GN'R Lies Review

artist: guns n roses date: 01/09/2009 category: compact discs
guns n roses: GN'R Lies
Released: 1989
Genre: Rock
Tones: Outrageous, Angry, Rebellious, Melancholy, Innocent, Acerbic, Reckless, Menacing, Irreverent, Messy, Hedonistic
Styles: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal
 Lyrics: 9.2
 8.8
 9.3
 8.3
GN'R Lies Reviewed by: andrew88, on september 29, 2005

Sound: GN'R Lies was originally released in 1988 as a mini album to keep fans occupied until Guns N' Roses released their long-awaited follow-up to Appetite For Destruction. The first four tracks of the album are from the Live Like A Suicide EP, which was released in 1986, and by 1988 was super-rare. The second four tracks on Lies are all acoustic. // 8

Lyrics: Most of the lyrics on this album (excluding the covers) give the impression that they are autobiographical of Axl's life. Axl's vocals on the live tracks are good, but his voice had not quite matured into what we hear on Appetite. He sings the acoustic songs superbly. // 7

Overall Impression: 01. Reckless Life - the album opener begins with one of the band members (probably Duff) shouting "Hey f--kers! Suck on Guns N' f--kin' Roses!" Then after a couple of measures of drums, the guitars kick in with a great riff. The song is about someone living a very rock 'n' roll lifestyle, taking everything to extremes. The guitar solo is reasonably long and complex, hinting at what an excellent guitarist Slash would become. 02. Nice Boys (originally by Rose Tattoo) - this track begins, like Reckless Life, with drums. The guitars then enter, with Izzy playing simple power chords and Slash using a slide. The chorus of this song contains the infamous line, "Nice boys don't play rock 'n' roll," perfectly describing Guns' lifestyle at the time. 03. Move To The City - this song begins with both guitars playing the same riff, but slightly differently. Then the bass and drums come in, setting the song off nicely. It has a slower, more relaxed beat that the previous two tracks. The song is describing someone not unlike Axl moving from a small town into the big city, and experiencing what city life is really like. It sounds like there are horns being played in this song. If it was played live I can't imagine them having a horns section, so they were probably added in after or something. Axl one spoke in an interview about how the four songs were recorded In a studio, then screaming of fans was put over the top. He may have been joking, but it's hard to tell. 04. Mama Kin (originally by Aerosmith) - this song has a very catchy main riff, courtesy of Joe Perry of Aerosmith. During the verses, Slash and Izzy alternate in who plays. I'm not really sure what this song is about, other than keeping in touch with your Mother. 05. Patience - the first of the acoustic songs begins with Duff counting in. There is a very relaxed atmosphere about the recording of this song. It sounds as though they were just sat around in the studio playing it (as seen in the video). It is an excellent ballad about taking your time in a relationship. There are no drums or bass in this song, with Duff playing the third acoustic guitar instead. 06. Used To Love Her - this is a humorous song about getting sick of your wife/girlfriend and having to kill her and bury her in the back yard. One of Axl's ex-girlfriends, maybe? The guitar melody is quite repetitive but the two excellent guitar solos make up for it. 07. You're Crazy - a faster, punked-up version of this song appeared of "Appetite..." but it was originally written acoustically, and recorded that was for this album. I prefer it this was, because it has a nicer, funky feel to it. 08. One In A Million - this song is notorious for its racist and homophobic lyrical content. Axl has offered several different explanations as to why he felt the need to include such obscenities, but they are so contradictory most people will never know the true reason. It is a shame, because the song is actually very good, and if there were different lyrics it could have gone on to be a hit. Similar to Patience, it has no bass. There are two acoustic guitars played by Slash and Duff, and an electric played by Izzy. There is some percussion in the song, but no proper drums. Overall I think this album is very good. I wouldn't say it's better than Appetite or the Use Your Illusion set, but they are very hard to beat. I would recommend it to any GN'R fan, but if you were new to Guns I would suggest buying one of the others first. // 7

GN'R Lies Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 10, 2004

Sound: This album seems to be split into two GNR styles. There is a raw attitude that they announce with the first four tracks taken from LIve Like a Suicide. Many have not neard these songs but I recommend them as a starter and a lead into the style of GNR. The songs are flashy and quick with outrageous guitar licks. Although Axl sings with a noticeable nasal sound he puts great enthusiasm in his words. The second half is a change of sound but not of any less quality. Perhaps the best song is One in A Million, a much antagonized song but catchy all the same. With four songs done accoustically, GNR shows us the versatility of Slash, Duff, and Izzy. // 8

