Warning Review

8.6
 9.4
 7.7
Warning Reviewed by: SuperAnalytical, on november 12, 2012

Sound: From Dookie, to 2001's Warning, Green Day has changed rapidly in sound and are becoming a variety of genres all wrapped in one nice band. The music on this album is much more folky with punk instances at times. This mix proves to be a nice departure from songs about masturbation. I enjoyed the use of mandolins throughout the album in songs like Blood, Sex, And Booze. It created a nice border between straight ahead guitar riffs and floating, high pitched mandolin. Folk and Punk mix well throughout this great CD. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are interesting and far from the lyrics of old about masturbation. The lyrics fit well with the music and there's also a sense of poppiness in the album as well as folk and punk. The lyrics seem to be just going through a story with most of the songs or of a person. Billie Joe sounds great on this ablum. He doesn't sound as nasally or immature. Great lyrics overall, and Billie Joe is great vocally. // 9

Overall Impression: I have no albums to compare this to, for it is so unique in sound. It's a great CD on all ends and any style played is great. I love that it is so different from anything else that was coming out at the time, but maybe it was too different for some. I would definately seek out the person who stole it and make them give it back, because this was my first CD that I owned. This is a great album, most might not agree, but I think this is Green Day's best album. // 10

Warning Reviewed by: f117_nighthawk, on november 12, 2012

Sound: The sound on this album is excellent. They use different instruments to provide the mood for different songs. In "Misery" they use a farfisa to provide the feel for the depression and lonliness they sing about in the song. They use also in some songs a harmonica and accordion to boost the interest on the song and to get you to fully understand what they are feeling. The sound on this album is great. // 10

Lyrics: As everyone knows Billy Joe is an exceptional sound writer and this album is no exception. In "Misery" and "Castaway" he talks about lonliness and misery, of one being by themselves and it blends in and meshes perfectly with the instruments such as the farfisa that they use in their songs. Billy Joe is a great singer and from his singing it helps to fully get a feel for the song and his voice is very catchy.The lyrics are superb. // 10

Overall Impression: This may not rank up to being in the best of Green Day's albums but it is definately worth buying, and it has alot of great songs on it like "minority". The most impressive songs are " Minority", " Church on Sunday", "Warning" and "Misery" These are some of the more famous ones as ALL the songs are good and it is difficult to pinpoint a few. I love the lyrics and Billy Joe's singing. I also love the fact that they do not saty restricted to only guitars, drums and bass, but they expand to other instruments as well, as in "Hold On" If it was stolen I would definatrely buy it again. This is a great album, go out and buy it! // 10

Warning Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: If my band (NSS) could make power chords sound this good, we would have no trouble selling records. I dont know how they do it, but repetitively, these guys make it work. With the simplest of guitar knowledge and a crunchy stack, you can easily recreate this sound. I wish more bands would sound like this. // 10

Lyrics: I dont know anyone who could have connected Misery as a story better than Billie did. There are some parts that are hard to follow: "If i promise (to) go to church on sunday, Will you go with me on friday night?" Seriously I have no idea what he's talking about, but that doesnt keep it from being my second favorite GD song. Minority, well, its just crazy enough to call it classic Green Day. There is nothing special about these lyrics. There is better songwriting out there by BJ, you just have to listen. The lyricism is par. // 8

Overall Impression: I do believe this album may be cursed, because i have bought it, lost it, burned a copy (dont tell!), lost that one, and bought another copy. I am keeping good tabs on this one though. Needless to say, i love this album, and it only gets replaced in my player for 1039/SOSH and International Superhits(which are both better than this album). There is nothing really innovative about this album, but its a good one to have to get the real feel of Tre, Billie, and Mike. NSS... // 10

