over-produced. For this reason I find myself getting bored by it after a while, because I prefer the harder hitting, rawer sounds that come from punk. The rawness makes it seem more enegetic, and the production of this record does seem to take away some of that energy. However, it is an extremely easy album to listen to and all the songs sound very good. The effects used on Boulevard Of Broken Dreams is a neat clever touch, and the guitar overdubs are used wisely. // 8

Lyrics: Personally, I was confused by the lyrics. I think they're good, but I got very confused by the story. As mentioned in an earlier review, after Jimmy "commits suicide," we hear the "I've got a rock and roll house" etc with trumpets and everything seems really joyous, although the storyline should mean that the following lyrics should be downbeat. Other than that, the lyrics are very good, Wake Me Up When September Ends would be the lyrical highlight for me, with "Holiday" as a close second. These lyrics work well, and also make good sense, unlike the bizzare lyrics to "Homecoming (IV Rock And Roll Girlfriend)." // 8

Overall Impression: American Idiot is a very good, very well produced album. Is it Green Day doing what every pop punk band seems to be doing by "maturing"? Not really, when considering they have always been vocal politically and probably the most punk out of the pop punk bunch. There aren't any awful songs on here, and I will gladly listen to the album all through without skipping any tracks, however, there are some down points. For example, I just don't get Are We The Waiting and the more and more I listen to the 9 minute tracks, the more I think they don't work as well as I thought originally, although they are good tracks. The standout songs for me are Boulevard Of Broken Dreams (which I fear is getting to be overplayed), Holiday and Wake Me Up When September Ends. American Idiot is a good song, but is not the best on the album. As good as the album is, and it is good, it does bore me after a few listens. Therefore I wouldn't call it one of the greatest albums ever. I can't play it over and over like I can with Nirvana's In Utero. However, I do rate this album as one of the best I own, which seems really strange considering how much I feel I could criticise. The main thing is, this album contains some superb songs. They are songs that wouldn't sound bad on a greatest hits album, and, if on any other Green Day album, would possibly be classed as one of the best. If I lost this CD, or if it was stolen, I would buy it again. Still none as good as Basket Case, although they're getting there! I recommend you to buy this album. // 8

American Idiot Reviewed by: levelwisedallas, on november 12, 2012

Sound: I am a Green Day fan. When I heard about American Idiot, I cringed. Even as someone who wouldn't mind beating Bush to death, this is kind of cliche in the music world, and I don't want to hear more shit that reminds me how shitty the world is, I want to start hearing people crying about being rejected! That is much more fun! This album is very interesting in it's design, a "rock opera" about some young adult in the 'burbs. He is pissed about Bush, and life in general, goes to the city and regrets it essentially. So, this was a hard album to get right, but they nailed it. I don't hear as many awesome bass lines from Dirnt in this, although I'm not trying very hard to find them, they don't jump out at you as much. Cool's drumming is as badass as ever, but it's not as creative, or varied, or frantic, it's just him beating the hell out of the thing and ocassionally hitting another drum thingy. Still effective. The simple punk-ish power chord guitar playing of Armstrong is as usual creative and very catchy. But this time the tone has gone to shit. Anyone remember that awesome Straty tone of Armstrong's signature 'Blue' mongrel Stratocaster? Well, it's been replaced by the standard LP sounding shittiness that is par for the course in crappy bands these day's. The tone seems different, the distortion is crunchier and with less emotive qualities, it isn't the unique crunch he had in Blue. It's more straight up and boring. Still the actual chord playing while not as good as usual, is still relatively good. The band is trying for a harder, hit you in the balls type of sound, more distortiong, deeper bass, harder drumming, Armstrong's voice is heavier now. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are actually quite excellent. Minus American Idiot, and She's A Rebel, the lyrics are very good. Jesus Of Suburbia is a superb song. Homecoming as well, the whole album tell's a story in order, but I won't get into detail here, it's been accurately addressed by another reviewer (off on two songs). These are fairly depressing lyrical compositions. They aren't overally pop-ish as many want you to believe. This isn't just about Bush, this is about our entire culture, and all the stupid little nuances of it. This album completely caught me off guard, I expected a sell out, pseudo punk album to completely degrade this excellent band, instead it was a war cry. I was surpised. // 10

Overall Impression: Excellent. I was surprised. I actually wanted to hate it, even as someone who is very anti-Bush. This album is epic, and I feel the need to defend it. Although, the worst Green Day song ever, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, is on this album. That and American Idiot need to fucking die, they are so fucking annoying. I am sick of those two songs, they need to go. Now. // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: krplnkinucoffee, on november 12, 2012

Sound: I'm a big Green Day fan. This record is different from other CD's they've made. They really progressed from their first record. The CD tells a story, which I think is great. It has 2 songs, both over 9 minutes long, which are superb. It's definetely an anti-Bush album, which makes it that much better. I think this is Green Day's best album, only because they've made it so far since they first started out. Although their other albums are just as good, American Idiot is such an advance. There's a whole story behind how they got to making American Idiot, and the songs have such inspiration. You can tell they put a lot into each song, because they all have a great sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are awesome. They go so well with the music, and the lyrics tell a story, too. Billie Joe puts so much into the songs, and his singing is wonderful. Each song has a true meaning. Most artists these days make songs all about girls or going to the 'Candy Shop' (I despise that song). Unlike those other singers, Green Day put meaningful lyrics that actually tell a story, and some of the songs even transition into each other which is very cool. I think the lyrics were absolutely awesome. // 10

Overall Impression: I've heard American Idiot compared to some of the greatest albums in history, and I definetely agree. Jesus Of Suburbia is one of the best songs on the CD, as well as Holiday, Homecoming, and Whatsername. Boulevard Of Broken Dreams was a big hit, although it's way overplayed. And American Idiot is just purely awesome. Being an obsessive (not joking) Green Day fan, I love everything about it. There's not much to hate. Although sometimes when you're listening to the beginning of Extraordinary Girl or Letterbomb you just want the song to start, but I still think it was a nice touch to the songs. I recently lost the CD in my dads car, but luckily it was still on my computer so I burned it. The songs didn't transition right, and I accidenly got two other Green Day songs on there, but I did somehow end up finding the origional which made me very happy. I think it's worth buying, even if you aren't a huge fan. It's definetely an impressive album, and if I were you, I'd buy it! // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Green Day has truly created a great punk sound on this album. Some people complain that it is all power chords and meaningless crap. They don't remember that all of the old punk like the Sex Pistols, Ramones, and Dead Kennedys was usually just 3 or 4 simple easy chords. If people paid attention they would realize that this album has more open chords than any previous album. It may be simple, but the album is not about complexity, its about the feeling behind the chords. You can be a horrible guitar player and still make a great album if you have feeling behind your music. // 10

Lyrics: I am a conservative middle-class American. That supposedly means I am supposed to hate this album and all that it stands for. While I do not agree with some of the beliefs presented I do respect the fact that it contains some of the most meaningful and well written lyrics I have ever seen. Now I listen to the old classics like Zeppelin and Sabbath and I love them dearly but the fact is that while it was great writing it usually didn't really say anything in particular. The reason I like these lyrics are that the band chose a theme and stuck to it. They were mad and didn't try to cover it up with light-hearted crap. // 10

Overall Impression: While this album is a great deal far away from previous Green Day ventures I believe it shows how they have matured along and becoming one of the defining rock groups of our age. I believe it has a very similar feel to Tommy by The Who. They both are simply made with just guitars, drums, keyboards, and a bass, and both tell a story. Some of the songs from the album such as Jesus Of Suburbia, Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams and Homecoming are truly great rock songs and truly show the musicianship of the group. One song I don't really like all that much is the song Letterbomb. I think that they went a little to emo on that song but it still rounds out the album nicely. I would like to say to all of those who say Green Day sold out on this album that the opposite is true. You sell out when you do only what your fans and popular culture want you to do. Green Day stood above that and made what they thought was a good album, and in doing so created one of the greatest rock albums of the era. // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: Asn1791, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Unlike many of my friends, I knew about, and liked Green Day before this album. When I compared the sound between this album and Dookie, it didn't really seem all that different. Sure, Dookie was louder (and not as well produced), but it's still the same three chord stuff. // 8

Lyrics: What is with Rockstars getting all political? Come on! Paris Hilton is still alive so, we know "Vote Or Die" is not a true statement. Billie Joe got all caught up in the politics and being stuck on the "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams." I used to like that song before it started getting serious airplay. Now I can't stand it, but the lyrics are good. In fact the lyrics are good in the entire album. Billie Joe may not be a fan of making complicated music, but he can write. The lyrics show an understanding of the year 2004 and really in the state of this world at the moment. They also show a disliking for the Bush administration. I don't really think that matters to anyone. I personally love the lyrics to this album and they go well with the music. I didn't like the lyrics to "Nobody Likes You" in "Homecoming." The lyrics were stupid and I don't really care if Mike Dirnt wants to talk about drinking too much coffee. Even though I critized his lyrics I thought his Bass playing was really good on this album so don't hate me people. Billie Joe's vocal were the same as always and I wish Tre' Cool would just never sing again. // 8

Overall Impression: It's not the greatest album ever or anything like that, but I really like it. The best songs are "Jesus Of Suburbia" and "Wake Me Up When September Ends." I liked Billie Joe's lyrics. I didn't like Mike's and the drummer needs to stop singing. He's an incredible drummer, but I really don't like his singing voice. If it was stolen or lost I would definitely buy it again. // 8

