Nimrod Review

artist: green day date: 11/12/2012 category: compact discs
green day: Nimrod
Released: Oct 14, 1997 inprint
Genre: Rock
Tones: Manic, Playful, Cynical/Sarcastic, Quirky, Freewheeling, Raucous, Irreverent
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Punk Revival, Post-Grunge, Punk-Pop
 Lyrics: 9.1
 8.9
 9.3
 8.5
Nimrod Reviewed by: Gopher636, on november 12, 2012

Sound: If you knew me and I said I liked Green Day, you'd probably be surprised. I'm pretty much a metalhead. I like bands as extreme as Nile, which are as far away from these guys as you can get. So why am I reviewing a Green Day album? Because they kick ass. They used to, anyway. Many people know of them becasue of their 'American Idiot' album, which is a damn shame, as this is easily their best effort. It's easily better then Dookie or American Idiot. Sure, the music isnt too complicated, but it's good stuff, through and through. Billy Joe is a good singer, gets the job done, even though hes a faggot nowadays. His guitar tone is perfect for this type of music. Tre has always been a good drummer, and this is no exception. Same goes for Mike. Once again, good, quality stuff. // 9

Lyrics: As I said, BJ is a good singer. Goes perfect with the music. The lyrics can be deep (Scattered, Prosthetic Head) or just f--kin' weird. It goes good, which is why so many people like Green Day. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said before, Green Day's best effort. Combines the anger/darkness of Insomniac, punk edge of '39 Smooth, all without the crappy, poppiness of American Idiot. Best songs are Hithchin A Ride, Prosthetic Head, Haushinka, The Grouch. Hell, most of em are good. If you think American Idiot is good, listen to this. It trumps AI times 5000. // 9

Nimrod Reviewed by: livinginmisery, on november 12, 2012

Sound: This is, in my opinion, the album that sums up Green Day. It has their hardest stuff on here (Platypus, Take Back) and their softest stuff (Last Ride In, Good Riddance). It's their most complete album, but isn't their best album. The riffs are simplish, but it works. // 10

Lyrics: Well, lets start with the singers. Billie Joe, as always, sings incredibly. Mike does an alright job backing, but he's a better bassist then singer. Now the lyrics. The lyrics range from suicidal/emo (walking alone, reject, nice guys finish last) to angry/f--k the world (take back, platypus, the grouch), to encouraging hope songs (good riddance) to overall meaningless fun songs (hitchin' a ride, all the time). It has everything. // 10

Overall Impression: 01. Nice Guys Finish Last - good first song. Catchy lyrics and describes a sad reality. 02. Hitchin' A Ride - Goofy song, kinda. Not a real meaning, but makes for an easygoing single. 03. The Grouch - very funny/angry song. People have gotten in fights over this song. My father heard it and now he can't stand anything about rock. 04. Redundant - great lyrics. Simple riffs. Simple, good song. 05. Scattered - ok song, space filler. 06. All The Time - one of my favorites on the CD. "Time flies when ur having fun ya. Time's up when you work like a dog." Perfect. 07. Worry Rock - one of my least favorites. Decent, but nothing standout. 08. Platyous (I Hate You) - love the lyrics. "No one loves you and you know it don't pretend that you enjoy it or you don't care." Told my teacher that after she gave me an F on the semester final. 09. Uptight - nothing special. 10. Last Ride In - a lot of people don't get this song. Me neither, for that matter. However, it makes a nice transition song, and it's very relaxing to listen to when ur stressed. Prbably one of my favorites. 11. Jinx - not my favorite. 12. Haushinka - you know Billie Joe had to meet a girl with this name. It's just impossible to actually come up with such a believeably stupid name. Good song, too. 13. Walking Alone - not one of my favorites, but not one of my least favorites either. Simple guitar riff and good lyrics. 14. Reject - could've done more with this song than they did, but good anyway. 15. Take Back - punk at it's angriest. Awesome song. 16. King For A Day - don't like this song at all. Can't stang drag queens. 17. Good Riddance - legendary. Need I say more. 18. Prostetic Head - good closer, but not standout. // 10

Nimrod Reviewed by: UG Team, on november 12, 2012

Overall Impression: Wow. After albums like "Dookie" and "Insomniac" it doesn't seem that anything could get any better... but they have. Green Day's best album yet. It contributes to there punk side with songs like, "Nice guys finish last", "All the time" aw heck its all good. And it even has a sensitive side with songs like "Good riddance (Time of your life)", "Prosthetic head". I recomend this album to any one wanting a great cd. // 10

