Of Frost And War Review

Hail Of Bullets: Of Frost And War
Release Date: May 13, 2008
Label: Metal Blade
Genres: Rock
Nothing like a drinking session among old friends and a discussion about such old-school death metallists as Autopsy, Bolt Thrower, Celtic Frost, and Death to help jump-start the formation of a new extreme metal band.
 5.6
 9.1
review (1) 11 comments vote for this album:
Of Frost And War Reviewed by: MHDrunk, on may 05, 2008

Sound: What is this? It's straight up old school death metal in the Swedish style and technically there isn't anything wrong with it... except that 'Swedish style old school death metal' means that it's going to bore my face off, and this album goes further than that to bore a few holes in my brain. All we have here is a slowed down Dismember: the same awful 'phat' production with the same nothing riffs, the bass playing exactly what the guitar plays and every now and then breaking into some Amon Amarth wannabe harmony. Clearly no effort went into the writing of this, just a bunch of Swedish revisionists who have apparently found some 'How to make mediocre death metal for dummies' textbook. Maybe boring Dismember rip-offs that go absolutely nowhere appeal to some people but I'm certainly never putting this on my play list again. // 3

Lyrics: The vocals are pathetic. It's hard to fathom that nobody in the band could do better than this guy, who puts out the same boring shouting vocals for half an hour, like a weaker and higher pitched version of Dismember. He needs his vocal chords removed definitely. The band would have been better of typing their lyrics into a computer voice generator. That would have been more death metal than this droning hack. Lyrically the band focuses on, as the title implies, winter and war. It seems they thought their music would sound like what they sing about and they'd end up sounding like Operation Winter Mist or something. I feel bad giving this 1 out of 10, considering I gave Glen Benton the same score and he is miles above this spastic. // 1

Overall Impression: I was excited about this before I heard it, with all the glowing reviews and general hype surrounding the band, but this album is an abomination and I can't believe I actually bought it. It's going straight in the bin, I'm not leaving it on my wall where every dickhead can see what kind of atrocities I'm tricked into spending money on. If you want better value for money, go and buy a case of cheap, nasty beer or maybe even a couple of casks of bottom-shelf wine to help you forget that tripe like this exists. // 2

Comments