Insomniac Review

green day: Insomniac
Released: Oct 10, 1995
Genre: Punk Rock
Label: Reprise
"Insomniac", Green Day's fourth full-length (2nd on a major label), is definitely one of Green Day's best. It was also sort of strange, but in a good way.
 Lyrics: 9.2
 8.9
 9.4
 8.3
Insomniac Reviewed by: punkrocker6792, on november 12, 2012

Sound: This album is the angrier side of Green Day. Of all Green Day's albums, this one has to be their most hard core punk to date. The guitar riffs and bass lines fit nicely together and Tre' Cool's drumming fits perfectly with the music. It contains fast paced music and powerful singing drum tricks. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics, as with any Billie Joe writes, are brilliant. The fit great with the songs, and are easy to understand, and sometimes even relate to. His singing skills in this album don't show much of his ability, but he gets the job done. // 8

Overall Impression: It compares to other albums by Green Day, and I would say it's in their top three albums of all time. The most impressive songs are Panic Song, Brain Stew, Jaded and 86 in my opinion. I love this album's raw punk sound. I hate nothing about it, except some of the songs sound similiar. If this was stolen or lost, I would get it again. Go pick up a copy, it is definately worth your money. // 8

Insomniac Reviewed by: dookie_86, on november 12, 2012

Sound: The sound on insomniac is amazing! It has so much power into it compared to Dookie (not saying that Dookie isn't amazing). This is Green Day at their hardest point I think because of the lyrics and the guitar playing. // 10

Lyrics: Billie Joe...what can you say? The guys a genious when it comes to song writing. The lyrics in this album were very strong and had alot of meaning to them. Billie Joe also has kick ass vocals as usual. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is none like any other. The most impressive songs on this album definitly are "86" and "No pride". I love everything about this album the only thing I hate is that the album is only about a half an hour. If i lost this album, of course I would buy it again. This CD is worth every cent. I suggest you go and buy get it ;). // 10

Insomniac Reviewed by: Rancid Ivy, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Insomniac, Green Day's fourth full-length (2nd on a major label), is definately one of Green Day's best. It was also sort of strange, but in a good way. It's pretty much a classic Green Day album, in fact, it's Green Day's third best selling album behind Dookie (1994) and American Idiot (2004). Released on October 10, 1995, Insomniac opens with a "mini" drum solo, and preceds to 30 minutes of pure energy and force. The sound quality on this album is pretty amazing, I personally think the quality of the sound was better then on Dookie, but that's just my opinion. The songs are all short and to the point, with 14 tracks clocking in at just a little less then 33 minutes. One thing unique with this album is it's title and it's art. When asked in an interview, frontman Billie Joe Armstrong said the album name came from Winston Smith (The artist who made the album cover). When Billie asked him how he could work so fast, Smith replied, "That's easy, I'm an insomniac!" The album art is also quite amazing, and it is actually a collage that Winston Smith made, called "God Told Me to Skin You Alive". The album was definately harder and more powerful than Dookie, and Billie Joe wrote the songs out of anger and also his newfound "fame" Green Day got after releasing Dookie the year before. // 8

Lyrics: To be blunt, the lyrics on this album are darker, but just a wee bit more powerful than on Dookie. The lyrics go really well with the music, and even the music without much lyrics can make you know what they're talking about. An example of this would be "Panic Song". The singing only starts about halfway through the song, but just by hearing the music you can already know what Billie's gonna be singin' about. Billie Joe's voice hasn't changed much since Dookie however, it's still some cool pop punk voice, and that reminds me, I think this is one of Green Day's most "Punk" albums. // 7

