Greatest Hits Review

guns n roses: Greatest Hits
Released: Mar 23, 2004
Genre: Hard Rock
Label: Geffen
For this being the only Guns N' Roses greatest hits CD ever to be released in the entire twenty-eight years since their original formation, it's a lot better than you'd think it would be.
 Lyrics: 9.6
 9.4
 9.6
 9.2
Greatest Hits Reviewed by: UG Team, on march 24, 2004

Sound: There are no liner notes, the cardboard packaging is flimsy, the remastering isn't notable, and any compilation that contains more songs from The Spaghetti Incident? than G N' R Lies is unbalanced. That said, it does offer the biggest hits ? "Welcome to the Jungle," "Sweet Child o' Mine," "Patience," "Paradise City," "Don't Cry," "You Could Be Mine," "November Rain," "Live and Let Die" ? which may satisfy some fans. Still, there's not only a number of hits and important songs missing ? anywhere from the charting singles "Nightrain" and "Estranged" to the essential album tracks "It's So Easy," "Mr. Brownstone," and "Used to Love Her," among many others ? the preponderance of epics, ballads, and covers. A full five of the record's 14 tracks are covers gives an inaccurate portrait of the band, effectively neutering its reckless rage. // 10

Lyrics: As it written on a box -- it's a "Greatest Hits". That means only this: it have not only the best guitar sounds off the whole GN'R era, but a most impressive lyrics from their shiny days. // 10

Overall Impression: Otherwise known as the album Axl tried to kill, Guns n' Roses' Greatest Hits is essentially a last-ditch effort by Geffen to get some GNR product, any GNR product out on the shelves. And, really, who can blame them? It was ready to surface in March 2004, when Rose, supported by his numerous ex-bandmates, filed a lawsuit against Geffen claiming the record was unauthorized, would do damage to their reputation, and distract from Chinese Democracy, which was, of course, no closer to completion than it was a year prior. Their lawsuit was denied, and voila, here is it! It's easy to see why the band was irked by Greatest Hits, since it bears all the hallmarks of a slapdash compilation, hastily assembled by the label as a way to buy time between releases. Guns n' Roses aren't necessarily a band that's well suited to hits compilations, since their albums capture the raw, messy vitality of their music. Here, they sound tamer than they ever were, even if the song selection does follow the charts closely. But even if you sympathize with the band's argument that this is not an especially flattering picture of the band, it's easier to sympathize with the label since there are undoubtedly some fans that would like a hits comp, no matter how uneven it is, but the label has been stuck with no more than a whisper of a promise of a new GNR record for so long they've been left to manufacture their own. It is hard to give a rating for this record, because it's not something new for occasional listeners and diehard fans (except for maybe Sympathy For the Devil, which was never released before on any GN'R record). Nevertheless, it's Guns N Roses, multi-platinum hard rockers from L.A., and they deserve a top mark, but for the lack of anything new - a strong four. // 8

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: BlueOyster23, on august 01, 2005

Sound: Excellent sound, from the opening of "Welcome To The Jungle" to the closing of "Sympathy For The Devil," the hard rock/heavy metal styles are shown on this album, as well as the softer ballads. // 10

Lyrics: Axl Rose may not be the best singer in the world, but the songs he sang, the voice fitted perfectly. 01. Welcome To The Jungle - best opening song ever. The wild guitar style goes, and then the power chords come in to bring in the heavy lyrics. Based on LA, which I have been to, the lyrics fit really well. 02. Sweet Child O' Mine - softer style song than the first, this song was originally written for Axl's girlfriend. The circus-style plays, and then the chords come in with perfect timing, then when the circus riff dies out, Axl comes in. 03. Patience - once again shows the band's soft side. This acoustic song features excellent lyrics, but no bass. 04. Paradise City - one of the biggest rock anthems. Everyone knows this song's chorus 05. Knockin' On Heaven's Door - cover of the original song by Bob Dylan. Since Bob was a great songwriter, the lyrics go fine, and the choir in the end fits perfectly. 06. Civil War - anti-war song with excellent lyrics, probably my favorite song, lyrically, on the album. 07. You Could Be Mine - written entirely by Izzy Stradlin, though credited differently, this hard rock song features strong instrument parts, with strong lyrics. 08. Don't Cry - the chorus of this song was supposedly said by a woman to Axl. The saying made an excellent song chorus, with a softer tone. 09. November Rain - this epic ballad features some of the greatest lyrics on the album, along with a minute long piano solo, and a two minute long guitar solo. Based on the book "Without You" by Del James. 10. Live And Let Die - originally by Paul McCartney & Wings, this song has a shortage of lyrics, but great instrumentals. 11. Yesterdays - good lyrics, but I would have preferred Izzy to sing this one, Axl's voice was too high for this. 12. Ain't It Fun - orinally written by Cheetah Chrome, according to the album, but there is some controversy on this. Good lyrics though. 13. Since I Don't Have You - an older Doo-wop song by James Beaumont & The Skyliners, not a predictable GNR song, and not one of my favorites, but Axl's additional phrase in the song (which I can't put here) provided plenty of good humor. 14. Sympathy For The Devil - originally recorded by the Rolling Stones, this song features amazing lyrics to the devil's life. // 10