Nimrod Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Its hard for me to give an unbiased opinion on their sound, because i have reviewed 3 of GD's albums. I am a big fan of these guys, so i would have to say at least listen to this album if you dont know the Green Day sound already. It is pretty original, and this showcases them across the board. In all, its either raw & crunchy or overdriven power chords(depending on the song, not much switching) over Mikes sweet clean bass, with Billie Joe singing as he always does, and Tre pounding out the madd drum riffs. Thats about it. // 10

Lyrics: This album differs from the rest of the album, seeing as it is a little depressing. Some of the stuff is just weird. Like "King For a Day." Honestly, who sings about cross-dressers? I dont. But on the other hand, songs like "Worry Rock" have redeeming qualities which make Armstrong look like a f*ing philosopher. Singer skills? Why ask, you already know he can belt it out like none other. The Lyrics tie with the music incredibly, i wouldnt have believed it myself, just reading the lyrics, i couldnt see how they fit, but in the end its right... // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of Green Day's better albums, along with 1039/Smooth, Insomniac, Warning, Shananigans, Money Money 2020 by The Network(yes, Its them), Dookie, and International Superhits. Hell, buy em all, I did, and i am happy. Im not saying Green Day can bring eternal happieness, but well, actually, they can. Buy Nimrod. // 10

Nimrod Reviewed by: peacelover33, on november 12, 2012

Sound: The sound is great, I like how you can hear coards from past album and albums to come. Like Haushinka, some where in it you can hear the same tune from Aberican Idiot ether that or I'm just crazy. The bass fits in good with the vocals and the drums and everything. It's great! I would recomend it! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were the "my life sucks," depressed and worn out. Same as a lot of their albums but still wonderful! The song that really shows this is the grouch, I mean really! "Wasted youth and a fistful ideals, I had a young and optemistic point of veiw" and "The world owes me so f--k you!" is said after every verse. I love it. Billie Joe has a very uneque style of singing that is very simple and lazy but you still want to listen to it over and over again. // 10

Overall Impression: The style is very different from any other artist. Very simple and easly played, that's the point. My favorate songs are: Hitchin' A Ride, Platypus (I Hate You), Jinx, Take Back, King For A Day, and Prosthetic Head. I love the lazy kind of feel to it. Great to listen to while sitting around doing nothing. I don't hate anything about it but it's very similer to all of Green Day's albums. Yeah, if it were stolen I would defenatly buy a new one! Yes! It is worth buying! // 10

Nimrod Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: This was the seconed Green Day CD I'd gotten my first was american Idiot (don't be jugeing I got it beucase people were talking about them I wanted to hear and I loved the sound so I bought a couple of early albums this being the seconed). It's a good CD but not nearly close to American Idiot or there CD/DVD combo Bullet In A Bible, the first few songs were amazing, I really loved Nice Guys Finish Last, The Grouch, Redundant And Good Riddance (Time OF Your Life). The music styles very everything from very folky to very rawchy punk it's good but better green day LP's out there this would be the third best(would still be seconed had bullet in a bible not taken first and bumped American Idiot to seconed). // 6

Lyrics: Most of the songs Billie is muttering too much so I didn't get a good view of the lyrics unless it was a slower song or one ware the guitars were played at a lower volume. The lyrics compliance with the music was mediocer and sub-par could have been better but it's pretty close to what we hear from green day now but not as rwanchy. Billie's skill isn't exacly the best on this album, he was getting out of the very hard to hear vocals of Dookie, but not quite at the quality he is at now, at least they aren't singing about masturbation anymore. // 4

Overall Impression: It compairs better then International Superhits, Dookie, Kurplunk and 39/Smooth. The most impressive songs are for me Good Riddance, Nice Guys Finish Last, Redundant The Grouch and Platypus (I Hate You). I love that it is really Green Day's third best work, that it can compeate with american idiot yet blows there early works away, you can really see that Nimrod is the base for all of there newer works like Warning and American Idiot, I haven't heard Shinanagins so hence I can't use that as a messureing stick. If lost or stolen I'd cry my eyes out beucase my mom bought it for me as a christmas present a year ago (the one before the one that just passed) then I'd go down to HMV and guy it again. // 6

