Appetite For Destruction Review

artist: guns n roses date: 06/01/2012 category: compact discs
guns n roses: Appetite For Destruction
Released: 1987
Genre: Rock
Tones: Bleak, Visceral, Rebellious, Aggressive, Reckless, Malevolent, Rowdy, Brash, Nihilistic, Ominous, Menacing, Harsh, Irreverent
Styles: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal
Number Of Track: 12
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.6
 9.6
 9.5
Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 08, 2004

Sound: I think this album has the best heavy metal sound of any album before and since its release in 1987. Slash and Izzy's interlocking guitar parts make the sound crisp and clean and it also makes it sound raw, aggessive, and reckless. And not to mention the kick azzz solos by slash. The sound on this album just seems to fit perfectly with the lyrics but, I myself being a guitar player, would buy this CD just to listen to the guitar riffs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are truely heavy metal lyrics. They range from the wierd cocaine driven lyrics of Mr. Brownstone to the kick ass lyrics in Sweet Child O' Mine. I think Axl Rose deserves a round of applause for these lyrics because they clearly defined 80's Rock n' Roll. An Axl's voice is like no other no one would have been able to pull the things he did on this album his voice and lyrics along with Slash's amazing guitar parts made this album what it is. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this album is at the top of the charts with Mettalica's Black album and AC/DC's Back in Black. The best songs on this Album are Paradise City, Welcome to the Jungle, Sweet Child O' Mine, and Rocket Queen. The rest of the songs are awsome as well though. I love the solos and the Power chord riffs in this album but my only complaint is the song Think about You. It is kinda a too "mushy" of a song. This CD is well worth paying 20 bucks for unlike the new shit today. If you like this CD, I would suggest any album by Metallica, AC/DC, Def Leppard, Aerosmith, or any other G N' R CD. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: BFMV_OWN, on october 01, 2007

Sound: Guns N Roses sound is uniqu and amazing. Their Appetite For Destruction album is by far their best with great songs one after another. It kicks off with 'Welcome To The Jungle' one of their most popular songs about L.A. rock and roll underground. Then there's My Michelle, Think About You, You're Crazy, Rocket Queen, and Sweet Child O' Mine all about their girlfriends. Sweet Child O' Mine is probably their most popular song, with great vocals, and a legendary solo from Slash. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great additions to the music. Axl has a very unique voice and has helped the band escelate to the level they are now, playing sold-out shows in stadiums. His voice goes perfectly with the music and is amazing. They have many songs about different things like girlfreinds, playing live, and getting wasted. // 10

Overall Impression: It is GNR's best album in their career with all the original members and has amazing song after another. The best songs on the album are 'Sweet Child O' Mine', 'Nightrain', 'Welcome To he Jungle', and 'Its So Easy'. This album is their most successfull and sold over 26 million copies in the world. If it were stolen or lost I would definitely replace it. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: Abe, on november 10, 2003

Sound: This album sounds so raw and agressive its unbelievable. Lots of distortion and power chord riffs and absolutely kick ass solos. The intros to Welcome to the Jungle, Out ta Get Me and the climax of Paradise City stick in my mind as amazing guitar parts. This partnered with one of the greatest frontmen of all time makes for an excellent sounding album. // 10

Lyrics: Overall the lyrics, and the way Axl delivers em, are good. Just from his pronunciation of the word f**k you can tell he means everything he says. There are occasions where the rhyme seems a little forced but can be overlooked as it is only minor. // 8

Overall Impression: Listening to tracks 4,5 and 6 in order is bliss. However My Michelle and Think About You, which follow straight after, are not as strong. However every song on the album is good at least. This is little short of a masterpiece. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 03, 2004

Sound: This album sounds like the band have distilled the best bits of hard rock influences (AC/DC, Aerosmith, Rolling Stones) into on lean two guitar attack and it works brilliantly. Much is made of Slash's awesome lead playing, his solos are some of the most melodic around, but the main feature of the sound is the interplay between Slash's and Izzy's parts giving the sound depth and making it sound huge!! The sound was also hugely influential in bringing blues based hard rock back into favour instead of the boring 'the faster the better' attitude of hair metal bands. // 10

Lyrics: Axl's lyrics effectively convey the unravelling of the American Dream in the big city. The lyrics aren't poetry but are all the better for it, no artistic pretentiousness here (see Use Your Illusion), just the stark reality as he sees it. Axl's voice may be an acquired taste but works perfectly when singing about the album's subject matter, sex, drugs, paranoia and how shit life is in the city. The lower vocals on It's So Easy particularly enhance the effectiveness of the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This album blows away just about any other hard rock album of the 80s (with the posible exception of Back In Black) and possibly ever. The most impressive songs are the awesome Paradise City, Sweet Child O' Mine, and Rocket Queen but the songs which best convey the bands attitude and state of mind are Out Ta Get Me and It's So Easy, they're paranoid and nihilistic and out for everything they can get. This is definitely one of the best album's I own and there's no better album to turn up to maximum volume and get blown away by. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: milleniumsux, on april 26, 2005

Sound: Dirty rock n roll with sreaming lead vocals with angry lyrics about getting drunk and fighting, shredding guitars espcially from the that is Slash, pounding bass from the amazing Duff and hard n heavy drumming from the best GN'R drummer Steven Adler. // 10

Lyrics: Some of the catchiest lyrics ever which can be proven through such timeless classics as paradise city and nightrain. But also some of the angriest lyrics also which is what an amazing hard rock band needs this is shown on songs like My Michelle and It's So Easy. // 10

Overall Impression: All of the songs are f--king amazing. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 19, 2006

Sound: One of the greatest bands ever assembled this album captures tales of big city fears to drug use to just having a good time. The album was recorded in between GN'Rs party schedule so it took a long time. The rhythm has Izzy Stradlin's distorted power chords. The drummer Steven Adler is nothing special especially compared to Matt Sorum. Duff McKagan wrenches out some of the best bass lines ever and lots of good lead bass parts (Sweet Child O' Mine). Slash one of the greatest guitarists ever is well expressed on the album. The band really corresponds well together. The GN'R style mixes Blues with Hard Rock, Punk and a Metal edge. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics make sense. One of the best lyrical songs is Sweet Child O' Mine but Welcome to the Jungle is good too. Other than the 4 singles (Jungle, Sweet Child, Paradise City, Nightrain) every song features some form of swearing usually the f word. Axl Rose one of the greatest lead men ever. Known for the screech (Welcome to the Jungle) this is not the best example of his ability. He's best live. Still one of the best vocalists for his type of music. // 10

Overall Impression: One of two albums (Nirvana's Nevermind) to sound the death toll of hair/glam metal (thank god). If you hate glam metal listen to this album. This album dishes out the hits and the obscene anthems. If you buy this album make sure to get it uncensored. If it were stolen or lost I would buy it again. Here's an overview. 01. Welcome To The Jungle - the legendary arena anthem about big city dealers. Based on a true story according to Axl Rose. In the Top 5 in terms of Slash's guitar work. 02. It's So Easy - full of obscenities features a catchy opening bassline and an awesome guitar riff. 03. Nightrain - a song about late night life. A very innuendoy song. 04. Out Ta Get Me - one of the songs put on the album to show off Axl's willingness to swear. A low point to the album. 05. Mr. Brownstone - features and intro similar to that of Welcome to the Jungle. This song talks about dancin' with Mr. Brownstone. 06. Paradise City - a great guitar piece features some very political lyrics. 07. My Michelle - very reminiscent of an Aerosmith song captures the story of a girl from L.A. starts the 3 song string of songs about girls. 08. Think About You - probably the mushiest song from GN'R doesn't have much going for it. 09. Sweet Child O' Mine - the only GN'R song to hit No. 1 on the Hot 100 features Slash's best guitar work and the legendary intro. 10. You're Crazy - another of the songs thrown in for swearing. A better version of the song is featured on GN'R Lies EP. 11. Anything Goes - one of GN'R's edgier songs. Talks about partying. Has a strange backing track. 12. Rocket Queen - a very good song. Good riff from Slash. During the bridge there is a moaning sound clip which is a little racy. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 06, 2005

Sound: This thing effing rules this is a perfect mix of thrash punk and blues-rock and the guitars are amazing. slash's riffs and solos are great and Izzy's loose powerful rhythm keep gives Slash a great background to solo over. Of course Duff n' Steven are a driving rhythm section and Axl, well Axl shows he's a bonafide rock n roll screamer! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are really cool I like the way Axl sings about sex, drugs and booze however he shows it as the dirty underbelly of LA unlike other pussy hair metal bands ala Poison, Motley Crue. Just like the music the lyrics are pure aggresion but some songs do have more sensitive lyrics e.g. Sweet Child O' Mine and Think About You. As stated above Axl's voice is great. // 10

Overall Impression: I do not think it would be compared to other bands of the eighties because it's really unique and dirty but I reckon it can compare to Aerosmith's rocks which is nother great album. The best songs are pretty much all of them so thats perfect to. In the worst case scenario of someone stealing it I'd go up to them and show them a new definition of pain and suiffering and again it get a 5. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: sty34, on october 11, 2005

Sound: What can I say, this is one of the greatest albums all around but it really shines with the sound. The very first Guns N' Roses was a great rock album. This music was so innovative with Axl's piercing vocals and Slash's unprecedented guitar playing. Great songs with great sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics from Axl are great. There is good variety from the love lyric of Sweet Child O' Mine and Think About You to the flat out rocking in songs like Mr. Brownstone, Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Paradise City, and Nightrain. Axl had a great voice that fit perfectly with the band. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the greatest Guns N' Roses album and is in my top 5 for best albums ever. The greatest songs to come out of this are of course, Welcome To The Jungle, Paradise City, and Sweet Child O' Mine, but songs like Rocket Queen and Think About You are overshadowed but are some of my favorites. There is absolutley nothing wrong with this album and is worth buying if you love metal and rock and roll. So pick it up today for whatever it costs because it rocks! // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: RelientKaddict, on may 22, 2006

Sound: They sound good. Plain and simple. I'm a guitarist and frontman kinda guy, so, I'll automatically like the guitarists, but, Slash amazes me. I've never heard a guitarist play a solo like that. Izzy is awesome too. Here's something unique about GN'R. Axl Rose is the only metal frontman that I know of that can play a piano. That, is impressive. This album has a lot of riffwork. Chords, leads, but, alot of the songs feature a repeating, riff-style chord progression. Good stuff though. Just listen to "Welcome To The Jungle". My favorite part of the album though, Is the intro to "Sweet Child O' Mine". Even if you wouldn't listen to the rest of this album, listen to that one. It'll blow you away. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are a little bit edgy at times, but, they fit quite well with the progressions. Some songs, the lyrics seem to be off-time with the music, but that's just me. There are some really pretty songs on here. "Singer skills?" Wow! Axl Rose is like, the best metal vocalist on the planet. He has a fairly deep singing voice, and yet, he could shatter glass. Plus, he can go from soft, to hard as steel at a moment's notice. // 7

Overall Impression: I think this one tops Black Sabbath. All of the songs are impressive. Just give it a listen. You'll see. I love the songs. I hate the lyrics with references to drug use. If somebody even left a fingerprint this CD, I'd put my foot in their face about level with their eyes. I won't even let anybody else touch this album. I love it. I think the overall score of this album with me is a ten. The parts that I love the most make up for what's lacking, and that's very little. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: ctdguyiam, on june 11, 2007