Overall Impression: Definately compares to other GN'R albums, however I think it should have been the "Best Of GN'R", and been a double album, with "Coma," "Estranged" and more. // 10

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: A3r0sm1th, on september 15, 2008

Sound: My first impression of Guns n' Roses at first was "the lead singer sounds like a girl". Over time, I've grown to love Axl's unigue voice and I've always loved the original band's sound! I love every single song on the album... they're heavy rock/metal sound is classic and will always be remembered. Slash has a solo in practically every song and just shreds the strings in such great style. This is my favorite Guns n' Roses album! It's great to have their best songs all on one CD! // 10

Lyrics: Like I said before, Axl caught me off guard at first with his unique, high pitched voice. I personally think it's a great style and blends well with the music. The lyrics in their songs don't always make sense, since half the time they wrote this stuff they were loaded on who knows what. The song that I think has the best lyrics and a great political statement is "civil war". It's a very powerful song about the brutality of war and corupt leaders. The lyrics go well with the music style and Axl is a great singer! // 9

Overall Impression: I can't compare these guys to anyone in particular, mostly because they have a lead singer with such a unique voice and a guitarist who plays his guitar tuned half a step down all of the time. They are obviouslly rock/metal legends because of this. I think some of their best songs are 'Sweet Child o' Mine', 'Civil War', 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door' and especially 'November Rain' which utilizes an orchestra in the backround. During the time this song was released, an orchestra in a rock song hadn't been done to much and suddenlly became cool. I love the solos Slash dulls out in every single one of their songs and the guitar riffs are incredible as well. Guitarists should strive to play as great as Slash. If it were stolen, damaged, or lost I would buy it again in the blink of an eye. A must have for any Guns n' Roses fan around the world! // 10

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: MetallicAddicct, on april 19, 2004

Sound: This album it's great, well, if you like GNR, it has its really greatest hits, from Welcome to the Jungle to November Rain, Live and Let Die, Dont Cry(Original), it was very criticised, because, it didnt had the authorization of the band, but, really those who wanted Chinese Democracy, I would tell, Axl voice is gone, and, only he remains from original GNR so, why do you prefer the hits of the best years of GNR, or you want new songs (without Slash) I know there are songs missing but, those are the best of them (in my PERSONAL opinion, I would have added I used to love her) anyway, its a great album. // 8

Lyrics: My impression of the lyrics, what could I say it's greatest hits, and although its re-masterized, it is OK. // 10

Overall Impression: It cannot be compared to any other album or artists. Most impressive songs?: -Welcome to the jungle -Sweet child o' mine -Knockin' on heavens door -Dont Cry(original) -November Rain -Live and let die(written by Paul and Linda McCartney) -Sympathy for the devil(soundtrack of Interview with the vampire) What do I love?: The presentation of the CD, its like all scratched, like if it was very used. What do I hate?: Maybe that it doesnt have the authorization of the band. If it were stolen or lost?: Definetly I would get another, or download the songs and burn it myself. Is it worth buying at all?: Only if you like (the original) Guns N' Roses. // 10

