International Superhits Review

9.1
 9.5
 8.6
International Superhits Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: About 5 or 6 years of Green Day history on one albumn does mean varying styles. The songs from Insomniac are mainly in powerchords and most of the songs on warning are recorded on acoustic guitar. There is a good mix of upbeat tracks and ballads throughout the CD. // 10

Lyrics: What can I say. Billie Joe Armstrong is a lyrical genious! His lyrics are so powerful and painfully true, e.g. 'Welcome To Pardise' about living on your own for the first time and it basically being an uphill struggle. Words cannot describe just how talented and supremely gifted I think he is! // 10

Overall Impression: If you're a fairly new listener and only own American Idiot then buy this. It's cheeper than buying all four albums it is made up of (Dookie, Insomniac, Nimrod and Warning) and has some truley great punk tracks and ballads. If I lost this I would go and buy it again immedietly. My favourite songs are 'She' because no-one can copy the way Billie Joe sings it, and 'Welcome To Paradise' because it is the bitter truth. All the songs rock and I wish I could say all are my favourites! Green Day rock! // 10

International Superhits Reviewed by: harm0n20, on november 12, 2012

Sound: I've been a Green Day fan for a while and I just didnt have enough money to buy this CD (I have already been caught trying to steal a cd from my local music store). But I just had my birthday and my mom and dad gave me 20 bucks so I went and bought this album. The sound quality is awesome! There isn't one dull song on this album. I find it a great album to listen to in the car because there are so many songs on it that u dont have to change the cd every 30 minutes. // 10

Lyrics: Billy Joe is a great singer. His voice really kicks ass! The lyrics go along with the songs perfectly. Since these are old songs all I can say is that the lyrics are great! // 10

Overall Impression: This is by far one of my favorite cd's. I don't have a favorite song from Green Day because they are all just really good and this album picks out the best. Which would be really hard to pick out. I love how there are 21 songs on this album. If this album was stolen I'd definately buy another one and then I'd go beat the shit outta the kid that stole it from me. If you're a Green Day fan and don't have this album already (which is very unlikely) go buy it. If you haven't really heard of greenday but u like "punk" music, such as Blink-182, Bowling for soup, Jimmy eat world, etc... buy this album. You won't be disappointed at all. // 10

International Superhits Reviewed by: SGThunderstruck, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Sound is great. Excellent balance of treble/bass on all the tracks. Green Day fans must own this CD. From before Green Day got political, excellent. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are great, go well with the music, anyone with a sense of humor should like these songs. Billie Joe Armstrong as we all know, is a great musician, and his vocals are great on this CD. // 10

Overall Impression: Green Day's best album. May not have won all the awards that American Idiot did, but is spectacular in every way. Best songs from the album are.. well all of them. My personal favorites are Longview, Hitchin' A Ride, Minority and Good Riddance. Of the 22 (21 maybe) songs on the album, 18 are excellent in my opinion. I love the humor to all of the songs, not one of the songs has a bit of seriousness to it, with the exception of Good Riddance. I would buy it again if it were lost, however it is uploaded to Itunes and I could just burn it to a blank if I lost it. // 10

International Superhits Reviewed by: McCheese, on november 12, 2012

Sound: This is a compilation of the singles from the albums Dookie, Nimrod, Insomniac, and Warning. I think all of the songs have been digitally remastered or something because the songs from Dookie sound much better than the original quality which was, let's face it, terrible. All of the songs sound brand new. All of the songs (apart from the ones from warning, where Green Day were experimenting with polotical ideas) are from their true punk era and are all amazing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are perfect as they depict exactly what life is like and express all kinds of ideas. Billie Joe is a lyrical genius! He is also an excellent vocalist and has a unique voice. The lyrics and the music fit together perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: I bought this album after buying American Idiot to see what they used to be like, and I didn't want to buy all of their old albums. I thought American Idiot was a phenomenal album and I listened to it almost non-stop for months. But this album was even better. My favourite songs are Hitchin' A Ride, Brain Stew, Minority, and Basket Case. If someone stole this album I would hunt them down Texas Chainsaw Massacre style. // 10

International Superhits Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: This is a collection of Green Day's best hits and it's a pretty decent album which has heavy songs like Brain Stew and slow ones like Time of your life. Billy Joe Armstrong uses really catchy riffs which are relatively easy to play on the guitar. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are good which are about lots of different things and when it comes to songwriting Billy Joe is a genius. Who would have thought simple riffs like Welcome to paradise and Brain stew would be so catchy with only about 3 chords. The best lyrics are probably on Basket case. // 10