Sound: I'd never even heard of GNR until I found the CD in my dad's case. I borrowed it for a while and listened to it constantly. I had a few favorites that I downloaded to my iTunes and my iPod. I love this album. It sounds great-better than most of these new band's records today. I know something wierd about two songs on the CD Paradise City and Sweet Child O' Mine. Paradise City was made up by the band on the way back from a gig before the CD was released. They expanded on the idea and there you have it. Sweet Child O' Mine is one of my favorites. From what I read, Slash, one of the guitarists was messing around one day. While he was playing, Izzy joined in while Slash was playing. Axl was upstairs and wrote down some lyrics. The result is a great song! // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics? Pretty good. The lyrics and music just click. I especially liked the ones to Out Ta Get Me. I feel like the world's out to screw me over everyday anyways. It's like a life story to me. That's basicly is all I have to say on that subject besides that Axl did a great job singing. // 9

Overall Impression: I loved the CD. The lyrics go great with the sound. I also got my friend into it. I didn't like all the songs, but I liked over half the album. My favorites were Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Nightrain, Out Ta Get Me, Mr. Brownstone, Paradise City, and Sweet Child O' Mine. It is, in my opinion, the best GN'R album. If it was lost or stolen? I wouldn't have to buy another because I have the whole album on my iTunes. If I didn't though, I'd be down at the store in line with another copy in my hand. Both the sound and lyrics were near perfection-can't do no better unless you was God or something. // 9

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: zope, on june 23, 2009

Sound: This record is the debut album of a band with an original style and a band to be one of the most influential hard rock acts of all time. This five young guys came to be one of the most skilled ensembles of all time bringing in their debut album an amazing sound and a great rawness to their music. With their skilled musicianship they managed to create very high quality Hard Rock, putting themselves to the side of Hard Rock giants as Led Zeppelin and AcDc. In my opinion, Drumming has always been a down part of Guns and Roses playing. There are so many things you can do with the drums to create a rhythm and a mood to the song, I think that Steve Adler keeps it simple and plays a steady rhythm with simple repetitive fills, he is a good player though. On bass, Duff McKagan does a very good job, his best performances are Pardise City, Rocket Queen, and Specially Sweet Child O Mine, in the intro, here you can hear what I mean when I say that bass players shoulll create a mood with a high melody. Axl Rose is an amazing singer, he screams, he has a wide scale, he can sing very high and has a great deep low voice, he hums and makes noises accurately. I really like that he makes all noises that singers do in concert but they record all the noises in the studio. Slash is a great guitar player, he is Top 5 historically or at least Top 10 in most guitar countdowns. Therefore his solos are amazingly complex, he manages to play his scales very fast, do very nice sequences of pull offs and hammer ons, slide with a very nice feel, and bend the strings asses all the way transversally acress the neck. Remarkable performaces include Nightrain, Welcome to The Jungle, Paradise City and specially Sweet Child O Mine. Izzy Stardlin is another great musician, he has a low profile because his job is to play rhythm, not to play solos, so he doesn't get many attention and he gets underrated but he surely knows how to play guitar and most importantly he is one of the main songwriters in the band. One remarkable thing to point out on the performance of these guys is that they as two guitars, don't play the same thing, nor they play a conventional lead rhythm sequence. They play slight variations of the same riff, they might only vary the strumming pattern or the arpeggio sequence. Together they sound as a if they both were playing the same but if you have some stereo headphones you can hear the different parts, and appreciate each player's style on each ear. 01.Welcome To the Jungle: if you're a debuting band, and you're aiming to be a bad ass hard rock band, your album has to start with a guitar playing a strong distorted part introducing a hard song. This song is one of the hardest ever written by Guns N Roses. It has a strong intro followed by a very strong riff and Axl's rose at his fullest. It has a neat chorus. There is a riff variation at the middle of the verses that keeps the strong mood. After the second verse there is a nice short solo followed by another verse. Then there is the bridge with some clean parts giving way to the solo. There are a couple of screams developed by Axl. At the end of the solo Slash plays a nice part with harmonics before playing a nice riff that gives way to the last chorus. 02.It's So Easy: this song starts off with a nice bass part, guitars join in and the song starts with the first verse, here you can appreciate Axl's low voice, the chorus has a very nice riff behind. There are two verse chorus sequences before a nice interlude with some voice harmonies. The interlude gets heavier giving way to the solo. After the solo there is another verse chorus sequence. The nice clean part from the middle is played again; this part is amazing how it grows in rhythm and mood. There is another chorus backed with a very nice chorus. Axl starts screaming it's so easy several times with his high voice and the song ends suddenly. 03.Night Train: there is a special sound in Guns N Roses drumming that sounds like a can, the intro to this song is the first time it is used. The song starts off with the chorus, which has a very nice riff. Then there is a verse chorus sequence played two times. Then the interlude starts with a very strong riff backing up. Then the solo comes in. This is a nice long solo full of emotion. The solo ends and the chorus is played in slow motion, then the bad ass riff is played again followed by an outro solo. There are also some screams by Axl before the songs starts fading out. 04.Out Ta Get Me: this song starts strong with both guitars smashing a riff giving way for the rest of the band a short solo. Then the first verse starts, the bridge is cool, with a very nice riff. The chorus has a nice riff too. Then the pattern is repeated and a solo is played. There is an entire interlude before playing another verse chorus. The outro to this song is a high point for Steve Adler where he actually plays an interesting drum part. 05.Mr. Brownstone: this is just a catchy song. The riffs are heavy but all together sounds very nice. The chorus is very nice and heavy, the bass plays very nicely throughout. The solo is very good too, slash makes it very soulful. The verse chorus sequence repeats to end the song with the main riff, and a nice outro. 06.Paradise City: this song starts off with a neat clean guitar and a chorus chant preparing you for the amazing song that's about to start. In the chant there is a good range of vocal tones heard. This song uses some synthesizers, which personally I would take them away. There is a nice lead in the beginning before a whistle is blown giving way to main riff. The first verse comes in with an amazing guitar job. There is another verse before the first chorus comes in. After another chorus verse sequence the solo starts, the second part of the solo where Axl sing So far away is one of the best by Slash. Then there is a good bridge before there being another chorus. Then the song stops and all hell breaks loose. The guitars start playing really fast, Duff develops a great riff on his bass, Slash makes an outstanding solo and Axl starts singing how he knows to. 07.My Michelle: this song sounds very creepy at first with the arpeggios the melody and the bass. But then it breaks loose in a very strong riff. Axl starts singing very strongly too. The chorus is fast and made for headbanging. In the interlude you can really appreciate Duff's playing. Then there is a solo backed by a very strong riff. The song has another verse chorus part to end with a very fast strong outro. I would've preferred that the spooky part at the beginning would've lasted longer. 08.Think About You: this song is hard but it has a really nice melody. During the chorus there are some amazing arpeggios played that just thrills me. During the solo you get a very classic feel by some claps keeping the rhythm. The outro is also amazing with the arpeggios of the chorus played slowly. 09.Sweet Child O' Mine: all the songs up to this point are amazing but this one is outstanding. This song is just great; it starts clean with the lead part we all know. Duff does a great job in the bass, setting a very nice mood. The clean parts played by the guitars are also very melodic. Axl sings very nicely. The bridge between Chorus and verse has also a very nice lead. The interlude before the solo is just a variation of the chorus. Then Slash brings one of his greatest job. Very melodic at first, Izzy does a great job behind too. Then Slash starts playing an amazing set of pull offs and scales to end with another quiet part where Axl sings where do we go now. Then Slash comes again with the solo and Axl does a good performance with the screams. 10.You're Crazy: this song has a very good acoustic mood. Very bluesy and sort of country. Axl Sings very deeply. You have to listen this song on headphones to really appreciate each guitarist separate lines. Duff also joins in very accurately creating a very nice baseline filling in very accurately in very key points. 11.Anything Goes: this song is full of nice riffs throughout, each player playing different parts all the time. Is another great performance of Duff. Axl performs very good too. There is an extensive use of wah in the solo and actually both guitarist play the solo, they make a conversation sort of solo. The last part is very good with the guitars playing very good riffs. 12.Rocket Queen: to close a record you need a great song, if everyone is willing to do their job correctly there's no reason not to have one. The guitars play good riffs, Duff makes another outstanding job. Steve keeps it simple but he fulfills his job. Axl also sings very good. Half the way through the song the tempo and the entire song changes to a more melodic mood where an amazing solo is played, and the record ends with a new mood and some sort of calmness. // 10

Lyrics: Axl is a well known lyricist and in this record he is still thinking about booze and drugs so his songs are predominated by these themes. He sings strongly showing his wide range. These themes might not be strong and meaningful but the lyrics do express the sentiments. 01.Welcome to The Jungle: this song is about getting to a place where everything is different, where your customs are not their costumes. It is about getting somewhere where temptation is very high and you actually fall into them and you acquire some new costumes. 02.It's So Easy: this song is about how easy it was for them to get laid with almost anyone they wanted. 03.Night Train: this song is the name of a cheap Californian wine, and it is about getting drunk partying and enjoying some prostitutes. 04.Out Ta Get Me: I think this song is telling the cops to come and get them because their lifestyles are illegal starting with the drugs, the prostitutes and probably lots of DUI. 05.Mr. Brownstone: this song clearly is about cocaine. Brownstone is slang for it. You start with a little then the little doesn`t do it so the little gets more and more. I think that who wrote this, I think Slash and Izzy describe an average day in their lives. 06.Paradise City: take me down to the party where the girls are pretty. This song's about partying when you're young, live fast die young. 07.My Michelle: this song is about Axl's friend, it is true everything it says but it gives hope to the girl that her life will improve in spite of her background. 08.Think About You: definitely a love song in their own style. 09.Sweet Child O' Mine: this song might be about a girl that makes Axl feel young and he is in love with her. But it might also be about how Axl making some wrong decisions in his life make him feel his young age where he was still, lets say, pure. 10.You're Crazy: this song is about a girl who only wants dick, the man loves her but she only wants dick, she isn't really in love with him. 11.Anything Goes: this is a song about a depraved guy who wants to have sex with any one, and do any kind of weird fetish. 12.Rocket Queen: a song about having sex, with a prostitute or another foxy lady. It is said that Axl had sex with a prostitute during the recording of the song, not while recording obviously. // 8

Overall Impression: Musically, and counting the voice as a musical instrument, this record is amazing, very skilled musicians. One of the best hard rock acts of all time. The only low point is the song meanings. Party and everything but when you look back, when this guys look back at this record, being sober and knowing that this was not a good point on their lives because they were self destructing, how do you see it? Lyrically they did it better in later material. That the song meanings are not meaningful won't make the lyrics bad. The lyrics rock they make the point and set you in the mood of what the song means so to me these are great lyrics to not that good themes. A must have for any rock fan, because it is the birth of a monster, it's like Kill Em All, Led Zeppelin I or Black Sabbath, it rocks. // 9

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 21, 2011

Sound: Guns N' Roses' sound at this point with the original line-up of Axl, Izzy, Slash, Duff and Steven was and still is unlike any other band's. Whilst they hailed from LA, the home of dated, over the top glam rock at the time, GN'R were doing something very different, despite being sometimes considered part of the glam scene. "Appetite" has a raw, scratchy, loose sound to it. Izzy's sparse and funky rhythm guitar is panned to the left, whilst Slash's slithering, intricate les paul is panned to the right. Both guitars play almost completely different things to the other, creating a raw, sloppy, but perfectly executed lead/rhythm guitar duo, similar to that of Joe Perry/Brad Whitford and Thin Lizzy's sound. Duff's trebly thudding bass fits perfectly with Steven Adler's splashy, high energy drumming, creating an unusually swinging and groovy rhythm section. Meanwhile, Axl's manically screeches and soars over the music, perfectly complimenting the band's sound. It perfectly captures the band, and I feel is one of the best produced rock albums of all time. Guns at this point had all the musicianship and swagger of Zeppelin, AC/DC and Aerosmith, but the attitude of the Sex Pistols. In my eyes, this was the only truly good Guns N' Roses album, and also one of the best albums ever made. // 10

