Live Era '87-'93 Review

9.4
 9.6
 9.2
Live Era '87-'93 Reviewed by: aMeRiCaNsTrAt21, on january 05, 2006

Sound: The sound of this album is the best sound on live album I have ever heard! And I heard so many live albums! The feel of the band playing live is somthing you cant put in words! The crowd is a huge part of the CD, very good mix of sounds between the band and the crowd. This is a live album not just from one show, it's bunch of shows from the years 87 to 93. The style they play is rock n roll with little elements of metal. Great guitar work from Slash and Izzy. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are the same as you hear on the records. I still think that Axl is one of the greatest singers in history, and you'll be able to see it on this CD. I believe he does play some piano on couple of songs. // 9

Overall Impression: It's a amazing record! If you really are a rock fan you should buy this one. Amazing guitar solos, powerfull vocal range by Axl Rose everything is perfect! It was mt first Guns N' Roses record and was the debut to became a heavy Guns fan! Nice artwork with cool photos of the band during the Era 87'-'93. // 10

Live Era '87-'93 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 12, 2004

Sound: This album was recorded across the universe between 1987 and 1993 when Guns n' Roses were the greatest rock band in the world. The sound is awesome. It's 2 discs with a cool picture booklet. The music is harsh, aggressive and includes songs from their first four albums. // 10

Lyrics: Great lyrics. Lot of explicit language. A censored version is available but don't get it. Buy the real one. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my favourite Guns n' Roses album. I pump it real loud on my cd player and let it run through. Right from the opener-Nightrain to the closing-Paradise City this album defines Guns n' Roses as the greatest rock band in the world. Hope Chinese Democracy will be awesome as well. // 10

Live Era '87-'93 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 16, 2004

Sound: The best sound I have heard in a Live CD. I know that was probably mixed in studio, but it sounds really hot! This is not a full live concert but a mix of the best concerts of Guns N' Roses. Their best perfomances live! // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are the same the are on the studio albuns, so nothing to talk about! They still rock! // 10

Live Era '87-'93 Reviewed by: faqu, on january 13, 2005

Lyrics: The lyrics are the same as you hear on the records. I still think that Axl is one of the greatest singers in history, and you'll be able to see it on this CD. I believe he does play some piano on couple of songs. // 10

Overall Impression: This was my very first GnR album, and I liked it so much I couldn't stop listening to this record for like a month. I have all GnR records, but this is probebly my favorite one. I can't chose my favorite songs, becouse there aren't any favorite songs, I like them all. But I don't really like how they did "Patience," becouse the crowd sand along and you could barely hear the band play the song. If it were stolen I would get another one. I highly reccomand this album! // 10

Live Era '87-'93 Reviewed by: WilliamVN'R, on june 08, 2005

Sound: The way that this album was put together is great! Because it's from various live performances, you get to hear Axl's voice from different times, so it cant be judged on one performance! The fact that its two discs makes it a worthy purchase, and the songs included are excellent choices, as some of the lesser known songs such as 'Used To Love Her' and 'Dust N' Bones' are all on there. This album was released in 1999, which was 5 years after Slash left, and his solos, which is mostly extended, still sound as awesome and mesmorizing as ever! // 10

Lyrics: Axl's voice is completely unique! His vocal range is incredible! His voice can be high pitched and grungy (Welcome To The Jungle), it can be soft (Sweet Child O' Mine & It's Alright), and it can be powerful as hell (You Could Be Mine & It's So Easy)! He always was an enchanting frontman and this album gives you a real sense of his voice! // 10

Overall Impression: GN'R don't really compare to anyone, but bands like 'The GaGas' and 'The Glitterati' have the same type of thing goin on! Velvet Revolver will always be compared to GN'R aswell, even though they are a completely different band! Songs that stand out are: 'Used To love her', 'It's So Easy', 'Patience', 'Don't Cry', 'Paradise City', 'You Could Be Mine'. I could go on and on! The artwork/pics from the cover are great aswell, and the discs look great! If you're into GN'R, or just rock music in general then this album is a must have! If I could I would rate this album about 50 for everything! // 10

