The Dead Eye Review

haunted: The Dead Eye
Release Date: Oct 31, 2006
Label: Century Media
Genres: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal, Scandinavian Metal
This is another hard hitting release from The Haunted called 'The Dead Eye'.
 8.9
 8.7
review (1) 9 comments vote for this album:
The Dead Eye Reviewed by: Swamplord, on november 22, 2006

Sound: This is another hard hitting release from The Haunted called 'The Dead Eye'. It comes with a bonus DVD with 'the making of' as well as some video clips and live clips. The album has the right riffs to get you in an angry mood. Something I found humorus was the fact that every song name started with 'the, ' as well as their name and the album. Nevertheless, there are some great songs on this album. Something interesting is that the band recorded the album the old fashion way. Instead of recording each track seperately and mixing it together in the studio, they simply played, and recorded. The bonus to this was being able to finish the recording earlier. 'The Haunted' also did not want make music it could not recreate live. Something you cannot do if you compile all the tracks and mix them. // 8

Lyrics: I found that the singing has evolved from a constant death metal growl to a blend of hard rock and metal. In the sense that he still screams but not as harshly, and with some clean vocals thrown in. I love how the singing always manages to compliment the music. It's my opinion that the song-writer is quite skilled, firstly because the lyrics of each song have imagery associated with them. It seems that this, combined with the band name, make an association with an I'll or sick person. If you look inside the leaflet, the printing of the lyrics for each song are written in a diary entry format. But it's written the way a psychiatrist would document the progress he has made with his patient. This reinforces the idea of an institute of some sort and the lyrics compliment this idea. // 9

Overall Impression: Here's some comments on the tracks. All tracks used a C# tuning with the exception of track 5 and 12 using a drop B tuning: 01. The Premonition - is a great intro and has an excellent transition into the second track. 02. The Flood - has a catchy intro riff that kicks ass as soon as The Premonition finishes. Great head banging material on this track. 03. The Medication - I thought the lyrics in this song really stood out and also went really well with guitars. "The medication knocks the edge right off!" 05. The Reflection - recorded in drop B tuning. I found the vocals go really well with the guitars on this number. 06. The Prosecution - the catchiest, heaviest and one of my favourite songs on the album. 07. The Fallout - this song has a nice touch to it. Proceeds from a clean singing to screaming with a badass thrash riff to make your ears bleed. Another one of the favourites. 08. The Medusa - sounds more instrumental then the rest of the album while mantaining the heaviness. 09. The Highwire - an interlude. 10. The Shifter - a heavy and fast intro with the drums emphasising the guitars when the riff repeats. 11. The Cynic - is a sort of roller coaster of soft vocals and clean guitar, to screaming and distortion. 12. The Failure - the second track recorded in a drop B tuning. Clean vocals are used throughout. 13. The Stain - heavy riffs and screaming. 14. The Program - an instrumental song with no vocals. 15. The Guilt Trap - a pretty good song with some nice riffs in it, a gap in the middle and an interlude at the end of the song. All in all, it's another band out there making there way, but definitely many notches above the others. Firstly, because all members (minus the singer) created this band after their previous band 'At The Gates' split in the late '90s. A band I recommend if you like The Haunted. As I said earlier, I love that the singing compliments the style of guitar playing that 'The Haunted' have developed. I dislike some of the slow songs, because I see The Haunted as a thrash metal band. But you can't categorize a band by their dominant style of playing. As with any band they must evolve and/or change with each album release. If someone stole the CD I'd piss and moan about it, get over it and buy it again because it's a great CD and the DVD is another great bonus. // 9

Comments