Warning Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: A short-lived new direction for Californian Pop-Punk giants Green Day, "Warning" was the only release from the band to experiment with elements of folk. It is also one of their most overlooked and ignored records. Green Day, at this point, clearly wanted a new sound. After "Warning", "American Idiot" came out. They had always been a little poppy in previous albums, but AI completely embraced an all-out Pop-Punk sound, with song structures almost turning out progressive. They continued this with their next release, but I think they should have given the themes and traits present on "Warning" another go. With the opening riff of the title track, you can tell this is going to be different than fans of "Dookie" and "Nimrod" are used to. But as we continue on to Church On Sunday and Castaway, it's very clear that we haven't lost them completely. The classic elements of an amazing Green Day song are right there beneath the folk-punk experimentation. On "Church On Sunday", we get a mixed intro, but by the chorus we get the harmony of a classic Green Day tune. "Castaway" is one of the only songs that have almost pure Punk sound, not only on "Warning" but in Green Day's discography. // 9

Lyrics: While the sound has changed, the lyrics on this album are spot on to the classics, and at the same time what would begin a new ongoing theme for the band. Some songs are about love and relationships, some subtly criticizing social aspects such as government and religion. He's a victim of his own time, in his "vintage suit" and tie, he's casualty dressed to the teeth in the latest genocide from "Fashion Victim" has a very clear political/working class theme, which would become common for them on the next two albums. Then there's If I got to church on Sunday, will you come home with me Friday night? When it comes to the lyrics on this album, the blend of new and old is great. Another reason why I believe they should have stuck with this. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this album was a great effort, very well done and written, and something they should throw back to in the future. Whether they follow the success of "AI" and "21CB" with another Pop-Punk concept album, or try something totally new like they did transitioning from "Nimrod" to this, I'm sure Green Day has left a huge legacy to all music and they're going to be around for a long time. // 9

Warning Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: It's much quiter than all their earlier releases. They use alot of acoustic guitars, and try some other instruments on a few songs like, like a saxaphone, harmonica, mandolin, and accordian. The guitars seem almost entirely clean, or just quieter. They had a lot less power chords on this than any other cd, more regular, basic chords (still no great solos). They really advanced on this CD and opened up to modern rock instead of just pop punk. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this CD were amazing for me. Billie Joe has an amazing voice, and wrote extremely mature lyrics that stick in your head. It can be a little hard to understand what he's saying at times though. Songs like "Hold on, Macy's Day Parade, and deadbeat holiday" had the most mature lyrics I've ever heard from them. Don't worry, the old Green Day hasn't gone anywhere, as you can see with "Blood Sex And Booze" which is a classic goofy green day song about "the kinky stuff." Definatly Billie Joe's best writing ever was on this CD. // 10

Overall Impression: This is close to pop-rock, but still a lot of pop punk left in it. The hightlights of the CD are Macy's Day Parade (a beautiful acoustic song), and Minority (a classic Green Day loud rockin song). They were able to experiment without changing their style, or losing that loud power chord sound that fans love. It's a CD I like to listen to when I'm feeling really emotional, or down. Great lyrics that make you think, even solve some of your problems. I would compare it to American Hi-Fi's new CD "Hearts On Parade," with the same mello rock sound. Great CD, some of thier best, mature work. // 10

Warning Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2012

Sound: This album, unlike the hardcore punk distortion of most of Green Day's previous albums, has more of a folk, acoustic sound. With the title track, "Warning," which questions all the pointless rules in society, to the motivational anti-suicide song "Hold On," there is a nice flow from song to song. Green Day doesn't disappoint on the punk side, however, with the rather halarious "Blood, Sex, And Booze," and one of Green Day's greatest hits, "Minority." After "Good Riddance" on the Nimrod album, Billy Joe tried something similar with a song called Macy's Day Parade. A soft melodic theme which sings about greed and such. My only complaint is that some of these songs sound repetitive. There is very little that distinquishes some of these songs like "Castaway," and "Deadbeat Holiday." However some of the wierd variation in style from Nimrod has carried over in the song "Misery," using an accordian and giving off a rather renaissance, gothic, up-beat, polka-like, haunted house in Russia or Germany or something. That is seriously what that song reminded me of. Nontheless. most of the songs on this album are pretty fun to listen to. My paticular favorites are "Minority," "Warning," "Church On Sunday," and "Macy's Day Parade." However, I do enjoy the rest of the songs on Warning. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album seem much more rebellious than previous album. For example "Warning." This song questions the pointless rules that are there to "protect" us and that we should just once ignore these rules. "Minority" expresses the need to be different from everyone else, "Fashion Victim" is similar and jokes at people who just follow trends without any real personal opinion on themselves. Songs like "Misery" and "Blood, Sex And Booze" show the bands willingness to be completely out there and to just be different. However, the inspiring "Hold On" tries to talk to people about suicide and such which is nice, however the song seems too up-beat, but nontheless it is played well. Unfortunately Billy Joe sounds the same in most of these songs which can make them hard to distinquish, however these songs are enjoyable nontheless and if you just have it on background noise, it doesn't really matter because the up-beat and light-hearted attitude seems to keep you awake, while you may need to rock out when you hear "Minority." // 10

