Hardcore Superstar Review

9.3
 9.9
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Hardcore Superstar Reviewed by: Kenjiii, on january 07, 2008

Sound: After releasing their critically praised debut album "Bad Sneakers And A Pia Colada" in 2000 and gaining popularity in Scandinavia, Hardcore Superstar released two more albums: "Thank You (For Letting Us Be Ourselves)" in 2001 and "No Regrets" in 2003. The albums were different and have the same rock attitude than their debut album had. After having a brake the band recorded their fourth and most succesfull album to date "Hardcore Superstar", which was critically praised around Europe and spawned 4 hit singels "We don't celebrate Sundays, Wild Boys, My Good Reputation and Bag on your head". Hardcore Superstar returned to their pure hard rock sound and made it heavier, leading to one hell of an album. // 10

Lyrics: The songs are about sex, women, "wannabes", religion etc. The lyrics aren't that special and follow the traditional sleaze rock "tongue in the cheek" writing. But the lyrics fit well with the music and together creates 12 kick-ass songs. The vocals live up to the lyrics and Jocke Bergs voice adds more aggression and attitude to it.The songs are mostly power chord riffs. The album isn't something for people who search for melodical music, but for people who want more straight modern hard rock music. The last song of the album Standin on the verge is a slow song but a great endning to the album. // 9

Overall Impression: If you ask a Hardcore Superstar fan how they became familiar with the band, the answer will probably be "I heard the songs Wild Boys and We don't celebrate sundays and got hooked". "Hardcore Superstar" is the bands best album and it's hard to top it even though Hardcore Superstars latest album "Dreamin in a casket" almost succeeded.Many have said that "Hardcore Superstar" is todays "Appetite to destruction", and I agree, though the album hasn't sold as much as the Guns N'Roses album. Hardcore Superstar has a tendency to change their sound in every album (which you realise after listening to the earlier albums). Songs you got to hear from the "Hardcore Superstar album," to get a picture of their "at the moment sound" and albums sound are "We don't celebrate sundays, wild boys, my good reputation, Kick on the upperclass, and Bag on your head". After you've heard those songs you're hooked. The songs are so full of energy which the band also brings up to the stage that you just can't stop admiering their material. "Wild Boys" is an excellent wake up song for me and the rest of the album is great for listening if you're pissed off or just want some kick ass rock. There are a couple of songs you get tired of after a while, but that wouldn't stop me from buying this album again if it was stolen. I'd kinda be happy if it would get stolen cause then the music would gain more listeners. // 9

More Hardcore Superstar reviews rating latest review