Overall Impression: I am very happy to say, that Insomniac was one of the first albums I ever bought. It was the album which got me into guitar, and later, along with all of Rancid's albums, would get me into bass. I personally think it's one of Green Day's best albums, if not THE best. Here are some songs that stand-out in Insomniac: 01. Brat: for some reason, when I was 10, this song used to always make me have this really weird smile on my face when I heard it. 02. Geek Stink Breath: this song, is one of my ultimate favorite Green Day songs, not even counting the fact that it always get's the audience pumped when my band plays it live. 03. 86: 86 is a really awesome song, it talks about how after Green Day signed on a major record label, they got banished from 924 Gilman Street, the all ages punk club in California where they, and many other cool bands, got started. 04. Panic Song: like I said in the section above, this song doesn't even need singing to make you know what it's talking about. 05. Brain Stew/Jaded: they are technically the same song, since there's no fade out time, and they're my favorite songs off this album, along with Geek Stink Breath and Panic Song. 06. Walking Contradiction: the last song off the album, it finishes the album in an awesome "We'll be back" kind of way, plus it has one heck of an awesome music video! To finish off my review, I'll say that if I got this album stolen, I'd definately want a new copy. I love this album, really one of the albums I listened to the most as a kid. // 9

Insomniac Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Punk Rock, Punk Alternative, Rock. // 10

Lyrics: Billie Joe writes great songs. There are definitely no songs that just "take up space". Walking Contradiction talks about bands that are "sell outs". "Talk is cheap and lies are expensive." The album itself is about when Billie went back to his hometown and everyone hated him and thought him and his band were sellouts. "Insomniac" is definitely Green Day's darkest but one their best albums. // 10

Overall Impression: The only album I can even compare this to is Dookie. And I still dont know which album is my favorite. If you like Dookie definitely get this album but if you dont have Dookie either definetly get that. They are both definitely worth the money. The standout tracks (my favorite) are: Armatage shanks, Brat, Geek stink breath, 86, Panic song, Brain stew, Jaded and Westbound sign. I do like the other songs but these are my favorite. Other bands I listen to are NOFX, Rancid, Offspring, Finch, The Used and more. // 10

Insomniac Reviewed by: ElectricParade, on november 12, 2012

Sound: As far as sound goes, perhaps Insomniac wasn't the most diverse album of Green Day's, but definately the darkest and most expressive. The guitar is fast, loud, and full of power chords, in their usual style, and Billie Joe's vocals seem angrier than ever. Of course, and as always, the rest of the band contributes well, but Armstrong really seems to - if you want to call it this - shine on Insomniac. Despite the heavy dependance on power chords and signature pseudopunk tempos, the sound of Insomniac is strong, mean, and, well, loud. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on Insomniac are probably what make it my favorite album of all time. All the songs are full of anger and a general hate for everything, but each on a different level. For example, in "Brat", Billie Joe goes on about not having enough money, and waiting for his parents to die so he can inherit theirs. Regardless of the song, the disses fly every which way, but for every one aimed at an ex-girlfriend ("Stuart and the Ave), selling out (Walking Contradiction), and for the world in general (anything from Tight Wad Hill to Panic Song), BJ aims four or five at himself. The lyrics of some of the tracks, on the surface, are somewhat humorous, but mixed with black sarcasm, deep self-hatred and general disregard make it by far the darkest album by Green Day, even ten years after the release. // 10

Overall Impression: I've never been one to give one member of a band all the credit for a song/album/whatever, but I really have to hand it to Billie Joe for this masterpiece. Like I said, it is my favorite album of all time, and without the intense guitar, bitchy vocals (not intended as an insult, heh heh), and backhanded, acidic lyrics, Insomniac wouldn't exist. If I had to pick something that I hated, it would be the over-use of simple chord progressions (I would have picked 4.5 for sound if I could have). I think Green Day are better than that, and they've proved it on other albums. As for it's worth, if I lost it (which I did last week), I might die, and then I would definately go buy it again. Worth every penny. My absolute favorite song on the album (and just favorite song in general) is Tight Wad Hill (mostly 'cause of lyrics), but I like them all, which is something I can't say for many others. This album made Green Day my favorite band, so if you even remotely like them, or 90's pseudo punk. // 10