American Idiot Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Firstly, I think that Green Day fans are looked down upon by "superior" musicians and I think that's bullcrap but with that being said - the sound on American Idiot is immaculate. There are no "holes" in Green Day's sound. Green Day's long-time producer, Rob Cavallo, is a genius and it really shows on this one. The album as a whole depicts a storyline that Billie Joe arranged perfectly. There's not enough to know exactly what happens but there's enough to make the listener think about certain things in the world today. Billie Joe hits the personal politics angle right on the head and doesn't bash the listener with a "Vote For" slogan. This is their best album of all time in my opinion and they've only gotten better in 15 years, every single song on this album can be a single. // 10

Lyrics: I think Billie is in a class of his own as far as lyrics go, as well as stage-presence but that's another story. As a songwriter, I think Billie has a knack for writing lyrics and phrases that you kinda feel are always on your mind and it's kinda like "Damnit why didn't I thinka that." The things he talks about are so simple but he handles each song like it's a little story in its own right. As far as singing goes Billie Joe has really really grown vocally on this album. Play this alongside Dookie and you can hear the 10 years of experience difference. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is by far my favorite album of all time. Once again, I think Green Day fans are looked down on too much by "better" musicians. I listen to jazz to blues to country and anything else I can get my hands on cause I think it's good to broaden your horizons and what not but never-the-less, I will always return to punk-rock as my favorite genre and this will always be my favorite album from my favorite band. // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Green Day before American Idiot - a noisy in your face band with nice guitar riffs and speedy drumming and vocals (excluding Good Riddance). Green Day with American Idiot - a more mature Green Day with a controlled paced guitar and drums and more controlled better sound with more mature vocals. Green Day really matures with this album! Enough said! On this album, it shows how Green Day really dislike the US gouvernement and want to finally state something. They do this buy a story Billie Joe Armstrong made up. It is about a boy named the Jesus Of Suburbia who hates his town (assuming his town is an example of some other country besides America). He leaves home and goes to America where he finds it's much worse so he comes home again. Green Day on albums like Dookie, Nimrod and Insomniac use all punk songs fast paced with speedy drumming. On American Idiot they use a bunch of different styles like ballad, punk, grunge, folk and so on and so forth. The sound is pitch on their other albums Billie Joe always sang at some parts slightly off key but that's because he wasn't 100% musically trained. Now he is 100% musically trained and he can sing different types of styles of music. Same with Mike Dirnt on bass and Tre Cool on drums they learned how to drum and play bass at all sorts of styles. Who knows maybe in the future, Tre Cool may use an African drum in one of their songs! // 10

Lyrics: The overall impact of the lyrics is the best part about this album. It's simple Green Day goes political! They say that the people of America are being brainwashed the gouvernement and the media and they the US population has to be themselves. It think it is a great message because personally I agree with Green Day's message. Green Day delivers the message in a way everyone can enjoy. Good job! // 10

Overall Impression: This is by far Green Day's best album! This is the first classic record of the 21st Century (well other then Coldplay's A Rush Of Blood To The Head). This is a concept at it's best! Definatly the best album since Nirvana's Nevermind or Guns N' Roses' Apetite For Destruction and the best concept album since Pink Floyd's The Wall and The Who's Tommy. The 3 most impressive songs on this album are these three (drum roll) Letterbomb, (drum roll) Wake Me Up When September Ends, (drum roll) and Are We The Waiting. This is the album that will save music, I know because bands like U2, Audioslave, The White Stripes and Coldplay are coming out with new stuff and they are doing it because Green Day's album is inspiring the return of rock n' roll and good music and all these other bands are joining. It is the downfall of bad music all that hip-hop/rap/pop is now going slightly down the tubes and that's a good thing. Hip-hop/rap and diva pop is a waste of CD room in my opinion and in my opinion it's not even music. What I love about this album - everything! Great message delivered in a great sound it's brilliant! Nothing to hate! If I lost it I would buy it again period. This album made me a better person I a way now I'm not afraid to speak my mind and to try to change things in the world in a positive way. Great job Green Day I hope you get inducted into the rock n' roll hall of fame and that you guys keep going farther and farther. // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: screen21, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Green Day revolutionized into something more either very full of adrenaline, more calm, or more cheering. Green Day's style is still almost the same but the songs are what have changed. The genre of the music played in the album is punk rock opera. Something that surprises about this album is that sometimes when a note is played, you expect a certain note to be played after that one, but another unexpected note plays instead. That is pretty good how Green Day make some cacophonies work. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics make more sense than the rest of the songs in the past albums. Billie Joe is so damn creative! I mean who would've come up with something like "Jesus Of Subutbia" or "St. Jimmy"! All the songs are good. Billie Joe's voice is very melodic in this album. I was surprised to hear Tre Cool singing, he did it pretty well but different, he's got style. Mike's background vocals were excellent. All of their lyrics mix along with the music very well! // 10

Overall Impression: It's very different to every other punk rock band. All the songs are good musically and lyrically. The best song for me is "Jesus Of Suburbia" because of how they play 5 songs as one and making them fit in pretty well as well as "Homecoming." Also "St. Jimmy" is a very good song because of all the stuff it talks about it's pretty creative. And of course all the singles launched are very impressive. The best thing about this album is the lyrics, they're so creative and how thos lyrics get familiarized with the music. I would definitely buy the album again to be listening to such wonderfull music and also to give the band a couple more bucks to their pockets. // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: superguitarist1, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Amazing sound. This is Green Day's first pop/rock album, soit's not so much towards the old Green Day fans, but it's opened to a new audience. In Blvd. Of Broken Dreams, a whammy bar is used to create the background sound and then they use half acoustic half electric to play the amazing song. This Technique is also used in Wake Me Up When September Ends. // 9

Lyrics: A lot of explicit content type lyrics are used, so it's not really for children. And a lot of the songs are somewhat emo for their taste, but they're still political as ever. If you listen closely to the following songs: American Idiot, Jesus Of Suburbia (not so much though), Holiday, Homecoming and a few others of which I cannot remember. They will be talking about topics like the war on gas, the media, and many other substantial and political topics. And They seem to be able to match up lyrics almost perfectly to the music so that they aren't rapping, or singing like Ozzy, but are actually singing lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: If you didn't like Green Day before, you will feel differently now. The album is one of the greatest albums I've ever listened to, so I definitely recommend it. My personal favorites are Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams, Wake Me Up When September Ends, American Idiot, Give Me Novacaine, and almost every other song on the album. // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: fox69, on november 12, 2012

Sound: This is actually the first green day CD I ever got. sure I had heard some of there songs before like "Time Of Your Life," but this was the first CD that really stuck out. Billy Joe is actually a very talented guitarist, which is sort of rare in the punk genre. Mike is a great bassist with lots of good riffs, and tre' is definetly an awsome drummer. I used to think travis barker's work on "Enema Of The State" was the best display of punk drumming until this album. It's very good. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically it can be very political like the title track, but I was quite impressed that the album had a few different topics as well. he sings about his late father in "Wake Me Up When September Ends", which surprised me because I thought the song would be political. also mike does a great job at backing vocals throughout the album. overall very well done. // 10

Overall Impression: I thought this album would compare more to some of there earlier song, but it seems a lot more mature. the 2 songs that are like 9 minutes are very impressive for the fact that they could play for that long and meld different themes into it, although lyrically, "Homecoming" is sort of shitty. the best songs are "Blvd. Of Broken Dreams," "Holiday," "Jesus Of Suburbia," "Give Me Novacaine," "She's A Rebel," "Wake Me Up When September Ends" and "Whatsername." American Idiot is a very good album and I highly recommend it. The title track had become to overplay and I'm a bit sick of it, but overall the rest of the album is very impressive. If someone stole it they'd get an ass kickin' and then I'd get the CD again. // 9

American Idiot Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: I decided to write this because I had read some bad reviews about the CD, and I just wanted to say something about them. First of all, "American Idiot" is a great CD. Sure, it has imperfections, but it's still amazing. Sure, Green Day puts a lot of pop into this CD, but, for all you people who say "Dookie" was great and bashed "American Idiot," have you actually heard "Dookie"? It has more pop hooks than "American Idiot." You guys complain about how Green Day bashes George Bush for being a republican, but you're just bashing Green Day for writing catchy songs. I truly hate people that dislike music just because it's mainstream. Some of you probably haven't even listened to the CD. And as far as I know, "American Idiot" is the first punk rock opera. Yeah, "Tommy" was a punk rock opera, but the phrase "punk rock" didn't even exist back then. Anyways, this is one of Green Day's greatest accomplishments. // 10

Lyrics: All I can say is, whiny and boring. No, just kidding. I'm not a stupid, and, in fact, whiny little b--ch who bashes the mainstream for fun. The lyrics are wonderful. They tell a story, but not in a way that you easily know what's going on. Although "Dookie" had the most clever lyrics of Green Day's career, "American Idiot" exceeds that. // 9

