Dookie Review

artist: green day date: 11/12/2012 category: compact discs
green day: Dookie
Released: Feb 1, 1994
Genre: Rock
Tones: Wry, Rowdy, Brash, Poignant, Fun, Playful, Freewheeling, Humorous, Raucous, Irreverent
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Punk Revival, Post-Grunge, Punk-Pop
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.1
 9.4
 8.7
Dookie Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: I love Green Day! I love every single song that I have heard by them. I listen to this CD almost every day and the songs still haven't gotten old. I think the album cover is the most unique of all the album covers I have ever seen. // 10

Lyrics: I give the lyrics a 10. Billie Joe is so good at writing songs! Emenius Sleepus (written by Mike) is also very good. The lyrics fit very well with the music. Billie Joe is a very talented vocalist. I like how he sings the words. This is my rating of the songs: 01. Burnout - I love this song! I love how they arranged everything in the song. 10. 02. Having A Blast - another great song. Not as good as Burnout, but still way up there! 9. 03. Chump - "I don't know you but I think I hate you," great lyrics and bass playing. 9. 04. Longview - another one of my favorites. 10. 05. Welcome To Paradise - exellent song. 10. 06. Pulling Teeth - "For now I lie around, hell that's all I can really do," 8. 07. Basket Case - perfect. Nothing I would've done different. I'm also learning to play this one. 10. 08. She - great song. 9. 09. Sassafras Roots - 7. 10. When I Come Around - more great writing. 9. 11. Coming Clean - I love this song too! "What's happening to me?" 10. 12. Emenius Sleepus - this song is very true. 8. 13. In The End - this song made me laugh! 9. 14. F.O.D. - probabaly my favorite on the whole album! 10. // 10

Overall Impression: My favorite song on the album, as I said before, is F.O.D. My 2nd favorite would probabaly be Basket Case. If I lost it, I'd definatly buy it again. If you are a Green Day fan and don't have this album. Get it! I can't find anything bad to say, so this brings my review to a closing. // 10

Dookie Reviewed by: that_a_guitar??, on november 12, 2012

Sound: This has the typical Green Day sound to it. It has all power chords meshed together to make a great sound along with fantastic bass riffs and the original sound of Billy Joe's voice to go with. Tre cool is once again fantastic on the drums although hes better on later albums like Nimrod. All in all the sound on this is great typical Green Day style. // 10

Lyrics: Billy Joe's voice adds great character to the lyrics like in "Pulling Teeth" where sings about getting beaten up by his girlfriend he puts a funny side on things I think its great. Then "She" is the lyrics are pretty simple but as always in most Green Day songs have a deep meaning. // 10

Overall Impression: this is album is one of Green Day's best it has the quality of great bass combined with great drumming great singing and amazing lyrics watch out for "When I Come Around", "She", "Pulling Teeth", "F.O.D" and "Longview". This album rates a 5 all over from me. It's one of my favourites!!! Go buy this album! // 10

Dookie Reviewed by: LAWRENCE_FA, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Well this album's something of a legend. I mean, wether you like them or hate them you pretty much have to know this album don't you? Most of Green Day's best ever songs come from here. Basketcase, When I Come Around, She et al, they all come from here. This album has probably infuenced basically every band on Scuzz today; this whole brand of Pop Punk has pretty much all stemmed from here. So what's it all about? This album has a very punky sound, doubled with america's own unique rock sound. Not disimilar to The Ramones, but there's more of a dissatisfied whine to Billie Joe's suinging than Joey Ramone, there's more of a sense of rebellion here. These are young punks, singing about being young punks. The guitaring is pretty simplistic, three/four chord stuff, but Billie Joe is a far better song writer to leave it basically at that. These really do work. They do, it's simple but my goodness is it effective. The bass work's not too shabby either, there's some wicked little riffs, not least Longview, with a famous bassline at the intro. The drumming's pretty awesome too, a lot more complicated than most punk up to this point. // 9

Lyrics: Billie Joe is a brilliant song writer, first and foremost, make no mistake. His whiney, angry lyrics deal with what I can imagine were everyday problems. 'Longview' deals with boredom, drugs and masturbation, a scene I'm sure lots of people can relate to. 'Welcome To Paradise' is a complain at the shabby town Green Day find themselves in, but also how they affectionately view it as home. I cold go on, I really could. Whilst the lyrics are god, the singing is just as good. Billie Joe has a good voice, he proves this in 'F.O.D' that he's not just a punk singer; he has a great voice and can also rock out and complain with the best of them. // 9

Overall Impression: This album will grow on you, make no mistake. At first, this may wash over you. But listen to it a couple of times and it will sink in. And you may find yourself thinking: 'That is very good.' The entire album tracks are good, the hits though are clear to spot. 'Basketcase' is perhaps the pick of the bunch, though every track is just as important and as amazing really. But iadvise you to keep an eye out for the hidden track after F.O.D, it's quite funny. // 10