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 18, 2004

Sound: The sound of this album is so great. I was not a very hardcore GNR fan but after I bought this album that changed. I now know why GNR are such a respected band. I like the hardeness of Welcome to the Jungle, especially the intro. I also love the innovative sounds of Paradice City (my favorite), Sweet Child O' Mine, You could be mine. So rad. If your a heavy metal fan dont buy it but if you love hard rock from the 80's this is a must have. // 10

Lyrics: I like the way this guys put a nice game of words in this album. While some songs have a reckless desire for fun and (Welcome to the Jungle, Paradice City,Live and Let Die) others have very thoughtful lyrics worthy of being called a masterpiece (Civil War, November Rain, Patience). I like Axl's voice. Even though he has not the sweetest voice in the world, his screechy yet meaningful and unique voice it's the perfect partner for Slash's master guitar work. Slash is the best guitar player ever, after Hendrix, in my opinion. // 10

Overall Impression: So it's basically this: 01. Welcome To The Jungle 5 out of 5. Easyly, the greatest intro song 4 any album. 02. Sweet Child O' Mine 5 out of 5. Their greatest hit. The greatest guitar work of all time. 03. Patience 4 out of 5. Great acoustic song. Got a 4 because sometimes I don't feel like hearing it. 04. Paradice City 5 out of 5. My favorite song of this album. So many excellent guitar solos in an excellent 6 minute and 46 seconds symphony. 05. Knockin' On Heaven's Door 5 out of 5: 1 of the greatest covers I've ever heard. Excellent song. 06. Civil War:5 Out Of 5 Easily, the most meaningful song in the album. Civil war is described in a very powerful way. 1 of the best lyrics I've ever heard. 07. You Could Be Mine 5 out of 5: Another excellent song. Love the intro, love the lyrics, love the song. 08. Don't Cry (original) 5 out of 5. An excellent love song, only toppled by Sweet Child O' Mine. Love the distortion at the ending. 09. November Rain 5 out of 5.Another masterpiece. ... "everybody needs sometime on their own". Simply love the lyrics. 10. Live And Let Die 4 out of 5. Great guitar work. Nice but not 1 of my favs. 11. Yesterdays 4.5 out of 5. This 1 is great. Love the way Axl says "Yesterdays" while accompanying Slash's guitar work. 12. Ain't It Fun 3.5 out of 5. Good but a little meaningless. Worth hearing though. 13. Since I Don't Have You 3.5 out of 5. Good song but only great when your with your girl. Nice love song. 14. Sympathy For The Devil 2 out of 5. The only song I don't like from them. But doesn't affect the album at all. This album is worth every cent. I just regret not buying it before that I did. I would buy it again or I would burn it if it was stolen. I love every inch of it except the track 14. // 10

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: ChubbyLove, on february 27, 2005

Sound: This CD was the first CD I bought from GN'R, some of the greatest songs, but I could have been presented a little better, I mean, maybe a 2 disc? they're missing Night Train, Mr. Brownstone, Rocket Queen, Mama Kin, Estranged, Dead Horse. Bah no bodies perfect, at least they hit the main more popular songs, "Welcome To The Jungle", "Sweet Child O' Mine", "Paradise City", "Knocking On Heaven's Door", "November Rain" and so on and so on, Songs that I'll tellin to my kids to listen to. Slash can really shred the 6 string, the guitar riffs/solos in every song are some of the greatest guitar ever. // 10

Lyrics: Since it's a greatest hits album, it's kinda awkward to answer this, but whatever, I like how Axl Rose sings, He can really hammer down on some headbanging, mosh-pit music, but you listen to songs like "Patience", "Don't Cry" and "November Rain", thier nice and slow and mellow, Patience I find to be kind of a sad song, makes you want to cry, November Rain, is the same way, and Don't Cry is like, the ultimate break up song. // 10

Overall Impression: I almost lost this CD! Oh my god I was so choked, not only because it was my First GN'R CD, but I was in love with it! It's one of the main reasons why I'm a Huge Fan of Guns N' Roses. Good guitar, 90% good song choice (coulda had some of the songs I said up above). A definent must have for hardcore Guns N' Roses fans, or new fans. Will there be a new GN'R CD? Tune in to find out. // 10

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: gnr_fan_17, on november 12, 2005

