Smile It's The End Of The World Review

hawk nelson: Smile It's The End Of The World
Release Date: Apr 4, 2006
Label: TNL
Genres: Punk-Pop, Punk Revival
Each of the first four tracks on this CD is a perfect, by-the-numbers combination of big guitars, tight harmonies, and catchy hooks.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.9
 8.8
Smile It's The End Of The World Reviewed by: Boss61607, on april 14, 2006

Sound: Hawk Nelson: In my oppinion, one of the greatest punk bands ever. Their debut album, "Saturday Rock Action," did not get much action. Their follow-up CD, "Letters To The President," was so successfull that the band re-released the CD with 3 new songs and 2 additional tracks. "Smile, It's The End Of The World" is a great CD that expresses their musical diversity. With a new guitarist, Jonathan, Hawk Nelson seems to be a little more punk and a little less pop. // 9

Lyrics: For anyone who wants to check this album out, but is unsure of what they are going to hear, here is a track by track review of the CD. 01. The One Thing I Have Left - a great description of Hawk Nelson. Strong vocals backed by great guitar and drum power. The bass isn't as strong in this song as in the others. 02. The Show - one of my personal favorites on the new CD. Punk guitar, bass plays well, and the drums are great as usual (thanks to Squid aka Aaron). Vocals by Jason (lead vocals) and Daniel (bass) sing a very uplifting song with great energy. 03. Bring 'em Out - featured on the Paramount Motion Picture, "Yours, Mine, & Ours," the only difference is that it doesn't have Drake Bell on vocals. A fun song with a sweet solo (something that the previous CD lacked). 04. Everything You Ever Wanted - slower love song. Not much to say about the sound. Drums are awesome, guitar is alright, and bass is well played and not too hard to hear. 05. Something On My Mind - Jason's piano skills are displayed in this upbeat song that sounds like a punk rendition of blues. The guitar and piano sound great together and the vocals are superb. 06. Is Forever Enough - a bit harder than the rest of the songs but sounds great. This song shows the bands faith and is a great expression of what they believe. 07. Zero - anther genius piano piece by Jason. A song about suicide that once again reflects Hawk's former style. 08. Nothing Left To Show - a sweet punk song that many teens and punks can relate to. The guitar is pretty crazy but it has a beautiful piano bridge and is probably going to be one of the favorites on their CD. 09. Head On Collision - again, something that many of us can relate to. Hawk does a great job of combining their softer music with their new found punk sound. Not exactly a party song but a good one none the less. 10. Hello - this song reminds me of myself. The Drums again play beautifully and this is definitely a great party song. Who doesn't love a kazoo solo? 11. It's Over - a cool song with a strong guitar and bass. The drums are sweet and the vocals just can't be beat! 12. Fourteen - a chance for us to see what Jason can really do with his voice. The piano is the main instrument in this song. Slow and touching with the lyrics seeming to tie into anyone's life. // 10

Overall Impression: I have never had any music on my PSP that even came close to this CD (besides Blink 182, of course). If you're looking for a great punk CD with a positive message, then "Smile, It's The End Of The World" is for you. // 10

Smile It's The End Of The World Reviewed by: aquaknight3, on may 22, 2006

Sound: Hawk Nelson's much awaited follow up to "Letters To The President" continues their energetic pop/punk sound and fun but serious attitude on twelve new songs. I think they have taken their music to a whole new level and upgraded their sound to my liking. They sounded good to begin with, I think, and then this has proven their ability to create better music. The CD starts right off with a great song "The One Thing I Have Left" and ends with an okay song but good record-ending "14". Everything inbetween is awesome too. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are really good and meaningful, but I think that there isn't as much Christian based stuff. There are some songs about girls, a song about going to "The Show", and stuff like that and they are great songs, but aren't Spiritual. That's okay though, I'm not saying it's bad, just pointing something out. My favorite lyrics are from "Everything You Ever Wanted" The only song I don't exactly think has just great lyrics is "14". The lyrics are basically "ohhhh" and that's it. Other than that, awesome songs with awesome lyrics with awesome vocals. I wonder how long it took to record vocals for "Head on Collision." // 10

Overall Impression: This CD is kind of new for Hawk Nelson as they grow physically and musically. While they still have some stuff from the pop/punk genre, the rock band explores new ways of doing things; displaying some noticeable flickers of musical integrity. Although it doesnt have some of the more spiritual stuff that made their debut good, Hawk Nelson's record "Smile, It's The End of The World" is a great rock record that should please current fans and attract a few new ones that may have had difficulty liking their previous work. I think Hawk Nelson is great and this is no exception. // 10

Smile It's The End Of The World Reviewed by: hawknelson, on may 14, 2007

Sound: I play bass in our youth band at church, and our drummer introduced this band to me, so I just bought this CD because it was their newest CD at the time. I was extremely impressed with the lead singer, Jason Dunn's, voice. I personally have a high tenor type voice, so that is mainly the kind of vocals I am attracted to, so I was instantly impressed over that, but also the style of guitar solos in this CD impressed me as well because they aren't too complicated, but they still fit in the songs perfectly. They remind me a lot of bands like Relient K, Stellar Kart, Simple Plan, etc. Since I discovered this CD, I have also purchased their other two main CD's: Saturday Rock Action, and Letters to the President. // 10

Lyrics: This is a very nice sounding Christian band with powerful lyrics. Although the lyrics aren't all directly related to Christian beliefs, the voice of Jason Dunn fills me at least with the presence of God (I don't know about you, but it does me). I went to see Hawk Nelson in concert here in Alabama, and it was a small concert, so I got to chill with the group and ask them a few questions, and I asked Jason Dunn what inspired him, and he told me that he really didn't think he was that good of a singer, just that everyone kept pushing him to do it because they said he was good, so he did. He also told me that it didn't matter how your voice sounds, only what you're singing about matters. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is just as good, if not better, than Letters to the President, but it is hard to compare these two because of how well the two albums are recorded. My favorites from Smile, it's the End of the World are The One Thing I Have Left, Everything You Ever Wanted, Zero, Something On My Mind, and It's Over. I love the fact that they are willing to but so much effort into writing songs that both praise the Lord and entertain others, and there's really nothing that I can think of that I dislike about the album other than the song Hello. If my copy was stolen or lost I would definately 100% buy it again because of how often I listen to it. // 10

Smile It's The End Of The World Reviewed by: I am punk "BF", on december 04, 2007

Sound: This album was not amazing. It consists of punk, punk pop, and some punk revival. Most of the songs were slow and boring. They sound like a different bandsince they had their first album. The songs on this album did not have amazing guitars, or drums. They could have used heavier guitars or more bass, but they didn't. The band kind of reminded me of a light pop rock band that tried to get famous. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics were alright in some of the songs, but I failed to see the christianity in this group. They claim to be Christains, and I don't doubt that with their hearts, but I doubt it with the lyrics. It is not like they had anything bad, it is just that I failed to see Christain aspects in the song. I do not have anything against mainstream music, I actually LOVE it, the only thing is that if you claim to be a Christain band, you should show it. // 5

Overall Impression: Overall I was not pleased with the album. I recommend their older one. Although I did not like this album there was two songs I happened to enjoy. Those songs were "The Show" and "The one thing I have left". I would be in no hurry to buy this album if it were lost or stolen. There was one cool thing that came with this album, and that was a Hawk Nelson poster, but other than that I was dissapointed. // 6

More Hawk Nelson reviews rating latest review