Dookie Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: The sound is very original very pop - punky. The simple guitar riffs, catchy bass fills, and outstanding drums, all mix together that makes and over all innovative sound. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are extremely well written. For a guy at his age (18 I think) they are incredible. You can also hate them too. Lots of people have said there winny and stuff, but writing lyrics is very hard if you want good ones. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is much better than 1038 smoothed slappy hours. The singing is very good and altough he uses the same sound of voice throught the album it never gets boring. Mike Dirnt has done a really fabulous job on bass. No efects or anything but his fills are just great considering he plays with a pick and is hard to go from low up to your and do 5 second fill. Very good. Billie Joe has done a very good job with his 'simple, but effective three power chord songs'. Tre has done an outstanding job on drum. Just check out Basket Case, or the Welcome To Paradise. He's very good and talented for a pop punk sort of bands that you have these days. Overall extremley pleased with the album. They put a great amount of work and effort to come up with this. Definitely one of my top five albums's. Song order goes like this: Burnout 4/5 Having a blast 4/5 Chump 5/5 Longview 5/5 Welcome to paridise 5/5 Pulling teeth 5/5 Basket Case 5/5 She 5/5- brillint song Safarass roots 4/5 When I come around 5/5 Coming clean 5/5 Eminus sleepus 4/5 In the end 3.5/5 F.O.D 5/5- another brilliant song Extremely happy. Go buy it, you won't be dissapointed! // 10

Dookie Reviewed by: J_Dizzle, on november 12, 2012

Sound: This is Green Day's first album on a major label, and they wanted it to sound like their first two. I think they succeeded. They redo the song, "Welcome To Paradise" and this time it sounds a lot better. Everything about it is awesome. // 10

Lyrics: Billie Joe's voice is really distinctive, and I think it's the coolest singing voice compared to many other singers nowadays. The lyrics fit the music perfectly and have a lot of meaning. // 10

Overall Impression: This album has to be my favorite from the '90s. I can't name any highlight tracks because I like every single song. One of my favorite things about this CD is Mike's bass and how he just jumps around on it, and he doesn't really do that anymore on their recent albums. I would buy this again twice if it were stolen or lost, it's that good. // 10

Dookie Reviewed by: rob ryan, on november 12, 2012

Sound: This album in my point of view is the creme de la creme of all the LA punk albums. It's fast, punky, has a hell of a lot of attitude and most of all it rocks! Many people would probably dismiss this album as dumb and average pop-punk. That is totally wrong! The songs have catchy riffs and are way more punk than pop. None of the instruments overpower each other on the album. The bass, drums and guitar all stand out and accompany Billie Joe Armstrong's vocals brilliantly. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are way more sophisticated than the average pop-punk album. Basket Case, Welcome To Paradise, She, Longview and Pulling Teeth all have fantastic words. I mean usually on the average American pop-punk almost all of the songs are about boy meets girl, girl hates boy type of thing. But here Green Day write about a girl who beats him up, general madness and moving away from home. All good! // 10

Overall Impression: This album is a punk classic. No questions asked. If you've heard a couple of Green Day songs you like but don't know which album to buy then buy this. It's classic Green Day, and if it were stolen from somebody (who obviousley has good taste) then I would rush to the nearest music shop as soon as possible an buy the album again. // 10

Dookie Reviewed by: Magic Noden, on november 12, 2012

Sound: The album that defined punk as it is today, this album is the most original thing to happen to '90s punk, and was the turning point in Green Day's career. The sound is perfect, the whole album is different to anything else, the guitar not overpowering, but well balanced, and with such talented musicians as Billie Joe Armstrong, Mike Dirnt, and Tre Cool, you may even be tempted to mosh along to classics like Basket Case, Welcome To Paradise and Longview. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are unlike anything that came before. Instead of most punk bands, like Blink 182 and The Offspring, singing about things unhelpful, irrelevant, and often rather disgusting, Green Day sing about real life issues, real things and real people. // 10

Overall Impression: If you like defining albums like Ace Of Spades by Motorhead, or The Ramones self-titled debut, this is the album for you. It far out classes anything that came before, and indeed everything after, bar American Idiot. I am only annoyed the highest possible rating is 10. // 10

Dookie Reviewed by: UG Team, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Green Day were never a punk band and I insist on that. Op Ivy were, NoFX were (and are), and maybe even Pennywise. But GD are just better than that. Billie Joe's sense of melody and the whole song structures suggest resemblance not to their punk peers, but more to classic acts like Beatles and Beach Boys. "Dookie" was a big challenge to the band - by late 1993 Green Day has already enjoyed some success with their previous effort, "Kerplunk" (1992) and things started to get serious. Their signing to major label Reprise was considered as a treachery by independent punk community (particularly from Gilman Street scene) [which is an extremely stupid thing I might add, no offense], so Billie Joe & Co had to fight back. And they did. The recording process itself was easy, "everything was already written, all we had to do was play it" (B.J. Armstrong), and, to tell the truth, songs on the album (all except "Longview") did not differ much from "Kerplunk" material, but there was some slight pop feel to them - that little thing that made "Nevermind" a classic, instead of becoming another obscured lo-fi indie band record. Was it Rob Cavallo (producer) or Jerry Finn (mixer)? - doesn't really matter now, shouts going out to both of them. // 7