Overall Impression: 01. American Idiot - great opener. Maybe too easy to play but it's good anyway 8/10. 02. Jesus Of Suburbia - best song on the album. People don't think it's the longest song ever, but are amazed that it's being released as a single. A big leap for Green Day 10/10. 03. Holiday - to be honest, I can't stand this song anymore, yes because it was played too much, but I was amazed the first time I heard it 8/10. 04. Boulevard Of Broken Dreams - probably the most hated Green Day song. It's not too impressive and all the guitar layers bother me, but it's still a good song 8/10. 05. Are We The Waiting - least impressive song on the album but still kind of a guily pleasure 8/10. 06. St. Jimmy - refreshing, fast-paced song 9/10. 07. Give Me Novocaine - you might hear the opening of this song and immediately skip it, but it's one of the best songs on the album. Don't worry, it gets distorted after a while 10/10. 08. She's A Rebel - maybe I like "Are We The Waiting" better than this song. This is the point that Green Day gets too poppy 6/10. 09. Extraordinary Girl - extraordinary song. Doesn't really sound like Green Day, but is catchy as hell. 10. Letterbomb - it may not be the best song on the album, but it's my favorite. I don't really like the intro, though 10/10. 11. Wake Me Up When September Ends - excellent ballad that pulls lyrics straight out of Billie's heart. Don't call someone emo just because they have feelings. 12. Homecoming - similar to "Jesus Of Suburbia" but not quite as good. I'm still happy to have it beacuse without it, "Jesus" would have never been created 9/10. 13. Whatsername - I love this song but the first 2 minutes are just a borefest. The ending makes it all worth while, though. Great ending 10/10. Some advice from me to you, don't listen to people who bash this album. Although, I respesct their opinions, I don't respect their arrogance. In my opinion, this is a great album. // 9

American Idiot Reviewed by: MichaelG1988, on november 12, 2012

Sound: When listening to this album I felt like I was listening to a totally different Green Day. Improved drumming from tre, some awesome bass guitar by mike, and I was glad to hear some cool intros and solos from billy. Granted the solo's wherent as good or as long as some of the previous albums. However, some songs seemed rather repeative but we can only blame TV and Radio for constantly playing it. This album had some cool affects and implementation of Saxophone and other intrusments has really show how mature Green Day is becoming. Just to say, to the people that have said all this album is is 'powerchords', firstly find out the difference between power chords and barre chords, and secondly listen to the album again. 9/10 - not 10 because it lacked excellent guitar solos, which we know Billie can do, weve seen it in the past. // 9

Lyrics: Well for the lyrics, some of these songs really touched me and once again has shown how Green Day is maturing. For example "When Septemeber Ends," the lyrics and music compliment each other perfectly, and the lyrics really make you think about life and how fast things go by. Overall the lyrics and music complimented each other well. The words chosen really make you understand the ideology behind the album and really puts you into the heart of it all. As for single skills, what can I say, Billie just has great talent and a very large vocal range. Anyone who has been to a Green Day gig, will know the power of Billies lungs and vocals, With him being able to hold a note for 2-3minutes. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is somewhat better and worse than previous albums. Like some of the newer albums, it's lost a bit of the punk feel we felt from 1039/smooth. I don't think I could successfully compare Green Day to any other band. I read another review and someone compared Green Day to turning into Simple Plan. These to bands are in noway the same, nor turning into them. I dont think I could say which song I liked the best, but "When September Ends," "jesus Of Suburbia" and "st Jimmy" are definately very well thought out songs. I love every aspect of this album, great musical talent mixed with great lyrics and great vocals. As I mentioned above the down side has to be lack of lengthy guitar solos, however we do hear a few good ones through-out the album. If it was lost/stolen, I would 100% buy it again. // 9

American Idiot Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: As usual Green Day flat out rocks. I was impressed by how this cd differed from the others. I did like how this whole cd kind of went along with a story. I did prefer their older CD's such as Dookie or Insomniac but this one was worth buying. I do remember the good old days where it seemed like they weren't just in it for the money but it looked like they had fun with it. I was disappointed with the radio stations, TV, stores, the library, no matter where you go you can not escape Green Day. American Idiot, Holiday, Blvd. Of Broken Dreams, Sure they all started out as good songs but after hearing them for the 50-billionth time it gets a little annoying. I would very much appreciate if they played either other songs off American Idiot or played music from their older CD's. // 10

Lyrics: I enjoyed the lyrics pretty much over all. I like how it followed along with a story (as seen above) I was a little disappointed with Blvd. Of Broken Dreams because I could have cut that song in half the time it took to do it. I did like the solo at the end. I bet there is an angry mob of Green Day fans behind me that are going to kill me the moment I turn around. Billie Joe's voice is amazing because if you go to a concert or see a live performance over TV you can't tell much difference between his voice live and his voice on the CD. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm not going to try to compare this to anything else. I am not quite sure how if they let out another album how it will compare or match this one but Green Day hasn't ever failed to amaze me. I like prettey much everything about the album except the fact they overplay the songs on the radio. If it were stolen or lost I would buy it again as long as it isn't so expensive. // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Lets just start off by saying, Greenday have not sold out. People wining on that Greenday have sold out just annoys me. It seems nobody has a clear idea of what selling out is anymore, its easy! Its when a band will deliberatly change theyre sound of music to appeal commercially to more people and therefore make more money. Anybody who knows anything about this album will know that Greenday took a huge risk when writing this album, they had no idea if it would be another Dookie or just another Warning (personally not a big fan of that album). And yes this is an anti-Bush album, which now is getting very dull I will admit that, but its not like Greenday saw everyone else doing it and thought "hey that would be a good idea," no! Nobody was saying anything about politics before American Idiot, so yes you could blame Greenday for starting the Anti-Bush movemnet, but not for jumping onto it. Plus Greenday never claim to be "punk" they claim to be "punk-rock" which now is pretty much a genre they have created for themselves. Billie has really applied himself to this album, creating a really good story with good songs to acompany it. Songs which now move away from the 3 chord punk-rock he used to play and now have a more of a depth about it, so much so that they have had to bring long time 2nd guitarist, Jason White, to the front of the band. // 9

Lyrics: Just brilliant. Not much ore you can say. The way each song flows into the other using unique lyrical images just allows the album to play on your cd player for days without getting tiring. The only song that sone might say stops the flow is "Wake Me Up When September Ends" which doesn't really follw the story at all. but it does show us where billie gets all his pain from to help him write an album like this. It's easy to take the feeling of Billie singing bout his dead dad and transfer it into any of his songs and see how it all fits together. // 10

Overall Impression: This album will set the bench mark for anybody trying to enter this genre, plain and simple. Songs of such brilliance like "Wake Me Up When Semptember Ends" and "Jesus Of Surburbia" only seem to come around every few years, the fact that on this album there are about 9 or 10 of the same standard is just extrodinary! I already have a spare copy so if my original gets stolen I will still have all the listening pleasure I want! // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: Zuka, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Green Day uses simple chord progression in 99% of it's songs on the American idiot album. There is no problem to that, Jimi Hendrix wrote "Manic Depression" using simple scales. Well, I bought this album at HMV and prayed to god that this album wouldn't crap out with it's Anti-bush spearhead. American Idiot (the song) was alright, Holiday wasn't so bad. But all the others. Seriously, like Jesus Of Suburbia is something special. 9 minutes, wow, longest in history. Give me a break. And Wake Me Up When September Ends. It's like a new testament to some people. It's really nothing great. // 5

Lyrics: The lyrics sucked. Green Day just isn't meant for these pop-operas. Boulevard Of Broken Dreams, Billy Joe apparently has some problem. Like what? Be more specific. The lyrics did, however, fit well with the songs. They sucked. Billy Joe can have a unique and distinguishable voice when he wants to. Put he is sliding slowly (and in some ways flying) towards Good Charlotte and Simple plan. I could have come up with these lyrics with a hangover, an out of control plane, and a few pads of paper. "One nation controlled by the media." You are the media, you dumass. People have got to look more closely at what Green Day is getting away with. // 5

Overall Impression: This in no way should be called a Green Day album. What happened to such great albums such as "Dookie" and "Warning," with songs that would give you adrenaline, such as "Longview" and "Hitchin A Ride." No one really cared if it was about masterbation or taking a shit, it was a song that never got old. Hell, I still listen to Green Day's older albums. American Idiot has given me some laughs though. Several occations on the transit where two girls sitting near me go "Oh, Billy is so hot. But their music is pretty good. I know! Only their first album too!" Jeez. Also "That's not how the solo goes! I don't care about friggin en-harmonic notes, it has to be up here! That's how Billy did it!" Well, a warning to whoever somehow hasn't heard or bought this album. Don't. Especially to old Green Day fans. We are the true people able to call ourselves fans. We recognize how Green Day is turning from punk rock to emo. Let me clear something up with emo. Emo is short for Emotive hardcore, a style of music. That style invented several "emo" hairstyles which closeley resembled Goths on a lighter scale. Thus, everyone forgot about "emotive hardcore" and suddenly "emo" had a new definition of its own. Slitting wrists was thrown into the mix. This is the new brand for Green Day. And for some reason (mainstreamers) billions of people like it. Hell, it won't be long until poverty-stricken Africans are jumping to the music. Oh, looks like Green Day forgot to mention them. Same lyrics and songs, yet about the problems in Africa? No one would like them. A simple change. Green Day invented this album solely for making money, and to show off his Les Paul. // 5

