Shenanigans Review

green day: Shenanigans
Released: Jul 2, 2002
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Punk Revival, Punk-Pop
Shenanigans is the companion piece to 2001's International Superhits.
 7.6
 8.1
 7.1
Shenanigans Reviewed by: ohdarn323, on november 12, 2012

Sound: By using typical punk/pop-punk sound, Billie Joe Armstrong and Green Day have produced an excellent album with catchy riffs and lyrics. Maybe it's just me, but I love Billie Joe's voice, and the lyrics in some of the songs ("Suffocate", "You Lied", "Scumbag", "Rotting", etc.) are very uncliche and genius. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics on many of the original songs were excellent. Billie Joe's voice simply adds more "completeness" to the songs, and they mix perfectly with the music. // 8

Overall Impression: In comparison to albums like Dookie, 1,039 Smoothed, and Kerplunk! this album isn't one to brag about, but it is still Green Day, which means great music. I'm highly anticipating the release of their next album. // 8

Shenanigans Reviewed by: corey182__, on november 12, 2012

Sound: The sound was normal Green Day style. All pop-punk. I'm not sayin thats bad, but with a new Green Day album, you mostly know that it's going to be punk rock. The instrumental of Espionage was great. It reminded me of James Bond. And the different style, which I can't really come up with a name for it, on Rotting was interesting. // 8

Lyrics: Of course Billie Jo has the coolest voice. But on this album, the lyrics were a little disappointing. I guess what I didnt like was how repetitive Outsider was but I guess it were cover song of the Ramones and not Billie Jo's writing. A good song, just the repetitiveness got annoying after a while. // 8

Overall Impression: It wasn't the best Green Day album, but it was a great CD. I thought the best songs on the album were the instrumental, Espionage, a more classic punk sound on Sick of Me and Scumbag. The thing I hated the most, was that they didn't put Dui on it, which is a hilarious song. If your a Green Day fan, this is probably an album to add to your collection, but if your wanting to buy an album to see if you like Green Day, this isn't the one to buy. But its definetly a good album. // 10

Shenanigans Reviewed by: ElectricParade, on november 12, 2012

Sound: To many long-time Green Day fans, after the release of Warning in 200o, maybe there wasn't a lot to be expected from the 2002 release of Shenanigans. After hearing International Superhits!, and knowing that Shenanigans was its "partner" release, I can't say I expected a ton myself. And to my minor disappointment, my doubts came true. Though Green Day seems to shine even through their crappiest songs, however, so the music was likeable. Shenanigans relies heavily on power chords and melodic little solos, as well as providing an upbeat, (dare I say it?) pop-ish sound to round out this short, 12-track release. Songs like "Ha Ha, You're Dead" put a modern spin on the band's distinctive post-grunge pseudopunk sound, "Don't Wanna Fall in Love" has a tempo and guitar melody not to be expected from Green Day, and "Espionage" provides us with a good old fashioned spy music spoof. After a while, though diverse (as always), the music tends to get a little boring, so I have to rate it a 4. // 8

Lyrics: One thing that I noticed immediately upon my first listening to Shenanigans is Billie Joe Armstrong's lack of vocal and lyrical enthusiasm. This is largely what makes Green Day my favorite band. After listening to such albums as Insomniac, I was disappointed at lines like, "I'm desenisitized/Wanna watch a bomb/Blow the masses high", and the like. Though the lyrics seem to contain many of the same messages as previous albums, they seem to be (unusually) blatant and less poetic/creative than normal. I must also mention the vocals. billie Joe seems to be far less "into" many of the songs, causing most of them to lack in terms of emotional connection. But as always, he is a very, very talented vocalist, and there are a few times on the album where sloppy writing can be overlooked. // 8

Overall Impression: If I had to pick, Shenanigans would probably rank as my least favorite of Green Day's albums. Unlike Insomniac or Dookie (or any of them), I can't say that I like all the songs on it ("Outsider" and "Tired of Waiting" are wastes of space in my opinion), but some songs ("You Lied", "I Want to Be On TV", and "On the Wagon", most namely) really lend themselves to make this album likeable. If I lost it, unless I really missed some of the songs (which I probably would), I might not pick it up again, because I need to replace my practically destroyed copy of Insomniac :). It is worth buying, for my fellow hardcore Green day fans, but if you are looking for their best work, get Insomniac, or maybe Dookie or Kerplunk!. Overall, 4/5. Certainly not their greatest, but likeable nonetheless. // 8

Shenanigans Reviewed by: luckyseventeen, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Shenanigans was released as a partner with International Superhits, and by far I think it had a very unique sound to it. They had very fast upbeat power chords, and songs with a completely different tempo than expected. It sounded a bit more sloppy than usual, and it did get repetitive, but this album is still great to listen to. Billie Joe's voice was distinctly different, or it may only be me who thinks that, but I think it worked out well for him, and it sounded right with the album. Overall, the sound was good, but was leaning to the pop-punk side. // 9

Lyrics: First of all, I think Billie Joe has an amazing talent for writing lyrics, and an amazing voice. However, for this album I think half of the songs had fantastic lyrics, but there were a few that seemed sloppy and lacking of the usual energy Green Day has that has brought them to where they are now. The impression the lyrics left me wasn't the greatest, but it is still quite good. // 8

Overall Impression: I liked this album, and a few songs have wound up into my favorites list (Suffocate, Sick Of Me, Haha Your Dead). I didn't quite like the lack of enthusiasm the album brought, but the heavy power chords made the album stand out a bit, and it didn't recieve as much credit as it should have in my opinion. If I lost it, or had it stolen, I'd most likely buy it again because some of the songs really stick out in your mind. Really, not that bad of an album, just not my favorite. // 8

More Green Day reviews rating latest review