Use Your Illusion II Review

artist: guns n roses date: 08/04/2011 category: compact discs
guns n roses: Use Your Illusion II
Released: Sep 1991
Genre: Rock
Tones: Angry, Eerie, Quirky, Aggressive, Reckless, Poignant, Menacing, Harsh, Messy, Indulgent, Hedonistic
Styles: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal
 Lyrics: 9.1
Use Your Illusion II Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 30, 2004

Sound: As usual gnr use their heavy metal skills to come up with this great album, Use Your Illusion 2, and once again show their abillity to play fast rockin' songs like You Could Be Mine, Breakdown and skills to play soft rock songs or power ballads such as So Fine and Don't Cry. // 10

Lyrics: As usual Axl rose "hits the nail on the head" with his singing skills and Slash, Duff, and Izzy have all contributed to the songs themselves and wrote some of there own. Pretty Tied Up - wrote by Izzy, So Fine wrote by Duff. Songs like Civil War actually describes the civil war (amazingly) and the Knockin' On Heavens Door cover was brillant it could not match to the original by Bob Dylan. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is a must have, even if you hate GnR (which cant be physically pos.) it would change your views as they sing a variety of songs. I can't say I hate any of it but my favourite songs would be Breakdown, So Fine and You Could Be Mine. Obiously I would go out and buy another if mine was stolen or lost - I already have three copies myself! // 10

Use Your Illusion II Reviewed by: EvilKal, on december 28, 2005

Sound: If you're one of those people who love the hard sound of a heavy riff but the smoothness of a good solo, then this is your kind of album. Personally, Use Your Illusion II was the best I'd heard from GN'R. Its got that classic sound of a Gibson that Slash brought from the early days, but molding in with solos to be matched by no other. Definately a good buy if you're looking for quality sounds. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics to these songs are quite interesting. It could be a sad song or a hard rock song, they didnt care. And thats what makes an album great diversity and variety. Although Axl isn't the greatest singer ever, the way the album is thrown together just blows my mind. // 9

Overall Impression: When it comes to music, I'm a solo type guy. I love the riffs and stuff but the solos definately catch me. And I believe that's what UYI2 was all about. I would most definately buy this album if I lost it and I recommend you going out and buying UYI I & II as they are both fantastic! // 10

Use Your Illusion II Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 10, 2004

Sound: When GNR unleashed the Use Your Illusions on the world, the world was surprised. Appetite was such a raw and emotional album that expressed it through slick guitar riffs and a screechy Axl, and these two albums, especially Illusion II focus on the musicianship of the band. A matured GNR focuses on better written lyrics than Slash's amazing guitar ability. No taking anything away from him but merely comparing to previous albums. Songs like So Fine, Don't Cry, Yesterdays and Estranged seem softer, but You Could Be Mine, and Civil War keep fans satisfied as far as heavy songs go. // 10

Lyrics: Many songs from bith Use Your Illusions were written before GNR even formed in '86. These songs would turn out to be Axl's finest lyrics. Estranged is a ballad that sucks you into a world aside from reality. Breakdown is a masterpiece composed and chopped up into several seperate pieces thrown into seven brief minutes. Axl brings the audience into his head with these songs and allows us to see how his world differs from ours, yet how so seemingly similar it is. // 10

Overall Impression: GNR can never put out a greatest hits. They have basically already done that four times. Each time a new album comes out GNR proves why they are the best rock band. If you don't have it BUY IT. I promise that you will be hooked on GNR for good. If you lose it, BUY IT AGAIN. Must have for anyone who enjoys music on mulitiple levels, lyrically, musically, etc... // 10

Use Your Illusion II Reviewed by: grnday, on march 09, 2006

Sound: I think that Guns N' Roses is one of the best bands in the history of rock music. Every single one of their songs has a different vibe, also Axl Rose has a very great singing voice which combines so well with the music on this CD. I think that this CD is better than Use Your Illusion I. Another thing that I loved is how great the solos are on this CD. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this CD mix very well with the music. On each track, each song has a different vibe and almost all of the songs have a deep meaning to them. I also think that Axl Rose is one of the greatest singers alive and has a great talent for singing. // 9