Lyrics: Apart from Billie Joe's voice, neurotic and sensible at the same time, and very, you know, honest, there's really not much to it. Songs' themes are quite obvious: growing up, wasting time, smoking weed, slacking off, hating everybody. These guys were just over 20 when writing this, so what did you expect? Nevertheless, some touch more serious subjects: "Welcome To Paradise" is a "sightseeing tour" round Oakland, CA (town where band members used to live), "When I Come Around" is actually a love song written by Billie Joe for his future wife and girlfriend at the time - Adrienne. // 7

Overall Impression: Looking back now, one can say that this record heralded a new era in mainstream rock - the era of pop-punk (again, they never were a punk band to me). Offspring's "Smash" came out two months later, followed by "Punk In Drublic", "Stranger Than Fiction", "Trashed", "About Time" and "...Out Come The Wolves". What happened next (I mean further development of the genre and the number-bands becoming a success) is an embarrassment and everybody knows that. But "Dookie" still stands out, mainly due to its honesty. Every teenager listening to this record can easily relate to its songs share the same feelings Billie Joe did. Best track is "Longview", "Basket Case" received the best video treatment though. We can argue about some less powerful cuts like "Sassafras Roots", "In The End", "Pulling Teeth", but they still get the album going smoothly. One thing can be told for sure: I'd never trade this LP for any of Blink-182 or Sum 41 records. // 8

Dookie Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: The music is not great, its certainly good but not on par with the Clash, but of course not a lot of music is. It definitely gets the job done, and fits perfecly with the singing. As far as innovations go, they are few and far between, but the music comes together perfectly. The overall sound is excellent, with riffs that will get stuck in your head, and make you wonder "how'd he come up with that." // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are Dookie's strongest point, they definitly make the whole CD fit together. Its nearly impossible to understand Billie Joe the first few times through this CD, but its a good thing, as it adds a lot of depth to the music. There are also an impossible amount of hooks laced throughout the CD, props to Billie Joe's songwriting. // 10

Overall Impression: Comparing Dookie to great CD's by artists such as the Clash, Sex Pistols, Ramones and The Velvet Underground, im not sure if Dookie is quite there, but it is definitly close, which is saying quite a bit. Now comparing it to more contemporary artists such as Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, New Found Glory, Thursday, The Starting Line and Brand New, Dookie is simply a masterpiece (I know thats going to get a lot of people mad, but its the truth). Where all of the other post-punk artists fall short, Dookie does not. There is no incessant whining about girl problems, no boring riffs, none of the things that bring newer artists down. What Green Day did is they took from the great bands (mentioned above) and tried to build on that, and it worked to great sucess for them. This is something that newer bands have not done, tried to learn from the masters of punk rock, and that is why they have failed (in my opinion). I am not going to discuss what songs I love/hate and what I love/hate about the album it self, because there is much to like and very little to hate. If you do not own Dookie, I strongly suggest that you buy it, you won't be dissapointed, and yes, if it was lost I would buy it again, but I'm going to keep it and save myself from the trouble. // 10

Dookie Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: This might be unfair because Green Day is my favorite band. Billie Joe doesn't really do much complicated guitar work, but he doesn't really have to. Power chords are just fine if you can get them to sound as good as he does (if that makes sense). He's said before that he isn't a lead guitarist, but that he's more a rhythm guitar player to back up the rest of the music. In otherwords, the guitar doesn't HAVE to be the main instrument. The bass is also fairly simple, but he throws in a lot of little variations, and some more complicated stuff ("Longview"). The drums are amazing most of the time. "Basket Case" is possibly the most insanley hard thing you'll ever hear if your interested in this kind of music. I think Billie Joe's voice is great, because you don't get tired of it and it just seems to have a constant realistic attitude. // 10

Lyrics: Green Day does even better on Nimrod, but that album is my equivalent to a material form of your God. The lyrics are very easy to relate to, and they aren't about how badly his parents treated him or how his girlfriend broke up with him. They just kinda seem like...what a normal person that isn't overly depressed and intense what write like...plus TONS of skill. He's probably my favorite songwriter. // 10

