The Silence In Black And White Review

hawthorne heights: The Silence In Black And White
Released: Jun 1, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Emo
There's nothing on The Silence that'll make anyone turn it off and throw the CD across the room in a fit of rage, but it's hard to remember anything about the album an hour after it's over.
 Lyrics: 8.8
 7.6
 8.7
 6.4
The Silence In Black And White Reviewed by: Aragorn_501, on february 13, 2006

Sound: First time I ever heard about Hawthorne Heights was when I was checking out the set-up for the stages for the '05 Warped Tour. Their name stood out to me and I decided to look them up on Purevolume. I listened to Ohio Is For Lovers and was blown away. Later that week I went out and bought the CD. I knew it was going to be good but when I got it from the store and listened through it for the first ten times I was blown away by the excelence. The coolest things are that they revolutionized the triple guitar attack, and no they're not from the South. They used this force to layer the sound and it's smooth as silk. The screaming may make some people hate it but it truley adds to the excitment of the song. // 9

Lyrics: The lyircs were not hard at all to understand except for sometimes in Silver Bullet. But otherwise the lyrics were like a painting from the Renisance era. A lot of people take the "So Cut My Wrists And Black My Eyes" line a bit to serious and think it's about suicide but in the liner notes of the re-issue of it JT comments on the song it was about the bands girlfriends and that HH is a band who does not approve of suicide. JT's voice was great on all the songs and when he was calm it was all corny and shit it actually sounded real. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is great compared to most other albums under the emo category. It is farily average to what I would call musical ledgends like the Ramones, the Rolling Stones, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Aerosmith, and Queen. The greatest songs are Dissolve And Decay, Niki FM, The Transition, Silver Bullet, Screenwriting An Appology, Ohio Is For Lovers, and Speeding Up The Octaves. If someone was to steal this album not only would I buy a new copy, I would find the person who stole it and beat the shit out of them. // 9

The Silence In Black And White Reviewed by: fugazi_punk, on december 14, 2004

Sound: This band is nothing new, but, in this case, originality doesn't really matter. The sound isn't really groundbreaking, and the riffs aren't amazing nor complex. The lead guitar work is decent, but not really something to get all worked up about either. The bass and drums are pretty much the same as well. The vocals are very emo-like and generic, and the screams are just xeroxed off as well. But for some strange reason, the sound just clicks. Personally, I don't really dig the whole 3 guitar attack, because if the vocalist just dropped the guitar, he wouldn't be missing out on much playing and he could improve and concentrate more on his voice. But, this is one man's opinion, so... The sound like a mixture between Thursday, Taking Back Sunday, and a little of Armor For Sleep, but with a little less instrumental talent, and the a little less vocal talent as well. Yet, the song has many hooks as a whole, making it a very catchy album. I can sit back and still listen to this album over and over, because every song on the cd has just something that clings to your head and won't go away. And it sticks there, but not in an annoying way. This is a cd that deserves much recognition. Usually, bands that catch on with me this quick later (a few weeks) leave me without interest in replay value. But this cd just caught on and I've had it for about 4 months, and I still listen to it. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are pretty good, but the lyricist is no Boyd or Lacey. "She poured gasoline and by fire's light she cried. She cried all night, until the salt from her tears rusted shut her eyes", "Swim through these waters, my lungs collapse, as I'm gasping for air. I'll breath you in, you are my oxygen alone", and "I sleep with one eye open so I can see you breathing... You are the only station, you play the song I know" are examples of the base of the lyrics Hawthorne Heights provides. As I said before, the vocals aren't anything new. The vocals are solid and get the job done, while the harsh, almost unexpected screams come in. They fit in nicely, but the also aren't anything incredible. Still, the vocals get the job done, and fit very well with the music. // 8

Overall Impression: I can't really compare this album to other artists because this album is pretty much a combination of a lot of emo bands with a lot of hooks. "Niki FM", "Ohio Is For Lovers", "Silver Bullet", "Screenwriting An Apology", and "Speeding Up The Octaves" are my favorite. Probably my least favorable track is "Blue Burns Orange", yet it still has its moments as well, so don't be skip this one because of my opinion. I would probably buy this cd again, because overall, it was an awesome cd to listen. It's just strange how they pull off such an original sound so well. A must buy for fans of any emo genre (screamo etc.) Great cd! And I got it for only 10$ awesome buy! // 10