Lyrics: Axl is a genious thats all. He may be remembered in the annals of Rock N Roll for his voice, which is clearly his trademark, but he should also be scrutinized for his lyrics. They are deep in all his songs but I think he dug done into his soul to create the songs on Lies.He is brutally honest and speaks his mind. He shows us a bold point of view with absolutely no regret. // 10

Overall Impression: AMAZING. Buy it and you will know what I am talking about. The tragic saga of the greatest rock band to come out of the eighties, and perhaps the saviors of modern music, Guns N Roses shows brilliance in eight unforgettable songs. They scratch the surface of a bright future before their catastrophic debacle. // 10

GN'R Lies Reviewed by: SuperEgo35, on march 28, 2005

Sound: To set the record straight, yes, the first 4 tracks from the elusive LP "Live Like A Suicide" were not live, but recorded with the band in a large room, the crowd was added later. Very convincing none the less. The last four acoustic/clean songs offered a variety of tones from the more traditional acoustic sounds of Patience to the oddly-miked clean sounds of You're Crazy, so a nice mix of acoustic and alectric tones on One In A Million. // 10

Lyrics: To me, Axl Rose was the ultimate in writing a commercially attractive song without losing the personal meaning of the song. He often wrote of people he knew, and experiences specific to him, yet held such a wide audience captivated. In other words, the lyrics were good. Two of the first 4 songs were covers though, Rose Tattoo's Nice Boys (great band, I recommend them to anyone who likes a kick ass rock n' roll band) and Mama Kin by the immortal Aerosmith. One In A Million, though controversial was again about experiences he suffered through, and the explanation on the front cover of the album should suffice for any doubters. // 10

Overall Impression: When I first got this album, I must have listened to it from beginning to end a good 25 times before switching to another CD. It offers a wide spectrum of sound from the hard rocking Reckless Life, bluesy grind of Move To The City to the Zeppelin-esque You're Crazy (my God doesn't he sound like Robert Plant on that track?) and the acoustic ballad Patience. Surely there's something there for everyone. // 10

GN'R Lies Reviewed by: «ÃFireÏnside», on march 25, 2005

Sound: Sound on this album is very good. The first 4 tracks are live (though rumors say that these tracks are "fake live," but still sound good. If I remember correctly only one of these tracks are original GN'R material. The last 4 are acoustic, and the sound comes out great. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics I thought were very good. The song One In A Million has caused a lot of resentment due to it's racial lyrics, but that being said the song is very good. The other songs are extremely good, from Patience, to the acoustic and original version of You're Crazy (sped-up electric version can be found on Appetite For Destruction), to the altogether funny of I Used To Lover Her. // 8

Overall Impression: This is the 2nd of 4 albums from Guns N' Roses, after Appetite and Before the Illusion albums (I'm ignoring the Spaghetti Incident). Not their best album, but I love the acoustic songs, something you won't find on the other albums. My favourite is probably Patience, in my opinion one of thier best songs. The live tracks don't measure up to the acoustic (or to any songs off other albums except for the crap of My World), but it's worth the listen every once in a while. I got this album for $9 Canadian and would definitly buy it again should anything happen to it. // 10

GN'R Lies Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 09, 2004

Sound: This album sounds awesome. Patience, Used To Love Her and One In A Million are definitely my favourite songs. Half the songs are on an acoustic which sounds cool. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are really cool especially in Used To Love Her and the whistling in Patience. A lot of controversy was around the lyrics in One In A Million but that doesn't bother me. // 10

Overall Impression: Not as good as Appetite for Destruction or the Illusions but still great to listen to. I can only hope that Chinese Democracy will be as good. Guns n' Roses are definitely the greatest rock band. // 10

GN'R Lies Reviewed by: trainwreq, on april 05, 2006

Sound: The sound of this album at first (if you've never heard anything about it) is a little bit surprising. Opens up with "Hey f--kers suck on guns and f--kin' roses!" then tears into a quick drum roll into a driving guitar riff. As for the first few songs, this album was recorded at a show, and is live. As for my opinion, it sounds very garage-bandish. Not that it's a bad thing. Think of it as a live extension of Appetite. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics come straight off the street. They show Axl's ordeals, like in Appetite. There is also a famous ballad that all of you have heard of on it. Patience. Same sort of cheesy material written so the band could get some tang. Definately something to relate to if you're that kind of person. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to all the other albums, its definately worth the money. One of my favorite albums from them. The acoustic tracks are great. I love the acoustic rendition of "You're Crazy." Axl sort of over sings it, but it's his song, so he has the right. // 10