American Idiot Reviewed by: chris_4, on november 12, 2012

Sound: For the sound of this album I was pretty disapointed for one main reason and that was that the it wasnt really something new for me. For me it was just one more band that put a couple of power chords together and made an album. Those kind of bands are normally the less talented bands. Talented bands use more complex chords and normally include solos bands like AC/DC where almost every song had a solo in it those were the talented bands. // 6

Lyrics: The only thing I really liked about this album was there lyrics and greenday normally has good lyrics. They didn't normally have any easy rhymes most of them where very well put together. On the other hand there lyrics are just like a lot of the other bands out there right now its all around a fad. That fad is problems wiiht the governement every band right now seems to be making songs about the government and that there idiots. Well I say if uou care that much why don't you follow in the "terminator's" foot steps and run for governer of some city. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression for this album was pretty bad my friends had told me that this album was supposed to be really good but it was actully pretty bad. If you are reading this letter and are a fan of Green Day you're probably mad as hell about what I'm saying but I'm just telling you the cold hard truth that Green Day is just one more none talented band that is sticking with what is easy powerchords there also just following whats supposedly in at the moment. // 6

American Idiot Reviewed by: Bored_2_Death, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Most people say green day got better. I think they got worse. A lot worse. Their music is completely different than their older albums. There's a lot more pop sound to the music than punk. They even started using guitar tremelo effects. I was very disappointed with some of the songs in this album. Some were good with good guitar parts like Boulevard Of Broken Dreams and Wake Me Up When September Ends. The rest are either okay or are full of shit. The bass was so much better in their older albums. You could hear it easier. In this album you could barely hear it and it ticks me off. // 4

Lyrics: The only thing I think improved was Billie Joe's voice. It has a much more bass tone to it compared to albums like Kerplunk and Dookie. His voice sounds so so awesome. I like the lyrics but they really really suck compared to older albums. Their older albums are original ones that people can relate to and can make people think about the lyrics. The new ones don't but just tell a story. I like how Billie Joe wrote the entire album about the Jesus of Suburbia but I'd prefer their older lyrics. // 7

Overall Impression: American idiot was kinda disappointing and impressive at the same time. The music and lyrics in their older songs are better compared to their new stuff. The only improvement I saw was in Billie Joe's voice. My favorite songs are Boulevard Of Broken Dreams and Wake Me UP When September Ends. The lyrics from their older songs are reflected in those songs. If it was lost I'd but it again but maybe not because I have all of the songs on iTunes. // 9

American Idiot Reviewed by: jesusjimmy, on november 12, 2012

Sound: This album is one of the bands greatest. It really got their career going again. It just sounds so brilliant. Not the most original, but why change something that works perfectly? I have to say, some of the solos are amazing, others aren't but no album is perfect. Every song tells part of the story of two guys that I think are brothers brothers (Jesus Of Suburbia and St. Jimmy). I almost think it could become a film. Wouldn't that be cool, an album to film conversion, loving that idea. The styles varry quite a bit. I mean, one minuite your chilling to Are We The Waiting, then the next, your headbanging to St. Jimmy, then your back down for Give Me Novacaine. Few songs later, you realise why alot of people hate Bush in Wake Me Up When September Ends. American Idiot is a step forward in Green Day's career, music and culture. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing as well. Again, not the best I've heard from Green Day, but still amazing. The best lyrics have to be Jesus of Suburbia. Think about it, "I'm the son of rage and love. The Jesus of Suburbia". Billie Joe, I salute you. Very imaginative lyrics and (I know your probably fed up of me by now but still) turning an album into a story is pure genious. Hugely imaginative lyrics. I know some people don't like this album because it went political with American Idiot and Wake Me Up When September Ends, but I say it going political is a way of bringing punk back to life! NOw don't say you didn't like the era of punk music. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great album, but not as good as Warning or Nimrod. Better than Insomniac, about as good as Dookie or Shenanigans. I love the way it tells a story. Last time I saw that waas in The Streets, A Grand Don't Come For Free. The best songs on this album are Jesus of Suburbia and Homecoming. To keep somebody listening and interested for 10 minuits is some feat and Green Day have done this easily. There isn't much to hate about this album at all except the delay between Shenanigans and American Idiot. If this was stolen, I would hunt down the theif and kill them, or buy a new copy, either way. // 9

American Idiot Reviewed by: boyan89, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Green Day? Do they rock my sox or do they suck. Well the answer they rock and I will give some reasons as to explain this. The guitars on this album are amazing and I cant believe people say that they suck, this album has amazing guitar solos in songs like Wake Me Up When September Ends, Whatsername, Holiday, Boulevard Of Broken Dreams and a some more songs it is mindblowing. The bass on this album is terrific sure it isnt as great as their past albums but it is still insanely amazing. The drums are mainly the very strong point on this album Tre has really improved on his drumming skills and I cannot wait to hear some more of his insane drumming on the next record. Keep up the good work Green Day and you will earn #1 on the charts just like with AI. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are very political and also very emotional as Billie Joe said he has put more emotion in this album than any album ever made by Green Day. Well Billie this time you certainly made a good album with amazing lyrics and that FU message to George Bush I am amazed. Keep writing songs like these and you will be on the chartts for a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: The overally impression of this album was just mindblowing and incredible. No this album cannot compare to any other albums because Green Day tried something new and incredible and their new stuff is the bomb I tell you. I love everything about this album and I love how it is kind of telling a story with JOS, St Jimmy and Whatsername it is pretty cool and very intelligent. I also hate nothing about this album and if you hardcore Green Day fans hate this album and you are not a fan of it then you aernt really hardcore Green Day fans now are you. Of course I would buy this album again it is just completely intelligent and I have not heard anything like it so defenite must have. // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: kandy2314, on november 12, 2012

Sound: I think Green Day did a great job on this CD. 2 songs sound the same but they a great job on the other songs sounding different from each other. They didn't do very much lead stuff in their music but they did a great job mixing it and making the CD sound great! They definately have a variety this time in their style. Billy (singer) definately has an originallity in his voice. They did a very good job in this CD. Each song definately has a good rhythm and tone to it. // 10

Lyrics: They definately give their own opinion with their views and that's great. Some of it I don't necessarily agree with, but all together they did a good job. Like I said Billy has an originallity with his voice. It's awesome that Green Day has been together so long and still make awesome music. Some repeats with words but overall it sounds great! // 8

Overall Impression: This CD doesn't sound as much as their older stuff but their adjustment to the demand of tone in music is awesome. I think they did a really good job. They have a couple songs that is similar to their older albums but also some that is more pop instead of punkish. It's half and half. I really like how they make long songs and the beat is so awesome in each one of them. It all just matches very well, It has a range in tone, not all songs sound the same it's really great. I don't really like how they made a lot of power chords in the music, no lead stuff but it still sounds awesome! If I lost the CD I would definately get another one the second I couldn't find it. // 9

American Idiot Reviewed by: try_to_hit_me, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Green Day has always been one of my favorite groups, I love the way they play the guitars. This has been the bestest album they have done so far. Some people this album was not so good, because some songs have to be with a lot of polictics like american idiot or holiday. I think they did that on that way, because they don't like war. Why should we fight for politics? that's dumb. I enjoy this album day and night so people hear this album, because it will rock your mind! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, well haha I think they are pretty good. On even tho it's really confusing or hard to hear what he is saying with all that loud guitar. But if you really hear what they are saying on some songs it's just all hate, other songs a lot of sadness, I think this are the feelings they have pass through they whole life. Something really hard, and they made a good effort, but they also have some politics (I don't know really why). // 9

Overall Impression: This album doesn't compare to others, "This is the best we have done so far." Billie said. Even tho there are some rumors that american idiot was invented by a guy who declared that he made this song over 1994 (something like that). I recomend to people to hear American idiot, Wake me up when september ends, boulevard of bronken dreams, and Jesus Of Suburbia. The most interesting thing I founded on this album is the guitars, there's a lot of good sounds with a lot of distortion but on a special way that touches your heart and makes you go wild, but the lyrics talk a lot about their lives, you can get to know their feelings, experiences, etc. If someone steals it from me, I would beat him to death, naw joking. I would probably go the next day to a music shop to buy the disc because I think it's really a good album an deserve the best. // 9

American Idiot Reviewed by: Shredder Guitar, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Where to start? The sound of this album is nowhere near as vibrant and expressive as Green Day's previous albums. They once sang of young love, living the punk lifestyle, having grudges against the people who harmed you, you name it. Now their music is filled with mindless crying lyrics that seem as if they were written by a fourth grader. I will give Green Day props for the inclusion of some decent easy riffs that keep the pace of the song, and an attempt to include some solos. The inclusion of Mike Dirnt and Tre Cool on the song Homecoming is a nice touch as well, but overall, Green Day have matured, and I think for the worst. // 6

Lyrics: When one listens to a few songs off of Dookie, or even Green Day's awesome first album, 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours, you're immersed into a punk lifestyle filled with love, hate, excitement, and countless other emotions. In American Idiot, however, all this seems to have been tossed out the window and run over by trampling buffalo. Gone are the aforementioned emotions, and they are replaced simply with sadness, a bitter excuse of love, and not much else. The only real songs that I believe stick close to Green Day's roots are the title track, American Idiot, and Saint Jimmy. Jesus of Suburbia and Homecoming are nice 9 minute ballads which really make this album feel like what it attempts to be: a concept album. Although the idea seemed incredible for a punk band to do, the change of emotions and style ultimately made this section of the album a so-so rating. // 7

