Sound Soldiers Review

9.2
 9.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Sound Soldiers Reviewed by: RocknRory, on august 18, 2011

Sound: I was immediately blown away by this band's sound and the music itself. Grvis Malt has successfully fused Jazz, Funk, Hip-Hop, and alternative rock. I can't stop listening to this unique groovy sound they've made. The vocal raps and soulful singing really carries the instrumentals which would be clearly good enough by there self. The bass is very present and carries the groove, the guitar and the keyboard add jazzy and funky flows, while the drums hold the rhythm incredibly well. The DJ and the horns also add a unique element. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics definitely have their own style with the interchanging of raps and singing. They have balanced both quite well and it flows with the music, adding another layer of texture. Both singings have skills that make them sound perfect for this kind of music. "She's a solo kind of gil with 1000 different guys I want to be the one but I'm 999." "With her it's always 12:00 a.m. and if she ditched me for a dork could I even try to slay them? No way I'm played out like a Sony Playstation my body's hard at work but my mind is on vacation so right now I'm as weak as the shrimp in the sea I rewrote my lyrics so that I could sing this stupid part." -"Ninja Goon" // 8

Overall Impression: This band and album really doesn't compare precisely to any other artist or album that I know of. I think this band definitely has a Mr. Bungle Influence, and perhaps Incubus because they toured with them for a while I believe. Whatever Grvis Malt has done, it clearly works and I've been listening to this album over and over and over again. It's too bad they disbanded in 2007. They never tried to gain popularity and join a major label. They are truly a diamond in the rough. // 10

Comments