The Silence In Black And White Reviewed by: theused101, on december 13, 2004

Sound: This post hardcore/emo band has really done it with the cd "The Silence In Black And White." Throughout the cd the moods change so much, it can go from dreary and sad one second to fast paced and spine chilling the next. With three guitars and two singers Hawthorne Heights is awesome for any fans of Taking Back Sunday and other emo or post emo bands such as (My Chemical Romance, From First To Last, A Thorn For Every Heart, etc.) The guitars are layered so much to give an amazing effect to the cd. The screaming in the backgrounds throughout each song give chills. Almost every song on the cd has a melody that can stay stuck in your head for hours. This cd is really awesome. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics to each of the songs are amazing. Phrases like "shine on, diamond eyes, shine on" from the song "The Transition" are wonderful. It's like telling any girl just what she wants to hear. The two singers in this band are amazing, one is soft and emo-ey while the other is hardcore and screams with a lot of skill under the other singers voice. The overall impression of the lyrics in this cd tend to give more of a feeling as if your in a bad relationship, they describe fear, anger, love, hate and many more emotions that music can make so wonderful. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is definitely one of the best cds I've ever bought. My favorite songs on the cd are Niki FM, The Transition, Ohio Is For Lovers, and many more. The track listing is as follows: 01. Life On Standby 02. Dissolve And Decay 03. Niki Fm 04. The Transition 05. Blue Burns Orange 06. Silver Bullet 07. Screenwriting An Apology 08. Ohio Is For Lovers 09. Wake Up Call 10. Sandpaper And Silk 11. Speeding Up The Octaves This cd rules, if it was stolen I would buy a new one as fast as possible. It really steps up to the standards of modern day emo and pop rock in general. Hawthorne Heights is amazing, and this cd proves it! // 10

The Silence In Black And White Reviewed by: AC/DC Dude8, on june 27, 2005

Sound: Nothing special. Not bad, but could have been better. I do like how they put the screaming in the backround behind the singing. The triple guitars are nice, but not always noticable. If you're looking for a CD with songs exactly like Ohio Is For Lovers, you're not going to get it. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics were probably the most emoy (if that's a word) lyrics that I have ever heard. I can stand some emo, but this is too much for me. The singer has a very good voice, and the screaming is very good. // 4

Overall Impression: This album is exactly what I rated it. average. It can never compare to the best CD's from the past year (like The Empire Strikes First from Bad Religion), but is pretty much up to par with other CD's like Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge from MCR and Where You Want To Be by Taking Back Sunday. The best songs are Silver Bullet, Ohio Is For Lovers, and Nikki FM. I would not buy this album again if lost or stolen. // 6

The Silence In Black And White Reviewed by: DEARblckGOODBYE, on july 01, 2005

Sound: "The Silence In Black And White" probally has one of the most rememberable sounds. There is no way any emo/screamo fan could hate it. I know I don't. The three guitarist just adds to the greatness of Hawthorne's sound. // 10

Lyrics: I am in love with the lyrics on the cd. Wheather is be "Shine On Diamond Eyes" or "Dear Black Goodbye" the lyrics are increadable. The vocals on this cd are amazing. The lead singer JT Woodruff has one the most impressable voices I've ever heard, and with Casey Calvert screaming and Matt Ridenour singing along there is no way anyone could hate it. // 10

Overall Impression: Honestly, this is one of my favorite albums. I've had this cd for 10 moths now and I am still listening to it so there is actually nothing I hate about it. Really I think that the only album that can even compare to Hawthorne Heights' "The Silence In Black And White" is Senses Fail's "Let It Enfold You" and of course the reissued copy with 7 bonus songs. I believe that all the songs are impressive, but my favorites would have to be "Blue Burns Orange", "Niki FM," "Ohio Is For Lovers," "Screenwriting An Apology," "Dessolve And Decay," "Life On Standby," "Silver Bullet," "Wake Up Call," "Speeding Up The Octaves" and "Sandpaper And Silk." Oh wait that's the whole CD, so I guess that means I love the whole thing. If the CD were stolen, I would hunt down the person that took it and beat them with it until they couldn't move (but I don't think I'd have to worry about that because I have the original and the reissued). If it were lost, I would go crazy trying to find it (but once again I have them both so I wouldn't have to worry about it). // 10

