Summer EP Review

hawk nelson: Summer EP
Released: Jun 16, 2009
Genre: Christian Rock
Label: Tooth and Nail Records
Summer EP is Hawk Nelson's EP for summer. It contains four tracks including the title track off their upcoming fourth studio album, Live Life Loud.
 7.5
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Summer EP Reviewed by: DCTALK1, on august 21, 2009

Sound: With the late September release of their new album, Live Life Loud, swiftly approaching, Hawk Nelson released Summer EP last month to tide fans over until more new tunes surface. The four-song EP features two new cuts and two rarities, including their "Don't You (Forget About Me)" 80's cover from last Summer's JC Penny ad campaign. The "Live Life Loud" title track blends a bit of a "Bring 'Em Out" feel with classic Hawk to continue the band's own brand of pop/punk, however, "Meaning Of Life" reveals a bit more of a mature side of the guys as well, giving anyone anxious for something a little different from Hawk Nelson some hope. // 10

Lyrics: The EP gives fans an 80's feel which is generated mainly in part by the band's cover of Don't You (Forget About Me). The cover has a solid pop throwback sound, but the la la's' at the end hamper the music and the lyrics rank just higher than Hawk Nelson's Someone Else Before. A much better track is the Meaning of Life which, on top of lead singer Jason Dunn doing a nice job with the na na's,' uses strong background music to drive the pop rock song. Also, while the song is in the same vein as Live Life Loud's theme to scream', shout', and make a difference' while we have the time left in this life, Meaning of Life does state its message better: "Lately, I'm tired of the life I'm living/find a way to make a change in the lives all of us who need to find the meaning of life." // 10

Overall Impression: This Isn't There Best But It's A Great EP. I'm Looking Foward To There Album. My Favorite Songs Would Have To Be, Live Life Loud, The Meaning Of Life and Don't You ( Forget About Me ) If This CD was ever stolen, lost or damaged I would go out and buy a new 1. // 7

More Hawk Nelson reviews rating latest review