Overall Impression: This CD could easily measure up to many other rock albums, I'd have to say that this is probably my favorite Guns N' Roses CD. My favorite song from this CD is 'Civil War' I love everything about that song. One other thing that I would have to say I love about this CD is the cover of it, it is a really sweet cover. // 8

Use Your Illusion II Reviewed by: AdamDK, on february 19, 2007

Sound: Anybody who loves hard rock will love the sound of this CD. The riffs are exstatic, and the vocals are awesome. Slash's tone remains a thriller, and the rhythm chops of Izzy continue. Axl's voice is fantastic, and Matt's drumming is great. This album mixes their hard rocking background with some softer, more melodic songs, like Don't Cry. In terms of the sound quality itself, it is good. There is no flaws within the sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are unbelieve. For me, they're better than some of the lyrics on Appetite for Destruction. Axl's song writing is definately proven to be quality on this album. A few songs were written years before the Gunners formed (Like Don't Cry), and they go fine with the music. Duff and Izzy take up vocals on some tracks, but they handle them fine. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is definately one of the Gunners' best. The lyrics and sound together are a masterpiece. Any fan of Guns N' Roses will love this. And for those who aren't familiar with Guns N' Roses, they'll get hooked with this. I love Axl's voice in this album, it is definately near enough his best. If you're looking for a quality album, Use Your Illusion II has it all. // 10

Use Your Illusion II Reviewed by: Silas Thompson, on june 11, 2007

Sound: More bluesy and slow than Use your Illusion 1 but still has hard rocking tracks like Civil War and You Could be Mine. It also has a cover of Knockin' on Heavens door which is very well played with an arpeggio introduction. The sound is very good and they worked together well in songs like Enstranged and Civil War. The song Get In The Ring starts with a nice blues solo over cheering fans and then goes into a hard guitar riff. The song My World though has no real value to it. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics in songs like Civil War, Enstranged, You Could Be Mine, and Get in the Ring just move me. They make me wanna go to my room and write a song just like them. They lyrics fit well with the music like in Civil War the arpeggio fits the tone of Axl's singing. Axl's skill ranges from lower notes, to a small voice, to screaming his head off. He is one of the best singers alive. // 9

Overall Impression: It is better than Greenday albums, but not better than Use Your Illusion 1. The best songs are Civil War, Enstranged, You Could Be Mine, Knockin' On Heavens Door, and Get In The Ring. Shotgun Blues is an okay song. The only thing I don't like is how bluesy some of the songs are. The Guns N' Roses I've got to know is the hard rock band with a singer who screams like crazy, not a blues rock band who adds in a few swears to still they are hard rock. // 7

Use Your Illusion II Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 04, 2011

Sound: The sound and production is identical to Use Your Illusion I and also The Spaghetti Incident, but is worlds apart from the unstoppable Appetite For Destruction. Axl's angst-y screech is still piercing and histrionic, but the optimistic post-teen manic howl from Paradise City and Nightrain is now more of a bitter, confused croon of a man reaching 30. Izzy's funky scratchy guitar has all but disappeared, with songs like Locomotive ONLY featuring Slash. Duff's bouncing bass is now a Chorus-effect drenched metallic clank, and worst of all, the once punk-n'-funk drumming of Steven Adler has been swapped for Matt Sorum's lumbering, almost orchestral sounding thunder-percussion. Don't get me wrong though. It's still a pretty fantastic album. Guns N' Roses now sound like the massive band they had become. The sound has altered massively, but so had the situation. It's bloated, angry, heavy, light, funky, punky, bluesy and sometimes straight up weird... GN'R all over! However, we do see how much Adler and Stradlin influenced the bands sound. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics have changed completely, and this goes for UYI 1 and 2. Appetite focused on telling stories, giving an insight into the entire band's lives and LA. Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 is filled with self indulgent rants and insights into Axl's psyche. However, there are some gems. Civil War shows a more intelligent side to GN'R, Yesterdays is surprisingly optimistic, and of course, Izzy's delightfully wry, simple yet genius tracks (Pretty Tied Up/14 Years). Izzy's lyrics and vocals (particularly on 14 Years) play a much bigger part on these two albums, particularly UYI 2, than his actual guitar playing, which I think is sad, as his playing was once a massive factor in GN'R's sound. You Could Be Mine is a song with lyrics more reminiscent of something you'd find on Appetite. Then you have the hilarious rants of Get In The Ring, the mindless shouting in Shotgun Blues, the self obsessed balladry of Estranged, Don't Cry and Breakdown and then the lengthy tirades of Locomotive (Complicity). A mixed bag indeed! // 8

