I Am Hollywood Review

he is legend: I Am Hollywood
Released: Nov 2, 2004
Label: Solid State
Genre: Rock
This is an intelligent and thought-provoking effort from the Christian screamo crew.
 9.4
 9.3
 9.4
I Am Hollywood Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 24, 2005

Sound: The sound of this CD is pure rock. Anyone liking music from rock to hardcore would love this album. If I were you I would save up 10 bucks and go buy it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are a little weird. But they fit with the songs really good. In "The Seduction" the singer will be talking about how he has to find the princess and then the next hell be tlking about Mr Jones will be right with you if you would please have a seat. // 8

Overall Impression: This CD is simply amazing. I would deffinetly buy this CD again, it's one of those CDs you can never get sick of. I love how it can go from singing to growling to screaming and thena good melody and then back to singing. The best songs are 1-10. It's that good of a CD. // 10

I Am Hollywood Reviewed by: papersun87, on october 19, 2005

Sound: Initially, a person would move to describe this band as "screamo," but that really doesn't say enough. He Is Legend uses elements from hard rock, screamo, hardcore, pop/punk, death metal, '80s arena rock, '70s speed pop rock, and even muzak. Most of the riffs consist of Mackenzie Bell playing something heavy and Adam Tanbouz playing a series of tight lead licks. Matt Williams' base riffs are amazing (e.g. "The Creature Walks"). Unfortunately, Steve Bache's drumming suffers from the screamo tendency to not record them very loud, but it doesn't take away from the fact that he is an excellent, creative drummer (e.g. "China White"). The vocals run the gambit from higher-pitched screamo wailing to mid-range and lower-pitched stuff all the way to guttural death metal roaring and soaring screaming. By no means is it your usual screamo walk in the park. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, while fitting in very well with the ludicrousity of the band, sometimes are hard to decipher, if they even mean anything at all. However, vocalist Schuylar Croom does a fantastic job of presenting them. The entire album, ten tracks, is divided up into acts, which are further separated into scenes (Act 1, Scene 1: The Seduction, Act 1, Scene 2: Eating a Book, etc). Despite this, the lyrics don't seem to follow any set storyline. Symbolism in the lyrics, and the album's title, sarcastically suggest a hatred of all things Hollywood. However vauge at times, the lyrics are no less catchy or thought-provoking, and range from topics such as little piggies and wolves to a coffee-drinking, movie-discussing monster. // 7

Overall Impression: Does it compare to other albums? Yes. The most impressive songs to me were "The Seduction," "China White," and "The Walls Have Teeth." I love how the band seamlessly blends a cornucopia of musical, vocal, and lyrical styles and never loses a thing in the transition. There is very little on the album I could really say that I don't like, except that, as previously noted, the drums are recorded a tad quiet. And if it were stolen or lost, I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Expect to see more from these amazing musicians. // 10

I Am Hollywood Reviewed by: Poohaa, on july 31, 2006

Sound: He Is Legend - I am Hollywood is one of those albums you can just listen to over and over again without getting sick of it. It maintains a constant string of not very complex yet great sounding lead breaks right throught most of the songs, the bass I found is quite unnoticable exept for the awum riff in 'The Creature Walks' but I suppose thats just 'cause I'm a guitarist and I noticed that the drums were pretty fast and had a great rythm to it. Every song on the album is great and I couldn't really name my favorite song. They also have no really crappy quiet song either which is good. Defanitly one of my favorite bands but most definatly my fav. hardcore/screamo one. // 10

Lyrics: Although they may seem like nonsense and really are I spose I love theme. They're great, catchy and fit together really well with the lead and rythm guitar and have a massivly wide vocal range and often up tempo beat to it. The lead singer is pretty amazing and has a pretty awesome scream too, but unlike alot of screaming band his screams fits in great with the rythm and melody of the music. // 9

Overall Impression: As afore mentioned I don't really have a favorite but I love 'Dinner With A Gypsy' and I love every song on it except for 'you sound like a white boy'if thats evem on it. If it were stonen or lost I would burn it again (I'm poor, and I live all the way in new zealand so its pretty scarce down here). // 10

More He Is Legend reviews rating latest review