Halestorm Review

8.4
 7.8
 8.9
Halestorm Reviewed by: elekguit, on july 01, 2009

Sound: Simply put, this album is amazing! Hard rock done right, with a fantastic woman fronting the band. It's that simple, Halestorm is a Hard Rock band. Nothing more, nothing less. The range in the sound is outstanding too, because we all know that Hard Rock cannot remain "hard" the whole album long. A beautiful mixture of sheer rock and wonderful rock ballads hold this album together amazingly well. By listening to this album, you can see the obvious retro influences. Despite that, Halestorm still manages to crank out original melodic lines with songs like I'm Not An Angel and "It's Not You". This is an album that has something for EVERYBODY. // 9

Lyrics: Although many catchy lines are heard, and their first single "I Get Off" has a very... memorable... chorus, the lyrics leave something to be desired. The mixture of both rock influenced and mainstream radio-friendly lyrics really confuses me. Might just be me here, but the lyrics get really bland when you really listen to some songs. This being Halestorm's first major release, you must have some faith that things will get better, but for now, I'm afraid they really don't cut it for me. Decent, but not what you'd expect. // 5

Overall Impression: I'm in love with this album. Albeit the lyrics were a bit sour, the music was outstanding. I have absolute faith in Halestorm. Lzzy has a ridiculously amazing range in her voice, and as far as I hear, the whole band plays really well together. The debut single "I Get Off" is certainly a fantastic song with horrible lyrics. The band should sway away from the sex references, because they just don't fit at all. "Dirty Work" and "I'm Not An Angel" seem to be the hidden gems for me. They really show the potential for successful singles. Although the lyrics were rated low, this album gets an 8. The band has so much raw talent and potential that you can't help but look past that flaw, no matter how big it might be. If someone stole the album, I'd buy it again because I'm sure Halestorm has the potential to be something HUGE in the future. // 8

Halestorm Reviewed by: Zakkcd, on july 02, 2009

Sound: Halestorm is very good "up and coming" hard rock band. I say this because while I absolutely love them, it is kind of apparent in a few places that they've only been together for a while. Obviously great potential, though, in part because of Lizzy Hal's amazing voice and range (she also plays rhythm guitar), and the rest because of how well the band works together for the majority of the time. Their drummer is talented a-plenty, and the backup vocals help too. Good lead guitar bits thrown into most songs, but every once in a while I think they could have blended into the song better. // 8

Lyrics: "I Get Off" is a very...strange... song simply because of the lyrics. Her voice is still great, playing's great, but the lyrics are strange; bout getting off to a peeping tom... wierd. The lyrics go well with the rest of the music, but that song is still strange. In all the rest of the songs, the lyrics are very well written. "Familiar Taste of Poison" is one of the best writtten songs, as is "Nothing to Do With Love" and "What were you Expecting". So, for the most part, well written lyrics that go well with the songs. // 8

Overall Impression: Considering Halestorm was touring with Shinedown when I first saw/heard of them, I would definately have to compare them to these guys. I love Lizzy's one-of-a-kind vocals, and the lead guitar and drum parts, but I'm not most fond of the son "I Get Off", largely because it's the only song they play by them in OKC, and because they're attracting the wrong people (ugh mainstream people). If it were stolen/lost, I would definately got out and but another copy as soon as I could find it. It's that good. Go out and get it; highly recommended. // 9

More Halestorm reviews rating latest review
+ ReAniMate 2.0: The CoVeRs [EP] 7.6 10/15/2013