Overall Impression: Civil War - The only song that features Adler on drums. A big hit for the band. A really great arrangement, and a great song. Impressive guitar work from Slash and inspired lyrics from Axl. One of GN'R's only 'issue' songs! 14 Years - Izzy Stradlin's bitter bluesy romp, clearly aimed at Rose. I love his raspy, hissing voice, which is backed up by Axl's signature screech in the chorus. A good song, with simple chord progressions and lyrics. A real Izzy style song. Yesterdays - A fairly standard song. Nice chords, nice lyrics. The only word to describe it is nice... The piano throughout is cool though. Knockin' On Heaven's Door - Dylan on steroids. Without a doubt, the Guns version is the definitive version of KOHD. Songs like this on the albums do benefit from Sorum's heavy handed thunderous drumming, as it makes it epic sounding. Axl's sing-a-long section turns a 3 chord song into a rock Hymn. Impressive and memorable! Get In The Ring - Cool riffs, great guitar, and very Gunzy... but we all know this song for one reason.. The rant in the bridge. Axl can't be bothered being cryptic. He just lets loose and vents his rage. Complete with boxing bell and a drunken, drooling thankyou at the end, courtesy from Slash or Duff, can't really tell.. Shotgun Blues - A boring song trying it's best to be aggressive and ballsy, but just comes across as filler. Sorum's drumming just ain't punk. Breakdown - I really like this song! It's an underrated, over-looked GN'R song. It's got cool piano, a cowboy-esque intro with Slash on a banjo (tuned like a guitar because he can't play banjo). Obscure lyrics from Axl, but I do love the line "Funny how everything was roses when we held on to the guns". Pretty Tied Up - My favourite song on the album. Badass chord progressions, cool laid back lyrics that just scream 'Izzy', catchy chorus and a catchy-ass bassline from McKagan! A very cool song. Locomotive - Similar to 'Coma' from the previous UYI. It seems like just a good way for Slash to showcase his nifty guitar work and Axl to vent his inner demons. It is very cool though! The chorus made my ears prick up straight away. Duff's bass is also relentlessly groovey. However, the fact Izzy's guitar isn't featured puts me off a little bit. The trippy coda is also cool. Lots of weird percussion and ambience is a song that was once pummelling funk metal riffage! In some respects then, reminiscent of Rocket Queen! So Fine - Don't listen to this song much. I find Duff's voice irritating. He sounds drunk and the lyrics border on cheesy ('my friends always come through for me, hey'?). Some people really like it though, so what do I know? Estranged - My favourite in the GN'R Axl Ballad trilogy! It's not as overblown and camp as November Rain, and IMO better than Don't Cry. The first half of the song is filled with inventive Slash melodies and Axl's mournful love-lorn howl. But after a watery, atmospheric bridge, it morphs into a more upbeat, major toned song. You can just picture Axl swaying! After another watery, dolphin-noise-ridden bridge, Slash bursts out an awesome solo. An epic song, and another favourite on the album. Shame about the cheesy video! You Could Be Mine - Arrangement, guitar work, riffs, rhythm and lyrics all reminiscent of Appetite era GN'R. Would've benefited with Adler's drumming, and Appetite era production but still, great. Another single from the album! Don't Cry - Same as the version from the first UYI, but with darker lyrics. Obviously a great song. No need for a second version though gang. My World - Bizarre. Neither rap, nor Industrial. Just weird ass effects and bad synth riffs. A bad note to finish the albums on. // 8

More Guns N Roses reviews rating latest review