Hal Review

hal: Hal
Release Date: May 10, 2005
Label: Rough Trade
Genres: British Trad Rock, Indie Pop
Hal's debut album is populist and arcane, modern and timeless.
 5.4
 9.7
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Hal Reviewed by: cabbaman98, on april 21, 2006

Sound: I first ehard Hal when they supported the Doves in Cambridge. As soon as I heard them I fell in love with them. They have some amazingly catchy songs and some great composings. This is a brilliant first album for them they are sure to go places. The song which caught my eye as soon as I heard it was I Sat Down which I think is still one of the top 3 songs on there. You can really hear the influences of The Beatles, The Beach Boys and The Thrills. If you like the typical Irish rock then these shall be no exception to your CD collection, they really have it all together. Like the Thrills they are from Dublin and, like I said, really do take something from them. This is one brillaint album full of catchy, structured songs with a real 'Irish rock' feel to them. You cna tell why they chose Play the Hits, I Sat Down and Worry About The Wind to eb the singles. The really are some of the ebst songs on there. Not sayin that the rest is bad though no way. // 10

Lyrics: I haven't really focused on the lyrics because I'm not to bothered about how good or bad they are really, because they're expressing they're feelings. However I some of it is a bit weird. A song about sitting and lying down? I know this is probably metaphorical or symbolism but it's just wierd. But otherwise I really do like they're lyrcis, theyre memorable. Especially the choruses they are sang and figured so well just get you singing. The singer has a very young voice and can really reach those nots. Wow it makes my Ears sore in My Eyes Are Sore (not in a bad way, it's just very high pitched). // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said (3rd time) thye are very like the Thrills, but not too similar. There are so many decent songs on here. The best being these: Worry About The Wind, I Sat Down, Don't Come Running, What A Lovely Dance. I would definetly buy this again it is so catchy and unique in its own way. It's amazing. // 10

Comments