Lyrics: Axl's lyrics on the album are brilliant, especially considering his age and the fact it's a debut album. Highlights include "Paradise City", the timeless chorus and the lyrically genius verses, the poetic "Sweet Child O' Mine", and the anthemic "Welcome To The Jungle". However, my favourite lyrics mainly come from songs such as "It's So Easy", just because they perfectly reflect GN'R's attitude. "Mr. Brownstone" (primarily penned by Izzy) is also fantastically well written. The only songs I question for their lyrics are "Think About You" (seems like needless mush) and, whilst being a cool song, "Anything Goes", because it seems to lack the depth of the others. // 10

Overall Impression: 01. "Welcome To The Jungle" - Starts with the piercing stutter of Slash's guitar. After the build up of the helter skelter riff and Axl's howl, the song burst's into the main riff and is off. The song has quite a complex, but perfectly flowing arrangement, with a rumbling, ominous breakdown and a brutal end. 02. "It's So Easy" - The song on the album which is the most badass. The intro consists of some lonely bass hammer-ons from Duff, before cranking into a relentless song about the perks of being a rockstar in Hollywood. Axl's low, swaggering growl over the scratchy, bludgeoning chord progressions eventually morphs into his usual pained screech, as the song ends with a cool descending riff. Menacing, but very cool. 03. "Nightrain" - A great song. Starts with some signature Adler cowbell/open high hat combo and a catchy little guitar melody. A very happy rock song to begin with. Eventually it becomes a bluesy, swaggering stomp, before exploding into a 3 chord catchy chorus, in which Axl screams about the joys of the band's favourite cheap wine. The song fades out with Slash playing a typically careless, but still fantastic solo. 04. "Out Ta' Get Me" - Starts off with a typical GN'R riff, which is the main basis of the song. Axl's lyrics are great, because you can sense his anger and hatred. This is GN'R showing they're Sex Pistols-esque punky side, with Duff and Steven relentlessly swinging throughout. 05. "Mr. Brownstone" - A percussive intro of tom-toms and muted guitar scratching before tearing into a bluesy riff, courtesy of Izzy. The song is funky and groovy throughout, with Axl calmly crooning about "mr. Brownstone" (heroin of course). A very Aerosmith-y song, with funky riffs throughout. 06. "Paradise City" - Perfectly represents GN'R. It starts with Slash's jangling guitar and Steven's memorable drum intro. The song's chorus is in the same vein as "SCOM", catchy, optimistic and anthemic, whilst the verses feature one of the dirtiest rock n' roll riffs ever, combined with Axl rapping about the struggles of city life. After a few verses and chorus' and a nice little bridge, with a massive Adler fill, the band launches into an uncontrollable coda, featuring Slash shredding up a bluesy storm, Axl wailing frantically and the rhythm section of Izzy, Duff and Steven thrashing through a whirlwind of 3 chords. Sick! 07. "My Michelle" - Heavy as hell, and justifying why GN'R were sometimes considered Metal. An intro and riff that would put Black Sabbath to shame, Axl tells the story (in no uncertain terms) of a girl who's out of control. The verses are incredibly cool and heavy, but as soon as I heard the chorus, the sudden change of key and mood... I thought it was weird... Catchy, and it does fit.. But still a little weird. 08. "Think About You" - Rarely listen to this song. Not sure why it was included on the album. Boring chord progressions at 100 miles an hour with lackluster lyrics about a girl. Even Adler's cowbell wasn't enough to save it. The only song on the album I don't like. 09. "Sweet Child O' Mine" - Just when you think it might have started to lose it's way, the album comes back with "SCOM", an amazing song, both in musicality, arrangements, lyrics, and just the fact it's damn good. I can kind of see why Slash had a problem with it to begin with. Until the solo, it doesn't seem like the bada-s GN'R we've heard up 'til now. It's overplayed and sadly nowadays falls in the same category as "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" and "Sweet Home Alabama", the whole Classic Rock ballad thing, but despite any of that, it's an amazing, timeless song. 10. "You're Crazy" - another "Out Ta' Get Me". I feel it's sometimes overlooked, and people often favour the version on "Lies", but I actually love this song. It's frantic rock n' roll with a badass grooving chorus, and cool interplay between the guitars. It's a mesh of riffs, screaming vocals and relentless rhythm. In my eyes, perfect GN'R? It also nicely returns to the misogyny of "It's So Easy", after 2 tracks of mushy love. 11. "Anything Goes" - This song is about rubbery, sleazy 80's pre-Aids scare sex, and that's exactly what it sounds like, with the weirding building intro, the sleazy, riffs and squeaking percussive instruments in the background, and the bass bouncing throughout. The lyrics lack depth, but it's still cool. I love the incorporation of Slash's Talkbox at the end. A fun song! 12. "Rocket Queen" - The band end on a true high. Not considered a classic among lesser fans, who love GN'R for "SCOM" and "Paradise City", but it's definitely up there with the hits in my eyes. In the first half, we witness another badass riff, over Adler's bouncy disco beat, with Axl venomously warning people of himself (or someone called Barbi Von Grief I think). Izzy plays Rolling Stones-esque blues licks over Slash's distorted power chords, with Duff and Steven chugging away in the middle, classic GN'R sound. The chorus is catchy and the sliding guitar and genuine sex noises in the bridge make for a cool listen. What's most notable is the second half. With a build-up, it turns into a melodic, slamming rock ballad. It's cool, and not as slushy as "SCOM" or "Think About You". It's a good way to end the album. No one could argue with GN'R being sensitive, because at the same time, they were the most dangerous band in the world at the time. A timeless album from Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven, and could never be recreated (unless there was a reunion). It dwarfs everything each member of the band does now. Velvet Revolver, NEW GN'R, Duff McKagan's Loaded, Izzy and The Ju Ju Hounds, and Adler's Appetite... They're all well and good, but I think they all no, nothing will compare to what they each did with "Appetite". Yes, if this album got stolen, I'd buy it again. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 01, 2003

Sound: The albums starts with a legendary song, "Welcome To The Jungle", about all that is dirty and immoral at underground LA. There are a lots of great riffs and solos from Slash all over the album, and all the other band players don't let us down. But what gives personality to this cd is Axl Rose's voice. One of the most carismatic and polemic vocalists of rock, he knows how to keep our attention and how to make us listen to him. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, all made by Rose, talks about drugs, violence, sex, urban chaos and love. What else should we ask of a hard rock band? // 10

Overall Impression: Appetite For Destruction was one of the greatest moments of rock n' roll at the 80's. Supported by Steven Adler at the drums, Duff McKagan with the bass guitar, and Izzy Stradlin on the rythm guitar, Slash and Axl Rose made a excelent album, with everything a rock album needs. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: GNRfan, on november 03, 2003

Sound: In a time when hair bands singing about typical love songs ruled the air waves, Guns N Roses came out with their own brand of heavy metal. They were dirtier, meaner, and just plain out-of-control. From the heavier sound of Welcome to the Jungle; to the catchiness of Paradise City; to the love ballad Sweet Child O Mine...this album's sound was revolutionary at the time and still is a huge influence to newer bands. I give this album a hard earned 5. // 10

Lyrics: Beings how I have grown up in the post-grunge era, I don't really connect with the lyrics, but it is a step away from most bands nowadays because GNR also talked about having fun in their lyrics, which is important. The lyrics to Sweet Child O Mine lacked a little bit, but it still sounded really well because of the combination of Slash and Axl. Axl did a really good job of showing his emotions in his singing. You can hear all the anger and rage of Guns N Roses through the opening portion of WTTJ, and you could also hear the raw emotion in Rocket Queen. He did a good job portraying the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: At the time of this albums release, it stood out in the crowd of hair ban greasers and it has stood the test of time. They had a bigger impression on music than did Motley Crue, and were a lot bigger than Poison. The best songs on the record were mentioned already, but songs that I think go strongly unnoticed are Mr. Brownstone, It's So Easy, and Nightrain. I love the album as a whole including most of the songs. The only track i dislike is You're Crazy. If you like heavy rock n roll songs, you might like this track, but I do not. This album is my favorite of all time and I have had to buy 3 different copies because I listen to it too much. Appetite for Destruction is really worth buying it and if know anything about rock n roll, or want to learn something about it, buy this record. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: Rollin thunder, on december 16, 2003

Sound: The guitar and effects of this album were quite good half way thru it. Some tracks I could really see the heavy metal sound but in others it just plain sucked. It was just repetitve and sounded as if it took no skill to make and isn't catchy like on track no. 2. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics were better than the sound. I was expessially fond of night trains lyrics. I think they actually took time to think about and i am now a bigger fan of Axl Rose. The lyrics definitely fit the tunes of the song and for that I am greatful. // 8

Overall Impression: This album has been rated retty highly by rolling stone and other magazines so I thought id give it a try. My fav tracks were Welcome to the jungle, Sweet Child O Mine, and Night Train. I loved the guitar distortion on all those songs but the rest of them were just not as impressive as I had thought. I think it is a cd to buy if your a heavy metal fan and if you like this album I suggest buying back in black by AC/DC. // 8

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 23, 2004

Sound: This has to be the greatest album ever. Take the sound of classic rock from the 70's, like Aerosmith... add the attitude and venom of punk, then crank the volume up... and what do you have? Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction. Right from the very first note from Slash accompanied by the trademark howl of W. Axl Rose, you can tell that this is something special. The pace never lets up from start to finish, leaving any real music fan completely satisfied. If Chinese Democracy sounds even a tenth as good as this, I'll be happy. // 10

Lyrics: Although not generally seen as a concept album, there is a concept that runs throughout. The concept is, the American dream gone wrong... full of songs about drug addiction, alcohol, being wrongfully accused of crimes and prostitution, the main thing that sets GN'R apart from other rock bands of the time (other than they sounded good, and the others didn't, of course) is the brutal honesty in their lyrics. There are two exceptions to this rule, Think About You and Sweet Child O' Mine both being love songs. Although their lyrical best was yet to come, this was still great stuff. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to any other band that were big at this time, this album just blows them all away. This is what saved rock n' roll from becoming a tired old cliche. The highlights of the album are Sweet Child O' Mine, Welcome To The Jungle and Paradise City... but every song is amazing. The best part of this album is easily Axl's vocals, although others argue that it is Slash that made the album great. I've lost this once... bought it again straight away... it really is that good! // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: f117_nighthawk, on march 22, 2004

Sound: This album is undoubtebly the album I listen to most. The sound is fantastic. SLash does an excellent job on lead and Axl's distinguishing vocals provide a great combination to an excellent song. Slash uses a wah throughout the album and it provides a great feel to the songs. // 10

Lyrics: Nuf said about Axl and his singing, but in this album the lyrics are deep. They talk mostly about drugs and sex. The lyrics mesh perfectly with the music and with slash's killer music. // 10