Overall Impression: One of my all time favorite albums from my favorite band. It doesn't sound the same from track to track, but they still seem like they know what they wanna do. It's uncountable steps above...I'd say ALL current music. There really aren't any stand-out songs because the whole album is great...except for the last track, F.O.D. (it stands for "f*** off and die", if you didn't already get that). It goes through 2 verses and 2 choruses only being Billie Joe (playing solo) playing some quiet power chords, but the lyrics are probably the bes on the album...then he stums a few more times without singing then BOOM. he hits the O.D. pedal, the rest of the band starts playing, Mike and Billie both start singing. The lyrics at this point are "you just a ****/I can't explain it cause I think you suck/I'm taking pride/ I'm telling you to **** off and die", which usually would not make you feel like screaming it at the top of you lungs, but they just get this energy that doesn't go away. It's not angry...it's not sad...it's more like..."FREEDOM!!!" it's great. If I lost this album I would buy two of them, so if I lost one I would still have another left (hahaha). Whoa. I didn't say "Punk" once did I? But yeah, I call them punk. // 10

Dookie Reviewed by: dookie_86, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Dookie...11 million copies sold..what can you say? It's just an amazing album. Every damn song I like on it and from Green Day's previous records (1030 and Kerplunk), Dookie was a large improvement. BJ kept it simple but his music material is just amazing. You can tell that this was a punk revival if you listen to some albums such as "London Calling" by the Clash and "Rocket to Russia" by the Ramones. They did a damn fine job of bringing punk back in the music scene. // 10

Lyrics: Billie Joe is a philosopher god dammit! He has amazing lyrics, it's hard to believe a person can write lyrics like that when your in your an early adult(18-21). The lyrics fit great with the songs. BJ has amazing singing skills PERIOD. // 10

Overall Impression: This album would compare to no other because it was different from other albums. The songs that impressed the most were: Having a blast, When I come around, and Coming clean. I love the whole album, gotta love the FOD/all myself thing too! There is NOTHING I hate about this album. If it were stolen, I would buy another copy! This record is worth it's price, after all, it was 1994's best rock CD. Go get it my friends :D // 10

Dookie Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Sound? Let me put it like this: I didn't have enough time to change my cds in the morning on the way to school. So one time I ended up listening to this record for about 3-5 weeks straight and it never once got old. It's not complicated musically. C'mon. Green Day opened the door for every band out there that had a three chord song. // 10

Lyrics: Incredible. I apply these lyrx to every aspect of my life. I write them on my chucks and lemme tell you about 80% of them are Greenday and from dookie. I guess I'm just one of those weirdos that thinks constantly about lyrics. Each song is special. Ima try to pick out my favorite lines from each song. 01. Burnout - "I declare I don't care no more" first line but it's short sweet simple and to the point. 02. Having A Blast - this entire song is good lyrically: "I'm taking all you down with me explosives duct-taped to my spine. No one here is getting out alive this time I've really lost my mind and I don't care." 03. Chump - "I don't know you but I think I hate you... Strange how you've become my biggest enemy and I've never even seen your face." 04. Longview - incredibly well written "I've got no motivation where is my motivation? no time for motivation. Smoking my inspiration." 05. Welcome To Paradise - "It makes me wonder why I'm still here. For some strange reason it's now feeling like my home and I'm never gonna go." 06. Pulling Teeth - "Oh god she's killing me!" hahah love it. 07. Basketcase - "Grasping to control so I better hold on." 08. She - beautiful song! I cannot say enough good things about this song. It's so well written and oh god just listen to it. Probably one of my favorite songs of all time. "She, she's figured out, all her doubts were someone else's point of view." 09. Saffaras Roots - not one of the best. "Why are you alone wasting your time when you could be with me wasting your time?" 10. When I Come Around- this line is my senior quote! "You may find out that your self-doubt means nothing was ever there, you can't go forcing something if it's just not right." 11. Coming Clean - by far the some of the best lyrics I have ever heard! "Secrets collecting dust but never forget skeletons come to life in my closet... seventeen and coming clean for the first time, I've finallyt figured out myself for the first time." 12. Emnius Sleepus - "and now I think I'm (your) sick and I want to go home." 13. In The End - "I've figured out what you're all about and I dont thinmk I like what I see." 14. F. O. D. - another incredibly good song! "I'm taking pleasures in the doubts I've passed to you so listen up as you bite this: you're just a f--k. I can't explain it cuz I htink you suck. I'm taking pride in telling you to f--k off and die." // 10

Overall Impression: Excellent! Anyone who says they don't like this album is lying and needs a big foot shoved up their ass. Like I said it's one of those rare cd's that you can listen to everyday and it will not drive you nuts. Everything flows together so well from one song to the next. If you got 10 bucks go to a used store and buy it like I did. But good luck, I wouldn't sell Dookie back for the world, I don't know who sold theirs back but it's mine now and I bet they regret it. Plus it has the sesame street guy "Bert" moshing on the back! // 10

