Kerplunk Review

green day: Kerplunk
Released: Jan 17, 1992
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Punk Revival, Punk-Pop
Green Day's second full album was the perfect dry run for the band's later assault on the mainstream.
 Lyrics: 9.1
 8.7
 9.5
 7.9
Kerplunk Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Okay, people, why am I always the first review of these amazing disks? Anyway, sound is well, the recording sounds like the unmastered version of 1039/Smooth like an unpolished punk, live sounding recording. Really puts you in the music. This is one album, I've noticed with Mike Dirnt singing very little and focusing on his bass lines, where Billie Joe takes on some harder, more complex melodies in his great vocal range. 2000 Light Years Away, the first track can demonstrate what I mean. You can hear acoustic versions of One for the Razorbacks, and Words I Might Have Ate on the mastered version of 1039. Listen to these to truly appreciate the versions of these songs on Kerplunk. For an unmatured Green Day, you can really tell how great they are live because of the rawness of this album. Y'all remember Welcome To Paradise from Dookie? Yeah, thats a cover from this album and this one is way better when it comes to instrumentals. Listen to the bass fills near the end. Insane I tell you, completely insane! // 10

Lyrics: Honestly, I have listened to mabye 10 or 20 words throughout the whole cd because that is not the main focus of the album. BJ Armstrong's vocals truly mesh this music. No other frontman would do the job. The lyrics don't really hit it with me, but the great vocals make it ok. I'll give it a five, because the sound is so good, the words don't mean a thing. // 10

Overall Impression: As was 1039, this is an unmatured Green Day we're talking about here. Still underground, very little recording money, no record deal. Realize that they pretty much went in to the studio and spent a day on this album. The sound is pretty incredible. Coming off a 19 track album, I don't know how they came up with 16 more songs, but they did - and they worked. // 10

Kerplunk Reviewed by: 39/Smooth, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Okay first off why doesn't anyone have this album? Probably no one can find it. I had to order this album from Lookout Records and I sugest you do too. The sound of this album is way different from dookie or american idiot but I still think this is an album any GD fan should have. The songs on this album sound similar to those on 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours. Honestly I think every song on this album is great but the songs that stand out the most are "2000 Light Years Away", "One For The Razorbacks", "Christie Road", "One Of My Lies", "No One Knows", "Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?" and the cover of the Who's "My Generation." Thats almost half the CD. This is Green Day's First CD with Tre. Billie Joe does some really good guitar solos and some catchy guitar riffs. Mike also adds really great bass riffs as always. No one can compare to Billie's crazy voice. // 10

Lyrics: I love the lyrics on this album! Especially on "2000 Light Years Away", "One Of My Lies", and "Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?" The lyrics may be about s and love but they're still amazing lyrics. Tre wrote and sang the song "Dominated Love Slave" which can't really be described as anything else but a Tre song. "Dominated Love Slave" sounds nothing like the other songs on this album. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my favorite Green Day album and if it were stolen or lost I would buy it/order it again right away. I love this album and every song on it. This album also features the Sweet Children EP, which includes the cover of the Who's "My Generation." The packet that comes with the album also includes a story called "My Adventure With Green Day." // 10

Kerplunk Reviewed by: due 07, on november 12, 2012

Sound: This was Green Day's last independent album on Lookout! Records. The sound is sort of a DIY version of their major label debut, Dookie. The songs have shifted slightly in style from 1,039/SOSH, and Billie's voice has deepened. It was their first album with their new drummer Tre Cool, and he has some amazing athletic fills. Even if it sounds like they were recorded in a cardboard box. This album is classic pop-punk, in the style of the Ramones or the Queers. The songwriting isn't quite as solid as Dookie, but it is still fantastic. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are typical of Green Day around this time. They showed a still pretty undeveloped vocabulary, and even some questionable lines (She holds my malokite so tight). At some points the lyrics are pretty humorous, and Tre Cool wrote a hilarios song caled Dominated Love Slave. Billie's singing is much better than his previous efforts, and it has so much confidence. // 8