Overall Impression: This album in my rating is the best Guns n Roses album, and I won't waste my money on any of their other trash. This album is a classic and a must have. All of the songs are great but ones that stand out for me (out of the many) are "Sweet Child o Mine", "Out ta get me", "Mr.Brownstone", "Paradise City","Rocket Queen", "Night train" and "Welcome to the jungle" If it was stolen, I would go out and buy it again definitely. For a metal fan, this album is a MUST HAVE!!! Go out and buy it now! // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: Pl3h-B0y, on may 26, 2004

Sound: This is my favourite album this group ever made. Slash is an amazing guitarist. I just can't forget the tune to the solo of "Night Train". In fact every time he plays i start whistiling it. Got tobe amazing. When i first heard "Sweet Child O' Mine" on the computer, i actually loved it and decided to buy the album. I found there were more amazing songs like "Paradise City" which I learnt its lyrics off by heart after I listened to it 1 time. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are good, they fit in with the music. They are easy to learn, and with Axl singing with his high pitched voice (I think it is) except in "Mr. Brownstone" it just fits in with the rhythm and drums. // 10

Overall Impression: This album Is a must get for any peeps who like classic rock. It is just amazingly brilliant. If some one stole it, I'd kick their ass and then I get it back, unless they flew out the country, I'd have to buy it again. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: canucksrule, on june 02, 2004

Sound: The guitars on this album are definately the highlight of it. From the opening riff of Welcome to the Jungle to the last chords of "Rocket Queen", I love every moment. The two guitar style of this band works really well, as Slash manages to provide all the remembered solos and riffs, while Izzy Stradlin' provides the punch that made Guns N' Roses famous. The sound is just awesome. // 10

Lyrics: I will admit, Axl Rose is a bit of a screwball. However, his lyrics were still written very well and had a lot of meaning behind them. He wrote about things he knew about, drugs, alcohol, and women. I especially like the lyrics of Sweet Child O' Mine. Though his voice may not be a perfect example of what is great about rock, I still love it. // 10

Overall Impression: This an awesome album to have. My favourite songs are "Welcome to the Jungle", "Nightrain", "Paradise City", "My Michelle", "Sweet Child O' Mine", and "Rocket Queen". If it was lost I would surely buy it again. This was the greatest album of 1987 and will go down in history as a one of the best I am sure. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: ukdudeinuk, on june 03, 2004

Sound: I love the guitar riffs on this cd, from the heavier Welcome to the Jungle to Sweet Child of Mine, which i use to keep my mood up when feelin down. Slash is an amazing guitarist, and sounds even better when the supporting cast plays as well as they do. It's probably the best album ever made. // 10

Lyrics: I love the lyrics to these songs, they're so deep and heartfelt. The ones in Sweet Child O' Mine seem to hit me hard when I'm depressed and they will lift my mood. Axl is a good singer, though a lot of people I know think G'N'R would be good without Axl's singing. Without that, it wouldnt be G'N'R. The lyrics match the music perfectly too. // 10

Overall Impression: I love everything about this album, if lost id buy it again immediately, its that good. Compared to most rock from their time, this is the best there ever was. My favorite songs are Sweet Child O' Mine, Welcome To The Jungle, and Rocket Queen. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: ooohyeah, on july 26, 2004

Sound: Each and every song is excellent, musically. The guitar in each song is brilliant, as it should be with Slash. Sweet Child O' Mine boasts one of the greatest riffs I've ever heard along with it's equally impressive solo. Despite the more mellow side to this album, it is really hard rocking. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album range from the badass lyrics on Welcome To The Jungle and Nightrain to the softer lyrics on Sweet Child O' Mine and Rocket Queen. But Axl really is a great vocalist and his style of singing goes very well with the music. // 10

Overall Impression: This is by far Guns N' Roses' best album. Although being their first album, it was when they were at their peak. They brought out the Use Your Illusion albums a few years later but weren't up to this standard. But changes in line-up and other factors caused their downfall. But this is one of my favourite albums and if it were lost or stolen I would take my own life. Get this before you get Greatest Hits. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: Blueherm, on august 09, 2004

Sound: I reckon this is the best rock album ever created. Some of the most recognised songs in history is all packed up on this single album. You name it, this album has got it. You would be missing a part of rock history if you don't own your own copy. The thing I like most about this album is the strangely addictive guitar riffs. Songs such as 'Welcome To The Jungle' and 'Sweet Child O'Mine', which are two of my favourites, have a unique riff which makes it strangely addictive. Don't forget Axl's voice gives that finishing magical touch. Truely amazing album the one that I would treasure with me til death. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics isn't a huge concern for me with a song, but the lyrics in this album just makes it hard not to notice. The title for each song is curious enough, but the lyrics them selves are cleverly written. It's almost like a story put together. I love the lyrics. Enough said. // 10

Overall Impression: Appetite for Destruction was released before I even existed on this planet, but I feel like I was born to listen to it. This album was created by a bunch of guys who lived in a messed up house taking drugs and readin' porn mags. But those wierdos just got their names into the list of the rock legends of history. Sure, their future material didn't do as well, but they made the world rock once, and that's good enough for me. True legends never die. And that's why I'm listening to this album even while I'm writing this review. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: Duff_McGee, on september 27, 2004

Sound: From shred to crashing hard rock epics to sweet and slow (but still rockin') ballads, Appetite For Destruction redefined what was metal when it was dominated by upbeat hair and glam rock (I.e. Poison) in the 80's. Appetite is covered with Axl's booming and unique singing followed by loud drums, powerful bass riffs, awesome rythym guitar, and (of course), Slash's raging solos (check out Sweet Child O' Mine for one of the greatest opening riffs and solo). // 10

Lyrics: Many of Appetite's lyrics are metaphorical and some obvious of their true meaning, but they were a bit simple (some cocky) but they were great none the less. My favorite lyrics off this album were Welcome To The Jungle, they were about something a lot of people have been through (I.e. mainly moving away from home to a big city of some sort) and they were written in a beautifully metaphorical way. // 8

Overall Impression: To the beginning with the classic opening of Welcome To The Jungle to the last word from Axl in Rocket Queen, Appetite For Destruction is one of the greatest albums of all time, and definately my favorite. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: Night Revolver, on october 07, 2004

Sound: This album represents Guns N' Roses at it's best. It's one of those all-time favourite albums which is nice to listen over again once in a while when you're sitting down in your chair with a cup of coffee. It's an unexplainable album. Every aspect you look at, this album does not fail. Musically, lyically, vocally it's rock at it's rawest state. You won't find another pure rocking album like this ever. I'm particularly amazed by Slash's flawless guitar riffs and solos and Axl's trademark voice. One word for this album: amazing! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics differs hugely according to the tracks. A few tracks have strong sexual intentions, which is quite a laugh listening to. Songs such as 'Sweet Child O'Mine' has more of a soft approach and is rather like a love song. But most songs don't really have a particular agenda. It's just a rocking album where the lyrics don't really matter. // 10

Overall Impression: Nobody can deny that Guns N' Roses influenced the music world, whether you liked them or not. Also, one of the most recognised guitar riffs are in this album (Sweet Child O'Mine, Welcome To The Jungle, Paradise City). It's not surprising when you know that Appetite for Destruction still is popular amongst record stores. Set aside your doubts about the album. Trust me, you'll be listening to the album again and you'll also be doing the air guitar to the solos. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: NickDaBeast, on january 03, 2005

Sound: Quite possibly the greatest rock album ever released, Appetite For Destruction has a great sound. It is gritty but it has the necessary studio pollish. This helps with the amazing guitar duo of rhythm guitarist (and also sadly underrated songwriter who flourished on the Use Your Illusion albums) Izzy Stradlin and the legendary lead guitarist Slash. The two spit out riffs and solos that sound like a gun fight. This sound is fucking amazing and there's nothing more to it. // 10

Lyrics: I still can't believe how great these lyrics are. They are haunting and catchy at the same time. Listen to Nightrain (Wake up late and honey put on your clothes and take your credit card to the liquor store), It's So Easy (You get nothin' for nothin' and that's what you do. Turn around, bitch, I got a use for you) and My Michelle (Your daddy works in porno now that mommy's not around. She used to love her heroin, but now she's underground) for the dark, brutal, disturbing lyrics and listen to Paradise City (Take me down to the paradise city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty), and Sweet Child O' Mine (Ohh Sweet Child O' Mine, Ohh Sweet Love O' Mine) for the catchy, lighter lyrics. Axl Rose and Robert Plant are the greatest singers in rock history without a doubt. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the greatest rock album ever made in my opinion and it is only close to being bettered by their other masterpiece, Use Your Illusion I. Every song on this album is great except "Think About You" and "Anything Goes" and were trimmed off the album, it would have probably made Appetite overwhelming to my ears if taken as a whole. If stolen or lost, I would buy it again definately and while I was at the record store, I would go buy GN'R Lies (Yes it is GN'R Lies and not just Lies, look on the side of the jewel case) Use Your Illusion I and II, and Live Era '87-'93 (Which is one of the greatest live albums I've ever heard let alone double live albums). Get these other great releases because their are almost as good as Appetite. The ones I probably wouldn't get are The Spaghetti Incident? and Greatest Hits because The Spaghetti Incident is just a bunch of punk rock covers that don't match the original recordings (Even though "Attitude" is pretty fucking sweet on the Use Your Illusion I live DVD) and Greatest Hits gives you a wrong impression of the band if you don't have the other albums because their original albums capture the messy, raw nature of their music. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: rob_acoustic, on april 01, 2005

Sound: The sound is raw, rockin', and really take it how it is. The sound on this landmark album is truly a timely album. It came at the right time, when no other band was telling it how it was. This album has a very unique story attached to it by the life from Lafayette, Indiana to the life os LA, California. It was the right album, at the right time, for the right reasons. The feelings from Rose and his inner demons and angst almost captivate people. The album's touching squeeze of "Paradise City," "Welcome To The Jungle" and of course "Sweet Child O' Mine" all have their places in our hearts. The riffs are volatile and the inonlusive screaming from Rose is very applauding when you hear it. This album is unique and the album's sound and feel is very aggressive and whether you want to listen, Appetite For Destruction tells it like it was. // 10

Lyrics: Axl Rose's conclusive lyrics show you easily how he felt. There's no problem there trust me. He paints and carves in your head why he felt the way he did, and shows you through his words. You have "Out Ta Get Me" which tells how it was from Rose's point of view in Lafayette and then you have the great #1 hit "Sweet Child O' Mine" that hugs itself even. "It's So Easy" is a definate crowd pleaser that show the arrogance of that it's like when your on top and then "My Michelle" a very naked track that swallows you when you hear about a girl Axl Rose dated in the late 80's. Appetite For Destruction can be a very biographical album if you let it be. It shows where the band was and how it was, with the nicemelodies that fast forward the songs at you, it's hard but to notice. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is just one of the best rock albums in the history of music. It went Diamond in 1999 (certifying the sale of 15,000,000 albums) and still is a essential item is any rock fans collection. If you love rock music you probably have this record. the entire album is impressive. One track in my opinion doesn't really belong on there and that is "You're Crazy." Other then that it is a nice look at that time and place. Clearly this album is one of the best because it sets that standard we all want, that standard of being not perfect but just great. // 8

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 06, 2005

Sound: The sound and production quality is incredible (especially when compared to that of their independant record from 1986, Live Like A Suicide). Axl's vocal range is that of a true metal G-d. The punk oriented rhythm section of Duff McKagan, Izzy Stradlin', and Steve Adler flows perfectly together, and Slash (well, what can I say about him?), he's incredibly tasteful, and seldomly over does his solos, and his Wah-Wah technique has inspired my lead guitar style multiple times. Mike Clink (the producer) also deserves some mad credit too. // 8

