Pressure The Hinges Review

haste the day: Pressure The Hinges
Release Date: Mar 20, 2007
Label: Solid State
Genres: Alternative Metal, Christian Metal, Screamo
Fans shouldn't be turned off by Pressure's glossy sheen and new dynamics, though; they should just make room to welcome even more people into the Haste the Day faction.
 8.7
 8.5
 8.9
Pressure The Hinges Reviewed by: gnrliesmanlies, on january 07, 2008

Sound: It's time to explore your dakrer side. While this sound may not be the darkest in the land, the drumbeats are heavy and the guitars duel for the spotlight. While some songs like "Janet's Planet" and "Eremus" do sound lighter, the other cuts are heavy. The screaming is good, it's understandable (for the most part, just read the lyrics) and is not like those annoying bands who scream as low (or high) as humanly possible. // 9

Lyrics: Their a christian band(though you wouldn't be able to tell if you weren't told or closely examined the lyrics), so there are no swear words or sexual references. The lyrics are good for the most part. They really did a nice job of mixing in a singing/screaming combo. Tracks like Chorus of Angels(much heavier than the name would lead you to believe) and stitches plead for you to sing along. I thought the lead singer wielded a very strong ability to screan and sing, something that is unfortunately lacking in too many metal bands. // 9

Overall Impression: This may not be the greatest album ever put out, but it is very good and does not dissapoint. If you are looking for something new to get into I would reccomend it. I was most impressed by the cuts "Pressure The Hinges", "Servant Ties", "Stitches", and "Chorus of Angels". The only dissapointment in this album in my opinion, was the lack of any long guitar solos, but the guitar in the songs still impressed me, I just have a fetish for excessive guitar solos. This album stays in my 2 disc CD player. // 9

Pressure The Hinges Reviewed by: Weirdcore, on march 21, 2007

Sound: Since 2005 with their masterpiece 'When Everything Falls' they have had a good sound with their vocalist and his grunts and screams, but now he's left the band they've replaced him with a new vocalist who sounds good and is good but lacks the voice that the old vocalist had which is kind of a let down for a start. There is loads and when I say loads I mean loads of Clean vocals in this CD more than the last and when the Screams come in with the clean vocals it's quite hard to hear the Screams because of the clean vocals been on top. Now where out of the downsides of the Sound it's time to go to the good side. The drums have evolved since there last CD they are a lot more complicated and sound a lot better it makes you want to get up and hit something, The guitars sound really good including the guitar solos they have in this CD there's a couple of stacked in. The bass is really clear and can hear it perfectly throughout the album, but on the Final track "Chorus Of Angels" there's a part where the bass goes a bit too loud and fuzzy although it's meant too it doesn't sound so good on an Ipod. They have also included some keyboards as well which sounds very nice on some songs also with some catchy riffs it's a very nice sound. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics now heres the hard part, they sound pretty strong/tight throughout the album songs like 'Stitches' and 'Akeldema' the lyrics sound really good and then you here songs like 'Chorus Of Angels' and the lyrics sound so good you want to stand up and sing when you don't know the words. 'Stitches' has lyrics that you can't refuse to ignore in some parts it sounds quite serious where as in other parts it sounds quite weak, 'Akeldema' however has really nice lyrics with a really nice touch to the song and it's not mixed together with both Vocalists so you can here the Lyrics perfectly, the screams can be heard perfectly, trying to understand what his screaming can take a while in some parts but if you play it 3 times you'll eventually get them. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall it's a very hard decision to come too, there's really strong parts to the album and then again some really upsetting parts to it, it will grab you for about 5 days then you'll feel left out like they could have done that slight better with vocals, if you enjoy it loads and loads it will soon hit you like a punch in the face. This album will appeal to people who are die hard fans of the band but then again it also appeals a bit to the Post-Hardcore community which will impress all the teeny-boppers, it's an enjoyable album but not as enjoyable as I hoped it would be or what I (we) expected it to be. It sounds a bit like Underoaths 'They're Only Chasing Safety' album but has the slight touch of hardcore/metalcore to it which makes it that little less further away from turning true mainstream. I did enjoy the album and I will listen to it in the future I hope they go back to 'When Everything Falls' style, it's one of them albums you'll either Love Or Hate or have mixed feelings about, I might buy it in future and if it ever got lost then it would'nt really bother me I'd go out and buy there older stuff. Overall it's a solid album but has it's weakness's // 8

Pressure The Hinges Reviewed by: skyline142, on march 22, 2007

Sound: Wow, the sound? Got a lot better, although Jimmy is gone and Stephen has joined, the sound is still amazing. Now there is more singing since When Everything Falls, but I'm thinking there is more because now the new screamer sings too. And they even added the bassist to sing a few times. The vocals are now a low low scream. But the best part about them, they kept the killer breakdowns, pretty much every song has a fricking crushing breakdown. If you have an amazing sound system, subs, that type of stuff; it sounds amazing. I have 2 12 inch subs in my car, and the breakdowns just thump. // 9

Lyrics: I don't know about them, old Haste The Day, I could pick up the lyrics easy with out even looking them up. But it's a little harder to decipher them now. Otherwise the lyrics still have the same Christian theme, happy lyrics. Ya know. I typed up the lyrics to one of their songs so you can read them for yourself. Have you seen the sun? Have you seen the sun? or has the darkness dragged you further from your door? Take each others hands. Look into the clouds. Such a beautiful song we sing. Oh no, this is no time for excuses. We've signaled you out and the leaders keep running away. The sound of trumpets will carry you home. The sound of trumpets will resound and we all sing. Take each others hands. Look into the clouds. Suck a beautiful song we sing. Finally finding our own way back home. Such a beautiful song we sing. Re-break the bone to assure the healing. So that we might know you again. Re-break the bone. Re-break the bone. Re-break the bone. Sound the alarm like a vulture on the nation with silver. Oh no, have we sealed our own destruction? Walking away from the only thing that matters. Re-break the bone. Re-break the bone. Re-break the bone to assure healing. Re-break the bone. Know you again. Take each others hands. Look into the clouds. Such a beautiful song we sing. The sound of trumpets will carry you home. The sound of trumpets will carry you home. Re-break. // 8

Overall Impression: Well, I just saw them live last week, and just to say, he's a lot better than Jimmy live. But overall, the CD was amazing and a blast. I recommend buying it. And don't give the new guy a hard time because he's not like Jimmy, yea it don't sound the same, but it's still all there. // 9

More Haste The Day reviews rating latest review