Overall Impression: It's their best album with 21 of their best songs put together to make one good album.The best songs on the albbum are Basket case, When I come around, Brain stew, Hitchin a ride and Minority. If it was stolen I'd probably get it again or get a friend to copy it. It's worth buying now that the price has been lowered. And if you're into Green Day or punk get it. // 8

International Superhits Reviewed by: burntwist2003, on november 12, 2012

Sound: This album is how I was introduced to Green Day and i picked it up for 7, because my mate had recommened it and I thought why not give it a try. When I listened to it I was absolutely blown away with Billie Joe's amazing vocals which seemed to even penetrate the deepest parts of my ear drum. Bothe he and Mike Dirnt (the Bassist)provide catchy tunes that will keep you entertained for hours on end. Also the drummer, Tre' Cool adds some thumping drum beats that without the album would not recieve its full appreciation. // 10

Lyrics: When I first heard the lyrics to all the songs I was abit bemused with the actual words that Billie Joe uses. Yet after listening to it numerous times I have found that the lyrics that Billie Joe uses in this song a re quite poignant and personal yet I don't feel that I can fully relate to all of them yet some of them are really cool e.g. Minority & Basket Case. // 8

Overall Impression: Before I bought this album I wasn't really into much Punk yet this album has opened my eyes to the likes of Rancid, NoFx, The Clash and many more. The best thing about this album is that it has influenced me into buying more Green Day. I have bought Dookie and Warning aswell now due to listening to this album. I'd say the best tracks are Longview, Brain Stew, Hitchin' A Ride and Macy's Day Parade. I would definitely recommend to anybody who has been a fan of Green Day for a long time and to somebody who has just been introduced to them. Go out and buy it. // 10

International Superhits Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Amazing clarity for a punk rock type sound. I find the ratio from the distortion to the actual singing to be very near perfection. You can understand what Billy Joe is saying with ease, which is very different from say Weezer or something similar. I noted that the guitar, bass, and drums were in fine balence as well. Overall, surpirsing clarity and balence of the sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, gathered from various other cds, are choice. They represent Billy's feelings, thoughts, things he hates, and really you can relate something from the songs to your life. That sounds really deep, but it's really true. Poprocks And Coke talks about always being there, Basket Case for me is all about having some self problems, and the songs are of good variety; not all about girls, not about hate, and stuff like that. Stood out to me as each song having a specific meaning well conveyed through Billy's actually very good singer voice. // 10

Overall Impression: This was my first punk rock and Green Day album. I have all the other albums now, and it (International Superhits) is probably my favorite album. Not just of Green Day, but of all my alternative rock cds. I like the presentation of the cd (cover, song names [as unimportant as is sounds], the inclusion of the lyrics, and other little stuff like that) as well as the songs included. Time Of Your Life is an internationally recognized song, used in movies and other events, and Hitchin' A Ride and Basket Case are standards for incoming guitarists. Brain Stew is commonly recognized even by non-rockers, and was used in the Godzilla soundtrack. I would suggest this album to anyone who wants a good rock cd, or just wants a cd. This album has really come down in price over the past few years, but its worth every penny. If you're considering, buy it now. Hesitation is out of the question. It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right, I hope you had the time of your life. // 10

International Superhits Reviewed by: Nutmeg, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Green Day are the most awesome band ever. They always sound awesome. Well they do most of the time, some songs sound really bad (not particuarly on this album, on all of them there's bound to be one). The way the music is put together is amazing and sounds great 90% of the time. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are well thought out and most have a stroy to them, some of them are a bit strange (Maria, The Dog Eating The Document weird but, hey that's the way Green Day are, Deadbeat Holidays got an awesome intro but, but unfortunatley doesn't appear on this album). The lyris go perfectly with the lyrics because they are sung by the guitarist, so they have to really dont they? Billie Joe is an amazing singer but sometimes you can hear more of the music than the lyrics, which is a bit of a letdown. // 8