The Silence In Black And White Reviewed by: deathbat411, on october 12, 2006

Sound: This CD is by far one of Hawthorne Height's best. They have a kind of alternative singing, but in the choruses a guy in the backround screams. The Guitarists are pretty good, too. No blazing solos, but they keep a good rythm and have good intros. With no doubt, I'd have to say they are what I call "alternative screamo." // 8

Lyrics: I have to say, I'm not really a fan of thier lyrics. Like in the song "Ohio Is For Lovers," they say "Cut my wrist and black my eyes" which, in other words would simply be "Kill me" and I don't like that because it may encourage kids to become emo. But, the singers make up for the horrible lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: I would have to say that Hawthorne Heights is deffinetely not as good as my favorite band, Avenged sevenfold, but they come in a close second. If you just wanted to by some of their songs on iTunes I would suggest getting "Ohio Is For Lovers", "Niki FM", and "Life On Standby". What I love about this band and CD is that they always keep a nice rhythm and have nice singing and guitar. // 10

The Silence In Black And White Reviewed by: Violenta, on december 17, 2004

Sound: The sound is a pretty basic emo/post-hardcore sound. The three guitars may look cool live but its not very noticeable on the cd. Very catchy though, I enjoy listing to it. Good to get yourself in an emo mood. Guitars could be louder in some parts were they break in from a light riff. The drums and base pretty much just guide the music nothing real great. Its a good listen and cathcy but I dont think there is anything that would blow you away. // 8

Lyrics: I really like the singing in this band, and the lyrics are pretty good emo lyrics. The screamer in this band is great its just a hard sound that accompanies the lead singer and it accompanies it well. I think Blue Burns Orange is a wonderful love song and its my favorite one on the cd. // 10

Overall Impression: This band is like Silverstein but not as much screaming and the songs arnt as fast. Being that it is their first cd as Hawthorne Heights I'd say it is pretty impressive, although they were formely known as A Day In The Life but they had a different line up. I just love how the whole cd is really easy to listen to. Nothing I really hate about this album. It is a little slower than most emo/hardcore bands. // 8

The Silence In Black And White Reviewed by: nmelluzzo, on june 09, 2005

Sound: 3 guitars make this band different from the other bands that are around at this time. Having two vocalists also adds more to the sound, one with the typical emo voice and then the screamer which adds an excellent effect. The guitar riffs sound similar in a few of the songs though. // 8

Lyrics: Very good lyrics on the songs and the two vocalists adds some great effects. I like how the screaming compliments the mellow singing. // 10

Overall Impression: I just picked up this cd a few days ago and have been listening to it non stop ever since. My favorite songs are Niki FM, Blue Burns Orange, and Ohio Is For Lovers. I love how the two vocalists compliment each other so well and the fact that they have 3 guitarist. If it was stolen I would find who took it, take it back and hit them with it. If it was lost I would reburn it since I have it backed up on iTunes. // 10

The Silence In Black And White Reviewed by: Sundayhawthorne, on june 28, 2005

Sound: You have to admit. Ohio If For Lovers is definantly a really great song. But the rest of the CD is a little bit of a let down if your expecting the songs to be as good as Ohio Is For Lovers. Pretty good guitar riffs and the screamer isn't that bad either. But overall I think the CD is just to repetitive. // 6

Lyrics: The Lyrics are pretty emo to tell you the truth and sorta make you think but the lyrics do not, by far, compare to the impact that a band such as my chemical romance has. The lyrics are your typical emo CD. // 6

Overall Impression: The Silence In Black And White is overall a pretty good first album for Hawthorne Heights but there is still alot of room for improvment. I don't think it comes close to how good bands such as Taking back Sunday, My Chemical Romance, Finch, or Armor For Sleep are. The most impressive song on the album would be no suprise for people would be Ohio Is For Lovers. I know people who bought the CD and only listen to that song. But the other impressive songs would have to be Silver Bullet and Life On Stand By. I like the lyrics but what I hate about this CD is how much hype this CD gets from people. It's not a cd to spaz out about. So I suggest not to buy this cd and buy a Brand New or a My Chemical Romance people. The are both alot better and not as repetitive. I think the songs almost all sounds the same. And look at what I just said if you want to know if it were stolen if I would buy it again. // 6

The Silence In Black And White Reviewed by: trivial, on december 08, 2005

Sound: My friend mentioned to me today that they were emo but I wouldn't have said they were. I think they are a mix of genres and each song is individual. The music is flowing and intersting but the acoustic tracks lack emotion and power. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are sometimes deep and personal to the singer but at times they are just about everything and anything. JT Woodruffs voice is powerful and full of hidden tricks. and with Matt and Casey's vocals behind it it is full of interesting harmonies. // 9