Overall Impression: Well, this wasn't what I really was expecting from one of my favorite bands that I had been listening to since Dookie came out. What I expected was screaming riffs, exciting lyrics, and an overall blast to listen to. This album ultimately failed on all those parts to me. Although the album started off nicely, with a fast paced, "F--k You!" kind of song, the rest felt ultimately hurried and unaccomplished. Many would argue and say "This is their finest album." A good album doesn't rely on piles of awards and grammies, people. If you want to hear the real Green Day, go listen to some Kerplunk, or maybe even Dookie. Please don't judge them for this heap of garbage, but what they really used to be: a punk band with one motive, and that is to entertain, not make money. // 8

American Idiot Reviewed by: domthebomb90, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Green Day's sound can be abbreviated with just one word: sucks. The ill-fated attempt of a decent trio ultimately fails with poor-sounding guitar solos from Billy Joe. The bassist plays the most basic of lines and would sound a hell of a lot better if he attempted to "advance" his talent for the CD. The drummer is decent, but nowhere near other punk/pop band drummers like former Blink drummer Travis Barker. // 2

Lyrics: Again, he can try as hard as he wants to, but the end-result is either extremeley cheesy or just plain dumbfounding. The singing skills of Billy reminds me somewhat of a screeching monkey. He can sing as many different styles he wants, in the end, he's just a screeching monkey. Please take some lessons. // 1

Overall Impression: After the great reviews I heard about this "killer" album, I now question the reliability of fellow classmates who called this album "One Of The Greatest Ever". This is definitely nowehere near greatness. Hell, if it were my choice, I'd have all copies of this CD shipped off the earth and into space just so that I don't have to listen to this crap anymore. I really consider some "Green Day" fans to take a listen to some real great music in Pink Floyd, The Beatles, and Eric Clapton for some great guitar licks and incredible song-writing, as this album desperately lacks both. // 1

American Idiot Reviewed by: GiR 2.0, on november 12, 2012

Sound: The sound, to me personally, is slightly different from what you'd get from 1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours. Green Day kinda went alternative in this album because it feels harder. The singing is different because nowadays, we get Billie Joe's older voice, alternate to back in albums like Dookie, Insomniac, where we got a somewhat younger voice. However, seeing this being the very first album I bought, I am quite impressed with how much Green Day has grown in sound. // 9

Lyrics: The overall story of the lyrics maintains a storyline about the Jesus of Suburbia (who we'll call JoB), who ventures through the world trying to find a meaning in his life. American Idiot discribes his cry for attention, him going to the city, his transformation into St. Jimmy, the rise and fall of his love with Whatsername. The lyrics are quite intelligent (although they put a lot of emphasis on drugs for some reason) and tell the story very nicely. The only problem I had with the album is the fact that it has the Parental Advisory sticker because of the lyrics. As for why, it seems that Green Day will always curse on their albums. Overall, the lyrics deserve a (as for the singer's skills, it's quite impressive because he knows when to be loud). // 10

Overall Impression: The album really compares to the older albums. It shows that Green Day is growing up and the fact that they aren't teenagers anymore. The most impressive songs from the album would have to be "American Idiot", "Holiday/Boulevard Of Broken Dreams", "St. Jimmy", "Whatsername", "She's A Rebel" and my personal favorite "Wake Me Up When September Ends." I like the album because it was the album that introduced me to what (in my book) is the greatest band I have ever listened to. I don't like it because after I heard this, I heard 1, 039, Dookie, Insomniac, Internation Superhits and then I found that the older stuff somehow has a more punk sound while in American Idiot, Green Day kinda departed into the alternative genre. If it were stolen, I would buy it again, but thankfully I have all the songs saved on my iPod. But if someone steals my iPod, then vengeance will be mine! // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: tbarrettl, on november 12, 2012

Sound: The first impression I took when I decided not to categorize this as Greed Day work. I took this for a pop-rock album. This has a whole theme about somebody who changes his Underground name from Jesus to St. Jimmy or something of the sort (I don't really care about this fictional character. The style in a fair way is different from anything they have done which some may like and others (fans) will hate with anything. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are certainly Political in the Title track and others but reflects on the theme about the characters that probably relate to Armstrong's low point in his life. The lyrics in Wake me up when September ends are very good at telling what they mean. It seems that Homecoming for how good it can be flip-flops here and there with different singers and the that whiny "Nobody Likes You" gets me sick. Overall the lyrics are alright but Armstrong can sing better than your average pop-punk singer. // 8

Overall Impression: I think that Green Day are in a transformation phase from pop-punk to real pop-rock that started at about Nimrod. The work here may not be appreciated but the changing of their sound could end up real good. This sounds little like their oldest pure power chord poppy-punk sound of Insomniac and Dookie but really shows improvement in some sort of way. I think the most impressive song is St. Jimmy because it basically has a little bit of everything on the album in one song. I would buy it again but it isn't the best album out there. // 9

American Idiot Reviewed by: livinginmisery, on november 12, 2012

Sound: First off, if there was anyone that was more qualified than me to write this review, even though it's a little late, I'd like to meet him (or her). Green Day puts out what I think is the greatest album of all time. However, I do think it has it's faults (I mean, nobody's perfect, right). The sound is definitely different from their other albums. I like the sound, but I also think that they have lost a lot of fans from going away from their traditional sound. I'd like them to do more songs that sound like Misery, but I've never heard a song that was like Misery. I give you guys a 9.5, although it will only register as a 9. // 9

Lyrics: As far as the lyrics go, I don't think I can find a fault. I love every word, it's everything that I believe. Wait, I do find a fault. I didn't like the super long songs, I was kinda burnt out on them by the 8th minute. At least they changed the sound of the song a couple times throughout, and for that I can still give them a 10. Next time, though, make sure you keep the songs under 7 mintues. Because we all know that you "Don't wanna be an American idiot." // 10

Overall Impression: As an overall album, the best, by far. When I feel sad or depressed, usually because of a girl, this is the album I listen to. First, American Idiot comes on, and I write off the person I'm mad at as just an idiot. Then, Jesus Of Suburbia comes on, and I decide I just wanna f--k the world (am I allowed to swear on these things? If not, I'm sorry. I'll change it next time). Then, Holiday comes on, and I feel like just getting in my car and leaving the rat's nest I call a town. Next, Boulevard of Broken Dreams comes on, and I feel like killing myself, I feel like nobody will ever love me. Fifth, Are We the Waiting comes on, and I decide to wait on killing myself until I can come up with a better reason. After that, St. Jimmy comes on, and I get out my guitar out and start rockin out with it. Then, Give Me Novacaine comes on, and I have a couple shots. Eighth, She's A Rebel comes on, and it reminds me how much I hate my ex. Next, Extraordinary Girl comes on, and I remember how much I loved her. Tenth, Letterbomb comes on, and I'm reminded of how much I hate my town. Next, Wake Me Up When September Ends comes on, and I begin to wish I was back with my girl. Twelfth, Homecoming comes on, and I remember that home is always better than being alone. And finally, what'sername comes on, and I totally forget I was sad over a girl. That's how I get over breakups. For that, I give this record a 12, even though it'll only say 10. // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: Daniel Pearce, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Green Day have produced many albums now (infact I think 10) but most people would say this one was the best. The album was a Grammy Winner - Rock album of the year ('04). The album has 13 songs of which all of them have hundreds of chords in them. They don't seem to use a range. Sometimes it gets a bit boring if it's just chords all through the album but it depends how you use them. Like if they had main riffs (that were notes instead of big chords, more solos and things. I have to say - I think the drummer is world class. I think they need a bit more rythem and creativity in the songs, you know like Stevie Wonder or Led Zeppelin. They still do excellent riffs. If they had another guitarist it'd make an impact. But still a face-paced confident sound to it all. // 8

Lyrics: In American Idiot the lyrics are talking more about Polotics and war, religion, saints and other things. It's all got a bit serious but they sortov make a joke out of things in their lyrics. The singer needs to clear his throwt, he sounds too rocky. But he looks cool with his hair and style, and he puts make-up on doesn't he? Anyway, the lyrics go well with the music and beat. He says them quite fast somtimes so you there's that booklet in the CD case with all the lyrics, every word seems to be Polotical. I think that's good for a few songs but not really for the whole album. They swear a few times to show their point but what's the point of taking the, out of America??? Your own country. // 10

Overall Impression: There's not really a band like them this rocky at this time. God, they must get tired on stage. They have more fans than any other band/artist, litrally half the US like them. They play true rock but as I say I think they need more variety.The most impressive songs are 'American Idiot', 'Holiday', 'Boulevard Of Broken Dreams' and finally 'Wake Me Up When September Ends'.I love that their quite unique and are a great live band and their from the USA! Let me just point out that they make amazing videos. If it were stolen I'd might buy it but I think there's better albums out there: the material is great awesome rock band, one of America's number one at the moment. // 9