Sound: This maybe GN'R's Greatest Hits CD, but is is not the greatest hits. True, it does have the classics such as Welcome To The Jungle, Sweet Child O' Mine, Paradise City, Knockin' On Heaven's Door and Don't Cry, but what about Nightrain, Mr. Brownstone and Estranged? All in all though, it does contain all of the essentials from GN'R. The sound is awesome, but, what else could you expect from GNR in their prime? Damn awesome! // 10

Lyrics: Axl Rose is truly one of the most unique voices ever. His whiney yet powerful voice is world-renowned. Spitting out lyrics about sex, drugs and apathy, the sound of his voice fits perfectly with Slash's amazing guitar riffs. // 10

Overall Impression: A short summary of all the songs: 01. Welcome To The Jungle - awesome intro. One of their best. 02. Sweet Child O' Mine - their greatest and the greatest guitar performance of all time. 03. Patience - good acoustic but something you wouldn't always want to listen to. 04. Paradise City - great guitar riffs, great chorus. 05. Knockin' On Heaven's Door - good song. It was the intro that caught me at first. 06. Civil War - anti-war song with more than excellent lyrics. 07. You Could Be Mine - GN'R back to it's bluesy hard rock base. I love the guitar riffs. 08. Don't Cry - one of their best for me. 09. November Rain - a great epic which doesn't feel 8 minutes long because the great solos. I liked the part at the end. 10. Live And Let Die - not one of my favorites, but still good. 11. Yesterdays - just ok. 12. Ain't It Fun - didn't like it that much. Couldn't understand anything they said. 13. Since I Don't Have You - I think they were trying too much. This is isn't the GN'R we all know and love. 14. Sympathy For The Devil - Rolling Stones cover. All in all, this was a pretty good cd although they missed out on some chart-topping hits like Nightrain, Mr. Brownstone and My Michelle. If it got stolen, I'd definitely buy it again. // 9

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: mrmoo182, on march 23, 2006

Sound: I got this CD off a kid at school for my Pizza Pops. It's also the CD that first got me into GN'R. As the title might suggest, this a collection of some their most popular songs, mostly their ballads (such as November Rain and Patience), with only a couple straight up rock songs, like their most well known song, Welcome To The Jungle, and the timeless classic, Paradise City. There are 14 songs in total, from all their full length albums, and the never-before-seen-on-a-GNR-album Rolling Stone cover, "Sympathy For The Devil" All the songs are great, but there are a few other songs I would've liked to have seen on this CD, but hey, these are the songs that got the radio play, so don't expect any sex or drugs. // 9

Lyrics: Like I mentioned eariler, most of these songs are ballads, but luckily, Axl is the master writer of ballads, so all these songs are wonderfully written (perhaps I should also mention that many of the songs of covers, but they're covers of timeless songs, like Knockin' On Heaven's Door). Axl is one of the best rock singers ever. So no complaints here. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I'd say if you were looking for a great album filled with great rock ballads, look no further. However, if you are first looking to get into GN'R, I'd say get Appetite For Destruction first, It's one of the best rock albums ever, and get Use Your Illusion II while your at it. But if your just a casual GN'R fan, this is the album to pick up. My favorite songs on the album are "Knockin' On Heaven's Door," "Paradise City," "Sweet Child O' Mine" and "November Rain." If It were lost or stolen, I probably would'nt get it again, since the album is already ripped to my PC. // 9

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: E V H 5150, on november 08, 2006

Sound: This CD is the best "Greatest Hits" style CD that I currently own, excluding multiple-disc sets. This CD does justice to the GN'R name, and all those affiliated with it. It also covers a wider spectrum of their sound than most other compilations of greatest hits. And in my opinion, every song on this CD deserves to be here. The CD starts off with "Welcome to the Jungle" and then quickly progresses to a softer mood with songs like "Sweet Child O' Mine", "Patience", "Paradise City", and staying the course with a cover of Bob Dylan's "Knocking on Heaven's Door". Smoothly, the album progresses through to "Civil War", which I find to be a great show of the acoustic abilities of GN'R. But then there is a less-than-subtle transition with a fast drum beat in "You Could Be Mine". And then they get back into a softer mood yet again with "Don't Cry", and then "November Rain", a a song that shows that there is a place for pianos in rock music. Then it continues with a cover of Paul McCartney's "Live and Let Die", which contin ues with the piano theme for a point, and then back into heavier rock smoothly within the song. After that, the album progresses to the nostalgic song "Yesterday", and then with a remorseful "Ain't It Fun", the bluesy "Since I Don't Have You", and finishes with "Sympathy for the Devil". I wouldn't consider any of the songs on this CD a musical innovation in the context that this CD is not the debut of songs like "Paradise City" and "Sweet Child". The sound is Guns N' Roses, and if you are starting to like them, I suggest you get this CD first, or the Appetite For Destruction CD. // 10