Insomniac Reviewed by: -@GIAN@-, on november 12, 2012

Sound: This album is tough stuff. It's the darkest album that Green Day ever put out, and this is conveyed by the high-gain, gritty distortion of Billie Joe Armstrong's Fernandes Stratocaster. Every chord sound furious and punches through with wicked clarity, making songs like "86" and "Stuck With Me" pure pleasure to listen to. The bass lines are incredible, too. Mike Dirnt's underated abilities are let loose on this album with perfect bass lines. The combination of Tre's drumming, Mike's bass, and Billie Joe's obnoxiously punk riffs make this aspect of the CD nearly unbeatable. In this aspect, I believe Insomniac is some of Green Day's best material to date. Any fans of punk/alternative WILL like what this album sounds like. // 10

Lyrics: If the album cover, titled "God told me to skin you alive," didn't give you an idea, than the lyrics will. Every song paints the perfect picture of a stoner's living nightmares, conveying the raw emotions of any non-comformists with songs like "Walking Contradiction" and "Stuck With Me," and spilling the guts of punks and rebels in "86", "Jaded", "Bab's Uvula Who?", and "Stuart and the Avenue". Billie Joe's lyics here are perfect for the album. Though, sometimes, he could be hard to understand, making it hard for many people to enjoy. This however can be do the stress of taking care of his kid combined with the lack of sleep, which gave this album it's name. Overall, Billie Joe Armstrong has developed as a singer on this album. // 9

Overall Impression: It can be argued that this is the best Green Day album, depending on your mood or your point of view. I like to rock out to this song when things are getting on my nerves. If someone tried to steel this from me, I'd kick 'em in the nuts, then let him listen to it, 'cause no one should live without hearing at least one song from this album. I love the darkness in this album, and I hate that I love it so much. // 10

Insomniac Reviewed by: belavista man, on november 12, 2012

Sound: This one isn't classic Green Day, but it's still pretty good in it's own right. There's certainly some great songs on here for sound. This contains the likes of "Geek Stink Breath" and "Brain Stew" which have to be Green Day classics, even if the album isn't. Some of the guitar parts have you hanging on a knife edge on here. Such as "Brainstew"/"Jaded" and "Bab's Uvula Who?". I can't get enough of those guitar parts, even if they are simple enough. // 9

Lyrics: They're good, but not very audible. Billie Joe is a good singer, but it doesn't show on here, because you can't hear him, and that's a real loss. The lyrics could have been written better too, judging by the lyrics that I could actually hear and the ones that I read from the internet/inner cover. So, not a bad effort overall, but could have been better. // 8

Overall Impression: I think that this album is a good listen for a while, but it could have been better, and if it was, I would buy it all over again. It's a shame that the volume of guitar over-powers everything else, too. But I suppose that's the price of punk. It's also a shame that the tracks are so short. The longest track on here is "Brain Stew" at 3:12 and the shortest is it's partner, "Jaded" at 1:30 (though, I suppose that together they made a pretty long single). // 8

Insomniac Reviewed by: Letterbomb, on november 12, 2012

Sound: I love how Billie took his songwriting a step further. He made his guitar chords sound darker, his voice darkened, almost everything about this album's sound is perfect. It seemed that it would be impossible to make an album that matched Dookie's sound. But then this came out and it was better in my mind. It's not just Billie who took another step musically, Mike's bass riffs improved too. Especially on the song: Stuart And The Avenue. // 10

Lyrics: As I mentioned earlier, his lyrics and voice darkened. I think that in this album, he's not afraid to let people know how he feels. This album wasn't named insomniac just for show. The thrashing lyrics keep me up all night long. (When I want to) I just love listening to this album. // 10

Overall Impression: It doesn't really compare to any other of Green Day's albums, but you can still tell it's Green Day by the sound of their voices. My favorite songs on this album are Armatage Shanks, Brat, Stuck With Me, Geek Stink Breath, No Pride, Bab's Uvula Who, 86, Panic Song, and basically every other song on this album. I already mentioned everything that I love in the first paragraph, besides the fact that I can play any song on this album and sound good because the guitar parts are so easy. That doesn't make it bad at all though. If it were stolen, I'd chase the dirty bastard down with a shovel and beat the living shit out of them. If it were lost, I'd go into a state of withdrawl until I go to the store and buy it again. // 10