Nimrod Reviewed by: strawberry_cook, on november 12, 2012

Sound: This album is fantastic. Green Day are one of my favourite bands and this is my favourite Green Day album. Although it is less of a punk album than Insomniac or Dookie it still has a 'classic Green Day' feeling about it. Although the song riffs are simple, they are memorable- particuarly in Hitchin a Ride and Time of your life. The pace of the album is perfect- with the 18 songs lasting less than 50 minutes (I prefer short songs). Overall, the sound is perfect and well produced so I'd have to give it a 9. // 9

Lyrics: As you would expect, Billie Joe Armstrong's lyrics are faultless. There is a great selection of lyrics as the songs vary from the hilarious King for a Day which is about a cross-dresser to the more meaninful and melodic Time of your life. Billie Joe's vocals have also improved greatly since Insomniac and Mike Dirnt's backing vocals are great as well. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion, this is easily the best Green Day album. All 18 of the songs on it are worth listening to which is something you dont get on most albums. Even the instrumental Last Ride In is a great song! My favourite songs on it are Hitchin a Ride because of the main riff and because it's so uplifting and Time of your Life because the acoustic guitar sounds great with the vocals. There isn't really a fault, although if you prefer most songs to be more than 3 minutes then it isnt the album for you. If it was lost or stolen I would definitely replace it straight away because I couldn't imagine my CD collection without it. // 10

Nimrod Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Impressing, catchy, it still blows me away after having it for so long. I think they tried to have an album that stuck out among the others and this one is definantly it because of the expierimentation. They added so many different instruments and made some of the most awesome melodies, it's not even frickin funny. The sound overall is very comparable to Insomniac except (unlike Insomniac) instead of having dark melodies and dark lyrics (the most basic formula for Insomniac) it has a bit more poppy (although not as poppy as Dookie) melodies and deep, dark, lyrics. All I'm sayin is that if you listened to the CD then check out the lyrics like I did you're in for a HUGE surprise. I would describe the tone in this as an angry, frustrated, hopelessly hopeful, rash, and very intense cd.There are three songs on here that are unique in their own way being Take Back, Last Ride In, and King For A Day. Straight up slap you in the face, slit somebody's throat, look at me the wrong way and I'll spit on you, Sid Vicious attitude punk rock. I love it. In King For A Day Billie Joe sings about a cross-dresser, there is also a horn section in this song too, it's hillarious! In Last Ride In they play with some sort of jazz band and play this spy-sounding music there's no lyrics, but who cares it shows that they're talented musicians. In Take Back Billie sings about some sort fight he had, he screams the words "Take Back" for the chorus. I've heard lots'o'different opinions on the three, but I personally like them. It shows versatality. // 10

Lyrics: You can tell Billie Joe had a lot of mixed feelings during these sessions, just listen and heed the lyrics you'll see what I mean. This album was aimed at all their old friends back home who hated them when they signed to Reprise. They're try to get the message across that if you listened to them before Reprise happened and still like them just the same, then you're a true fan, but if you called them sell-outs and hated them for signing then they'll hate you back, but they'll still remember all the good times they had when they didn't fight with their old friends. Like I said earlier the melodies and instruments are somewhat a bit poppier than Insomniac, but the lyrics are deep and filled with hatred and anger. FYI: If you like the metaphoric and the "confused" lyrics of Insomniac, that's awesome because I do to, but Billie pretty much tells you straight up how he feels in this and dosen't beat around the bush and make you guess what he feels. The guitar remains tuned standard the whole album this is a record considering the fact that they played a half step down from Kerplunk to Insomniac. Mike Dirnt is the best bassist punk and most alternative music has ever seen because his tone and licks are unlike anything I've heard in all music. You gotta give Tre' Cool some regognition too because of the way he uses his cymbals and drum rolls to add to the mood of whatever song they're playing. Billie Joe's voice is like so unique and he sometimes reminds me of Johnny Rotten. I love how he snarls. Never say Billie Joe can't play guitar, even though like 80% of their songs use 3 chords, he make solos up in seconds in his mind, I've seen him do it live. He also demonstrates it in 1, 039 and Kerplunk so you can shut up or go listen to those 2 CDs if you think this way. The instruments really, I believe, serve as a sort of, in a way, setting and provide an overall mood in the songs. // 10

