Easy Review

grinspoon: Easy
Release Date: Nov 15, 1999
Label: Universal
Genres: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal
1999 album for Aussie alternative metal act. 15 tracks including, 'American Party Bomb', 'Ready I', 'Undercover', 'Tang' & the hidden track, 'That Guys A Fuckwit'.
 8.3
 7.3
 9.3
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Easy Reviewed by: Skullmage4, on april 12, 2007

Sound: Easy is a great Grinspoon album. The overall sound is amazing especially when turned up really loud. The guitar is heavily distorted, the drums are massive, the whole sound is really brutal, hard and great. There are a few problems with the sound in some places though, i.e. in some songs the bass guitar is hard to hear. And on the last song Dial Tone the song is 9 minutes long! There is five minutes of silence at the end of the four minute song for some reason! It is really annoying! And track 15 is 4 seconds long with no sound. A joke? I hope not, because it's not funny! Overall although this album dosent really add much new to rock the way 'American idiot' reinvented the rock opera and 'The Black Parade' took music in a theatrical direction, Grinspoon's sound is great on this CD if you're not expecting a revolution. It's just a shame it stays pretty much the same the whole way through. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't overly deep and you wouldn't listen to this album for emotion other than anger and craziness. Sometimes the lyrics are angry (I don't need it, your f--king shit, Still at the end, better off dead), and sometimes downright mad (Yarni marni, oh yarni marni what's it all supposed to f--king mean now?) but there is not one song that I would listen to for good lyrics. The words do fit with the sound though, and in songs such as Ordinary and Ready One, the lyrics are just fun. Phil, Grinspoons lead singer is a great singer, an even better screamer and his voice fits well with the music. // 6

Overall Impression: It is not a revoulutionary album. But it certainly sounds good. The most impressive songs are the brilliant but short American Party Bomb, the heavy Better Off Dead, and the awesome Signpost. I love the distorted guitars and belting drums that sound awesome together. But I don't like the way that it gets quite old too fast and is too short. If it were stolen or lost I might buy it again but I'd most likely get the album "Guide To Better Living" by Grinspoon because it is heavier and newer and the sound isnt so similiar to other stuff. One of Grinspoon's finest hours. // 8

More Grinspoon reviews rating latest review
+ Alibies & Other Lies 8.9 08/01/2007