American Idiot Reviewed by: pinkxfloydx123, on november 12, 2012

Sound: This recent album by Green Day I beleive is not one of there greatest albums. it's so different from there other albums, and they kinda sound emo in it. There hits "Holiday", "Boulavard of Broken Dreams", and "American Idiot" are the only songs on this album worth listening to. They are also the songs that sound like songs from there previous albums (hint, hint Green Day). The other songs on this are either short and stupid or long and boring. "Jesus of Suberbia" is just a bunch of really short songs with like 5-7 lines of lyrics, pushed together to make a single song. "Homecoming" was even worse and was as long. Some people could make a case that "Wake Me Up When September Ends" was a good song but I found it kind of boring. // 7

Lyrics: Green Day took a page out of "The Who" and started using us against them lyrics, or they used "Rage Against the Machine" and used anti-American lyrics. "American Idiot" is a prime example. The lyrics were all pretty good except in "We are the Waiting" which basically used the same line over and over and over again. We get it, we are the waiting, no need to say it a billion times. Billie Joe Armstrong's singing skills are not being questioned here, what is being questioned is what he is singing. He is an amazing singer and has a very distinguished voice. // 7

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this album is that if someone were to steal this album I would probably let it go unless I saw it on sale. It was of course good for all modern punk fans but to real Green Day this was kind of corny and pretty annoying. This album got so much air time when it came out that I got sick of it very quickly then I got the album and stopped listening to it, after a very short time. // 7

American Idiot Reviewed by: punktherock001, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Okay, first of all, Green Day is and will always be my favorite band. I don't care what anyone says they are awesome. For a pop-punk band they are great, and I really don't like pop-punk. The only problem is that American Idiot made me want to throw my stereo out the window. It wasn't the fact that it was a bad CD (it is really good), it was just that I couldn't beleive it was a Green Day CD. It just didn't have the feel of a Green Day CD. The whole idea of it being a big rock opera thing was cool, but it just wasn't greenday. The main problem was the music. Some of the songs (Boulevard Of Broken Dreams, Are We the Waiting, Wake Me Up When September Ends, and Whatsername) were just so not greenday. I think maybe if Hellogoodbye had done them then I would have no problem, because I expect crap from them. But I expected a lot more from Green Day. But there are songs on it like St. Jimmy and Jesus Of Suburbia which were great. But only 1/3 of the songs are really good. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics of the CD were really good. They for the most part did seem like there was a little greenday left in them. But again the songs like Wake Me up When September Ends (its about his dad dying, so it would be rude to say it's stupid) but I just don't think that it belonged on this CD. The lyrics are really emotional too. It's not the angry, sarcastic emotion on early CDs. it's the sad and sorry emotion. But then there are songs like American Idiot and Holdiay, where the lyrics are actually really good and punk(ish). // 8

Overall Impression: I think that overall the albulm is worth buying if you are a Green Day fan like me. If not then don't bother even looking at it. I would say that you should download American Idiot, Holdiay, Letterbomb, Jesus of Suburbia and St. Jimmy though (legally of course). If your interested in hearing greenday, definitly buy Dookie or Insomniac. I really did like the good songs but I hate the dumb songs. Some people might be into some of there bad songs, I like all of the songs, but I was disapointed that they were on a Green Day album. // 7

American Idiot Reviewed by: bloodchair, on november 12, 2012

Sound: The drums are excellent, Tre'cool is truely a great drummer, the drums are often a highlight of the songs. Billie Joe Armstrong is a good guitarist, not great though. I've took the time to learn some Green Day and their songs just aren't a challenge. Nor are they that interesting, not the songs I'd play to have fun, their just power chords all the way through and maybe a simple solo. But simple as the solo's are, they are well written. And of course can't forget the bassist, Mike Dirnt. He is a good bassist and a positive contribution to the music, listen to his bass playing at the start of "St. Jimmy". // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are well written, they rhyme, everything. Pretty good if you ask me, and like always they go excellently with the music. Still don't think Billie Joe Armstrong's a good singer, listen to "Wake Me Up When September Ends". In that song he sings well as well as playing a guitar part that isn't as easy as it sounds and goes well with the lyrics. Through the album there are no awkward moments in the singing, it just all fits well. // 8

Overall Impression: Green Day are generally good, and this album is one of their best but I just don't like some of the songs, some I simply find boring like "Are We Waiting", "Whatsername" and "Extraordinary Girl". There are some good ones though, like "American Idiot", "Holiday," their the main two that come to mind. If your a lover of metal and the heavier stuff, don't waste your time buying this album. Green Day are a light sort of punk rock, the least heaviest rock band I know. And while the lyrics fit well with the guitar, it could never match the ultimate guitar melodies and lyrics of none other than "My Chemical Romance", who do have some heavier songs. My opinion, is buy some "My Chemical Romance". But this album isn't bad, but if it was stolen, I wouldn't be in any sort of rush to get it back, not at all. // 5

American Idiot Reviewed by: pandaman3000, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Well, if Dookie was Green Day at their best, then history may have repeated itself. Just possibly one of the best punk/rock albums to have been released. It's a standard Green Day album: a bit pop-like, a lot of swearing, a few government issues tackled. When listening to the album, you feel grabbed by the fact that, yes, it's Green Day and yes, it's finally original enough to say that this was a landmark for the history of punk/rock. With a terrible world we live in, anything could be inspiring enough to cause an outburst as strong as this. Yes, it's a great outer shell, but I feel that the sequel will be the best sequel the world will see. Overall, Green Day's American Idiot is slightly more story bound than any other album they've released. // 9

Lyrics: Billie Joe, stepping up to the mic for the ninth time in 15 years. The lyrics in the song Homecoming really show what the the band members think about things. The line that refers to jesus filling paper work: "He'd rather be doing something else now, like cigarettes and coffee with the underbelly". It's incredible that they can get away with that, never mind the often references to the subliminal messages the government are sending. Although the lyrics have meanings, that means nothing. When you hear those opening chords to Letterbomb, you get lost in the moment and wish it would never end. But when it does, you simply play it again and again. Not many songs can drag people into seeing something that's true, but unspoken of; however Geen Day certainly opened my eyes to the differences to now and say 30 years ago. Yes, the lyrics ARE catchy, but thers a deeper inner meaning to all of this. // 10

Overall Impression: To me, this album is the best thing to leave america(in the punk rock region of music). By far their best album to date, I just can't wait for the sequel. My favourite song on this album is Letterbomb. It was the first of the album I'd heard and I knew that I had to buy that album. I recommend this to any Green Day fans and any non Green Day fans. // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: SaiNt adEL #13, on november 12, 2012

Sound: The sound on this album is probably the most punk rock that Green Day has done. By that, I mean it has the punk rock sound, not the punk rock lyrics and meaning ("American Idiot" is the exception for the previous sentence). The song I find the best on this album, is definately the famous "American Idiot". It has the most punk rock twist, and totally crashes on Bush! I've got to agree, the sound for this album is the best Green Day has done! // 10

Lyrics: That distinct way that Billie Joe sings definately adds to this album. And his lyrics are wonderful! This god of punk rock manages to use huge, complex words (I.e. subliminal, information, hysteria, armageddon, etc.) in a way that everyone can understand them! Plus he adds a little bit of an emo twist that would make even the most shallow man cry. No one but Mr. Armstrong would've thought to use analogies such as: "and she's holding on my heart like a hand grenade", "another protestor has crossed the line, to find that the money's on the other side", etc. In my opinion, the songs that can stand up to these lyrics are "Longview", "Good Riddance", and "Minority" (all from "International Superhits"). // 9

Overall Impression: I have to say, few can pull off punk rock quite like Green Day. If you do decide to try this CD, make sure to listen to these songs first: "American Idiot" (#1), "Holiday" (#3), "St. Jimmy" (#6), "Jesus of Suburbia" (#2), and "When September Ends" (#11). Those five songs are the best first impression that "American Idiot" can give. If my copy were ever stolen or lost, no worries. I already own 2 other copies! // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: hawkdude9, on november 12, 2012

Sound: I have listened to green day since I was 10. the green day sound has always been something that is intriguing and mercilessly copied, but this sound takes a more modern twist, with elements of modern alternative and even emo (goddamn, what's with all the motherf--kin eyeliner? ) possibly to appeal to a more modern audience. The album was originally called cigarettes and valentines, and more like their early work (think warning and nimrod), but somebody broke into the studio and stole the master tapes to the recordings, and they were back at square one. The musical styles on this album vary from modern alternative to ballads to even arabic-influenced jams. It is definitely their most ambitious work yet, and that's not always a good thing. some tracks tend to sound like one another, and with the 2 nine minute songs, things tend to get out of hand quickly. // 7

Lyrics: Billie joe has lost something in his voice. whether he is just getting old or it is the studio making him sound like that is debatable, but nevertheless, he just sounds a lot different from the last album (warning). You know how everybody has labeled them as "grown up"? this is true, sadly. the lyrics definitely have a sense of adultness in them, which loses some of green day's signature sound. Overall his voice is good, but there is just something missing in it. // 7