Overall Impression: I think they really had one in the bag here. Green Day is awesome being my 2nd fave band (Ramones all the way baby). The only albums that are better are Kerplunk (my fave) and Insomniac (my 2nd fave). Third for me definantly but when it comes to being unique, this record is numero uno. Album hot spots are Hitchin' A Ride, The Grouch, Scattered, Uptight, Jinx, Haushinka, Walking Alone and Reject. All love, no hatred at all towards this work of art. If some chump stole it, I would steal one of his favorite cds and get it back. If I lost I'd buy two more just in case I lost it again. You get wayyyyy more than you bargain for (there is 18 frickin tracks). If you're not alright and know it (like me). We should talk because we could get along great and go on cool road trips and make funny knock-knock jokes together and stuff. You'll really enjoy this record it was sort of like a stepping stone to me discovering who I am. I love Green Day, there are so many of their songs I've pretty much lived (if that makes sense) I can relate to evreything they sing about. If you're new and want some test material for Green Day, this is the perfect CD to get to know their sound. I can only hope my own punk trio, Baltic Ave (that's right, monopoly and Atlantic City Baltic Ave). // 10

Nimrod Reviewed by: greendayfan222, on november 12, 2012

Sound: This album is unique, a lot like any other Green Day album, in sound. It went with an approach to combine the happy moods of Dookie, the dark moods of Insomniac, and the serious side that they had never shown. It also still had it's punk elements, but they showed they are more than just slightly distorted guitars. For crying out loud, there is a harmonica on "Walking Alone". Billie Joe had some songs with clean guitar riffs, and we all know the famous acoustic ballad, "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)". Mike Dirnt continues to impress me and did a great job with bass on this album. He is easily one of the best bassists in punk, and like one of the guys above me said, alternative music. Tre Cool really works with the song for his drumming. His drumming seems to be perfectly playing off each song. Great job with this album for those three. // 10

Lyrics: The words in the lyrics have a deep and powerful meaning. Each song shows a different meaning. Billie Joe's vocals seem to match the mood set by the music and lyrics. I also believe that Mike Dirnt's backing vocals are more compatible than any other lead singer/back-up vocalist combination there is in music. Great songwriting, great singing. // 10

Overall Impression: Many people are judging Green Day based on American Idiot. Do not! This, Dookie, Insomniac, and the rest of their earlier albums are their best ones. I personally recommend this album more than any other Green Day album. Songs on here that I like is "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)", "Redundant", "Prosthetic Head," oh hell, I recommend the whole friggin album, all 18 songs! This is my favorite CD of all time. If this was stolen, I would maim that person. I would rebuy this CD in a heartbeat. // 10

