Population: Declining Review

9.7
 9.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Population: Declining Reviewed by: vppark2, on august 02, 2012

Sound: The debut album from alternative metal band Hail The Villain definitely holds some acceptable material to rock your head to. Bryan Crouch's vocals are pretty impressive, but different. At times, I feel like he has a very powerful voice that is only meant for yelling. Drumming, guitar riffs, etc. Are all well done. // 9

Lyrics: In the song, "Runaway", lyrics are as is, "Welcome to the end Of everything that haunts me. Somehow I pretend All was meant to be. I am not the saint here. Never the good son. Hell has taken over and I know. When I say 'Go', runaway, runaway. Where do I belong? So sick of being shadows. Scared to walk alone. Now it's time to roam. I have always wanted All that I could own. My wish was never granted till now." Judging from what these lines say, it sounds to me like Bryan had gotten to a turning point in his life. Moving out of his home or whatever, losing everything that had haunted him. Probably wasn't looked at as a good child by his parents. Then he states how hell has taken over, so maybe his life after that still was a struggle, as hoe's running away from it all, not knowing where to go. A good metaphor is stated as well. He is practically a shadow, not getting noticed, and is alone. In "16 Cradles", "Did not have a chance, fell into line. I'll rot down here for the meantime. Without a voice I'll never change. I slide back down this slope again. The second I began to see. I had my eyes ripped out and fed to me. Without a choice I'll never change. I slide back down this slope again." Pretty much all of the lyrics on this album tell a story about Bryan's life, mostly of how he has gone through tough times, and is nothing. Very clever, and good song writing for this album. I am quite amazed by the effort. // 10

Overall Impression: I honestly have never heard of any alternative metal band going this heavy. I mean Bryan's strength in his voice goes so well with these lyrics. I would like to hear some singing more, but it is what it is I guess. Also knowing the fact that this is their debut album, and I found out that Bryan has quit the band (I don't know why). So all I can say now is good luck to the band finding a new vocalist, and hopefully they will get somewhere. // 9

Comments