Lyrics: I don't know what would make a better lyricist/frontman, frankly, the man is nearly perfect for the job, he's a brilliant artist, potentially dangerous, self centered, and somewhat sensitive. His lyrics are incredible. All the songs so fully represent the Sunset Strip scene in LA and the GN'R mentallity. Mr. Brownstone defining the struggles in the life of basically homeless, drug addicts being bothered by the greedy landlord, My Michelle describing the very real life of a troubled young lady, Out To Get Me dealing with the f--kin' fuzz tryin' to book Axl all the time, etc. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an amazing album, in my opinion. I completely hate hair metal, and if Guns N' Roses wasn't a cornerstone in helping kill it (I thank the grunge movement, excellent bands such as Soundgarden Stone Temple Pilots, and Pearl Jam, for that), they changed it for the better. I consider GN'R sleaze metal (with the likes of Aerosmith, and Alice Cooper). Guns basically took hair metal and incorporated elements of punk, thrash metal, and blues. They didn't tease their hair like the pussies in shitty bands such as Bon Jovi, Poison (uggh, terrible), and Motley Crue, they were more dangerous than those MTV-friendly deuschebags (GN'R actually trashed MTV! T'was most excellent because MTV sucks, especially compared to Much Music in Canada). And one could, in theory, claim that they basically started the counter-culture of the late eighties and early nineties (however, they got a little too pop in the early nineties for me) that was kind of followed by incredible bands like Jane's Addiction, Alice In Chains (who sad-to-say were a hair band in the eighties called Sleze), Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers etc. I would definitely buy this record again if it was stolen. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: kopie85, on april 19, 2005

Sound: Guns N' Roses sound was a breath of fresh air to an era ruled by hair metal. In 1987 five men, Axl Rose (vocals), Slash (lead guitar), Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitar), Duff (bass), and Steven Adler (drums) came out with their CD Appetite For Destruction. AFD had a down and dirty sound that was lacking in most other bands at the time. Three of the most famous and probibly the best opening riffs to a song was written by Guns' guitarist Slash. Welcome To The Jungle, Paradise City, and Sweet Child O' Mine are the three big ones. But others such as Nightrain, It's So Easy, and Rocket Queen also dominate this album. Axl Rose's vocals combine perfectly with the guitars of Slash and Izzy, the bass playing of Duff, and the beat of Steven. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics to the songs on AFD are great. The lyrics blend perfectly with the sound that they made. Besides the albums "Use Your Illusion I" and "Use Your Illusion II", AFD is some of the best lyricly CD that Guns came out with. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of the best albums that I have ever heard. Guns N' Roses is my favorite band of all time. There is nothing that I hate about AFD. Every song on it is great and I can easily go through the entire album without skipping a song. Sweet Child O' Mine is my favorite song. I highly recomend buyig it. It will save you from this pop-rock that are played today. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 22, 2005

Sound: This has got to be one of the greatest debut albums of all time. To have a great rock album, this is the yardstick. First of all, Slash has one of the most recognisable Les Paul/Marshall sounds of all time. With that you add Izzy Stradlins tight rhythm. This is complimented with the bass playing of Duff McKagan and the amazing drumming of Steve Adler. Finsihed off with the lyrics of Axl Rose. This is rock at its finest. Not full metal, but soft pop, just raw rock. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are fairly good, the lyrics definately fit the music. Axl sings about, life before the glory of rockstardom, and of course about his ex-girlfriend Erin Everly. Axl Rose's voice is perfect for this style of music. // 8

Overall Impression: This is such and outstanding album. From "Welcome To The Jungle" to "Rocket Queen" they are all just great songs. Too me, the best on the album is "Sweet Child O mine" for many reasons. It has arguably the greatest guitar intro and solo ever written. Also it is a great sing-a-long. Welcome To The Jungle is also great becasue it is a hard hitting song, it is good to sit it as a first track so we know we are in for some good music. Overall, it is an inspiration album, buy it. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: PRWNDWIA, on june 21, 2005

Sound: Raw, bluesy, rocks, edgy, honest, sloppy, great! There the best selling debut album ever, 9000 copies per day still. There go out and buy it! I could end the review there but I won't. There ain't no story, well the whole records a story of drugs, sex and rock 'n' roll. Oh and the police out ta get Axl. Izzy's rhythm seems sloppy, raw and sounds great, Duff's bass is limber and holding the songs together, Steven's drums are great (he seems to like his cowbell), Slash's guitar parts are remarkable, I really can't describe the sound - it's almost different on each song. Oh wait I missed out WAR, if Freddie Mercury had sang these songs they would be s--t! Axl rules his unique vocal are perfect on this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics suit each song perfectly. With songs such as Welcome To The Jungle (about arriving in the city for the first time), the lyrics are true and his vocal style suits it perfectly (going through the whole album his vocals get better in each song as if he is trying to show you a journey or something). Then there's It's So Easy (Axl shows off his extensive vocal range, yes it is him singing the verses), Nightrain (a song about beer, hell yeah). Then there's the amazing Out Ta Get Me (that's how backing vocals should be done people), the famous Mr. Brownstone is up next (a song bout cocaine! Has that famous chorus too), Paradise City (it's about LA, you should have all heard it by now). The brilliant My Michelle is up next (it's about a druggie, and has some great lyrics in it). Think About You is another spectacular Izzy song the guys a genius! Then there's the famous Sweet Child O' Mine (a love poem at its best mixed with rocking guitar parts! Come on you know how good it is, the lyrics are suberb), then we move onto You're Crazy electric version (a great song, but not as great as the rest on the album, very bluesy too), Anything Goes is probably in my opinion the worse on the album (but it still rocks), then there Rocket Queen (a great finale, definetly my favourite of the album). // 10

Overall Impression: If someone stole it I would buy it again 10 times! I love everything, and there's honestly not much wrong with it, part from the odd song which isn't amazing as the rest. The cover art rocks too, check out the banned cover in the middle pages. This is rock at its very best, this guns at there best! Never again. Get it now! // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 22, 2005

Sound: With all the contraversy and struggle it took to get this album released (or even made) it is amazing to me that it turned out as good as it did. Even though the oppening song is pretty annoying it is still one of their best. Slash's amazing vibrato guitar playing holds within it a style and substance that was sadly never repeated. // 8

Lyrics: The talent of this multi-singing style lead singer is unlike no other I've ever heard before. His loud, harmony-filled voice was truely touching in Sweet Child O' Mine and the deep, grisled voice of his in Mr. Brownstone is a tad over the top. However, no one can deny his talents. // 6

Overall Impression: This album (with the exception of Welcome To The Jungle) does not have a bad song on it and is probable my favorite CD of all time. Nightrian still has me jumping around the room as I try to put the energy into it that Axl surely did and My Michelle is worth the price of the whole album. The edgyness and raw ability is untouchable, even if the lead singer was a complete asswipe. No matter how many times I lose it I'll but it over and over again. Classic! // 8

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 26, 2005

Sound: the sound on this album is awesome. All of Izzy's rhythms are great especially on My Michelle, Welcome To The Jungle and Paradise City. Slash's lead riffs are also great, the best are on Paradise City and Sweet Child O' Mine. You can say that Axl Rose has one of the best hard rock voices of all time. His range is amazing. Listen to tracks 4 and 5. It sounds like 2 different people singing. The bass and drums are also really good. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are all great for the music that they go to. All the lyrics are just bad ass with Think About You and Sweet Child O' Mine being exeptions since they r both love songs but they are still great and they would just be gay if anyone other than Axl was singing. The first verse for Nightrain is my favourite lyrics ever. // 10

Overall Impression: Best album I own (I don't have Back In Black). Led Zeppelin 4 is close but not as good. My favorite songs are Welcome To The Jungle, Nightrain, My Michelle, and Sweet Child O' Mine. The last three songs arent as good as the rest in my opinion. They are still goood songs just not as good as the rest. If it was stolen I would kick whoever stole its ass, steal his 15 bucks and get another one anyway. It really is that good. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: AxlRose54, on january 04, 2006

Sound: No doubt their best album. Their 3 standout hits, Welcome To The Jungle, Paradise City, and Sweet Child O' Mine may be great, but there are others on the album which are also very good; (Night Train, Mr. Brownstone, My Michelle, etc). Unlike some bands' albums, each song on Appetite For Destruction is unique in its own way, they won't bore you by sounding the same. You can listen to every song on this CD and not find any filler. Different than other '80s bands. // 9

Lyrics: Izzy/Axl Rose make the best lyrics ever, and they fit well with the music. Some notable pieces wiht great lyrics: Welcome To The Jungle, Mr. Brownstone, Paradise City, And Sweet Child O' Mine. // 8

Overall Impression: Guns N ' Roses were different from other hair metal bands of the '80s; this might be because they came late (1987 debut). Best 5 songs from album: #5 Mr. Brownstone, #4 My Michelle, #3 Welcome to the Jungle, #2 Sweet Child O' Mine, #1. Paradise City. // 9

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: Will_GnR_87, on february 14, 2006

Sound: This was GN'R's first full length recorded LP, and it was intense. the band entered the studio in 1986 and on July 31 1987 Appetite For Destruction was released. The band was aiming for a really raw sound, and in a way their inexperience in the music industry was a bonus, because they could make an album without having to conform to a certain sound. Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven managed to create one of the most raw and menacing albums ever. in the studio, they decided to record Izzy's guitar parts first, and then have Slash record his solos. The result was phenomanel. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics tell the tale of a poor white kid in a big city (Welcome To The Jungle), Axl's utter contempt for the female gender (It's So Easy), his addiction to cheap wine (Nightrain), his paranoia inspired by stints in correctional facilities (Out Ta Get Me), more addiction (Mr Brownstone), the ultimate sin city (Paradise City), a drugged up girl (My Michelle), a tender love song (Think About You), the most intense love song ever written (Sweet Chuild O' Mine), a psycho hose beast (Your Crazy), sex, sex, sex (Anything Goes) and finally a dominatrix (Rocket Queen). Unbelievable lurics. // 10

Overall Impression: This was their best album by far and they couldnt really live up to it later albums, although the Illusion albums did kick ass. Overall the best album of the '80s (except maybe Back In Black). // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: Modernmusich8er, on april 25, 2006

Sound: This is the only GN'R album that I liked. Before all you hardcore Guns N' Roses fans hunt me down let me say it is in my top 50 albums all time. Every song on this album on this album is phenomenal (excluding "My Michelle," but I'm not a big ballad fan.) This is easily one of the best debuts in rock history. I am a guitarist and Slash is a huge inspiration with his earblowingly fast solos and great riffs. The drums are average for a rock band, nothing extraordinary. The same can be said about the bass, it really just keeps a steady beat all the time. Axl Rose is a great singer and defies the laws of singing on a regular basis. This was a huge debut for a group of talented people, it's really great. // 10

Lyrics: This lyrics in the album are it's only weak point, but to me lyrics aren't a huge part of the music anyway (unless it's Rush, the best storytellers in a song of all time). The lyrics focus mainly on abusing your girlfriend and drug abuse. Not really my type of lyrics, but if you hear the music the lyrics will be nonexistent in your opinion on this album. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall this is a great album you should purchase as soon as possible if you don't already own it. The musicianship of these guy is amazing, Slash is simply amazing. This is like AC/DC's "Back In Black" or Led Zeppelin's "Led Zeppelin IV." This is because every song off this album has the potential to be a hit single. I am a huge fan of this album and anyone who has the same opinion of me. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: RelientKaddict, on may 22, 2006

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: clinterrus_55, on july 19, 2006