Live Era '87-'93 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 20, 2006

Sound: In Live Era Guns N' Roses plays some of their greatest songs live, obviously - and boy do they play them excellently. Like all the GN'R records, this song is fast straight out rock n' roll. There's a few piano-driven songs, like "It's Alright," "November Rain" and there's some slow songs, like "Estranged." No matter the speed of the song, the album sounds great. The live tracks were mastered excellently from the original versions, and it sounds like you're up close to the band at an actual Guns N' Roses show back in the time where they were in their prime. // 9

Lyrics: If anyone has ever listened to Guns N' Roses, they know that some songs are about the lyrics, while some songs are not. This is the same on the live album. Most of the lyrics fit with the songs, however. For example, "November Rain" shines lyrically, it's about love and the things that it brings upon people. The pace of the song fits this, it is a slow piano ballad. Songs such as "Mr. Brownstone" which are about drugs, go fast and quick, which is needed because of the lyrics. Vocalist Axl Rose's singing on this album is almost spot on, but it is better in some of the songs while worse in others. // 9

Overall Impression: This compares to Guns N' Roses other work. However, Guns N' Roses are very different from other bands of their time. Some of the better songs on this album include "It's Alright" which is a Black Sabbath cover; also, the electric version of "Used To Love Her" is great. There's also a good moment in "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" where Axl shouts "Gimme some reggae!" which improves the song. I love Guns N' Roses style on this album. I wouldn't say I hate anything, but I would say that I dislike the way Axl sings the beginning of "Sweet Child O' Mine." // 9

Live Era '87-'93 Reviewed by: FallingHard, on january 15, 2007

Sound: I was wowed by this 2 CD set. This has everyone of GN'R's best hits of all time. What I find awesome about these songs are the fact that the are all live. It gives the songs a different feel than when they are just recorded in the studio. The way the are recorded, and if you turn up your stereo up all the way, it sounds like you are there in concert with them! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing of course, but the added live commentary that they use in between the songs at the concerts is awesome. The vocals are sick as always and they go excellently with the music. Axl is one of the best singers in history! The way he sings the lyrics, makes me want to go out and, well listen to all of their CD's for hours on end and then go and look up the tabs for them, and play them with the songs. // 9

Overall Impression: This is one of my favorite CDs! This is one the best CD ever! It is the best GN'R's CD and it crushes all the other artists and their CDs. If it were stolen: I would find the person that stole it; I would bet the crap out of them; if 1 & 2 don't work, I would go to the store and buy 2 of them, that way if one of them got stolen again, I could take the other one out of my underground bunker and listen to it. // 8

Live Era '87-'93 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 25, 2007

Sound: Ah, Guns N' Roses. A band first notorious for being drunken party animals, then for their amazing production on Use Your Illusion I and II, and finally for the overall nuttiness of Axl Rose. Missing gigs, leaving shows a few songs in, stopping songs to lecture hostile crowds and becoming a paranoia-soaked tyrant. But what this album is about is production. Axl created this album in the late '90s, after all other classic members had left. All of the songs were recorded from 1987 to 1993. Given the size of their Use Your Illusion tour (over 120 gigs) alone, there was a lot of material to work through. Rather than use a single concert as the basis for the album, Axl went with a different approach. He took the best versions of the songs that he chose for the set and pieced them into a single show. The album matches several of their "rules" regarding the setlist: "Nightrain" is played first (as it often was) immediately followed by "Mr. Brownstone" and finishing with "Paradise City" This is a cool effect, but studio intervention seems to have been used a fair bit on the album. For instance, since all of the songs are from different concerts, they have different levels of crowd noise, leading the transition from one track to the next rough. This seems to be fixed by overlaid crowd noise on the ends of songs, so no matter what song you go to from another (while playing the album on shuffle, for example) it is always a smooth transition. The quality of the instruments is top notch and mixed very well. Everything is loud and clear. The vocals, however, are a different story. Axl Rose's job was very demanding on stage. 3 hours singing songs requiring both powerful vocals and raspy screams. Hard on the voice, and it shows on some bootlegs. However, there are few quivers on the album. What is noticeable is all of the songs from Appetite for Destruction (Nightrain, Mr. Brownstone, it's So Easy, Welcome to the Jungle, My Michelle, Out Ta Get Me, Rocket Queen, Sweet Child O' Mine and Paradise City) and November Rain have a much different vocal style from other songs. Instead of the crunchy, raspy shrieks we are accustomed to, we have a warmer, less crunchy and smoother voice. Though it works for some songs, for real hard songs (Nightrain and Welcome to the Jungle) I stick with my bootlegs. Rumors that Axl rerecorded Appetite for Destruction for a test lead me to believe that he overdubbed his voice on those tracks. In fact, unlike the other tracks, Welcome to the Jungle doesn't even have a known concert date from which the performance was culled! Also, the song Patience is from two dates. Aside from the possible overdubbing, the audio really is fantastic quality. I just wish they lowered the crowd noise just a tad. On Patience you can barely hear Axl sing at first. // 9