Overall Impression: This is my second favorite album by Green Day, behind it's successor Dookie. It is a bit less poppy and 39/Smooth and Dookie, but still pretty accessable. For some reason it took a while for me to get into this, probably because of the recording quality. But now I listen to almost exclusively lo-fi, so I'm used to it. The best songs are '2000 Lightyears Away', 'One for the Razorbacks', '80', and 'Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?'. It should be noted this abum also features a different version of the Dookie song 'Welcome to Paradise'. I love how the songs all have a common style but don't all sound the same, like Bon Jovi. But the guitar sounds very weak and trebly, the bass sounds fine out front, and Tre's drumming is talented but poorly recorded. I would buy this again in a heartbeat, although I'd get it on vinyl instead of CD. // 10

Kerplunk Reviewed by: f**k the system, on november 12, 2012

Sound: The sound on this album is raw and cheap mainly cause they wasn't on a major record deal yet. But even for a raw, live sounding recording that sound on this album is surprisingly good and well done. The music style in this album are basicly the pop-punk sound style that Green Day invented, and if it's not broking why fix it? Damn right! There is no reason to change their style. What you have in this album for music style is damn good pop punk sound with the odd quite impressive guitar solo. The guitar playing on this album is pretty good, I mean that great thing about Billy Joe's guitar playing is that people listen to his riffs and think "oh he's only playing power chords" when really he is a pretty good guitarist if you listen to some of the solos he has done. Ok he's no Slash/Hammett/Mustaine/Murray/Hendrix/Satriani or Vai but he is one of the best punk guitarists out there. The bass playing from Mike is the usual awesome! I'm not a bassist (I'm a guitarist) but even I can respect his bass parts. The drum sound isn't Tre's best work but its pretty good, in my opinion Tre' Cools best drum work is done on the pop-punk masterpiece that is "Dookie." But I ain't on about that. // 10

Lyrics: The lyics are near enoug the same they have always been for this genre but why complain. No matter how big the complains you hear from people that "they always go on about girls and s--t" but people can defiently relate to them. So I say to them people, try to be a bit open minded, I know I am. Escically because I'm a metal head obsessed with Metallica/Slayer (who I have seen live) and Iron Maiden. But even a metal head like me likes this stuff so maybe you would to if you gave it a try. The lyrics go with the music like ketchup goes with toast (is that just me then?) not but seriously now. The lyrics goes with the music pretty damn good. // 8

Overall Impression: I can't beleive I'm the 2nd person to review this great album. What the f--k is up with that? In my opinion this is a awesome album from the un-mature Green Day and is easily their most under-rated album. The most impressive songs on this album are Christie Road (un-belivably good, it's a ballad type song and is very addictive). No One Knows (again another addictive ballad type song, this and Christie Road are like cocaine dipped on chocolate and caramel and smoothered in chocolate. In other words addictive to the extreme). My Generation (cover, orignally done by The Who. This is a great cover and is awesome, the who would be proud of this in my opinion). What Do I love about this album - everything. What do I hate about this album, it has to end sooner or later! If this album was stolen I would find the f--ker who did it and kill him with that damn anoying crazy frog ringtone! (Only joking no one deserves something that evil). I would probably beat the s--t out of the person who did it with my guitar full of stickers. Yes I would defiently buy it again. I mean it's a bargain. I got it from Musiczone for 7. Thats a bloody bargain. Worth every penny. I've said my bit about this great album and the rest, as they would say, is history. // 10

Kerplunk Reviewed by: alexc123, on november 12, 2012

Sound: On this album the bands sound is very good and sound tighter because tre cool is drumming. Also the sound quality is better than smoothed out. Billie Joes simple but effective guitar riffs are all still there but there are not as many improvised solos than the previous album which is a downer. Mike Dirnts bass playing is better on this album though. The band seem to be a bit more mature, as not all the songs are about girls. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are better than smoothed out, Billie Joes writing skills had improved and he thought more about what he was writing. Billie Joe on this album also started writing about being bored and having nothing to do. This works very well and he uses it alot on the later albums. The singing is a bit less poppy than on smoothed out slappy but yep the pop is still there. Billies singing does not really change much from the album before, but it's still great! // 9

Overall Impression: I think this is another classic greenday album. Its got all the catchy riffs and interesting lyrics that smoothed out has and its got some amzing songs on it like, Christie Road, Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?, 2000 Light Years Away and the funny Dominated Love Slave. For me though this album just aint as good as smoothed out slappy hour though. It should be I mean the lyrics and sounds are better but I just dont think it packs the punch that smoothed out does and it also has some dodgy songs on. I think this is still a must have for any greenday fan but if your going to get this, get 1039/smoothed out slappy hour as well. // 8