Lyrics: Maybe I'll use this paragraph to focus less on lyrics and more on instrumentation and vocalization. I will say, however, that the lyrics are all great, make sense, and Axl Rose is a great singer, with his own unique, unmistakable sound. When it comes to lead guitar, you've got Slash. In my book, he is the #2 guitarist of all time, just below Eddie Van Halen and just above Randy Rhoades. But let's not argue this, because each is good in their own respect. Acoustic, clean, dirty or bluesy, Slash can do it, and do it well. And he's a damn fine player. As for bass, really I wasn't geniunely impressed. Then again, the GN'R bassist is still a much better bassist than I am, so who am I to criticize? Bass is definitely used as a rythym instrument here. And the rythym guitar's chords match perfectly with all the lead parts, so the rythym section is covered just fine. I'm not exactly a fan of drums, and sometimes the drum beat seems to be the entire focus of the song. But that's not Guns N' Roses. The drummer definitely keeps the beat well, and is pretty constant, which is good, especially for a rythym instrument. // 9

Overall Impression: The question is not if this CD is comparable to a Greatest Hits compilations, but the opposite. My personal favorites on this CD are "Live And Let Die", "Sweet Child O' Mine", and "Paradise City", in no order. I wish this CD had more of the faster and harder songs from GN'R, but I'm more likely to listen to a softer song that makes sense rather than something that is obscene and senseless, which GN'R does not do as far as my knowledge goes. If it were lost/stolen, I would buy a blank disc or borrow one from a friend. I'm old-school and still buy CDs, so whenever I get a new CD it upload it to my computer. That way I always have the data, so if it got scratched/stolen/cracked/lost or anything else that can happen, I would be able to still listen to the CD. This is a great CD. It's Guns N' Roses. 'Nuff said. // 10

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: AdamDK, on january 04, 2007

Sound: The sound is amazing on this the album. The album starts off with one of GnR's most popular songs, Welcome To The Jungle, and then it follows up with Sweet Child O' Mine and Patience. These three as the first three songs are awesome because it means it starts off heavy, gets a bit softer in Sweet Child O' Mine, then you get Patience, a slow, acoustic song. After that it picks up with Paradise City, and then moves onto some of the 'Use Your Illusions' album songs, which are in general, much softer than those from Appetite for Destruction. The guitar work is great on all the songs, and Axl's voice is at his best on this album. The album picks out a lot of GnR' songs that stand out. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics? Fabulous. I rarely use the word fabulous, but in this cae, they really are. Civil War is an anti-war song with some really meaningful lyrics, then we have the likes of You Could be Mine and Yesterdays with strong lyrics, and songs like Novemebr Rain and Don't Cry which have a soft side to them with a rock edge. The lyrics are definately overall, fabulous. // 9

Overall Impression: The album definately pin points some of GN'R's best songs, but it also misses out classics like Nightrain, and Mr Brownstone, etc. The most impressive songs of the album are in my opinion, the songs from Appetite for Destruction, although there is a few songs from the 'Use Your Illusions' album which stand out above all, like November Rain and Don't Cry. This is definately a good buy for any true Guns N' Roses fan. // 10

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: philipp122, on july 21, 2008

Sound: I really like this album because it's such an amazing example of the sounds and styles Guns N' Roses have covered over the years of playing together. From the fun, heavy rock songs like Welcome to the Jungle and Paradise City to the amazingly well thought-out and beautifully sounding ballads like November Rain and Don't Cry, the album has it all. Well, almost anyways. This album needs two songs: Nightrain and Rocket Queen. This is, after all a Greatest Hits album and those two songs greatly reflect the musical genius and origniality of Guns N' Roses, so putting them in place of two of the five cover songs on the album would have been a little better. Other than that, amazing album. // 9