Overall Impression: This is not the album to buy if you want to get into green day. you should buy dookie or kerplunk first if you want to listen to them. now I will review each song individually. 01.American Idiot: the song opens with a quick opening guitar riff from billie joe, and bursts into the bass heavy chorus lick. It goes into the catchy verse with billie singing in between the instrument parts, and goes into an instantly hooky chorus. the song is pretty short lived though, and doesn't really grab your attention. basically the whole song is bashing bush. If this is the song they named the album after, I questioned buying it //7 02.Jesus of Suburbia: the albums first 9 minute song. It's basically 5 short songs compressed into one track to not take up to much space on the album. "Jesus of suburbia" is at a slower tempo with simple chords and lyrics and ends with many drum fills and a fade out ending. the most reminiscent song of old green day. City of the Damned is a slower turn to quieter keyboard and bass verses, with a catchy gang vocal chorus. it introduces the listener to the new sound the album presents. it then breaks into the very up-tempo "I Don't Care" which is very fast and rebellious. with the bass/vocal lines and a yelling chorus. it fades out into "Dearly Beloved" which is a very soft, harmonious song, with "oohs" in the background. it then goes into the upbeat "tales of another broken home" with the bass intro and rolling guitar licks. it ends with a soft piano bridge, then with loud gang vocals. overall a good song. worth a listen //9 03.Holiday: another gem from the album. starts with the harmonic guitar chords intro with a "say, hey!" sort of vocal line reminiscent of the ska influenced warning, but then breaks into a very hooky guitar line. the chorus is very loud and catchy. the bridge is great for gang vocals with just the bass line going and billie's monologue. an overall good song //8 04.Boulevard of Broken Dreams: the quiet guitar delay effect intro kicks in the song slowly with billie joe singing with a somber guitar riff after every verse. good chorus, a bit dark compared to other songs. heavy in some parts, good use of wah pedal. very uncharacteristic for green day though. //7 05.Are We the Waiting: another very slow song, with the riff repeating, just standard D and A(? ) chords picked one string at a time. The song doesn't really go anywhere, but is a good buildup to the next song. //5 06.St. Jimmy: this is a good fast song, and great to get a crowds attention. 3-chord madness is all it is, and another song reminiscent of early green day, just with more anger. another good song. //8 07.Give Me Novacaine: oh god, I'm having trouble comprehending how the same band who wrote "disappearing boy" and "burnout" wrote this. To put it quite frankly, it sucks. the song doesn't go anywhere, it's really cheesy and soft, with a cool drum beat, nonetheless. one of the most uncharacteristic songs on the album. //4 08.Extraordinary Girl: see give me novacaine for a similar review. the song starts out with bongo drums and what seems like false strings keyboard, slowly dragging into a verse that doesn't get much more exciting. the song is very arabian-sounding, and the lyrics are very weak. //4 09.She's a Rebel: a much more characteristic return to Green day on this song. the drumline is excellent, but like other songs, doesn't progress. the whole song is basically the same with a simple guitar and drum beat. //7 10.Letterbomb: the pinnacle of the album. starts out with a child singing and pick scratches in the background. the lone guitar riff then starts and the drums and everything else. the song is very depressing and strong (in a sad way) and is my personal favorite song. The lyrics are exceptionally strong. //9 11.Homecoming: the second 9 minute song, and it's considerably different and weaker than the previous one. "The death of st. jimmy" starts it out with a strong guitar riff and vocals that builds up to a gradually strong song. too bad the whole 9 minutes doesnt't't stay that way. "East 12th street" then carries it off. it's generally okay, and can be compared to "city of the damned" it then goes into "Nobody likes you" with a gang vocal chorus that is sung by bassist mike dirnt. The next song, "Rock and roll girlfriend" is sung and written by drummer tre cool and is very like him, if you have heard any other of the songs he wrote. it is very classic rock sounding. it leads into "we're coming home again" which ends the song in glory, the best way to put an end to 9 minutes of crap. //6 12.What'sername: the softie on the album. very slow progressing with clean, almost sheepish vocals. very quiet until the bridge with heavy guitars and a great seriousness from the whole band. in my opinion, the best way to end the album, and the only good way to follow up from homecoming. good guitar solo/riff towards the end of the song. //9 overall, this album disappointed me. it had so much hype, but it all came crashing down. the good doesn't outweigh the bad in the case of some albums like this. If this were stolen I would just illegally download the good songs off the album and not give a crap. // 8

American Idiot Reviewed by: babinator99, on november 12, 2012

Sound: For American Idiot, Green Day evolves beyond their pop-punk roots and delves into more complex and mature styles. The band delves into acoustic, classic rock, and piano driven ballads. Two songs are five-part mini-operas exceeding 9 minutes, which even include some solos (almost unheard of in punk). On their new album, Billie Joe's guitar tones are as diverse as his songs. Warm acoustic tones mix with full toned crunch and low echo feedback. // 9

Lyrics: American Idiot vaguely tells the story of a suburban teenager in the fictional Jingletown, USA who calls himself St. Jimmy. 01. American Idiot: straight ahead punk rock. Political themes, response to then-president George W. Bush's policies and methods. Not 100% related to the story, but great track. 10/10 02. Jesus of Suburbia: a.Jesus of Suburbia b.City of the Damned c.I Don't Care d.Dearly Beloved e.Tales From Another Broken Home From the first notes and I'm the son of rage and love we see the internal conflict that Jesus of Suburbia (JoS) has grown up with, intensified by a steady diet of Soda pop and ritalin. He quickly discovers that he is not like everyone else In a land of make belive that don't believe in me. In City of the Damned, JoS discovers that Home is where the heart is, but what a shame, because everyone's heart doesn't beat the same, it's beating out of time. In Dearly Beloved, he undergoes psychological therapy and asks if he is retarded or am I just overjoyed? and realizes that No-one really seems to care. Finally, in Tales From another Broken Home, JoS leaves home to move to the city. A lyrically rich track backed by evolving and changing music, from piano and vocal to put-your-fist-in-the-air punk chants to bass licks that seem to rip your soul into a million pieces and are thrown like confetti onto a mosh-pit. If I could, 15/10 03. Holiday: JoS gets to the city and sees the decay that has become of America. Again, on the surface an unrelated political track. Uplifting chords and angry vocals form a potent mix. The anti-Bush chanting is prevalent in the bridge: Sieg Heil to the president Gas-Man 8/10 04. Boulevard of Broken Dreams: JoS realizes how lonely the city can get. Melancholy lyrics and echoed guitar riffs provide the hangover to Holiday's party. 7/10 (lost a point for getting overplayed) 05. Are We The Waiting: this song is perfect for lighters, giant arenas, and thousands of fans singing along while swaying to the somewhat depressing beat. JoS becomes depressed and lonely and even doubts his own worth The Jesus of Suburbia is a lie. He sees that there are many disillusioned kids like him on the city streets, with no direction, screaming Are we, we are, are we are the waiting. 9/10 loses a point for being a bit of a downer 06. St. Jimmy: JoS meets St. Jimmy, a anarchist, punk rock, freedom fighter.King of the 40 theives and here to represent the needle in the vein of the establishment and the Son-of-a-B*tch and Edgar Allen Poe, St Jimmy introduces to JoS a life of lost teens and hard drugs. A straight-ahead, fast-paced mosh-pit-ready punk tune. 8/10 07. Give Me Novocaine: St Jimmy introduces JoS to heroin to which JoS quickly develops a habit. Big stadium power-ballad. The sensations overwhelming 7/10 8.She's A Rebel: Straight ahead rocker where JoS meets a girl who is holding on my heart like a hand grenade, but can never quite remember Oh, Whatsername. 8/10 09. Extraordinary Girl: after a confusing exotic-drum introduction, in comes the Middle Eastern twangy riff mixed with straight punk chords. Lyrics describe Whatsername in more detail, and her troubled relationship with JoS, which ends quickly. 7/10 10. Letterbomb: a punk riff introduces the downfall of St. Jimmy and JoS as all of their followers realize that they want more than just causing anarchy. The underbelly stacks up 10 highcollecting unemployment checks. But JoS and St. Jimmy fight on, because it's not over til you're underground. It's also revealed that St. Jimmy himself is a figment of JoS's imagination, a combination of his father's rage and mother's love 9/10 11. Wake Me Up When September Ends: again, a seemingly unrelated song. The lyrics are poignant tribute to Billie Joe's father who died when he was only 13. Acoustic guitars and bells introduce the touching song which intensifies but never loses its emotion. The song frequently brings tears to Billie Joe's, and various audience members, eyes in concert. 10/10 12. Homecoming: a.The Death of St. Jimmy b.East 12th Street c.Nobody Likes You d.Rock and Roll Girlfriend e.We're coming Home Again Chords rain down from the radio signals as we hear of the end of the one they call St. Jimmy, who committed suicide, and blew his brains out into the bay, which JoS, finally realizes as his alter ego In my own private suicide. Still, from Jesus of Suburbia til East 12th Street, and continually forever Nobody care. As we come to the end of East 12th Street, JoS realizes that he just needs for somebody get me outta here. Bassist's Mike Dirnt's lyrics on Nobody Likes You come in with military drums and bells, complimented by lonely lyrics like they're all off without you having fun. Now comes some mindless fun. Drummer Tr Cool's contribution, the lyrically mediocre but hard hitting Rock and Roll Girlfriend ends quickly and segues into We're Coming Home Again, where JoS returns home to Suburbia and goes on to have a stable life. More musically cohesive then Jesus of Suburbia, but the inclusion of Rock and Roll Girlfriend seems like a token to Cool. 8/10 13. Whatsername: the now grown up JoS thinks he sees Whatsername on the subway and remembers his time in the city with her and St. Jimmy. A good rock song, not their best. 8/10 // 10