Lyrics: Even with what I said above, Axl truly is amazing. His voice suits the music extremely well. Only a few quibbles that I can think of: His voice is pretty weak on Welcome to the Jungle, in my opinion. Also, a line in the first verse of Sweet Child O' Mine goes astray and drops in volume. I don't know why they didn't fix that. And on November Rain, the line "We've been through this such a long long time" seems rushed near the end, resulting in a jarring sound. And on Nightrain, during the climax of the song, Axl's voice is really weak. That's it. Across the whole album there are four issues with vocals. Moving on. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a pretty awesome album. The most impressive songs are Dust N' Bones and Estranged. Both of them really rock hard. Not saying the rest of the album is bad, but on those tunes they really pull together. I don't really think there is a bad song on the album, a rarity in any case. Good job Axl. Love the mix. The band sounds awesome, as does Axl (for the most part). The song selection. The only song I wish was here is Civil War, replaciing one of the lesser known Appetite songs. The concert feel. Though not replacing front row center at the Ritz in 1988, it still does a decent job at what it would be like to be present at these shows, minus the awesome stage show. Don't like so much song selection. Not the songs themselves, but the tracks. I would have taken Nightrain, Patience and November Rain from Tokyo 1992. Overdubbing with Axl's fairly weak voice. The time that the overdubs were likely recorded is when Axl's voice started down the line to fail. It shows at some points. that's it. I must emphasize that even though some aspects fall short, the majority of the album is pure greatness. If it were stolen or lost I would buy it again. Definitely. // 9

Live Era '87-'93 Reviewed by: pag_slash_2, on january 07, 2008

Sound: Live Era '87-'93 is a collection of live performance from different old Guns N' Roses concerts (not the new Guns N' Roses). While that means that the songs don't flow (if you know what I mean) because the songs jump from concert to concert, it means that each song shows GN'R on great form. As you may know, all the songs in this album are Hard Rock, with a bit of an 80's metal kind of sound. However, in some songs, they play softer rock (November Rain and Patience to name a few). Slash and Izzy play hard rock riffs and screaming solos and Axl Rose is on fine form of the majority of the songs, and also interacting with the crowd (and not fighting them suprisingly). However, sometimes you get the feeling (just look at the comments below) that some bits may have been dubbed on. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in the live songs are the same as the studio versions of these songs, so I think the lyrics are very good, whether in more restrained, thoughtful songs like Estranged, or in songs about girls (My Michelle), drink (Nightrain), drugs (Mr. Brownsyone) or maybe a mix of all the last three subjects (Welcome To The Jungle). Nevertheless, I think the lyrics are much better than any of the songs coming out today (except from a few bands), and also better than any of the bands around at the time. Like I said before, most of the time, Axl Rose is on good form. // 10

Overall Impression: I like this album because you have to hear Guns N' Roses live to really appreciate them, because they thrive up on stage, not in the studio. Plus, this album collects of nearly all of Guns N' Roses greatest hits, much better than Guns N' Roses Greatest Hits. (I mean, come on, how is a cover of Sympathy for the devil one of their greatest hits). If this album was lost oh no wait, I downloaded it. Well, if it was stolen but I downloaded it. Well, I'll have to be creative, if I got a virus which deleted this album, I'd get McAffee Virus Protection to kick it's ass, then I'd redowload the album. // 9

More Guns N Roses reviews rating latest review