GN'R Lies Reviewed by: PRWNDWIA, on may 24, 2006

Sound: The first half of the album is before appetite for destruction so the sound I pretty much raw and in your face, and the second half is very much softer since its acoustic, but it still manage to cling onto that rawness, with one in a million and you're crazy. // 8

Lyrics: The first few songs are about leaving home and going into the big city, and joining a big old rock N'roll band. Axl sings these well, I cant imagine anyone else singing them really. Patience is a lovely ballet sang beutifully by axl and with some great lyrics. Used To Love Her is well written joke song as is one in a million, key word there joke, well One In A Million isn't but you need to look at the deeper meaning. You're Crazy is performed acoustically really well too. // 9

Overall Impression: 01. Reckless Life - gotta have one of the best intros ever "Hey f--kers suck on Guns N' f--king Roses." Then leads into axls high voice, has catchy and simple chorus, and sounds very raw. 02. Nice Boys - I love this song one of my favourite on the album. Is typical sounding guns and another great memorable chorus. 03. Move To The City - very typical Guns, sounds like it could have gone on Appetite. 04. Mama Kin - a great cover and another great intro "This is a song about your f--king mother." 05. Patience - a lovely ballet, A reason to buy this album! This song is amazing, axl sings it perfectly. 06. Used To Love Her - a Great song with a great bluesy solo and some great comical lyrics. 07. You're Crazy - I love this verison perhaps more than the electric version. 08. One In A Million - the famous song, nothing really special apart from the lyrics. A great little filler album, which definetly deserves a place in your CD collection! // 8

GN'R Lies Reviewed by: Slash fan 93, on december 18, 2006

Sound: This is a great album by a great band. They used some good songs they played before they became big, and used a fake audience to make it sound live, which was a pretty cool idea to mix up the EP. In my opinion, the second half was the best. A major misconception of this album is that Patience is the best song and that it's the only thing worth listening to. I Used to Love Her is a very repetitive and fun song to play, and it's very simple and easy to listen to. Patience is calm and slow, and I'll admit it's good, but it's definitely not the best. The unplugged version of Your Crazy is very good, probably as good or better than the one on Appetite for Destruction. One in a Million, however, is my favorite. People may say it's racist or homophobic, but who really cares? I see so many black rappers out there, unbelievably racist, and no one cares. Axl is doing nothing more than the common rapper does today, and if no one cares about 50 Cent or whatever his name is, then why does Axl have to deal with all the media crap? Really, that songs is one of the greatest songs GN'R ever wrote, and it deserves more than what has happened. // 10

Lyrics: Axl is the greatest frontman to ever live and he's never been afraid to show it. Appetite for Destruction's screaching lyrics to the calmer, softer Patience. He can do it all. He'll never be forgotten, and even 20 years later, he can rip away at Chinese Democracy like he's 20 years old again. // 10

Overall Impression: This entire album was truly amazing. Just because Axl says the "N" word or "F" word or whatever, doesn't mean it needs to be ignored. One in a Million is an awesome song, so is Patience and Used To Love Her. Although the older songs aren't that great, I think the unplugged half of the album outweighs the bad, so it's definitely a 10. Even if you are new to GN'R, don't be afraid to get this album, but I would suggest Appetite for Destruction or Use Your Illusion albums first. But if you still want this album, listen to One In A Million and Patience first. No one can be disappointed, especially with One In A Million. // 10

GN'R Lies Reviewed by: wangmaster, on march 12, 2007

Sound: This is the 1988 stop-gap EP after Appetite For Destruction. The first 4 tracks are from "Live like a suicide" and the last 4 are acoustic. it's classic GN'R sound really. awesome guitars, Axl's amazing wails and fierce drums and bass. The first four songs aren't actually live, they were recorded in a studio, with the live effects added after. In one word: awesome. // 10

Lyrics: Apart from the 2 covers ("Nice Boys" and "Mama Kin") the lyrics are largely based on the life and times of Axl Rose himself. From being harassed by people in the train station ("One In A Million") to moving to the city, they are pretty good. The music and lyrics fit perfectly, and Axl rose has to be my favourite singer, as he's so versatile and generally kick ass. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is one of the GNR under rated albums. the first 4 tracks are good, and the last 4 are freakin' sweet. Best songs are Mama Kin, Used To Love Her, You're Crazy and of course One In A Million. I love more or less everything about it. The version of "You're Crazy" nails the electric version, because it's kinda funky. If it were stolen, I'd hunt down the guy who nicked it, take it back and kill him, and then bury him in my back yard, because I'd be happier than way. // 10

