Use Your Illusion I Review

artist: guns n roses date: 06/11/2007 category: compact discs
guns n roses: Use Your Illusion I
Released: Sep 1991
Genre: Rock
Tones: Sleazy, Messy, Visceral, Quirky, Harsh, Aggressive, Reckless, Poignant, Elaborate, Brooding, Sprawling
Styles: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal
 Lyrics: 9.6
 9.4
 9.6
 9.2
Use Your Illusion I Reviewed by: ungadain, on january 15, 2004

Sound: When you listen to Appetite for Destruction, you want to get up and air guitar every minute of Slash's glory, or better yet, become Slash himself and run around in his leather pants. But Use Your Illusion I, in my opinion, is more diverse musically. It sounds like the boys all sat down and carefully composed all of these songs, and they did a damn fine job of it too. The inclusion of keyboards really impressed me, as after hearing the tunes in Appetite, you never would expect hearing something like November Rain. Slash continues his Godly guitar ways, and Izzy and Axl write superb lyrics in what I consider the best power ballad ever written, Don't Cry. // 10

Lyrics: I can see why all the girls loved Axl so much, because he really knows how to write a good ballad. It's a shame that Izzy Stradlin doesn't or didn't get more credit as a song writer, because when you listen to the songs for their lyrical quality, you really get what you paid for. I espescially enjoyed Axl stepping back to backup on "You Ain't the First" and Izzy singing lead, because with Axl's voice it's kind of hard to hear the backups, so it's good to hear Izzy. You know a band has to have good lyricists when they do a second version of a song, only replacing the lyrics while keeping the exact same music (Don't Cry). // 10

Overall Impression: It is really a shame that Axl and Izzy didn't see eye to eye, because after hearing Appetite and the Use Your Illusions, you can see that this band was on to something. They have the perfect mix of hard rock (Bad Obsession, Right Next Door to Hell), blues (Don't Cry, You Ain't the First), and epics (November Rain, Coma) on this record. Although there may not be songs of the same "single potential" as in Appetite, but Led Zeppelin didn't do singles. The album as a whole is truly great. Please note the fall apart of Guns N' Roses after his departure during the Use Your Illusion tour. One would think he held the band together, and that person wouldn't be wrong. // 10

Use Your Illusion I Reviewed by: dgme92, on march 10, 2007

Sound: Well, this album sounds a lot more meaty than Appetite for Destruction. Maybe it's because Guns N' Roses, now the globe-trotting megastars of the early 90's, could afford more studio equipment. OK, that was a joke. Truth is, Axl Rose & Co. explored vast, never before seen territory. They were exploring a far more decadent sound. This album, being the first in the "Illusion" duo, was the first Guns record to feature classical instruments, such as piano. November Rain is an excellent example of this. All this points to an ever evolving/maturing group of musicians, eager to find what "clicked". // 9

Lyrics: Axl Rose has improved upon himself once again. His lyrics are now much deeper than previous efforts, showing how he has evolved as a person. Lyrics in the ballads like Don't Cry and November Rain show what he is all about on this CD. But then you have the odd rant/rave like he has on Don't Damn Me and Garden of Eden, both are good songs, but also show that Axl hasn't lost his crzy side. Dead Horse is an excellent way to show they still stick to their hard rock roots. Axl still posesses the demonic scream of old, so nothing lost on the vocal quality end either. In fact, his singing skills are better than those on previous albums, with a far bigger emphasis on his deeper singing, showing off his huge vocal range, especially in the 10 minute epic that is Coma, showcasing all his different styles in one go. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I would hardly call this a masterpiece in the same vein as Appetite for Destruction, it hardly breaks new ground, but seeing as it breaks new ground for Guns N, I guess I could call it innovitave. The most impressive song without doubt, has to be November Rain, it shows such depth to be bands songwriting skills. I don't really hate anything on this album, apart from You Ain't The First, GN'R should have packaged that on GN'R Lies, it would have been far better received. Finally, if mine was stolen/lost, I would definitely consider buying it again, but mostly because I think Guns N' Roses are kickass. // 9