Lyrics: As we all know, the band Guns N' Roses has a lot of musical versatility. That's what makes them amazing: no matter what style, they do a great job of reflecting that style with their music and lyrics. That's what makes them amazing: they don't just play the music, they feel it. The lyrics of Civil War really make you think and listen; the crazy lyrics of Welcome to the Jungle and Paradise City are fun and exciting, and the lyrics of all of the ballads on the album are emotional and moving. 10 out of 10; Guns N' Roses write amazing lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: It's hard to say how it compares to their other albums because it's a compilation of songs from each album. I would have to say that it's a good mix, though they should have included one or two more heavy songs like Rocket Queen. The most impressive songs are either Civil War or November Rain. The most fun songs to listen to are Welcome to the Jungle and Paradise City (cliche, I know). I would definitely rebuy this album if it were lost. // 9

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: tryhonesty, on december 17, 2008

Sound: As Most of you know, Guns N Roses was one of the greatest rock bands of all time until they split up. They are back today, except it's only Axel Rose and a band behind him. The styles on the record are Rock, Pop, Hard Rock sounds.Here's a list of the tracks: 01. Welcome to the Jungle 02. Sweet Child O' Mine 03. Patience 04. Paradise City 05. Knockin' on Heaven's Door 06. Civil War 07. You Could Be Mine 08. Don't Cry - (original version) 09. November Rain 10. Live and Let Die 11. Yesterdays 12. Ain't It Fun 13. Since I Don't Have You 14. Sympathy For the Devil As you can see, they have the classic, Guns N Roses music on this album. // 10

Lyrics: Axel Roses' voice is rather Nice to me. Some pleople don't like it, but that's there reveiw, not mine.And The Lyrics make sense, so it's not just random words sung together to make a song.Axel and Slash's music go together really nicely. and same thing goes with the rythem guitars and drummer. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this is: wow. This is Fantastic. I have had this album for a while now, and I still listen to it almost every day. that's how good it is. The only think I don't like is the album design, but apart from that, I love it. If I lost this, I would order a new one right away. No Question about it. If I couldn't get another one I would download it off the internet. I Love This Album. // 9

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: N3WW4V3N1NJ4, on september 01, 2014

Sound: This is a greatest hits CD with full focus on the iconic 1986-1995 era of Guns N' Roses. It is the only CD of this type (hits compilation) that GNR have ever had. It was released by Geffen Records, has 14 tracks and has really good sound quality on most of the featured songs. That having been said, even though it's great, there are, like with many greatest hits albums, a few easily noticeable problems. The lack of "One in a Million," "Mr. Brownstone," and the excellent acoustic cover of Aerosmith's classic track, "Mama Kin" is a bit odd. Also, "Sympathy for the Devil" sounds really bad, I mean it sounds like it was taken from a bootleg live performance or something. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are extremely good, they hold up well with as many long years as it has been since these songs first came out. Slash, Axl and Duff all still sound pretty impressive, as do the almost constantly varying other members of the band. Also, I already mentioned this, but the sound quality on most of these songs is amazing, for not being remastered, the only thing is, "Sympathy for the Devil" sounds muddy. I think it might just be my stereo though, as I copied the CD to my iTunes library and when listening on my MP3 player, it sounds perfectly fine. I wish they would have replaced "Sympathy" with "Mr. Brownstone," or really anything else, as a closer it's a weak choice, though I do like it. // 9

Overall Impression: For this being the only Guns N' Roses greatest hits CD ever to be released in the entire twenty-eight years since their original formation, it's a lot better than you'd think it would be and at no point do you get the feeling you wasted your money. It's got a lot of good songs, none that are bad and the sound quality for most songs is really impressive. Also, the disc itself looks really cool. If I could change one thing about this album, I would put "Mr. Brownstone" and "One in a Million" on here. I would also add some liner notes, as there is nothing really on the case except the song credits and a discography. Let's face it, we all know there should be like a band history in the case. If you're a casual GNR fan, you will love this! // 10

More Guns N Roses reviews rating latest review