Dookie Reviewed by: Geek_Aus, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Green Day have been around for ages, and have recently come back with their American Idiot CD. The album, Dookie, is a classic example of their work. Green Day's sound is punk/pop. The sound seems to be missing something, as if there is a hole where another instrument should be, but that is my personal opinion because I am more into the "fuller" sound of Smashing Pumpkins and Metallica. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics of this album are standard; they do not stand out as amazing, but they aren't terrible either. Billie Joe is a reasonably good singer; his voice is strong. // 7

Overall Impression: My favourite songs off Dookie are 'When I Come Around' and 'FOD' If it was stolen or lost, I would buy it again, because, even though it's not a favourite album of mine, there are some songs on it that I paticularly like. It's worth having in your CD collection. // 8

Dookie Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: The sound of Dookie is pure punk. First, you have Billie Joe's great tone and great sound coming out of a Fender copy (Fernandes). Part of his tone sounds like a Marshall, but I'm not sure. Billie Joe has one of the best singing voices around and he is just a great guitar player with a lot of things to write about. Next, Mike Dirnt. Mike Dirnt uses a Gibson bass for this album and is has a great thunk to it. If you listen to Longview, he wrote that bass part while he was high and forgot it the next day, but somehow got it again. He now has a signiture bass with Fender. Last, but not least, Tre` Cool. Tre Cool is a great drummer, but a little repeative with his rhythms and his solos that he has on his songs. Overall, he is a great drummer and a great sounding one. Put all of those sounds together and you got a great sound! // 10

Lyrics: Overall, the lyrics are about masterbation, picking scabs, boredom, and wastelands. Billie Joe was very creative with his writing of the lyrics. One song, Emenius Sleepus, was written by Mike Dirnt, and one song that Billie Joe wrote is about something that happened to Mike Dirnt (Pulling Teeth). Over time, Billie Joe develops more lyric creativity, like America and others. Billie Joe has a great voice, able to go average and low harmonies. He is my imsperation as a singer and I respect his singer. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is no American Idiot, but it is one of the best albums around. I have like Green Day for 6 years and they are still my favorite band. The best songs are Burnout, Longview, Welcome to Paradise, Basket Case, Sassafras Roots, Coming Clean, and FOD. I love the fact that Green Day brought back punk-rock music, and I congragulate them, but I really want them to put out another album like Dookie. Hopefully, their next studio album will be. I don't think I hate anything on this album, except that All By Myself (the hidden track) would just be a separate track, by other than that, it is incredible. I just recently bought my second copy, so if Dooike was stolen or lost, I would just buy another. It's great and I recommend it to anyone who likes punk or wants something to do and you could just pop it in. // 10

Dookie Reviewed by: jackass6767, on november 12, 2012

Sound: The sound of this Green Day is very agressive and loud. Billie Joe's riffs are very simple and catchy. Mike's basslines are catchy like in Longveiw for example it's a very catchy bassline. Tre Cool's drumming is full of energy. The sound of this album is different from all the grunge bands from that time period in music. The vocals are also different from the grunge bands of that time period. Very good sounding album. Very catchy the songs will stay in your head for awhile. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are typical Green Day very simple. The song lyrics on the album are about boredom, masterbation, getting high, girls, sexuallity, and their lifestyles. The singer Billie Joe Armstrong's vocals are pretty original. The vocals fit the lyrics very well. You can relate to the lyrics on this album because many people go through these situations. These are good lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: In my opinian it's Green Day's best album. It is very different than American Idiot. The most impressive songs on this album are Burnout, Longveiw, Welcome To Paradise, Pulling Teeth, She, When I Come Around, and FOD. I really like this album a lot, you should buy this album. If I lost it I would buy it again. You should go out and buy it. // 9

Dookie Reviewed by: boyan89, on november 12, 2012

Sound: The sound on this album is fantastic. The guitar on this album is really good sure Billie uses just power chords but while he is doing those power chords he makes the songs really cathchy and you just have to listen to the songs. The bass on this album is absolutely fantastic Mike Dirnt is one of my favourite bass players and those of you that say he sucks he does not suck hear "Longview" and you will see what I mean. Tre Cool's drums are amazing on this album but he does a better job on other albums well since this was his 1st album with Green Day what would you expect? Anyways phenomenal sound. // 10

Lyrics: Billie Joe is an amazing songwriter when it comes down to the lyrics and so is Mike since he wrote one song on this album. Hell Billie can sing about anything like when he was in therepy or something like that, terrorizing, getting high and other really intelligent stuff and it is just really amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: Well the overall impression of this album was that it was amazing and it was really spectular and nothing can compare to it. I do not have any favourite songs on this album because all of them are spectular. I love everything about this album I mean sure it only has 1 or 2 solos but it is still an amazing album from GD. I hate nothing about this album I mean what is there to hate! Seriously! If it were stolen/lost I would defenitely buy it again. I would recommend this album to anyone who just started getting into punk music, anyone that likes punk music or just about anyone because it has something everyone will enjoy. // 10