Use Your Illusion I Reviewed by: chordgenius, on march 14, 2006

Sound: This for me is the best GN'R album ever. The sound of Slash pushing out those solos is just amazing and the way the songs are written by the whole band increases the fact that they are such a great musical inspiration. Personally any GN'R fan without this album has not heard the half of GN'R's real power and emotion. From the soft ballad of November Rain to the hard aggressive Garden Of Eden all of the songs on it are great. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics well you can't get much better than some good lovey dovey lyrics from Axl and then the hardcore screramy lyrics from Slash and Izzy. This album is a great one for Izzy. He has written four of the sixteen tracks and I have to admit they are some of the greatest GN'R songs ever. Ever since the split there has been the wait for the much antisipated album Chinese Democracy but it is finally coming out in April. // 10

Overall Impression: This album will blow you away. The solos from Slash are just imence and any aspiring guitar player should wnat to be like him. People say that the Use Your Illusion box set is crapbut f--k them this is a great album and every rock fan should mst definatley buy it, it rocks. My favourite track is most definately Don't Damn Me it is fast GN'R classic. I was really disapointed when it was not on the Greatest Hits (which is also great). As you can probably tell I am an avid GN'R fan and can't wait until their new British Tour (please come to plymouth). // 10

Use Your Illusion I Reviewed by: crazypunkman, on april 14, 2006

Sound: When I bought this album, the other GN'R albums I had were only Appetite For Destruction and Use Your Illusion II so I expected more of the same with some straight out raw hard rock with a softer song every now and then. But from the start this album defines itself from the others with its fast punk styled edge and more dark songs than the other albums. It also demstrates a lot more musical creativity than some of their other albums with songs ranging from the fast-paced Garden of Eden to the epics of November Rain and Coma along with the straight-out hard rock of Back of Bitch and Don't Damn Me. This is all powered by the guitars of Slash and Izzy are in blistering form, with creative bass lines from Duff and hard drumming from Matt Sorum. It blew me away. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of this album are interesting. Although the topics range from things as obscure as neighbours (Right Next Door To Hell) to drug addiction (Mr. Brownstone) they seem to all be fitting for Guns N' Roses. The vocals are generally good, with Axl displaying his extensive vocal range and Izzy singing on some of the bluesier songs (Dust N' Bones, Double Talkin' Jive) suprisingly well. Overall I like the lyrics and vocals a lot. // 9

Overall Impression: In compared to my other GN'R albums this ranks as second only to Appetite For Destruction. It shows them at some of their creative best. My favourite songs on this album are Dust N' Bones (Izzy is the most underated everything on earth), Dead Horse, Garden Of Eden and Perfect Crime, but its all good. I have no major problems with this album but I do note that you will find faults if you try to. Nonetheless, if this album was stolen/lost I would postpone the rest of my life until I bought a new copy. // 10

Use Your Illusion I Reviewed by: Silas Thompson, on june 11, 2007

Sound: When you here Appetite for Destruction you just wanted get up and move around. For Use Your Illusion 1 it sounds like they composed their peaces more carefully and tried to make them more melodic instead of head-banging guitar riffs. Some songs like Back Off Bitch, Bad Obsession, Bad Apples, Don't Cry, and November Rain were composed during the time of Appetite. The sound as I said earlier is more melodic like in November rain and Don't Cry, though some songs like Back Off Bitch and Perfect Crime had a more powerful and moving rhythm to it. // 10

Lyrics: Axl's lyrics in songs like Don't Cry and November rain just moved me. He can make his voice sound high, low, and smooth. The lyrics match the guitar perfectly like in Perfect Crime when Axl stops the guitar stops just a second after he does. In November Rain the Piano and Synthesizer set the tone for a slow song in which Axl's lyrics are the main focus of the song. // 9

Overall Impression: It is totally better than albums by Mettalica, Warrant, and Green Day. The vocals are incredible, the solos are moving, the drums have a way in this album of matching with the tone of the song and setting it. Axl's voice is also different than anyones'. I have heard probably fifty people in my school try to imitate him and not on person is close. Modern Rock and Heavy Metal bands try to sound like him but can't get there voice like his. The closest I've heard is Steven Tyler's (Aerosmith's singer's) voice. The only bad part is all the swearing. I do not recommend it for anyone under 14 years old. Song like Double Talkin' Jive and Perfect Crime are not appropriate for young kids. // 9

More Guns N Roses reviews rating latest review