Overall Impression: Quite simply, American Idiot is Green Day's magnum opus (at least for now). There are no bad tracks on it. The story is a bit confusing at times without a lyric sheet, but Green Day's unique pop-rock-punk approach to music reached its pinnacle on this Grammy award winning album. Possibly the best album of the 00's. // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: warpath88, on november 12, 2012

Sound: This review is the first of a series i'll be writing, looking back on the best albums of the 2000s. American Idiot was a huge milestone in Green Day's career, and also a huge step-up for the punk revival. The sound of the album was totally different from anything Green Day had done at that time. The songs were more unique, with changing rythyms and more diverse riffs and song topics. Adding solos into some of their songs didn't make them less punk, just more interesting. The album as a whole was a rock opera, the first Green Day had created, and I think they did a good job. Some songs were repetitive, but aside from that it was great. The album has been called a mess by lots of critics, but a good mess. The diversity of the album really was great for a Green Day album. The ballads were balenced perfectly with the all-out jam songs. As a guitar player, I can't give Billie much credit as an exteremely good guitarist, but he does have style. I mean, he doesn't ever overdo his solo playing on this or any other album. That's punk. // 8

Lyrics: Most of the lyrics on this album were pretty good. Billie's lyrics have always been controversial. "Wake Me Up When September Ends" and "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" have been some of my favorite songs for a long time. Billie makes you feel the lyrics, the depression and anger. Most of the other lyrics are relitively good, but not really deep or anything. The story in the songs is (taken from wikipedia):"The album's protagonist, Jesus of Suburbia, emerged out of Armstrong asking himself what sort of person the title of "American Idiot" referred to. Armstrong described the character as essentially an anti-hero, a powerless "everyman" desensitized by a "steady diet of soda pop and Ritalin". Jesus of Suburbia hates his town and those close to him, so he leaves for the city. As the album progresses the characters St. Jimmy and Whatsername are introduced. St. Jimmy is a punk rock freedom fighter. Whatsername, inspired by the Bikini Kill song "Rebel Girl", is a "Mother Revolution" figure that Armstrong described as "kind of St. Jimmy's nemesis in a lot of ways". Both characters illustrate the "rage vs. love" theme of the album, in that "you can go with the blind rebellion of self-destruction, where Saint Jimmy is. But there's a more love-driven side to that, which is following your beliefs and ethics. And that's where Jesus of Suburbia really wants to go", according to Armstrong. Near the end of the story, St. Jimmy apparently commits suicide. While the singer did not want to give away the details of the story's resolution, he said the intention is for the listener to ultimately realize that Jesus of Suburbia is really St. Jimmy, and Jimmy is "part of the main character that pretty much dies". In the album's final song, "Whatsername", Jesus of Suburbia loses his connection with Whatsername as well." Strange? Yes, it is, but it is original, and I loved it. // 8

Overall Impression: In conclusion, the album is pretty much a bunch of small songs making up one big story. The sound is something like the Ramones, the Clash, the Sex Pistols, the Offspring, and other punk bands combined with a modern rock and pop sound. One of the main reasons of the album's popularity was because "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" was such a great song, but the rest of the album definitely doesn't dissapoint you. // 9

American Idiot Reviewed by: OZLperez11, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Green Day used to sound pretty average, but once they released this album, I thought they sounded more amazing than before. I'ts much better compared to their old school punk sound like the Dookie album. One thing I like about the album is that I can actually hear the guy sing and I can make out the words rather than just hear the guitar. I like the fact that the sound they portray is more of a soft, normal paced strumming, instead of a generic, fast paced, stale kind of strumming. I'ts pretty good in general. // 9

Lyrics: I like how this album is actually an entire story broken up into different songs, but what I don't like is some of the individual lyrics. Some of the songs sound like they are rebelling against the government, and I'm not really a fan of that. It's like they want to send a threat to capitalistic countries. On the other hand, some of the songs sound nice, like "whatsername" and "boulevard of broken dreams" for example. // 7

Overall Impression: This album is definitely different from Green Day's other albums and it does have some more meaning into it, but the appearance and impression it gives could be a negative one. What I mean is that people may think this album (and the band) sound negative, but if you take the time to listen to the songs, they are not that bad. On a side note, I don't like how they compiled a bunch of musical fragments to make two really long, ten minute songs. It sounds like a bad idea. Overall, this album is quite alright. // 8

American Idiot Reviewed by: Nirvanafan60, on november 12, 2012

Sound: This is the first Green Day album I have ever owned. I bought this thinking that its going to be all the same f--k America thing but if you actually listen to it and look through the lyrics you discover a story behind it. The opening song American idiot probably the most well known song on this album is the main protest song of the album and has nothing to do with St Jimmy or the Jesus of suburbia. The majority of the songs follow the story of St Jimmy and the Jesus of suburbia starting off with the song Jesus of suburbia and ending with Homecoming(these are songs mentioning St jimmy or the Jesus of suburbia not the whole album). There are too 9 minute plus songs on here wich is a milestone it self. These guys changed there complete style in this album and moved toward pop punk/punk rock/alternative. I have to take a point off here for a lack of classy guitaring to me it really didn't show anything for me guitar wise. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are basically protest protest protest! Riot riot riot!. The lyrics suit Green Days music style as always. Billie is a great singer I love is voice and it suits to the style. His songwriting skills have been recognized here with a Grammy for best rock album of the year. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is the beginning of the "new: Green Day, the whole point of this album was to get out of the shadow of Dookie. I personally like the songs St Jimmy and Homecoming because they are all very fast riot kind of songs I'm not a big fan of are we the waiting its all a bit to repeative for me. I love this album because it is a nice easy to listen to album, the only thing I don't like is that instrument wise it wasn't that much of a break through for them but this is coming form a metalhead. If it were stolen or lost I would buy it again because I like to collect Green Day's albums and also because all in all its a great album. // 9

American Idiot Reviewed by: uhf10, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Ah yes, American idiot! This is a great all round rock opera with a catchy punk rock feel to it. It is an example of maturing green day with more complicated riffs and solos. It is one of the best rock operas I have heard besides tommy and dark side of the moon.. // 9

Lyrics: This album has a very catchy story that doesn't go to far into the characters backrounds and whole life storyies, which I liked but could have gone into a little more. The only part of the album that I really don't get is the full story, you have to listen to it over and over to actully catch on to... One more note is that it was their first album with a parental advisory warning, so it was impossible to find at local stores... // 8

Overall Impression: Again this is a great album and now I will give you a review of the songs on it 01. American Idiot- The title track and one of the catchiest songs on the album, Only an idiot (no pun intended) would not like this song.-10 02. Jesus of suburbia- Going into the life of the main character, with a catchy multipart song with great beats and music I'd give it a 9 03. Holiday- A great song and the third single of the album at track 3-9.5 04. Boulevard of broken dreams- One of the deepest songs of the album with much emotion and the demonic-souding end. 10 05. Are we the waiting- Very repetitave and has geat guitar riff. 9.5 06. St. Jimm- Ah... this song is a great song with great lyrics and really explains St. jimmy. 10 07. Give me novicane- Good acoustuc-electric guitar riff that runs into a good song.. 8.5 08. She's a rebel- Oh yes she is, with her own intro song whatsername gets an awesome intro into her. 10 09. Extraodinary Girl- Has a very odd jungle-ish intro but kicks in to an ok song. 8 10. Letterbomb- I thought this was the red hot chilli peppers when it came on, but still a great song. 8.9 11. Wake Me Up When September Ends- I remember when this song came out and I still love it to this day. 9.9 12. Homecoming- With every person singing lead at least once in this song, it turned out to be an awesome song. 10 13. Whatsername- ... This.. is definately not my favorite song on the album. It's okay but eh.. could of ended with Homecoming and it would have been better! So, This is my review of american idiot! Brandon // 10

American Idiot Reviewed by: PunkRocker9357, on november 12, 2012

Sound: This is an awesome album from an awesome band. This album is unique in that there is not a single bad song on it. However some of the songs are set at an insanely loud recording volume, so they sound like crap when played too loud, but other than that the sound is perfect. The instruments blend very well but typical of most rock songs the bass is almost inaudible. // 9

Lyrics: Billie Joe Armstrong is not known for being a good singer, and his voice is very unique, however he knows how to control it and modify it for the song. For example, on the title track, he sings in a relatively high register, with lots of anger in it, while on Wake me up when september ends, he is practically crooning. His lyrics are awesome and the story the album tells is awesome. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is awesome. There aren't any bad songs. However the song "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" is a little boring but they do it very well live. I give this 5 stars. The album is about a teenager named Jimmy, who is the Jesus of Suburbia, the savior of all the rebels in his hometown, which is identified as Jingletown, USA. He is sick of his hometown so he goes to the city. He goes around the city looking for fun but ultimately ends up alone and unsure of his place and life, and if he really is the Jesus of Suburbia, which leads him to do drugs and become St Jimmy. Then he meets a rebel girl who is known as what'sername, her real name is never revealed. Towards the end of the album St Jimmy "dies". He doesn't actually die. St Jimmy is actually the Jesus of Suburbia when he's high. When St Jimmy "dies" its Jimmy (the Jesus of Suburbia) quitting drugs. He tries to get a job in the city but it doesn't work, so he decides to get out. He makes it home, but sadly, he loses his connection with what'sername. // 10

More Green Day reviews rating latest review