Insomniac Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Green Day in 2007 is much different then this album in 95/96. I consider this still to be their darkest album they have and it is punk at it's truest. Straight forward power rifts which move quick to slow. Brain Stew may highlight this better then any other song, but honestly every song on this is unique and stands on it's own. The drums really bring this album to a new place. The symbol work is much more intense than any of the other albums in my opinion while Mike's base lines are much more complex and out there. The highlights of drums and bass are "No Pride", "86", and "Geek Stink Breath". // 10

Lyrics: Billie Joe does a fantastic job lyrically on this album. I like the lyrics really base the songs in true punk fashion. He really sets the stage for each song with the lyrics and the music fits great with them. "Bab Uveulas Who" is the best example of this. This is a straight forward album in terms of his singing and notes and such but there is something about his voice on this album over all the others that really appeals to me and found different and really good. Maybe it's the speed he sings or the raw sound which the album has which goes great with his voice, but of all the Green Day albums this one really is special in terms of his voice. // 10

Overall Impression: No lies or explanation needed about Insomniac. It is Green Day's best album period. Many people think because Dookie had so many radio hits and is so popular it should automatically be the best. Insomniac did however what few bands are able to do after a smash album like Dookie. Mature. There is a distinct matureness to this album, maybe it's the straight forward lyrics or the classic punk sound but this album is very impressive. I own every Green Day album and of any I listen to this has easily been played more then the others. Perhaps the other thing about Insomniac which really makes it so special is it really is Green Day's last true punk album. Nimrod saw a much different Green Day. This album stuck to their roots while maturing in sound and lyrics. It also was probably one of the last truely great punk albums we've seen in the last decade. Every song really is impressive because honestly each one has it's own feeling to it. I personally always loved Geek Stink Breath, 86, Jaded (for it's fast attack on guitar), and Bab's Uveula's Who. If anything ever happen to this album I would get another one asap. End of story. // 10

Insomniac Reviewed by: RitchieRamone, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Well, there's not much to say about the sound of the album. If you like "Dookie" you'll like "Insomniac". It's an album that's full of fury, alienation and those "FOD" moments. The sound is mutch darker and a bit faster than on "Dookie" so I could say that it's Punk-rock. Overall, I've always considered Green Day a pop-punk band; though "Insomniac" is a punk-rock album, and "AI" and "21CB" are Arena rock with a hmmm... How should I put it... Punk(y) feeling added to it. Songs like "Geek Stink Breath", "Brain Stew" and "Jaded" had a really big effect on me. They're just so... Big (if you know what I mean). I f--king love listening to them on my headphones cause I kinda feel like my ears are getting "crushed". On the other hand, there are songs like "Walking Contradiction" and "Stuck With Me" that could easily fit into "Dookie"'s concept if they were a bit more brighter and "poppier". // 10

Lyrics: In my opinion, this is where Green Day really shines. It's like fusing Bob Dylan who has like the best lyrics ever and The Ramones with their cartoonish-street kid feel. Compliance of the lyrics with the music is excellent. The lyrics give music even angrier (did I spell that right? XD) and grittier sound. As for the singing - Billie Joe sneers a bit more than on any of their records but it's really fine with me cause it really fits in well with the concept of the album. There's not much I can say about the lyrics. They're just perfect. Just listen to the album and hear it yourself. // 10

Overall Impression: How does it compare with other similar artists? Mother f--king great! There's no way in hell that you could compare bands like Sum 41, Blink-182, MCR, New Found Glory, Good Charlotte etc. To Green Day. The lyrics are just way more complex and... Better than any of these band ever had. While Blink sings about how they're gonna hold they're girlfriends hands, fall in love or not listen to their parents Green Day sings about rage, confusion and drugs. Sure, Billie Joe does write about girls, but he does it in a stranger way where love is a f--ked up thing. Most impressive songs? Hmm. "Geek Stink Breath", "Stuck With Me", "Brain Stew", "Jaded", "86", "Westbound Sign", "Panic Song"... Hell every single one of them! None of the songs except "Tight Wad Hill" sound like fillers. So, the conclusion - This is a strong one; every song on it sound excellent, especially if you play it loud (xD) and if it was stolen or lost, I would buy the record again! // 10

More Green Day reviews rating latest review