Stars Of CCTV Review

hard-fi: Stars Of CCTV
Release Date: Mar 14, 2006
Label: Necessary/Atlantic
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock
Hard-Fi's desire to create something solid enjoyable in the midst of everyday monotony is what makes Stars of CCTV an enjoyable first effort.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 8.5
 9.6
 7.4
Stars Of CCTV Reviewed by: jack the hat, on march 20, 2006

Sound: The sound is a very Indie rock style, but with some nice soft songs in there to. Richard Archer has a soft touch of voice to aquire to them, but also with the rocky up beat songs he sounds great as well. The music its self is a mix of guitars, electro drum kits, and pianos. This is oviously in different songs but they appear in at least two songs or more. I'd rate the sound at least 9/10. The sounds are very catchy. // 9

Lyrics: Most the songs are about real life situations mostly, e.g. Middle Eastern Holiday, about the fighting going on in Iraq and Israel, Better Do Better, women cheating on you and trying to claw their way back in, Livng For The Weekend, Every day life for an adult working for money just to go out at the weekend, and Stars Of CCTV, the life of criminals on the street, being caught and tried with video evidence. And as all albums do there's a few love songs here and there. I don't think there's any bad language n it apart from a few 'F's and 'S's so no worrys for small children. // 8

Overall Impression: It's one of the best albums (I think) of the year so far. And a big influence on me and the Indie scene, well I recon. My favorites on the disc are, Gotta Reason, Living For The Weekend, and Feltham Is Singing Out. There's nothing you can not like on this album, and you know the albums that dont have one bad song on it, well this is one of them. It's wicked, recomended to everyone of all ages. And as for it being stolen or lost, stuff buying something else, I'd buy this again, again, and again. It's great. // 10

Stars Of CCTV Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 21, 2006

Sound: I first heard 'Living For The Weekend' on the radio, and I knew these guys could be something. It's such a great sound to the album as they have lived the rough life in Staines In London, so I'm guessing thats probably the influence behind the album. A great indie record. // 9

Lyrics: Richard Archer may not be the best singer, but certainly has that air about him that suggests he is something special. Personally, I think I can relate to the lyrics he's singing because I've never been in the rough but thats me so he's telling me what it's like. Lyrically, the best song is definitely 'Cash Machine'. Listen to the lyrics and you will see why. // 10

Overall Impression: I think Hard-Fi are a one of a king band because they can't be compared to any band I know of. The most impressive songs are 'Cash Machine', 'Living For The Weekend', 'Feltham Is Singing Out' and 'Hard To Beat'. Fantastic. // 10

Stars Of CCTV Reviewed by: Crash91, on june 26, 2006

Sound: 'Stars Of CCTV' was Hard-Fi's debut album, and it was a sensational debut to their career. Many people think that they are influenced by The Clash, because they actually sound like The Clash. When I heard 'Cash Machine', 'Hard To Beat' and 'Tied Up Too Tight', I was impressed of their music, so I decided to buy their album in Woolworths as it was at an offer for 7, and I was impressed with their album. Every song on this album are superb unlike the majority of other albums. This album starts of with 'Cash Machine' and it is a great track to start of the album. There are other great rock songs on this album that didn't get released, such as 'Middle Eastern Holiday', 'Gotta Reason' and 'Feltham Is Singing Out'. Not only Hard-Fi did rock music, but the beautiful 'Move On Now' was a ballad, and it only had piano and minimal drums in it. The last track, named 'Stars Of CCTV', was acoustic and contained a simple bass-line in it. Overall, rock or non-rock, all 11 songs were superb and this album is a must-buy. // 10

Lyrics: Not only I was impressed with Hard-Fi's music, but I was also impressed with Richard Archer's lyrics and his singing skills. His lyrics were amazing. The best lyrics feature in 'Hard To Beat'. The singing skills are great as well. // 10

Overall Impression: 'Stars Of CCTV' is one of my favourite albums and along with Kaiser Chiefs' 'Employment', they are the best albums of the 2000's. The most impressive songs are 'Cash Machine', 'Tied Up Too Tight', 'Gotta Reason', 'Hard To Beat', 'Better Do Better' and 'Stars Of CCTV'. That is a lot of songs, but the most impressive would have to go to 'Tied Up Too Tight'. What I love about this album was that it was an album that you could not possibly get bored off. If this album got stolen/lost, I would certainly buy it again. To end this review, 'Stars Of CCTV' is a must-buy album for any indie-rock fan. // 10

More Hard-fi reviews rating latest review
+ Killer Sounds 8.3 11/04/2011