Dookie Reviewed by: pinkfloydian11, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Raw, grungy, and punk. Only these words can describe Green Day's landmark album Dookie. After two albums with an independent label they signed with Reprise and called in producer Rob Cavallo to make 14 songs the band had been playing for a while become an album.There are no extreme innovations in this album just simple punk music. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are all written by Billie Joe except "Emenius Sleep", written by Mike Dirnt. The lyrics talk about average teenage life and rebellion. Some short excerpts are," I declare I don't care no more","Are you locked up in a world that's been planned out for you" and, "Secrets collecting dust but never forget". The lyrics fit the sound of each song. When the lyrics are angry the music is shrieking anger. The album is sung by Billie Joe. He's got a good voice but it does get old after a while. // 9

Overall Impression: This is one of Green Day's best and rawest albums. The best songs are "Burnout", "She","When I Come Around", and "Welcome To Paradise". I love the power and uncut and unclean sound of the album. Although they're easy songs to play with 3 chords it doesn't matter from a listener's standpoint. There's not much I don't like but when you get late in the album the songs start to sound the same a bit. If it were stolen or lost I'd for sure buy another copy. // 10

Dookie Reviewed by: Bass Reaper, on november 12, 2012

Sound: What I like about this album is it's classy beat and heavy guitar parts. Billy Jeol really brings out the tone of all the intruments different properties and sounds. The bass guitar sounds very good in this whole album and that's one of the many reasons This is my favorite albums. // 10

Lyrics: Well, as you already know, Green Day doesn't have the cleanest mouth in the world. So this album naturally has a little language in it but other than that the lyrics are great. What makes the lyrics even better is the guitar in sync with Billy Joel's Irish accent. I have never been to a concert so I don't really know what they sound like live but I would assume that billy joel has a good untouched voice. // 10

Overall Impression: I think that every band has its own, as you would say, signature characteristics. For example, green day has a good bass guitar and billy joels accent, and All American Rejects have Classic, out of the ordinary intros. I would suppose the best song on the album is Long View because of the bass guitar's lead part in the song. I believe the only bad part about it is the language because when I listen to music, I listen for the nice beat and sound, not the cussing and profanity. This album is definetly worth getting if you can manage to find it. // 10

Dookie Reviewed by: ken20008, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Being a Green Day fan, I have nothing to say but this is one ofn the greatest albums I ever heard from them. Anyone who says this album sucks is either lying or an complete idiot. From a neutral point of view, the songs have an uniqueness about them hat makes it attractive. The instruments are well-balanced, with none struggling to overcome the other, and best of all, no sudden volume changes. The guitar sound terrific, the distortion is good, nice and not to harsh, not too subtle. it's just right. The bass creeps through the sheer loudness of the guitar and drums and makes it's presence greatly felt. The drumming is good, given it is Tre's first album with BJ and Mike Dirnt. BJ's power chords may be easy and simple, but the way he makes the guitar sound so superb yet so easy just shows for his skill. His voice is good throughout the album, although the main problem is his pronouciation and enuciation. It is average, given that I misheard lyrics in many of the songs. It took a few looks at the lyrics booklet to get them right. Mike is brilliant with the bass, some songs have terrific bass solos to them. Tre's drumming is okay, I must say typical, but his skill cannot be denied. The songs are catchy; they stick in your head. I wanted to give it a ten, but no album is perfect, so a 9 is good enough. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are probably the best part the album. Uniqueness plays are part in every song's sound, so are the lyrics. The singer's pronounciation skills actually kind of suck, cause I misheard lyrics. No matter what, it possesses the lyrics you will want to hear. Themes like love (She), girl-beats-boy domination (Pulling Teeth), isanity (Basket Case), boredom (Longview), hate (Chump), complete isanity (Having A Blast) and so much more other themes, but I wont list them all. My overall impression is that I'm completely awed at thee lyrics quality. // 10

Overall Impression: Comparing to all the other albums that I've, this is the best. All the songs are impressive, but Basket Case. When I Come Around and F.O.D are the most impressive songs on this album, not forgetting Longview. I love the album's absolutely unbeatable sound, I hate nothing. If it were stolen lost, I would buy other 5, and keep them like treasure. This is Green Day at their very best, and this album wont have many peers in terms of quality, sound and lyrics. It is simply incomparable. // 10

Dookie Reviewed by: livinginmisery, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Ok this has to be the best album of all-time. It's so clean and so kid-friendly. Lol just kidding. It is, however, one of the best albums ever made in the history of rock music. It is pure Green Day. The amazing punk sound, bass riffs and solos, and drumming just make this CS sound so uniwue. Like in Welcome to Paradise. The guitar part isn't that complicated, but the bass solo is incredible and the speed that Tre' gets on the drums is unimaginable. Also, the bass part on Longview is easy, and yet not so easy as to be considered beginner. You get a 10 from me. // 10