Sound: Appetite for destruction is the world best classic rock CD (not metal) on the face of god green planet. This cd takes you on a journey through the "most dangerous band in the world". Slash hits those impossible solos like hes eating a burrito and playing with ease. Axl's singing is amazing and whoever says different should go f--k themselfs. Izzy' has great riffs and plays so fluidy. Duff's bass licks are mezmerizing. Steve's drums sound like they are pounding through your heart. Amazing everthing. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are all about rock. Sex, drugs and a lot of r'n'r. They wrote all of the songs except forIts so easy which was written by Axl & West Arkeen, and Anything goes by Chris Weber. GN'R wrote get lyrics. Some of my favs r "You can have anything you want, but you better nit take it from me" track 1. "Your daddy works in porno" track 8. "Turn around bitch I got a use for you" track 2 and finally "The Show usually starts around 7, get on stage round 9, get on the bus round 11, sippin and drinking and fellin fine" track 5. // 9

Overall Impression: This is the cd that launched the legends and well it is god-like. This was my first gn'r cd I got and now I have all of them. My favorite songs from this is Mr. Browstone, It's So Easy, Nighttrain and My Michelle. I love the art work of the girl getting raped by the robot. If you think you have a CD collestion and this is not in it, you suck. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: TheDisenchanted, on october 28, 2006

Sound: Guns N' Roses have to be one of the best bands of all time and I think this album just sums up their excellence. I'm only 14 but they have to be one of the best bands I listen to. It just shows that it's not only the older generation that listened to them at my age when they were the big thing, everyone likes them! It's a kick-ass album that should have a place in everyone's CD collection. They're unique and you can't compare them to everyone it's just a shame that Slash left to go into Velvet Revolver. Slash has to be one of the best guiatrists ever. // 10

Lyrics: Axel Rose just has an amazing voice and the passion and emosion that he puts into the songs is just funominal. I find I can really relate too some of the songs on this album which is good because these days you don't find many bands that have songs that you can relate to. Take 'Welcome To The Jungle' there is just so much passion put into that song and it makes you feel like you want to get up and pull your air guitar out of the cupboard and start rockin' with them and Axel Rose is responsible for that. // 9

Overall Impression: It's an immense album. I can't even find a word to sum it up it's just so good. I always listen to Guns N' Roses and love it when I see them still being played on Kerrang or Scuzz in 'Gods Of Rock' because they deserve to be there. They still as good as they were all those years ago. I just wish that Slash was still with them and that they would do a gig somewhere near me so I could go and watch them! My fgavourite songs of the albm would have to be: Welcome To The Jungle, Mr. Brownstone, Paradise City and Sweet Child O' Mine, but all of the songs are pure genious and all these years later it's still influencing bands. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 13, 2006

Sound: This is a classic '80s punk/metal albm. This album is still the best selling album up to date and for a good reason. From Slash's insane solos to Axl's raunchy, larynx shredding vocals, this album arguably the greatest punk rock album to have come out in the '80s. The guitar work in this album is unbelievable. Slash and Izzy Stradlin are a force to be reckoned with. With Welcome to the Jungle and Sweet Child O' Mine, they can sound heavy and agressive, while being able to play rock ballads. Also people don't give enough credit to My Michelle. It's a great song, with great guitar work. // 10

Lyrics: Within about an hour or so after you get addicted to the album, you'll be singing along with Axl on tracks like Paradise City. The lyrics in this album are unforgetable. Welcome to the Jungle's famous bridge combined with the guitar work really pulls you in. Axl's screeching vocals perfectly compliment tracks such as My Michelle. All in all, Axl Rose is a lyrical/vocal genius. // 10

Overall Impression: This album will always be my favorite album. Compared to some of the other '80s metal bands out there, they are nothing compared to Guns N' Roses. All songs in this album are great and although, the highlight tracks you are Welcome to the Jungle, Paradise City, and Sweet Child O' Mine. My favorite song is My Michelle. I love everything about the album and how it truly shows what a classic '80s rock and roll band is about. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: AdamDK, on december 25, 2006

Sound: This is by the far one of the best ever sounding albums ever to be released. Everything just fits together. The tone from the guitars is outstanding. Slash and Izzy's guitar parts "bond" well on this album, and stand out from eevrything else. Axl Rose's voice on this album is arguably the best it has ever been. Axl's voice, along with the guitar parts, gives this album an aggressive edge, which is a big factor in making the album stand out compared to the other Guns N' Roses albums. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrcis on Appetite for Destruction are excellent. They fit well with the music, and actually have meanings. For example, "Sweet Child O' Mine" is a poem Axl wrote about a girl, and the "My Michelle" lyrics were wrote about a girl called Michelle who Axl knew. Axl voice projection makes the lyrics stand out, and from the tone of his voice, you know they have a true meaning. // 9

Overall Impression: The overall impression this album leaves on people is something which you'll never forget. Appetite for Destruction stands out from different albums because of the lyrics, and the guitar parts. There is no song on this album which can be classed as bad, or average, because all the songs on the album are kick ass. If somebody stole this album, I'd track them down, kick their ass, take the album, then shove a 10ft pole up their ass. This is a must buy for any hard rock/heavy metal fanatics. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 04, 2007

Sound: When I first heard this album I just thought "wow". Especially since it was a debut album. Everything about the sound caught my ear, from the smart use of pedals e.g. delay in welcome to the jungle, wahwah in the sweet child solo, to the sleezy blues solos. Not to be forgotten though, were Izzy Stradlins awesome riffs: it's not understatement to call him the chief gnr songwriter. They were melodic and instantly memorable. Axl's vocals were raw, gritty and unlike anything since Robert Plant or Steven Tyler. The basslines were amazing, and portrayed the talent McKagan possessed. Not to be outdone was Steven Adler, he could drum it up like any other and with flare e.g. his cowbell in nightrain. The band was talented and instantly had an individual sound from anything else produced at the time. // 10

Lyrics: To me, the lyrics sounded as if they were from the heart. Indeed, Axl and Izzy have on countless occasions that GN'R songs were always based on truth (unless you count used to love her. listen to it on live era and axl's speech says it all). I absolutely loved the lyrics: almost all songs were instantly memorable. To say thaqt the lyrics fit perfectly with the music would be an apt statement. Izzy and Axl always seem to fit the lyrics in in just the right places e.g. the part after the first solo of nightrain. Skills wise, Axl rose is a very strong lyricist and singer. His voice ranges from a deep baritone one (It's So Easy) to a high falsetto (Welcome To The Jungle). On each song, Axl ca be heard screaming his heart out, particularly on the part after the solo of nightrain, of on Welcome To The Jungle. // 10

Overall Impression: Asides from Iron Maidens "number of the beast" or AC/DC's "Back In Black" there is not other album I would put next to this. I could listen to this time and time again without getting bored. Because that's what Axl's vocals and Slash and Izzy's guitar interplay did: it hooked me. Now I never really liked rock as a child, but after hearing Sweet Child 'O Mine at a friends, I was converted. And the same thing has happened to anyone I've lended this album to. It's the quintessential rock album to have, and there really is no other. The songs I loved were Nightrain (to me it is the greatest rock song), It's so easy and Think about you. There really is nothing I hate about this album, unless you compare Anything goes to the earlier Hollywood rose version, but that isn't exactly hate is it? Just preference. I wouldn't bother buying this again if I lost it as I would already have a second copy in case of said event. It's honestly that good. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: steve_slash, on january 04, 2007

Sound: Guns N' Roses give a distinct sound of late '80s metal. A famous band worldwide, this, their debute gave them the status they have rightfully claimed. The sound is agressive in most parts and reflects the moods and experiences of the band at the time. Easily one of my favourite albums of all time this is a rock classic. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically it has deep meaning to the bands life experiences and feelings. I have read a book on the band called "Guns N' Roses: the band that time forgot" and it explains most of the songs meanings, from drug & alcohol abuse to sex, love & women. If you listen deep to the lyrics you can understand them, they are usualy pretty clear in relation to the song. Axl has a great singing voice and it gives the songs such power adding more to the metal feel. His vocal skills are memorable to everyone from the hit Sweet Child Of Mine & the rest of the album does not dissapoint. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is deffinatly up there with the greats. It is a classic and usualy classed as their best album. They changed their style along the way so to many this is the pinnicle of their sound. The most impressive song is too hard to choose as they all great but mr brownstone is possibly up there. If this album was stolen or lost I'd probably break down and cry due to the memories and influence it has had on me. This is a must by album for guitar players and music freeks everywere. An insperation to all. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: dgme92, on january 11, 2007

Sound: To start the review I would first have to admit to being yet another Guns N' Roses fan, that was fascinated with Appetite for Destruction when I first discovered it. Guns N' Roses have always had this feeling of electricity in the air as maybe, Welcome to the Jungle (the albums 1st track) or Sweet Child O' Mine (the anthem), kick in, as there is a shared feeling between the audience that they are in for something special. GN'R really mix it up on this CD, throwing in an abundance of new styles, mixing the blues with the typical, hard edged rock n roll, mixed with '80s metal, and managing to make it sound unique at the same time. Songs such as Sweet Child 'O Mine were made for fun at practice sessions, It's So Easy being written on a pizza box in a hotel, and such, really show this, with Mr. Brownstones looming intro, almost ghostlike. // 10

Lyrics: To be completely honest, Axl Rose was the wild child of '80s rock, with the lyrics to show for. Welcome To The Jungle, about the city of LA, not being the paradise it is usually referred to as. Whereas there will always be the exception of Sweet Child 'O Mine, about Axl's girlfriend, praising her and managing to show the band can perform in a mix of styles and speeds. The lyrics really impressed me, this being the bands debut album for Geffen, and there first notable album, and showcased Axl's vocal skills, singing high, low, and giving off the signature shrieking, screaming vocals. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, Appetite For Destruction is an astounding album, showing what a band with high hopes and visions of success really can do, re-inventing rock n roll/metal, after it began to wear thin, with only the genres first superstars, such as Metallica, getting the recognition they deserved. Buy it, and make sure you take in every last note of the guitar, bass, drums, vocals, as it is something that will never again be achieved by any bands claiming to be rockers. Guns N' Roses, in my opinion, were the last rock band to break the barriers of the genre, twist it around, and make it fun again. It is quite pssibly, actually forget that, it IS my favourite album. If I were to lose this or it got stolen, I would buy it again as it should be missing from no rockers collection, and I consider it to be a timeless classic metal album. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: jfsj123, on march 06, 2007

Sound: Arguably the best rock album alongside AC/DC's Highway To Hell. Appetite For Destruction is a great album. Guns N' Roses are a great band because they put so much effort in the rhythm and riffs and most certainly their solos. The music styles consisting in this record is rock, classic rock and hard rock. The artwork started out as a rape scene but changed so record sales go higher. This artwork is found in Appetite's booklet inside. Slash plays some insane rifffs and jaw dropping solos which makes him one of the greats in rock. // 10

Lyrics: Axl Rose's talent is unique and overwhelming. From a melodic voice to an insane but stunning screaming all throughout the record. The rhythm matches his voice perfectly which makes Guns N' Roses different to any other band. He has a great voice. In my opinion, Axl is in my Top 5 singers because it's amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: This album isdifferent to any album out there because knowone sounds even similar to Guns N' Roses. My favourite songs are "Welcome To The Jungle" because it's wild and crazy, "Paridise City" with it's stunning melody and brilliant solos, and "Sweet Child O' Mine" because of the insane solo near the end of the song. If this album was stolen I'll get another one and curse the guy who stole it to get beaten up by Slash's crew! // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: blakeeaton, on april 20, 2007