Kerplunk Reviewed by: Adarsh, on november 12, 2012

Sound: How Green Day miss this old, raw sound. This album already has that classic 'Dookie' touch, and has found that perfect mix of sound later exhibited in Dookie. Tre's drumming is a lot tighter than John's in 1039/SOSH and the gelling of the sound is great to hear. The speedy drumming, the grovvy bass and the power chords (the classic punk recipe) mix together to form, well, a great album. The bass is louder in this album than the rest of the green day albums, and that is good, because mike dirnt's bass is possibly at it's best in this album and the louder bass and softer guitar suits their sound very well (methinks). Tre's drumming is as flawless as ever, but he does seem to be using his cymbals less (relatively). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, well, Billie Joe has just started to show his shades of lyrical brilliance. There are still songs about girls (2000 light years away)but now the topics are becoming a bit more varied (unlike 1039/SOSH which was 75% about girls). In Android he talk about how old people were when they were young, and he wonders if he'll 'still be around' and be like the old men. In 'Who Wrote Holden Caulfield' (the charracter in that book) he wonders why the guy in the book keeps 'trying to take a stand but always ends up sitting' and so on. Basically, his lyrics are slowly forming a kind of substance and even though there are some corny lyrics here and there, the majority of the lyrics are resembling the trademark green say lyrics of later albums. // 9

Overall Impression: Kerplunk can be described as a transition from the raw energy and pace of 1039/S0SH to the pure Pop-Punk masterpiece of Dookie. The original 'Welcome To Paradise' is on this album, and if you hear the Dookie version immediately after this version, you'll hear the sound difference. Dookie's guitar is much louder and the distortion is more cutting. This might of course just be the difference in recording quality. Impressive songs: 2000 Light Years Away (this song represents all that is green day. Good verses, catchy chorus, speed drumming, grooving bass, etc), One For The Razorbacks (some great guitaring, and amazing solo, never say BJ can't play guitar), Christie Road (slower song, which picks up in the last verse and chorus. Sweet lyrics about visiting railroads and a street called christie road (duh) and spending time there), One Of My Lies (very Basket Case sound. Good song), 80 (good song with a good bassline), Sweet Children (a nice cheerfull song. This was in another EP but they added those songs do the album. Joh is the one who does the drums for these). This in whole was a great album. The only demeaning factor, possibbly, is the fact that the last 4 songs were from anolther EP. And you can tell. The quality of the songs (out of which one is a My Generation cover) and the quality of the recording is not very good, but this is a minor point. There's also a slightly out of context song by Tre called 'Dominated Love Slave' which is about begging to be hit and spanked by his girl. It's sung in a country western style so bit weird. I would definately buy it again, It's an album for anyone who wants a good pop-punk album that's not all squeaky clean like the other pop-punk bands these days. // 9

Kerplunk Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: I had been a fan of Green Day ever since I first heard them around the time Dookie came out which means that i was two when I first heard them. I listened to them a lot over the years but never got any of their pre-major label work until I bought this CD at a used CD store for five bucks. I was amazed at what I heard, From the first track to the last, I had picked my favorite green day album. This was more of the brutal recording i love and the guitar solos were awesome. Also the version of Welcome to Paridise on here is way better not only cause it has more focus on the bass which kicked ass anyway, but also the sound quality matches the songs mood well. The last four tracks from the Sweet Children ep were a well placed treat to something that was already perfect. Also Tre's drumming is great here too. One of the most underrated drummers. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics. They are vintage Green Day. The songs are all about the things pissed off teenagers can relate to but it doesnt put the message out there immediately. The lyrics seem really grown up for a young band. As with Billie Joe's singing..... top notch. I love Christie Road just for his voice if it were just that. No one can sing like he can. in a good way. // 10

Overall Impression: Every song on this is amazing. But I really love Christie Road, Android, One Of My Lies, No One Knows, Who Wrote Holden Caufield, and Best Thing In Town. I wonder how many people own this because this is essential album not just green day but essential period. And If someone stole it from me, i would torture them brutally. Enough said // 10

More Green Day reviews rating latest review