Renegade Review

hammerfall: Renegade
Released: Oct 9, 2000
Genre: Heavy metal / Power metal
Label: Nuclear Blast
Renegade is HammerFall's third album, the first with drummer Anders Johansson.
 8.4
 8.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Renegade Reviewed by: ElStHf, on august 27, 2009

Sound: Still, Hammerfall΄s music is written by Jesper Stromblad. As it is well known anymore(we are bored to say it!) Hammerfall΄s music is based on power(fast) metal. Hammerfall almost never get out of power metal bounds. So,I think we should tell some general information for this album: Where the songs where written, if the CD was a success, etc. Lets start: After a long series of concerts, the band returned to Sweden in order to spend time with their families and begin writing songs for their next album. HammerFall made arrangements for this album to be recorded by Michael Wagener, who had previously produced bands such as Accept, Alice Cooper and Ozzy Osbourne. The recording took eight weeks, and the album was entitled Renegade. The switch from producer Fredrik Nordstrm to Wagener was met with skepticism from the media in general. However, after the release, critics were mostly positive, even though there was a consensus that the band's sound was remarkably different. A music video by director Roger Johansson was created for the song "Renegade" and reached the top of the Swedish parade; the same soon happened with the album itself, which reached gold status with over forty thousand copies sold. Oscar stated on www.metalrules.com just prior to the relase of 'Renegade' that they were going for a more "commercial" sound in order to attract a broader audience that otherwise would have been lost to them and that future albums wouldn't follow in this mold. The band's second world tour began in January 2001. Concerts from this tour counted with a replica version of the album's cover on stage. It was set up as a castle in ruins from which the musicians entered the stage. In total, the tour included almost sixty shows. The band then released a DVD entitled The Templar Renegade Crusades, which included video footage from recording sessions, live concerts, tour backstages, and encounters with fans. The footage ranged from the recording sessions of Legacy of Kings to the gold album party which took place in November 2001. // 8

Lyrics: Here there is another thing we are bored to say: Hammerfall΄s lyrics are usually talking about revolution, war, freedom, etc. And many times they break this kind of rule and they are changing issues. For example the song of this album ΄΄Always Will Be΄΄ is talking for love(the lyrics are written by Oscar Dronjak and not by Joacim Cans as usual). For one more time the compliance of the lyrics with the music is great. Also, I would like to mention that the difference between the slow(a bit) rythm that Cans sings the chorus of ΄΄Keep The Flame Burning΄΄ and the fast music of the chorus, has got and amazing result. Check this out soon. O.K. What else to say about the skillful singer of Hammerfall, Joacim Cans? What else to say? He is the right person for this band. His voice is really, really, really good. // 8

Overall Impression: The most impressive songs from the album? Oh, such a difficault quetion. Shall I say: I like all the songs? No I have done a list specially for you! Take a look: 01."Templars Of Steel": it is a nice song with very nice rythm; but except listening to it, you have to watch it in a live concerts. Well, watch. 03."Renegade": what can I say? Just hear it on your own and you will understand. Do you know that the first time I listen to it, I almost hate it? Now, I just love it. That happens to many people when they are listening to a Hammerfall song for first time. First they don't like it and after they love it. I cannot explain this! Check here. 05."Always Will Be": maybe their best balland. The thing I like most on this song is the solo at the very start of the song. I really like it. Watch 06."The Way Of The Warrior": do you want to know what power fast metal means?Listen to that song! Watch 10."A Legend Reborn": it is my favourite song of that album. Listen to it and might it will become and yours favourite! I would like to say just another thing: Are You Still Reading This Review? Go And Buy This Album As Soon As Possible! See you, metalheads and Hammerfall fans. See you! // 10

More Hammerfall reviews rating latest review
+ (r)Evolution 6.2 09/03/2014