Sound: Guns N' Roses is often labeled an L.A. band. But the truth is that is just where they met up. Aside from all that, there is absolutely no doubt that they picked up the style in a heartbeat. It's almost tough to compare the GN'R sound to any other bands, because they were that unique. It sounds like the best parts of every rock band that had some rough edges. The way that it's all put together is so grungy, yet so well done. // 9

Lyrics: This band knows how to write. Songs such as Sweet Child O' Mine and Paradise City prove it. With all of the bands getting so deep and almost unappealing, Guns N' Roses truly brought people back into reality with their heartfelt lyrics. You can tell that these guys have so much to say, but put in just enough to keep you wanting more. I still can't get over how clever the songs are; things like "my serpentine " and just the way they're able to get their music out is really amazing. There isn't one wrong verse as far as flowing with the music goes. Axl is one of my favorite singers, and he does an excellent job with it. // 10

Overall Impression: It really is difficult to compare these artists with any others. It's so witty and clever, which kind of surprises you from the looks of these guys. Many people who have higher level thinking skills can relate to this album because it's that innovative. I would definitely go out and buy this album for all of my friends and family. So, what are you waiting for? Your rock n' roll album isn't complete without it. // 9

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: GNRkixass, on june 04, 2007

Sound: My first impression of this album was naturally Welcome to the Jungle, after hearing it during a Cincinnati Bengals game. I just heard a small portion of the chorus after a touchdown, and after 5 seconds, I knew the second I got on the computer I was getting on iTunes to buy the song. I got on iTunes, looked at the Artist, then Album, and I noticed something I wasn't expecting: Welcome to the Jungle wasn't even the most popular song on the album! It was second to Sweet Child O' Mine, and very close behind was Paradise City. I listened to Sweet Child O' Mine, and was instantly mesmorized by the intro hook, intrigued by the mini-solos throughout the song, and awed by the furious wah-wah solo in the middle. Parts of the song to this day still gives me goosebumps. After the final notes of Sweet Child, I realized I had a new favorite band. Then I decided to give Paradise City a try. I think this song, along with the wah-wah solo in Sweet Child, displays Slash's unbelievable talent at playing the guitar. It starts with a clean tone playing a simple rotation of G-C-F chords. The song builds and gets faster and more complex, and ends with a bang. Every song on the album is at least about a 6 out of 10, with the exception of Anything Goes or Rocket Queen. They aren't bad, but they aren't even close to the other songs. Along with Welcome to the Jungle, Sweet Child O' Mine, and Paradise City, some good songs on the album worth mentioning are Nightrain, Mr. Brownstone, My Michelle, and You're Crazy. // 10

Lyrics: Axl Rose is undoubtedly one of the best vocalists in the history of rock, or music in general for that matter. From the mysterious lyrics of Welcome to the Jungle, to the tame, soft vocals of Sweet Child O' Mine, he's got all the bases covered for singing. // 10

Overall Impression: As most other reviews have mentioned, it is one of the best heavy metal albums ever. In my opionion, I believe it may be the best, due to the thought and diversity. Metallica's most famous songs like Master of Puppets and Enter Sandman both come from the same tree, which was basically hard-core heavy metal, but when they tried to make softer songs later, such as Nothing Else Matters, they were considered sell-outs. Guns N' Roses had the ability to be softer and hard-core but were never, ever, accused of being sell-outs. Other heavy metal guitarists are worrid about speed. Slash is all about substance. The most impressive songs are easily Sweet Child O' Mine, Paradise City, and Welcome to the Jungle, and just for those three songs alone, if I lost the album, I'd buy it back a hundred times. I can't live without it. If I could rate it more than 10, it would easily be a 15. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: Trytan, on august 29, 2007

Sound: The Guitar work on this album is incredible. Many classic riffs were created including the intro to Sweet Child O' Mine and Welcome to the Jungle, and the Verse, Chorus and Solo of Paradise City. Slash really solidified himself as an amazing guitarist with this CD. All the songs were melded together with extreme care. It's fast-paced, but heavy. It's smooth, but edgy. It's soft, but harsh. Slash and Izzy fit their sounds together perfectly. During live concerts there fast bluesy rockin' style would make the concert just seem that more awesome. Just watch a live GN'R video and you'll see what I mean. The guitar solo's on Paradise City, Sweet Child O' Mine and Nightrain are some classic examples of true musicianship. The style couldn't be more perfect. This album trademarked that GN'R sound. // 10

Lyrics: They just couldn't have gone wrong in any way with Axl. He screams his lyrics like only he could do. He moans them like only he could do. He drones them like only he could do. This is by far Axl's best vocals out of any GN'R CD. His drug driven poetry just fits with the sleazy, rockin' style of the album. Some great examples of his skill are the opening scream to Welcome to the Jungle (How can you possibly hold it that long), and all of Paradise City, Mr. Brownstone, and Sweet Child O' Mine. The style of it's So Easy was a unique new type of singing that would be used by Axl in years to come. This CD also proves his insane range, from the low aforementioned it's So Easy to the high sounds of Welcome to the Jungle. As mentioned above, the vocal style of this album also was extremely useful in live concerts. It created that more of a riot-like live sound. Like I said in the sound section, watch any GNR live video and you'll see what I mean. Axl Rose is my favorite singer of all time and this album proves exactly why. // 10

Overall Impression: 01. Welcome To The Jungle - the opening riff by Slash is just about as good as you can get. It's like the calm before the storm. With Axl's siren-like scream you just know something huge is coming. Then the verse riff hits, and the adrenaline rushes. While the Guitar solo may lack any real great effort, Axl's sex sounds make up for it, =). The lyrics really add to this song. Without them, it would still be great, but just not the same. In my opinion, this is gotta be the greatest album opener of all time. Making it in at #2 on VH1's Greatest Metal Songs of All Time, along with also cracking both Rolling Stone's and Q Magazine's Best Songs of All Time lists, this song cannot be overlooked. 02. It's So Easy - I love the opening note to this song. The song barely lacks anything in the Guitar portion. It also has Axl's first example of droning lyrics, a major highlight and my personal favorite part of the song. The chorus melded with both these parts is still missing something though. So what do they add? Cowbell. Perfect. It just completes it. Well, actually, if it were perfect it would get a perfect rating. It just missed. 03. Nightrain - the opening yet again is perfect. Cowbell. Yes! GN'R really has this opening thing down. This song is GNR tribute to alcohol. Some of Slash's better guitar work on both this album and throughout his career, with two pretty lengthy guitar solos. Axl's lyrics just fit with the song very nicely. The song hits it's climactic point within the last minute of the song when Axl screams "Never to return!", and Slash goes into his great outro solo. 04. Out Ta Get Me - yet again. The opening. A nice slow version of the chorus riff picking up pace, adding a second guitar half way through, until finally it hits the high point. They add a nice Slash lead over everything and bam. Another perfect intro. Axl's lyrics are the low point of the song. He sings in a very backgroundish way until the pre-chorus and the chorus. Other than those two parts the vocals section is seriously lacking. The guitar work is really more stuff that's gonna be overlooked. The only thing that sticks in my head is the intro/chorus riff. Although I may seem to be pounding most of this song into the ground, it really isn't as bad as I made it sound. It just wasn't as great as the first 3 songs and most of the other songs to come. The first real stumble, albeit a small one, on the album. 05. Mr. Brownstone - yet another perfect intro. Some nice palm-muted guitar into the verse riff by just one guitar. Then they launch in another one, and cha-ching. Perfect. Again. The highlight of this song is the lyrics. While the guitar is excellent. The lyrics are just incredible. Axl sings some nice rhyming stuff for the verse. The best point is the fast double paced singing, of "I used to do a little but a little wouldn't do it so the little got more and more. I just keep tryin' ta get a little better, just a little better than before." Back up from that stumble on Out Ta Get Me. 06. Paradise City - this song is tied (ironically with November Rain, another GNR song) for the spot as my favorite song of all time. The nice clean guitar opening into the lyric that won't die. "Take me down to the Paradise City where the grass is green and the girls are pretty! Oh won't ya take me home!". It keeps going and for a minute and your wondering if this song will ever start a fast pace when suddenly, a whistle blows and there's the riff. The most awesome riff ever. So the song goes on in awesomeness for the next 3 minutes and just when you think it couldn't get any awesomer, the song goes double time, and as expected, the awesome level doubles. Next comes the greatest guitar solo of all time. Or at least in my opinion. It was like God descended upon Slash and gave him the skill to shred, even if it were for just one song. This song also utilizes something that I like that many people may not. Singing over a guitar solo. Axl sings the lyric that just won't die over the solo and together, it just makes the song perfect. If I could I would rate it 11 out of 10, but I'm gonna keep my rating system normal. 07. My Michelle - another great intro. Some nice clean guitar right into an insane distorted verse. Axl roars out the lyrics in the verse with some evil sounding guitar work over his vocals. The artificial harmonics really did it to make that over the top sinister sound. The only problem about this song is the chorus. They pull the ultimate stupid trick. A change to a happier weird sounding key, with Axl singing along with the guitar. That's a no no. Other than the chorus the song is another highlight. Although it's stuck right after Paradise City, so it was kind of a downer. Overall still great. 08. Think About You - the first not perfect intro. They tried the cowbell intro again, and it just didn't get the same effect as Nightrain. They launched from cowbell right into hard rockin' guitar, but it just didn't work as well. Still an okay intro but after six straight songs of amazing intros, it just isn't as great. The lyrics are only good during the "It was the best time I can remember" parts and the chorus. The guitar work is just average. There's some light acoustic over the chorus that is okay, but doesn't fit that well. On Out Ta Get Me they stumbled. On This, they just fell flat on their face. 09. Sweet Child O' Mine - okay so, GN'R just has a knack for writing intros. This intro is immortal. It is a tribute to Rock N Roll. It is an anthem. This song is GNR's only #1 hit. However, a #1 hit is a feat only accomplished by a very small number of artists, and an even smaller number of Hard Rock artists. Everything about this song is just perfect. The guitar work is legendary, especially the solo which is widely regarded as one of the greatest of all time. The lyrics are just peaceful and lovely. While it may not be my favorite it is without a doubt GNR's greatest song. 10. You're Crazy - from this point on the album starts going down. No more 10 out of 10 perfect hits from here. Not even a 9. Another great intro, this time a fast paced guitar lick. The lyrics are just average. The guitar stands out more. The chorus really kinda screws up the song. It goes from really fast paced to just this slow part. However, this song was originally written as a slower more melodic song, so that makes sense that some of it is still slow. It changed during a live concert and they decided to keep it that way. It can be heard in it's slower version on GNR Lies. I personally like the fast version better. 11. Anything Goes - the intro is still great even though it doesn't seem that way. It's one of those intros where you're just waiting for the huge fast paced verse and instead of that, in comes a reggae like beat with Axl singing, "I've been thinkin' 'bout, thinkin' 'bout sex, always hungry for somethin' that I haven't had yet. It makes me laugh every time. The lyrics don't stand out, neither does the guitar work. The solo is kinda cool, but I'm leaning more towards weird then cool. The only really good part of this song is the funny intro, and the reggae beat, and the outro. 11. Rocket Queen - by far the strangest song on the whole album. It changes speeds and keys randomly. The lyrics are the trunk of the tree on this song. The guitar work is just some slow paced power chords to back Axl's voice. Then we got some more sex sounds that we haven't heard since the beginning of the album at Welcome to the Jungle. At the 3 and a half minute mark we have another weird key change. Some nice sad guitar over Axl's vocals. The end of the song was the perfect end for the album. Great musicianship by GNR, making a really weird complex song. Appetite for Destruction has sold 26 Million copies Worldwide, 15 Million in the US alone, placing it respectively in the top 40 selling albums of all time worldwide, and 23rd in the US. It is alongside Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, AC/DC's Back in Black, Led Zeppelin IV, and Nirvana's Nevermind as one of the greatest Rock Albums of all time. Producing 3 huge Rock Anthems, and paving the road of Rock N Roll just a bit farther, it's legacy is unquestioned. it's influence on many other music artists is tremendous. This album is without doubt one of the greatest in history. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: guitar1212god, on february 13, 2008