Lyrics: Now, here the CD doesn't shine AS much, but it still has meaning. The stuff before this, like Kerplunk, centered around gettin high and makin love. Which I have no problem with. But this CD goes a little deeper and talks about psycho chicks and beating off. LMAO. The best written song is When I Come Around. It has the most meaning. I played and sang that song to my ex-gf just after she broke up with me. Maybe I should've gone with She or Hold On. Oh, well, at least I was honest, right. Anyway, the lyrics get a 10 from me, because I should've sang All By Myself. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD was the 2nd one I got after American Idiot, and I think I like it more. Although American Idiot has more meaning, Dookie has better riffs and chords. People talk about how their music is too simplistic. Well, it works. It follows the Kiss principle (and not the knights in satans service one). 01. Burnout - pretty good opening song. Nothing special, but gets you into the feel and sound of the CD. 02. Having A Blast - I'm almost certain everyone has had this thought process through their heads at least once in their lifetime, especially if they listen to this type of music. Still a good song. 03. Chump - Not really that crazy about this song, but I like the transition to Longview. 04. Longview - The slacker's anthem. Absolutely love it! 05. Welcome To Paradise - describes my hometown perfectly. Probably my favorite song on the CD. 06. Pulling Teeth - kind of a weird song. Decent riffs though. 07. Basket Case - probably my least favorite of the singles, but descrbes a couple people in my family. Great. 08. She - doesn't really connect with me (gee I wonder why) but my gfs have said that it describes them to a point. Awesome lyric and very easy guitar part. 09. Sassafrass Roots - goofy song. Every one of Green Day's CDs have at least one of these. 10. When I Come Around - rivals Welcome To Paradise for my favorite on the CD, and probably in my top 10 of all time. Amazing lyric. 11. Coming Clean - probably my least favorite on the CD. Haven't reached 17 yet so I really can't connect with it (just turned 16). 12. Emineus Sleepus - proves once for all that Billie Joe is a better songwriter than Mike, but it sounds like it describes one of his friends. It describes one of mine. 13. In The End - haven't actually heard this one. My copy was found by my little brother the second day I had it and he scratched it up a little bit. So now it skips. From what I've been able to make out it seems alright. 14. F.O.D. - been looking for a good tab for this one but haven't found it yet. It probably qualifies as the CD's ballad, but not close enough to make the CD complete. I agree with it wholeheartedly though. 15. All By Myself - ilarious hidden track. Two of these songs are on my top 10 songs of all time, and 4 are in my top 50. // 10

Dookie Reviewed by: stjimmy1810, on november 12, 2012

Sound: From the moment I started hearing Dookie, I knew it was one of the best examples of punk rock I have ever heard. To some people, it may sound just noisy, with no melody to it. But to some others who appreciate punk rock, this album will be a classic example. Songs like Burnout come with such a bang that it makes some people, like me, play it over and over again for at least a dozen times. Another classic song from this album that reappears on another Green Day album later on is Basket Case. It is a classic punk/alternative track that just enters your head with a huge bang and stays there for a very long time. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics for this album are based on more general topics, unlike a lot of other albums, which has love as their theme. I think this is quite normal for punk rock artists. As for the singers skills, they are not that great. However, his singing is very unique. This voice is recognizable anywhere. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to most other artists, this album has more punk rock to it. A few of the most impressive songs are Welcome To Paradise, Basket Case and Burnout. If this album was lost/stolen, I would most probably buy it again This album demonstrates amazing styles of punk rock that I feel is a good album to add to your collection. // 9

Dookie Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Dookie was Green Day's first record on a major label. It is much better lyrically and musically in comparison to their previous independent label efforts 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours and Kerplunk, although both noteably great albums. Dookie is stuffed full of power chords, fast drumming, and catchy, pop/punk riffs. Most of the songs on this record have a certain meaning or incentive for writing at the time, whereas two or three sound like they were last-minute additions made to fill space. // 8