Overall Impression: You can tell Billy Joe tried to be rather different with this album. He seems to truly express his love for his acoustic and experiments with his harmonica, as well as the saxaphone, accordian and other instruments. Tre Cool continues with his simple but fun drum lines which fit the up-beat folk style of the instrumentals rather well. Overall I say this another one of Green Day's greatest. If you aren't a fan of punk rock or anything, at least check out acouple songs on this because many of these hits are very addictive! // 10

Warning Reviewed by: aMeRiCaNsTrAt21, on november 12, 2012

Sound: It's much quiter than all their earlier releases. They use alot of acoustic guitars, and try some other instruments on a few songs like, like a saxaphone, harmonica, mandolin, and accordian. The guitars seem almost entirely clean, or just quieter. They had a lot less power chords on this than any other cd, more regular, basic chords (still no great solos). They really advanced on this CD and opened up to modern rock instead of just pop punk. The only thing I dont like about greendays sound is the fact that they're guitar playing isnt fun to play by itself.. but that's just me. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this CD were amazing for me. Billie Joe has an amazing voice, and wrote extremely mature lyrics that stick in your head. It can be a little hard to understand what he's saying at times though. Songs like "Hold on, Macy's day parade, and deadbeat holiday" had the most mature lyrics I've ever heard from them. Billie Joe did a lot of his best lyrics in this album I think. // 10

Overall Impression: This is close to pop-rock, but still a lot of pop punk left in it. The songs I like the most on the CD are Macy's Day Parade and Minority. They were able to experiment without changing their style, or losing that loud power chord sound that fans love. It's a CD I like to listen to when I'm feeling really emotional, or down. Great lyrics that make you think, even solve some of your problems. I would compare it to American Hi-Fi's new CD "Hearts On Parade," with the same mello rock sound. I love this CD probably my fav. // 10

Warning Reviewed by: boyan89, on november 12, 2012

Sound: The sound on this album flabbergasted me I mean there is way more acoustic in this which I like because I have been looking for good acousitc songs to play and when I heard this album I thought bingo. Their earlier and newer stuff is still much better. I would have 2 say I like the fact that they use a lot more mix in this album like one song would be electric then the next electric and then the next electric-acoustic guitars. The overall impression from the sound surprised me like a lot I thought it would all be all overdrive and crazy big ass solos but no the only song like that is Minority which is a kick ass song by the way. So yah sound was really surpirising. This album has some kick ass bass lines 2 like Warning and Minority. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics really surprised me too because Billie sounds more softer in this album since some songs are all soft and then the rest are funny goofy ones. But most are soft. The funniest lyrics would have 2 be Minority, Misery and Blood Sex And Booze. The softer lyrics side would have to be for Waiting, Church On Sunday and Hold On. The hard ones are probaby Castaway and Minority. // 10

Overall Impression: The most impressive songs on this album are Warning, Blood Sex And Booze, Castaway, Misery, Jackass, Minority and Deadbeat Holiday. I love the fact as I mentioned that they use more acoustic in this album since I dont have an electric. The thing I hate though is that their is only like 3 songs on overdrive and that is Minority, Castaway and Fashion Victom. If it was stolen I would buy it again or just beat the other person up. // 10

Warning Reviewed by: livinginmisery, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Ok this isn't Green Day's best CD, but it's definitely the most ambitious. I'm not sure I wouldve had the guts to do an acoustic album with Green Day's situation. But they did, and the result was fantastic. Why some of these albums haven't sold more is a mystery to me. The sound of this CD is very acoustic. I like the weird instruments like the fanfisa in Misery. There's no other rock CD like this one. It is one of a kind. The reason I give it a 9 is I'm not exactly the biggest fan of acoustics, which is why I listen to rock and punk and metal and shit like that. The best song musically, Misery. The worst, Hold On. // 9