Overall Impression: There is no comparison between Green Day and other artists, they totaly kick butt (sorry if I'm offending someone out there). Most of my fave songs are on here: Poprocks And Coke, Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life), Minority, Basketcase (Avril lavigne so shouldn't have done that cover version of it, what was she thinking?) oh and Brain Stew great songs. I don't like Maria that much there are better songs and the cost is pretty high if you go to HMV or Virgin megastores which is a bit of a let down, but I found it cheap and chearful in the local record store. I would never loose it, and if someone stole it I would break their legs! I most probably would buy it again if I had enough money at the time, but I probably wouldnt have and I'm no good at saving up money, so nah it wouldnt get round to being replaced. Anyways this is an amazing album. If you haven't heard it, what are you waiting for? Go and get it! // 8

International Superhits Reviewed by: nerk13, on november 12, 2012

Sound: I love this album. It definitely has the best of best on here. I like the variety of the songs on here, like it goes from slow acoustics, "Good Riddance", to the mellow pothead's classic, "Longview", to the energetic and punk rock, "Minority". All of these songs are super catchy and easily get stuck in your head for hours; trust me, it can happen, but it's worth the risk of randomly bursting out in to song in the middle of Walmart, it really is. // 10

Lyrics: Okay, they lyrics on this album is nothing short of genius. Billie Joe is amazing, there's too much to lump together, so I will break it down to the best of the best lyrics: Longview - catches the exact feeling of being bored out of your mind, not just in the lyrics, but in the music too; " I'm feeling like a dog in heat, barred in doors from the summer street, in a house with unlocked doors and I'm f--king lazy." Welcome To Paradise - the way it was put together, like a letter, genius, very entertaining; " Dear Mother, can you hear me whining? It's been whole 3 weeks I have left your home. This sudden fear has left me trembling." Brain Stew - okay, I know I have already said this, but this song is like an anthem for all imsomniacs, it seriously captures the feeling of insomnia. It's amazing, not to mention, the music is perfect for lyrics, just the one guitar playing over and over, 'dudnt, dudnt, dudnt, dudn't.', amazing; "I'm having trouble trying to sleep, I'm counting sheep, but running out. The clock is laughing in my face, f--ked up and spun out of my room. On my own, here we go. My eyes feel like they're gonna bleed, dried up and bulging out my skull. Crooked spine, senses dulled." Minority - awesome! This song is all about being different, and I love it. The music and the chorus are so cool, they totally match the "Screw everyone else! Just have fun!", tone set by the lyrics: "I wanna be the minority, I don't need your authority, down with the moral majority, cause I wanna be the minority. One light, one mind flashing in the dark, blinded by the silence of a thousand broken hearts. For crying out loud, she screamed unto me, a free for all, f--k them all, you are your own sight." Macy's Day Parade - this song is a classic. It's about the matieralistic world and how usually what we think we want is not at all what we really want. The lyrics are inspirational and a real eye opener, not to mention, Billie Joe sings so well on this one, it's mindblowing; "When I was a kid I thought I wanted all the things that I haven't got, oh, but I learned the hardest way. Then I realized what it took to tell the difference between thieves and crooks, lesson learned, me and you." // 10

Overall Impression: Lyrics are absolutely amazing and genius, very deep too, somtimes hilarious. Vocals are awesome and mindblowing,tone and technique constantly change to match the tone of the music, not "perfect" like other singers out there (American Idol, teen popstar, flawless, fake-sounding, unoriginal), but rather unique and awesome, definitely a voice to pray for, always filled with emotion. Guitar/bass are awesome, may be simple, but effective. Mike Dirnt and Billie Joe are brilliant and have more talent in one pinky, than some guitarist have in their entire bodies. The simple riffs and chords keep the songs simple, not muddled up like some songs with overcomplicated guitar tricks that just ruin the song. The drums couldn't be better. Tre Cool is the King of Drums and rules all, enough said. They rock! That's my overall impression. There is no better band in the world, there couldn't be, it's not possible. // 10