Overall Impression: This is their debut album and what an album it is. I first got into them by listening to the warped tour album and they were on it I really liked the track ohio is fo lovers so I got the album. The best songs on the album for me areSilver Bullet and Speeding up the octives. Amazing. If I ever lost this album I would go out straight away and and buy it again. I listen to it all the time. // 10

The Silence In Black And White Reviewed by: Emokid123, on january 25, 2006

Sound: This is my favorite band and I think that they sound amazing because of how they pulled off both emo and screamo. I also like how there are 3 members who sing it gives you a diffrent style. I have seen them 2 times live and they sound just as good as there CD. // 10

Lyrics: To me the lyrics are great. They are by far some of the most emo lyrics I have herd. Also you can tell what they are talking about. I like how they get some of there stuff like "I'm outside of your window with my radio" Niki FM, track 3 from the movie say anything the screaming on this cd is pretty good. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this album and can relate to it. My band is doing a lot of covers from them. The only thing I hate about them is the people who listen and dislike them for being emo and say that they suck. Just don't listen to them then. // 10

The Silence In Black And White Reviewed by: myampgoesto11, on march 06, 2006

Sound: Hawthorne Heights has a pretty decent sound. Though it is nothing new, it is worth listening to, I'd I wouldn't turn it off if I heard it. Maybe it's my stereo, but it seems to sound far away. Also, It would be nice to have a little heavier music. It seems to be geared towards teenaged girls. I hope they notice this and make it heavier, less emo, and they might capture back the boy fanbase they lost when they introduced they're first couple of songs. But, nevertheless, HH is a very good band. My best mate gave me a burned copy, and I've been popping it in even after 4 monthes. The 3 gutarist approach is a unique idea, and takes pressure off the other gutarists so HH can make all that high pitched and low pitched music at the same time. // 8

Lyrics: One can only take so much emo lyrics. The lyrics need an huge overhaul. Some of it is good. Most of it is bad. To get a bigger fanbase, the emo look has to go. And quickly. There are a few phrases that still catch my attention, like "3 last words. "I love you" is all she heard. I'll wait for. But I can't wait forever." And less of the screaming. Personally, that's what may be ruining HH. // 6

Overall Impression: Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of HH. But sometimes, it seems like it should be bought by teenage girls. The sound is nothing new, as it sounds like most emo bands out there. My favorite song is probably Ohio Is For Lovers for it's lyrics alone. If someone had stolen it, I might want it back, It's not exactly my favorite album in my collection, but it's decent. It's worth litening to, but not everyday, and with little replay value. But don't take my word for it. You might like it more than I do. // 8

The Silence In Black And White Reviewed by: realpaintheory, on august 07, 2007

Sound: I bought this album solely based on hearing one song from it: Ohio Is For Lovers. I think I can safely say that that one song is probably the highlight of the album. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the album is awful; far from it. I listened to the album for the first time and loved it. But the next day, I couldn't remember which song was which, and nothing really stood out in my mind. The songs, while good, are all a bit "samey," I could listen to them seperately and love them, but together, on one album, I soon became bored. The album I bought came with a DVD I have yet to check out (I'll keep you posted) and a booklet which gives a summary of how each song was conceived, which is a pretty nifty idea, if you're like me and find that thing interesting. The songs themselves were good, and I'd listen to them any day. However, I'm not sure putting them all on this album was the best idea, as they all seem to merge into one, which didn't give a lasting impression of each individual song. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics to the songs on this album are clever and touching. The anguish, pain and torment they convey really fit with the screaming and heavy music played with them. Not much to say about the lyrics, really. They tell stories of love, of pain, of music, the stories behind each song come with the CD so I don't feel a need to explain them really! The vocals on this are amazing, I really love the singer's voice, both singing and screaming, it sent shivers down my spine on several occasions. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is OK. I have better albums that are much more memorable, however this could be a lot worse. I think the main problem here is the order of the songs, they blend into each other and most of them sound quite similar. However, the album does have it's good points, and some amazing songs. The lead vocals also really bring the songs to life. The instruments on the song are brilliant and well-played. If I lost this album, I don't think I would buy it again, although I would maybe give Hawthorne Heights another chance and buy "If only you were lonely", which I don't own at present. The album isn't brilliant, but it isn't awful, either. If you enjoy HH, I would still recommend the album to you, but I probably wouldn't advise listening to it all the way through, maybe listening to the songs seperately when you put your iPod on shuffle if you have one. // 7