Lyrics: This CD was the warmup to the politically-charged lyrics of American Idiot. Of course there's the occasional song about abusive gfs and selling drugs, but by now that was expected. The political message in Minority and Macy's Day Parade are 110% true. Here the album shines. However, I have to give it a 9 because of Hold On and Church on Sunday. DIdn't do it for me. // 9

Overall Impression: OK, here's where I describe my impression of every song and rate them. Then I combine them and get my impression rating. Every 10+ cancels out the lowest rated song. // 9

Warning Reviewed by: willi287, on november 12, 2012

Sound: Warning is the 6th album by Green Day, and sadly represents the lowest slump in the bands commercial history, with the only album of theirs selling less being their very first record 39/Smooth. I say sadly, because it is a damn shame that such a solid and focused album went by un-noticed. If I was to compile a list of under-appreciated gems, this record would be right up there. Warning and Blood Sex and Booze are a pair of fantastic pop rock songs which starts the record with a distinctly jaunty and different mood to previous releases. It is notably less punk' influenced than previous releases in the sense that the guitars aren't over distorted and the drums aren't fast generic beats. With Warning It's almost like the band is directly telling listeners that Yes, this isn't what you're used to hearing from us, so here is a heads up! Another thing to note about this album is that it can be very well described as an experimental album. The number of instruments present on this album is quite staggering, including Mandolins, Harmonicas, keyboard synths, Strings and Accordions, just to name a few. For some people this experimental edge may seem gimmicky, but to me it makes the album all the more brilliant, mainly because it works! Songs like Jackass and Hold On simply wouldn't even be half as good without all these instruments on. Plus the brilliant Misery - a hauntingly bouncy track - simply wouldn't exist. Stand out tracks on the album are definitely the trio of Church on Sunday, Deadbeat Holiday and Macy's Day parade. Church on Sunday is perhaps one of the catchiest and solid rock songs I've heard, and the addition of an organ during the closing passages just adds that edge of grandeur and drama to it that makes it great. Deadbeat Holiday has a verse melody that's so infectious, it's no wonder why Green Day themselves decided to recycle it for the track American Eulogy in their latest record 21st Century Breakdown, hoping no one would notice. Lastly, Macy's Day Parade takes the slow formula of Nimrod's famous Good Riddance and tops it in many ways. The strings, the beautifully simple guitar and the chilling singing results in a track that for me is a career highlight. I can't help but think that if this album was more commercially successful, it would blow the pants off of Good Riddance in popularity. However that's not to say the album is not without its flaws. One of the few well known tracks Minority beats a tired loud soft loud soft formula to death. Don't get me wrong, It's a solid enough song, but it soon over stays its welcome with the excessive repetition of passages. Fashion Victim is another low point, it just simply doesn't stand out, and sounds like a filler. // 9

Lyrics: One thing you can't deny about Billie Joe Armstrong is that he is quite the lyricist. Before he started rhyming everything with the words broken glass', gasoline' and cigarettes' in later records, this one shows a writer maturing and filling into his boots. Highlights includes Church on Sunday and Macy's Day parade (again), which aren't too generic or overtly pretentious, it is just simply good thoughtful stuff. Warning and Waiting are also good show cases of thoughtful lyrics. Granted, some of the lyrics (Hold On, Castaway) are a bit standard in the context of the album. It's not that they are awful; they just seem lazy compared to some of the thought and effort instilled into the rest of the tracks. // 8

Overall Impression: Ok, so it isn't perfect (After all, few albums are). But it does fulfill the musical capabilities that the band hinted at with their last record Nimrod, and improves upon it in every way. I can't explain why this album bombed so badly, maybe it was bad timing of release or fans couldn't stomach the change, I don't know. But if you've missed it due to bad word of mouth, or any other reason, then do give it a chance. Because I assure you, you'll find a great solid rock record that is one of the, if not the very best record of the bands illustrious career. // 8

More Green Day reviews rating latest review