Lyrics: 01. Burnout - an ode to lazyness, wasted youth, and marijuana.A great song overall. 02. Having A Blast - this song is just about every misfit's fantasy. Or it could also be about a car bomber. With lyrics like"explosives duct taped to my spine" and "I won't listen to anyone's last words", well, this one was destined to be a classic. 03. Chump - remember those "last minute additions" I spoke of above? I believe this was one of them.It's probably about a cheating girlfriend or paranoid boyfriend. 04. Longview - an amazingly simple anthem for bored outcasts. With a humorous outlook on things like weed, boredom, maturbation and an innovative bass riff and classic chorus, who couldn't fall in love at first listen? 05. Welcome To Paradise - a story about a scared kid fresh out of his or her parents'home.Almost every grown person can relate to this song. 06. Pulling Teeth - you hear about husbands beating and holding their wives captive, but you never hear it told the other way around. Green Day's lead singer and guitarist Billie Joe spoke of just that in this kinky two and a half minute ditty. You can also hear songs like this on Kerplunk and Warning. 07. Basket Case - one of the side-effects of marijuana is panic attacks. And Green Day were a spaced out bunch. Both Mike (bassist) and Billie experienced frequent episodes and one of Green Day's most famous songs sparked from this problem. The lyrics revolve around paranoia and hallucination and the music loud and trhrashy, but it is mellow at the same time and keeps a consistent rythym throughout. One of their best songs. 08. She - I couldn't tell you what this song is about. Maybe trying to fit in to society, possibly failure or being looked down upon. Whatever the case, the music and singing are great and this is another one on my favorites list. 09. Sassafras Roots - another "fill the space" song I think. The lyrics are quite redundant, but don't get me wrong, repetitive is good in some cases, but this song's lyrics don't do it for me.The music is good, but there's nothing special about this one. 10. When I Come Around - the concert: Woodstock. Although I'm sure their stage antics at this festival had a big hand in making them popular (Google "Mudstock", you'll know what I'm talking about), their performance of this song provided just the push up the charts they needed.As simple as it is, the riff in this song is one of the most recognizeable. 11. Coming Clean - this is Billie Joe's way of saying he may be bi-sexual. In this short story he expresses his confusion and how his parents and peers would take it. The music is catchy and the lyrics are good. 12. Emenius Sleepus - this is a loud and short song Mike wrote.The lyrics are quite good and the verses and chorus complement each other very well. 13. In The End - a song similar in lyrics and music to the previous track. It has some humor thrown in places and is fun listening. 14. F.O.D. - the angriest song on the record and possibly my favorite. This one starts with an acoustic background to some great lyrics. It's very quiet until it damn near gives you a heart attack! It's a great ending to a fantastic album. 15. All By Myself - this is a bonus track possibly performed by the drummer, Tre. It is about being lonely and masturbating. From the way it sounds there was probably weed involved in the making of this track. It's a pretty funny acoustic song. // 8

Overall Impression: This album got me interested in other punk bands. I would compare the sound on this album to Blink 182's Dude Ranch and Good Charlotte's The Young and the Hopeless. The best songs from this record are "Burnout", "Longview", "Basket Case", "When I Come Around", and "F.O.D." There are songs on the album I don't especially like, but there is nothing I hate. I would buy this again if it were lost. // 10

Dookie Reviewed by: mchugh92, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Ahhh vintage Green Day! You rewind back to the early '90s and the two albums that spring to mind as Rock classics are Nevermind and Dookie, and even today Dookie does not lose it's effect. Though Billie Joe may not be the most technical guitarist out there, he can certainly write a catchy guitar riff, the guitar tone itself is instantly recogniseable, and both Mike and Tre are at the top of their games here, Mike may not be a musical genius but when it comes to writing great bass interludes in a pop-punk song, he is the best! And Tre, though nobody is claiming he is Neil Peart or Danny Carey, the man can drum and his style suits Green Day's music! The great thing about this album is that it's not entirely serious, in fact there is a lot of satire inherent in Dookie, unlike today's music scene where almost every band is self-pitying and whiney, this band has a whacky sense of humour and a style of their own. In songs like Longview, Welcome to Paradise, Burnout, and Basket Case there is very little hint of seriousness even when the topics are extremely serious in themselves! Although they did get a lot of flac in their hometown for "selling out" there is no denying that Green Day made their mark on music. This album isn't a masterpiece, it's a straight rock album through and through, there is very little musical genius, but there doesn't need to be! // 9

Lyrics: As mentioned above, if you're looking for serious lyrics this isn't the album for you! The fun-sounding music is backed up perfectly with the hilarious lyrics, I mean seriously what kind of emo band comes out with lyrics like "when masturbation's lost it's fun, you're f--king lazy!" even on Basket Case which is about paranoid schizophrenia, Billie Joe doesn't waste time going into the head of a mentally unstable person, he just makes fun of it! This isn't a mature album, but it's not supposed to be either! It's almost childish at times. Billie Joe's voice is distinct, once you hear him, you know who it is, he's not Maynard James Keenan or Mike Patton for example, but he does well with what vocal talent he has, and that's enough for any singer! // 9

Overall Impression: I would like to point out that although I'm praising this album I am by no means a complete Green Day fanatic, in fact my favourite bands would be the likes of Mr. Bungle, Tool, Pink Floyd, Opeth and King Crimson, I can see the effect this album has had on music, it may not innovate, but it makes the listener laugh throughout, it's a fun album to listen to, and I was once in a band who covered a lot of early Green Day and it's really fun playing these songs onstage! If you're expecting a really technical album with serious lyrics, you're not going to enjoy this album, but if you like listening to music that brightens an otherwise crappy day Dookie is the album for you! // 9

More Green Day reviews rating latest review