International Superhits Reviewed by: kfong03, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Great sound. Phenomenal pop punk/punk rock sound that makes clever usage of simple chords and instruments (guiatr, bass, drums, the vocals aren't top notch though, Billie Joe Armstrong's voice in "Basket Case" and others are not excactly excellent but it improves through the album. My run-down for the songs: 01. Maria - dreadful opener, but it has a creative opening, a whiny song which I like to skip. Average instrument play, not impressive singing. 02. Poprocks & Coke - good pop song about love that sounds simple but sounds really relaxing for me. Nice instrument play and vocals. 03. Longview - a Green Day classic that has a great bass start, quiet vocals, then kind of explodes into a great song. Nothing too flashy, could have used a solo. 04. Welcome To Paradise - great. Very pop-punky number that has the classic quiet verse, heavy-ish chorus, together with an excellent bass/drums bridge. 05. Basket Case - quiet start which turns into a very catchy punk song, had me singing along in no time. 06. When I Come Around - something Simple Plan would have wrote, great song for girls to drool over, catchy. Kind of repetitive. 07. She - bad start, can't hear vocals clearly, nice duo singing, instruments are not flashy but give good accompaniment. Average. 08. J.A.R. - really gay song with crap vocals. The instruments kind of lift it up but not a favourite. Really funny end. 09. Geek Stink Breath - heavy starting riff that goes punk soon, vocals are good on this one, catchy and cool. 10. Brain Stew - heavy riff, quiet vocals in beginning but then everything explodes into great punk rock, would have been even better with a solo. 11. Jaded - blends perfectly from the last song. From punk to pop punk, vocals borders on whiny, drumming is fast and probably more grabbing than Billie's voice in this one. 12. Walking Contradition - better singing with a cool melody, very unoriginal but sounds good, still no signs of flashy guitar work. 13. Stuck With Me - pop punky riff with good vocals, blistering drums, un-showy guitar and bass work, classic Green Day. 14. Hitchin' A Ride - similar riff to Brain Stew but has violin intro and quiet bass vocals and finally a good solo. Killer. 15. Good Riddance - nice acoustic, touching song that's very un-Green Day, would have been a good ending track. 16. Redundant - ABBA-ish sound at parts, but mainly a pop-punkish song that's catchy all way through, the instruments blend together well on this one. Vocals are great. 17. Nice Guys Finish Last - another classic Green Day sounding song, pop punky and has nice bass work and good drums throughout but it's the funny vocals that really caught me. 18. Minority - a lot of people hate this one, but I must say it sounds good, nice guitar intro, average verses and chorus, nice harmonica solo, some of the best vocals so far, pop mixed with a grunge theme. 19. Warning - nice up and down riff that blends well with the vocals, very catchy chorus, contains a variety of sounds. Repetitive. 20. Waiting - acoustic start with vocals, distortion comes in with drums, verses sound good but the chorus is even better, the drumming in this song is good, with a good solo, improved vocals, altogether with the main riff makes a great song. 21. Macy's Day Parade - classic acoustic start, then drums and bass come in, very unoriginal but sounds acceptable, the plain sound helps bring out the vocals and also makes a good ending track. // 8

Lyrics: Green Day's name on an album is a garantee on great lyrics, at times funny, at times subtle, they talk about everything from love, to drugs and alcohol, boredom, etc. They sound peotic, un-squished-in, make sense, plus they rhyme and aren't screamed out in the songs makes it a very enjoyable aspect in the album. // 9

Overall Impression: Superb "Greatest Hits" album that is essential who enjoyed American Idiot but doesn't have any of Green Day's older albums. Even faced with extrodinary critism by people who likes classic rock (Pink Floyd, Guns N' Roses), I myself love Green Day and believe that this album would make a good listen for anyone who isn't just make pre-assumptions about Green Day and it's music, just ignore all the talk about them, and sit back and enjoy the music. I promise you this album won't dissapoint. // 9

International Superhits Reviewed by: Tster, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Seriously whaoooh! This album is a must for anyone who likes music. An old-school Green Day album fulled of all their best songs before 'American Idiot.' The CD is flooded with great tracks which will keep you rockin' hard! it's a rock album with a slight twist of punk-pop, Billie Joe, Mike Dirnt and Tre' Cool really know how to mkae music. This album will change everything if you think Green Day is just 'alright'. // 10

Lyrics: I think the lyrics are great and defiantly flow with the music. Billie Joe's voice is awesome! The lyrics don't relate to me as much as I'd like but they are still great. You gotta check it out, you'll love it and probably won't stop listing to the album all day. That's all I gotta say. // 10

Overall Impression: An amazingly great album! you can't get much better than this. Every song is an awesome hit and you'l love each song. Ok, even though every song is awesome the best three to me have got to be, Basket Case, Brain Stew and Minority. It was such a tough pick but they are the best. I love the feel and emotion this album gives out and I hate nothing about it except the odd, I'll skip that song moment. I'd defiantly buy it again. // 9

More Green Day reviews rating latest review