GN'R Lies Reviewed by: pawnshopguitars, on august 18, 2008

Sound: The first half of the album hits you full on in the face, with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer with a breeze block nailed to the end of it. Machine gun style drum intros followed by gut wrenching guitar riffs. An interesting point to note is the fact that at this time Slash was still using his BC Rich Mockingbird, so these tracks have a very 80's contemporary feel, but with the intensity we associate with GN'R. A great way to see how GN'R developed, even though two of these songs are covers. The second half is a much more relaxed feel, giving me the impression of a few chilled out writing sessions with some beers. A great contrast to the "Live" (yes, it was faked) feel of the first half, this feels like they are sitting in a room with you playing. A great mix of acoustic and electric guitars, showcasing the versatility and willingness to try anything that GnR possessed. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically this album isn't quite what the others in the GN'R catalogue are, but this is understandable considering it was only a stop gap album, and two of the songs of the eight are covers. Having said that, Patience shines through as a love song, with Axl's delivery adding an intensity to the song which takes the gently stroked guitars to a whole new level. I can't talk about lyrics without touching on One in a Million. A song full of venom and hate, this song was taken to be an attack on homosexuals, black people and immigrants. Attack or no, this caused a storm of controversy around the band. If you look at the song as a whole however, what you are given is a pretty gritty account of how scary a big city is if you're not used to it, and a telling slice of Axl's life. // 8

Overall Impression: This was the last GN'R album I got, and although it couldn't compare to appetite or the illusions (obviously), it did enough to hook me to the point of listening to it non-stop for a few days. For a GnR fan, I would say buy this after the better known albums as a nice change of pace from guns' heavier material. A must buy. // 10

GN'R Lies Reviewed by: the1967mustang, on january 09, 2009

Sound: First off, this is a very good album. Came out in the late 80's when they were all on top of their game. Not totally a studio album, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. The sound is normal kick-butt GN'R sound, with the addition to some awsome acoustic pieces. Definetly worth buying and listening to. The first 4 songs are all recorded live. The last are studio recorded. 01.Reckless Life: the starter to it all, and also a live track, it is pretty good song, but not the best on the album. Fast song, great for getting you started on the album. 02.Nice Boys: a cover song, pretty good, but I wish they would have picked a different song to do a cover with, because I don't like the song. Their playing is all good, it is just the song I don't like. 03.Move To The City: awesome riff first starts it off, one of the better songs on they album. They did a good job on this one. 04.Mama Kin: originally by Aerosmith, this is the best live song I have heard by them. I love this song. Very catchy, and eaily one of the best on the album. Great closer to the live songs on GN'R Lies. 05.Patience: the most known song off the album, probaly because it is pretty darn good. First acoustic song one the album, starts with Axl whistling with guitars, and gets harder at the end. Great song, first one I heard before I got the album. 06.Used To Love Her: the faster song of the acoustic songs, and to me, one of the weakest songs on the album. The song does't really apeal to me, but that might change. The sound of the song is good, though. 07.You're Crazy: originally on Appetite For Destruction, it is a VERY good song. I love this song also. Axl sounds great on this song. The guitars riffs are good too. They must have known it was good if they wanted it on 2 albums. 08.One In A Million: the perfect ender to this album. This is my favorite acoustic song. It has had some controversy, but it is my favorite. One of the best GN'R songs. // 9

Lyrics: I thought that the singing and lyrics were great on this album, but Used to Lover Her holds me back a little on this one. I just don't like the lyrics for that one that much, but the others, great. To me, I love Axls singing. He may no be a good "singer" to some people, because he might not know all the octaves or whatever, but he fits this music so perfectly it's not even funny. I couldn't imagine anybody else as the singer for Guns N Roses. Hopefully, we will never have to see that happen. // 9

Overall Impression: If you like any Guns N' Roses, get this. All it is is a shorter Appetite For Destruction, but with more acoustic songs, which was mostly the point of this album. My favorite song from the live songs was Mama Kin, and from the acoustic songs was One In A Million. I love the song choices, and instrument choices, and the sound of the album. Don't really hate anything about it. If it was stolen, I would buy it again. // 10

More Guns N Roses reviews rating latest review