Nimrod Reviewed by: Mr-Whirly, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Well, there's too much too say in one paragraph, so I guess it'd be easier to list down the pros and cons of each song: 01. Nice Guys Finish Last: this song is pretty cool and is catchy the first time you hear it, but after a while it seems overplayed, and the chorus gets repetitive. I gotta say the video was funny, especially when Tre randomly threw the table at the lockers. 8/10 02. Hitchin' A Ride: this song was spectacular. I think that the bass line, however simple it is, is ingenious, and carries the rhythm of the song well and you'll somehow find yourself bopping along to it. 9/10 03. The Grouch: ah, The Grouch! This one is my personal favourite. The lyrics are bloody witty and well-written and you can hear the disdain in Billie's voice as he rants about how he's 'turning out like his dad'. The whole thing is middle-age wrapped up in a big shiny package. 10/10! 04. Redundant: (are you guys sensing a pattern in Nimrod? Like all the great songs are at the front and back and the crap is sandwiched in the centre?) Anyway, this song was rather good and the lyrics were kinda sentimental (I love you's not enough, I'm lost for words)and it doesn't get boring even if you play it a billion times on your CD player- well actually none of the songs in Nimrod get boring besides for Last Ride In or something. 05. Scattered: this is another favourite, besides The Grouch. At first the intro seems really boring and like stereotypical Green Day, but then when it launches into the verse, it gets sad while the guitar parts are really upbeat, then it goes into the chorus which is even more beautiful. Did he write this about Adrienne? (I was just thinking, because the songs he writes about Adrienne are mostly pretty sweet, like Church on Sunday)10/10! 06. ALL THE TIME: this is one of the boring songs in Nimrod, one that I just can't get used to. I kind of try to listen to it over and over again, to find cool parts that I might have overlooked, but it just seems like music blaring. Sorry! 4/10. 07. Worry Rock: Worry Rock was, honestly, kind of average-ish. It's about as good as Nice Guys Finish Last, only not as repetitive. I don't get the lyrics, really. It's pretty obvious that it's about love, and it's bad somehow, but other than that I can't interpret it. 8.5/10 08. Platypus (I Hate You): without doubt, the BEST hate song I've heard (that's not metal, at least). You can feel the emotion while it's sung by an irate Billie, and I think 'waste of semen' is an awesome insult. 10/10 09. Uptight: I'm sorry, I just CAN'T STAND THIS. I've heard worse music, trust me, but this is not what I expected from Green Day. It's um, pretty emo? Sorry I had to resort to using that dastardly term but it's true. 3/10 10. Last Ride In: it was interesting the first time I listened to it but then it got boring and when I put my iPod on shuffle now, I just skip it. There's no point in listening to it if it kind of, you know, sucks? 3/10 11, 12. Jinx, Haushinka: I just couldn't stand either of these songs so I decided to group them together and not waste time. 3/10, 4/10. 13. Walking Alone: FINALLY! A decent song amongst all that filler crap. This song was cute, what with the harmonicas and catchy tune. But the lyrics were pretty lame. 'Come together like a foot in a shoe, only this time I think I stuck my foot in my mouth'.?!?!? Like, what? 8/10 14. Reject: I just loved the story behind this song. According to Wikipedia, "Reject" came from an incident where a boy received Green Day's previous album, Insomniac for his eighth birthday from his grandma. The boy started singing Green Day's songs (with explicit lyrics), and his mother got angry and wrote a complaint letter to Armstrong; Armstrong wrote an actual letter back to her, and this song was based on his response. Like, can you say MAJOR OWNAGE? What an arse of a woman. (I am female too, despite my username, I still think that she's a 'reject All-American'. HEY I just realized that if you switch that phrase around, it becomes All American Rejects... okay never mind.) 9/10. 15. Take Back: this is another angry song, and it's really hardcore- I've never heard Billie do screamo before. It's something new, but it's still pretty cool. 9/10. 16. King For A Day: I know people have mixed feelings about this song, but personally I think it's fantastic. Billie shows his ready wit again in the lyrics and the added brass instruments are welcome. I wouldn't mind more of this in Green Day. (Just don't go overboard)10/10! 17. Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life): everyone loves this song, admit it, who doesn't? It's just impossible not to, everything is so mellow and greatly different from what Green Day's ever done but the picking is so PERFECT. It's overwhelming. 10/10. 18. Prosthetic Head: I like the message in this song- against plastic surgery- but it too gets boring after you play it about twenty times? It's still good the first few times(of course, Green Day wrote it!) though, so it gets an 8/10. Alright, there was some shit on this record but the good stuff outweighs the bad infinitely! // 9

Lyrics: THANK GOD Tre didn't write any songs on this album, since Tre's writing skills are um... kind of unsatisfactory and would probably drag this album down even more. I apologize, Tre, I don't really have anything against you, just that you're a bit cuckoo and I think that affects your songwriting. ANYWAY, the lyrics are pretty good, like, if it's a hate song, you feel the hate in the lyrics, if it's about a cross-dresser, you can form the images in your head well, and even the more loser-ish songs have great lyrics (It's just the melodies that kill it). Way to go Billie! ALSO, for the singer skills thing, I never doubted Billie's singing skills, he has a unique voice that probably makes women (and men) swoon, it just FITS this sort of music. // 10

Overall Impression: My favourite songs from Nimrod would have to be The Grouch, Scattered and Walking Alone. These all are great to sing to and have some sort of story/theme behind them, which is cool. Green Day Albums(Best to Worst): Kerplunk Warning Nimrod Dookie(It'd be first if it were better produced) 1039/Smoothed out Slappy Hours American Idiot 21st Century Breakdown If Nimrod was stolen, I'd track down the idiot who stole it and skin him head-to-toe. Then I'd go to the store and buy five more copies. Not that it'd be stolen anyway, since I make sure to lock it away somewhere secret in my house. // 9

More Green Day reviews rating latest review