Attack Of The Wolf King Review

Lyrics: 8.7
 9.3
 8.7
Attack Of The Wolf King Reviewed by: SHREDDER_DUDE:), on july 12, 2010

Sound: Haste the Day is back and more powerful than ever. A friend of mine actually told me about these guys back when Pressure The Hinges was released and I had a listen but didn't find anything special about them. Then I listened to their single Travesty and it blew me away. The album is loaded with harmonized melodies and machine gun riffs along with some really good vocals from Stephen Keech. One of my favorite releases of 2010 along with Fear Factory's "Mechanize". In order I will list the songs and my ratings for each one along with comments: 01. Wake Up the Sun 10/10 (A great opener for the album. It has a really cool intro and outro and good vocals from Keech) 02. Dog Like Vultures 10/10 (My favorite track of the whole album. Really smooth intro and then the second guitar comes in with a reverse gallop chug riff; AMAZING. Great use of a killswitch and just a great song) 03. The Quiet deadly Ticking 8/10 (Really good chorus and an awesome breakdown) 04. Travesty 10/10 (This is where their guitarists talent really shines. The intro lick is amazing and the harmonized melody in the verse is really cool. Keech has some great clean vocals that sound sort of like the vocalist/guitarist of The Devil Wears Prada. 05. Merit For Sadness 7/10 (Good track but not as good as the others on the albums. Once again cool chorus) 06. Un-Manifest 9/10 (This is another great song. Starts out with a bunch of scratchy harmonics played in the beginning) 07. A Place That Most Deny 8/10 (Awesome riff, also a really good clean breakdown) 08. White As Snow 9/10 (Definitely Stephen Keech's best vocal performance.) 09. Crush Resistance 7/10 (Nothing really special about this song except for maybe the guitar licks) 10. Walk With a Crooked Spine 8/10 (Really plain until it gets to the middle then there are some cool sweeps and other cool stuff) 11. My Name Is Darkness 9/10 (Nice wmotional song) 12. Meet Half Way (cover)11/10 (hahahahaha probably the funniest cover ever made) The last two tracks are just live versions of Pressure the Hinges and Blue 42. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are Christian influenced and I've noticed that there are lots songs containing the words "Jackal" and "Sun". Stephen Keech, in my opinion, is Haste the Day's best vocalist yet. The lyrics are about Great vocals, that's all I can say. About lots of modern world dilemmas. // 8

Overall Impression: If I were to pick an artist that is almost exactly like these guys new album is, it would be August burns Red. They are so similar the only difference is that ABR's Jake Luhrs is a better screamer and that ABR don't have clean vocals (Except for Indonesia). The shining tracks of this album are "Wake Up The Sun", "Dog Like Vultures", "Travesty" and "White as Snow". I would definitely buy this album again if it got lost. LOVE IT! // 10

Attack Of The Wolf King Reviewed by: metallicaflavor, on july 07, 2010

Sound: Haste the Day is back with their newest release 'Attack of the Wolf King'. This album has got to be the best I've heard from them so far becvause it has the agressive, raw metalcore sound of the first two albums combined with the more progressive and technical sound of their two latest albums, and adds it's own flavor into the mix. Stephen Keech has definitely refined his vocals from a more gutty sound from 'Dreamer' to a better, unique scream of his own for this release. Dave Krysl's guitar is very good and has many good riffs in the album. Giuseppe Capolupo's drumming is great and his double-basds drumming is perfect. Drum fills are good and his kit sounds good too. Refined and loud, unlike the empty sounding snare or the wierd kick from 'Dreamer'. // 10

Lyrics: Being a christian band, the lyrics are focused towards religious topics, but are good on their own. The lyrics usually stay good and on time except for a few times when they obviously had to squeeze in words. Like I said before, Stephen Keech's vocals are much better and refined from Dreamer. You can also understand his vocals a whole lot more than other vocalists. The clear singing is great and sounds like a flashback to 'When Everything Falls' where literally every song had a melodic chorus. The song "White As Snow" is completely sung out in clear and it is personally my favorite song on the album. "The Place That Most Deny" has a great chorus also. "Travesty" is also one of my favorites on the album and has great song structure. // 8

Overall Impression: Haste The Day has always had their own unique sound and made it even better on this release. You can't really compare the entire album to others, but you can compare songs. For instance, "The Place That Most Deny" has a Slipknot-like riff throughout the song. There are many more complex breakdowns like August Burns Red style. In conclusion, this album is a good buy for any metalcore fan. Definitely listen to the entire thing and don't skip songs, because they are all good. // 9

Attack Of The Wolf King Reviewed by: ClassicDisaster, on july 09, 2010

Sound: For their newest opus, Haste the Day take their patented melodic-to-ultra-heavy sound to the next level. With the addition of new lead guitarist Scotty, the technical ability of the guitar playing is definitely bumped up a few notches, and with new drummer Guiseppe behind the skins, the rhythm section has never been tighter. AOTWK contains some of the more delicious and brutal breakdowns of HTD's career ("The Un-Manifest"), to some of their most progressive and melodic work ("White as Snow"). // 10

Lyrics: On the special edition of AOTWK, at the end of the live version of "Blue 42," Stephen explains the reason why Haste the Day was and still is a band: to share the love of Jesus Christ with the world. That fact is evident throughout the imagery employed in the lyrics of this album, which are top notch and flow so well with the overall feel of the cd. I have always thought that Stephen has such a better range vocally than Jimmy had, as well as the ability for some amazing clean vocals, and for AOTWK Stephen has only gotten better. With the departure of Brennan, the duties of singing the harmonies have fallen onto the only original member of the band left, bassist Mike Murphy, and he does a spectacular job. // 10

Overall Impression: I believe this CD stands out as the best of Haste the Day's career, and is definitely at the top of the list of best heavy music cd's of the year for me. I love everything about it, from the apparent skill of each musician to the powerful message of the lyrics. It's hard for me to pick stand out tracks, because they all are so good, but for a sick, but for all you metal head/breakdown kids, check out "The Un-Manifest," for those of you that want an addicting chorus to be stuck in your head for days, check out "Dog like Vultures," and to catch Haste the Day at their most progressive, give "White as Snow" a listen. // 10

More Haste The Day reviews rating latest review