Sound: The band has one of the most entertaining and addictive sounds ever in the history of rock. Slash delivers very skilled technique to the songs. Axl Rose's dynamic voice is key to the album and so are his unique lyrics. Appetite is the signature album for the band including their hits "Sweet Child O' Mine", "Welcome to the Jungle", and "Paradise City". The album was influenced by many well known rock bands such as Aerosmith. This is definitely the best Guns N Roses album and one of the best debut albums of all time. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics leave a huge impression on the listener. They are delivered terrificly and with tons of emotion. The lyrics and music go together like PB and J. The lead singer, Axl Rose, has possibly the most unique voice in rock history. He has a very impressive voice range and can sing with lots of emotion. Axl has one of the most outstanding sounding voices that he has become known throughout rock lovers. The lyrics are also very interesting and change throughout the album in many styles. // 10

Overall Impression: This album compares very well to other albums. Besides the fact that it is the best by GN'R, it has almost no bad songs and no terrible songs. The album is filled with great riffs and memorable tunes. The most impressive songs on the album are "Nightrain", "Sweet Child O' Mine", "Welcome to the Jungle", and "Paradise City". The way the progression works throughout the songs is captivating. These signature songs are have some of the most memorable riffs of all time. I love the consistency with the great music quality. The plentiful guitar solo's are always either melodic, outstanding, or skillful if not all at the same time. I only dislike one song on the album called "My Michelle" which has a repetitive, different sounding structure compared to the other tracks. If this album were taken form me I would, without a doubt, buy another one. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: DeLongeFan182, on may 20, 2008

Sound: This is a pretty hard rockin' album. Personally it is the best album I've ever heard and there is not one bad song on the record at all. That is one thing you don't find usually. The guitar riffs are killer, the bass runs are amazing, and the drums make us the perfect beat to go along with it all. // 10

Lyrics: Axl Rose has an amazing voice and is a great singer. The lyrics are awesome and pretty straight forward. They have everything from drugs, livin' on the street, to love songs. Of course the music went great with the lyrics as it should. I love the more darker take they have when it comes to the drugs, sex, and rock n' roll. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is the best album ever made and the best Guns N' Roses album they have ever put out. The only possible way they could beat this record is if Axl, Izzy, Slash, Duff, and Steve all get back and make a straight-forward rockin' album just like this one. This album is worth every penny and if you are a Guns N' Roses fan and you don't have this one you should most definetly get it. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: JimMRocks, on june 16, 2008

Sound: So let's get something straight, Appetite for Destruction was one of the best, if not, the best metal album of the '80s. I was young while going through my dad's CD collection, (to young for the porno collection), and found appetite. Immediatly I put it in and was blown away. It was filled with raw power and anarchy, and they became my favorite band, before "Welcome to the Jungle" was even finished. But this album was no easy task. A slow start, and heavy drug problems were sure to be the band's demise. But very early one morning, a little TV station named "MTV", (Music Television, famous for getting many bands going with there music videos), agreed to play a Gun's video, but with that one video, kids were flooding to there local malls and music shops to pick up a copy of this album. Guns N' Roses kicked off, and set the record for highest grossing debut album ever, (to this day, 15 million copies sold). The sound on this album couldn't be better. // 10

Lyrics: At that time, the lyrics to this album would seem fragile to my ears. But I myself was living through a tough time, in a rough city, and felt that I could relate. The lyrics were about as real as the band themselves. These guys were right off the streets, packing powerful riffs between Izzy Stradlin and Slash, awesome baselines by Duff McKagan, mood-setting drumming by Steven Adler, and Axl's siren like howl in the begining of "Welcome to the Jungle", to his innocent ballad-screeching at the end of "Rocket Queen". // 10

Overall Impression: People often bash Guns N' Roses because of albums like the Use Your Illusions, and the Spaghetti Incident. But with an album like Appetite, it's hard to follow up. The Standout tracks are "Welcome to the Jungle", "Paradise City", and "Sweet Child O' Mine". My personal favorite is probally "Rocket Queen", a sleazy song featuring Axl "Gettin' it on" with Steven Adler's girlfriend, in the studio. Yes, those moans in the middle of the song are real. But they decide to leave us on a good note with a sweet, innocent ending (there's nothing innocent about that song, but that's why I like it). If this CD was stolen from me, first of all I would beat the hell out of whoever took it if I found them, I would absolutely buy it again. It's a classic, must-have album to complete the collection you've got goin on. // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: Thomasg2488, on november 18, 2008

Sound: Appetite For Destruction brings out the very essence of 1970's rock n' roll and combines it with the raw sound of metal and creates a truly unique piece of art that has been the staple of any band influenced by Guns N' Roses ever since. Slash's (lead guitar) sound and riffs are all based off of Aerosmith's "Rocks" album but have their own feel to it, a heavier more aggressive sound that captivates any audience and any fan of great music. Izzy (rhythm guitar) follows Slash with his own sense of guitar playing, able to keep the song flowing while at the same time creating a new sense of guitar playing. He was also a main song writer for the guitar parts, eight out of twelve songs, for the album and must be given credit were credit is due. Duff plays the bass with a passion that is seen only once in a generation, putting energy and creating grooves that inspire any bass player today. Steve Adler, his drumming created a great beat for the songs and as for Axl, well, his voice is truly one of a kind. No one, not even Steven Tyler, has been able to shriek, yell or curse as high as Axl Rose has. His voice completes the circle for Guns N' Roses debut album, reaching from the low to high in a split second. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are rude, sexual, drunken, horny. And that's how this album should be. From the opening lyrics of "Welcome to the Jungle" to the peaceful words of "Sweet Child o' Mine", the words that spew out from Axl can only be defined as what we want. For the first four songs, he curses, he talks of drugs, sex and life on the L.A. streets. Then he tones it down for "Mr. Brownstone" and "Paradise City" and "My Michelle" (and I am talking about the lyrics not the sound). Then the lyrics show his softer side for "Think About You" and "Sweet Child o' Mine". Then just when you think that this album has gone soft, wrong. The rest of the album goes back into more swearing, sex, drugs and booze. Bringing you on a rollercoaster ride. // 10

Overall Impression: Appetite For Destruction may be Guns N' Roses debut album, put it is still their best one. This album brought back what hard rock, rock n' roll, whatever you want to call it, was supposed to be. In a time where glam metal was the scene, Slash refused to fall to the whammy bars and finger tapping guitar solos and single handly brought the Gibson Les Paul back from extinction using pure raw rock n' roll sound. Axl's screaming and combining of lyrics with Izzy created an epic masterpiece that never gets old, no matter how many times you listen to it. In my opinion, this is really one of the last great albums before rock music began to conform into simple little songs with only the intention of making money (I'm 18 and I'm disgusted by most of the stuff that has come out). We need music like this again. Below is the song list and my critque: "Welcome to the Jungle" - The name says it all, the guitar intro and Axl's police siren wail let you know instantly that you have entered Guns N' Roses territory and only the strong survive in their world of debochery. You're in for a wild ride. (5/5 rating) "It's so Easy" - This song is nothing else but straight talking about how he trys to pick up women from the bars and nightclubs, have their way with them, and as Axl says, tell them to "F*** off!" (4/5 rating) "Nightrain" - A song about drinking and at a low price, trying to live off of what any early band can get. Night train is a cheap wine that gets you wasted very fast and these guys, especially Slash, drink this stuff with pride. The intro, riffs and solo also complement it. (5/5 rating) "Out ta Get Me" - Very heavy guitar work goes on here as Axl describes the lives that he and his band mates live, trying to avoid being caught by police, or the glam metal band fans. Though it wouldn't matter, they'd just break out and do it again. (4/5 rating) "Mr. Brownstone" - This a turning point in the album as now the lyrics and sound become a little less aggressive and begin to have more rtyhym. Mr. Brownstone is a name for the drugs that Guns use on a day to day basis as they continue to dance along with him. (5/5 rating, very underated) "Paradise City" - Arguebly the best song on the album, Paradise City talks about L.A. life and political views all the while having a intro that is known throughout guitar, and whistle to single that it's go time and one of the best solos to let you know that you're only half way there. (5/5 rating) "My Michelle" - For those who don't know, it's about a friend of Axl's who is living life on the streets basically and is somewhat of a bum until she gets her act together. Slash is not as creative here but still has a sick riff going as the other's keep in tone. (4/5 rating) "Think About You" - This song is more or less a beginning to "Sweet Child o' Mine" as it shows Axl's softer side until the very end where it has a dark tone to it. Slash still saves his best for the last few songs. "Sweet Child o' Mine" - If you haven't heard this song, you've been living under a rock. The simple but legendary intro to the wailing solo, all while keeping a clean and meaningful tone, this is a song that comes once in a lifetime and shows what is to come for Guns N' Roses's future ballads. (5/5 rating) "You're Crazy" - Just when you thought they would still sound soft, nope. Axl and Slash come back with more aggression and rage to turn the album back around. You thought that they had gotten past the licks of the first four songs? Think again. (4/5 rating) "Anything Goes" - Axl doesn't care how he gets some, as long as he gets it and goes on to say as the song states. "My way, your way, anything goes tonight!!" Slash continues with the licks, saving just a little more. "Rocket Queen" - Dedicated to a women who was going to have a band by the same name, Slash creates a very unique but wonderful riff while Duff's bass groove comes into full effect. The bridge in between with Axl causing his girl to moan (look that up for yourself), and the message stating that everything will be alright closes out an album that will stand the test of time. Axl Rose - Vocals Slash - Lead Guitar Izzy Stradlin - Rtyhym Guitar Duff McKagan - Bass Steve Adler - Drums // 10

Appetite For Destruction Reviewed by: aaronmcm99, on june 01, 2012

Sound: Guns N Roses are a classic rock band from California, and made up of initially 2 bands, LA Guns And Hollywood Roses, meaning this is largely a rock band with - in my opinion - taking inspiration from glam rockers Bon Jovi and as result, fails to be very innovative, but still sound great, I never enjoyed them that much to begin with but the guitars are great and Axl and Slash are a terrific, duo, but sadly you will hardly ever notice the rest of the people contributed to the band but still good nonetheless. // 9

Lyrics: Axl Rose, has - in my opinion - an average voice, with not much diversity, or innovation to it, however it still provides a good combination to the high guitars, and such, but his really high vocals have long impressed me and I believe to keep singing like that - in tune - is an impressive feat for anyone to accomplish. // 8

Overall Impression: It's without a doubt there best album, and having my favourite tracks "Sweet Child O Mine", "Paradise City" and "Civil War", its no slouch either, but its an acquired taste that will leave a crowd divided, but ignore it niggles and you have possibly the greatest album ever made, and its a lot better than others I can name, every song is great, so go and buy it or live to regret it. // 9

More Guns N Roses reviews rating latest review