The Silence In Black And White Reviewed by: DarkPrince6661, on february 02, 2008

Sound: Hawthorne Heights is such a great band. This is probly one of there best albums. it's so sad they broke up. For all yous who didn't know the guitarist casey culvert passed on and they have broken up. I love this band. the sound of the band is so great. They also have a album if you were lonly it doesnt't compare to this one but it is still very good. Hawthorne Heights knows how to make music sound good and also mean a lot they are the perfect combanation of guitar and drums // 10

Lyrics: The singer Eron has great vocals he is very good the lyrics mean a lot to espeicialy the ones to Ohio Is For Lovers or Niki FM. There lyrics match perfectictally with the music the sadder lyrics have sadder music behind them and there more happier songs have more upbeat music behind them // 10

Overall Impression: The best songs from this album are Niki fM, Ohios For Lovers they are also some of the bands biggest hits there overall impression was great it is so great nothing on there album if you were lonly can even compare to this one it is so good everything matches to gather from the perfect drum beats to awesome guitar leads this album definatly gets a 10 the band gets a 10 whoever manages them gets a10 anyone who ever does anything for them gets a 10 Hawthorne Heights rocks! // 10

The Silence In Black And White Reviewed by: loopymoscardini, on october 30, 2009

Sound: The Silence in Black and White is the debut album by American rock band Hawthorne Heights, released in 2004 through Victory Records. The album title comes from a lyric in the song Nikki FM. This album has a lot of emotional depth and and offers a wide variety of sounds ranging from softer to heavier struming. It's mainly of an Emo, screamo, post-hardcore, pop punk genre. They use a nice mixture of smooth plucking which is very catchy and great to play alone or in a band. I found this CD a few years back and have never looked back. The first song I heard was silver bullet and now I'm a fan of them all. There is also a CD/DVD version of this album and the acousticversions of some of the songs are excellent. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are very touching and are able to reach out to me as a listener. The lyrics create a story within each song heavily leaning on romance in the lyrics and a sense of being lost. The lyrics fit with the music very well and I found that with the more touching and emotional lyrics were played with softer pluckings and slow strumming meanwhile the more agressive, frustrational lyrics were played to a harder more angry beat. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is up high in my album list and I'm now a huge fan. It's introduced me to a new kind of music whereas before I only used to listen to bands such as papa roach and green day. It's also made me listen to the lyrics in the songs more and have helped my find stories in them. In my opinion the best songs on this album are disolve and decay, nikki fm, screen writing an apology, ohio is for lovers and sand paper and silk. Although they're all good ;P I love the whole album and the depth it has in it. I would definately buy this album again and would definately recommend the CD/DVD version. // 9

The Silence In Black And White Reviewed by: metalcoredude39, on february 23, 2011

Sound: This band is difficult to categorize due to the fact that they combine elements from pop punk, post-hardcore, alternative rock and emo. With that said, the resulting sound is amazing. All the songs have amazingly catchy choruses, and with guitarist Casey Calvert's unforgettable backing screams to augment JT Woodruff's already amazing vocal ablilities, this album is easy to get hooked on. With three guitarists, this band goes beyond what most rock bands do with the guitar. The three guitarists cleverly add layering effects into their music to make them stand out from every other emo/hardcore band. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very deep and personal. They mostly deal with loss, depression, and being away from those you love. They are carried out very well by frontman JT Woodruff. He has a great range, and alternates perfectly from soft, whispered vocals in a verse to high emotional singing in the chorus. Guitarist/screamer Casey Calvert adds unclean vocals and gives the melodies a quite thick sound. In addition to the screaming, bassist Matt Ridenour adds calm backing vocals, usually two octaves lower than JT's vocals, producing an intresting combination of dinamics. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this is one of my all-time favorite albums. It helped me through some really tough times. I think what I love about this album is how every song seems to fit together, as a whole it seems to represent a single meaning, even though I'm not quite sure what it is. Every song is amazing, but the album's stand-outs are Ohio is for Lovers, Wake Up Call, and Blue Burns Orange. If it was destroyed, I would definetly buy it again. // 9

More Hawthorne Heights reviews rating latest review