Suck Out The Poison Review

he is legend: Suck Out The Poison
Release Date: Oct 3, 2006
Label: Solid State
Genres: Rock
The music is incredible on this album. It is heavier, darker, and to me better then the first album.
 Lyrics: 8.8
 8.2
 8.1
 8.2
Suck Out The Poison Reviewed by: VeloriumCamper, on november 20, 2006

Sound: The album starts off with the track "Dixie Wolf (The Seduction Of...)", a sequel of sorts to "The Seduction" off of their previous album I am Hollywood. The track boasts the hammer and pull off sequence on guitars which He Is Legend are famous for. "Attack Of The Dungeon Witch" blends the newly acquired intense southern rock feel with the melody of their previous works to make one beautiful song. The next few tracks follow the trend of the beginning, mixing their two different sounds together to make great heavy music. He Is Legend are the first band I've heard in a while to really congregate classic rock, southern rock, and modern screamo into one. "China White II" another follow up to an old song is by far my favorite track on the album. One of the heaviest songs I've heard this year, the track definitely packs a punch. With two breakdowns towards the end of the song, you can't help but stop what you're doing and listen in full focus. The album slows down I feel a little towards the end and is a little too long, coming to almost an hour in run time. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically, the album is just as good as their previous work, maybe not having as creative lyrics as they used to have, but that definitely gets picked up by the aggresiveness and down-right crudeness of the lyrics. You can't help but to grind you teeth when you hear lyrics like these: "With your father gone/And your mom in chains/Your mother never looked so good!" The guitars on the album are stupendous. Nothing is more fun to hear and play then some dirty southern rock and that's exactly what this is. Showcasing their talent, the beginning to "Electronic Throat" includes a classic southern riff which gets you excited for the song to come. "Stampede", "Mushroom River", and "(((Louds" include some of the best guitar parts on the album and are definitely worth a listen. // 9

Overall Impression: The production on the album is pretty good, a little foggy at times, but overall it has a good sound and feel to it. In final, He Is Legend have put out one of my favorite records of the year so far, and have definitely surprised me with their new material. Who knew a band could change their sound so much and yet still sound great. If you're a fan of dirty, heavy, southern rock then I highly suggest you pick this album up because you will not be dissapointed. Even if you aren't a fan of this type of music, I still suggest you give the album a try. They have changed their sound so much, people who initially did not like the band might like the more serious, gritty side to them now. // 9

Suck Out The Poison Reviewed by: TehJermie, on november 20, 2006

Sound: Like everyone who was addicted to I am Hollywood, I was shocked when I first listened to the new album. I was almost disappointed, but instead of dismissing it right there, I gave the new album some time to sink in. Simply put, the new sound is awesome. Musically, they included most of the good stuff from I am Hollywood. The only thing they really left out was the style diversity (No Jazz, Hardcore, Breakdowns etc.) and the poppiness. The hooks are still there, but it is more dirty. Seems like Bleach era Nirvana injected with Post-hardcore and heavy Southern rock steroids. These guys are sonic giants. // 9

Lyrics: Schuylar is one today's best rock writers, if not the best. The lyrics are very imaginative and the album unfolds like a book. It's one of those novels that when it grabs ahold of you, it will not let go until the very end. And the lyrics fit the music perfectly, but this really goes for every He Is Legend song I've ever listened to. Schuylar's vocals are great and I'm really digging the raspy tones. This is Dirt-Rock, and he pulls no punches with his vocal delivery. // 10

Overall Impression: It keeps growing on me more after every listen. They really keep outdoing themselves with each release and I really can't wait to see where these guys will be in 2 or 3 years. As far as songs go, the best ones would have to be Serpent Sickness, The Pot Bellied Goddess, Attack Of The Dungeon Witch, and Dixie Wolf. My only gripe is that they didn't throw in a million styles like I am Hollywood, but this isn't that kind of album, which I got over pretty quickly. Incredible album. // 9

Suck Out The Poison Reviewed by: papersun87, on october 06, 2006

Sound: He is Legend should change their name to He I'd Mediocore and change the name of their new album "Suck Out The Poision" to "Suck Out The Originality." I had very high hopes for this album after the sheer mastery of "I Am Hollywood," but sadly, this album is quite disappointing. Part of what made He is Legend great was their ability to seamlessly blend different styles of music and influences, giving each track it's own individual feel. Some tracks had a punk feel, some tracks had a hardcore feel, some had a metal feel. "SOTP" has none of that, and it becomes fourteen tracks of sheer drudgery. There are flashes of brilliance on "Dixie Wolf," with it's laid-back chorus, "Attack Of The Dungeon Queen" with it's harmonized guitar licks and pinch harmonics, and "Mushroom River" with it's Nirvana-esque feel, but the other tracks get lost in the flow. "China White II" makes very little reference to "China White I" from "I am Hollywood." "(( (Louds," touted by the band for involving a female vocalist, is almost nine minutes of the same grinding riff. True screamo/metalcore fans will love it, but I was a He is Legend fan because they didn't conform to the scene like everyone else. // 3

Lyrics: Schuylar Croom sounds pissed on this album. The lyrics sound like they describe the sixteen-century Salem witch hunts and are interesting at first, but by the fourteenth track they've gotten repetitive. Schuylar's voice was a big concern for me: I thought he was the best vocalist in rock music today, and I think he wore out his voice because he sounds nothing like he used to. His voice is gravelly and he has trouble staying on pitch. Mckenzie Bell's additional screaming is still amazing, however. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, "SOTP" doesn't hold a candle to "I Am Hollywood" or "91025." Certain standout tracks ("Dixie Wolf," "Attack Of The Dungeon Queen," "Mushroom River") are fun, but not worth the price of the whole disc. Sadly, He Is Legend has gotten bland, mediocre, and unoriginal. // 2

Suck Out The Poison Reviewed by: thedeucemoose, on october 09, 2006

Sound: This band has changed it's sound, but the change is an improvement. People expecting I am Hollywood Part 2 will be disappointed, but this band wanted to dig into their southern rock roots. The result is a heavier, rawer, and dirtier album than IAH. The guitar tone is dirtier, and Schuylar sings in a raspier voice. The bass work is as great as it was on their earlier work, as is the drumming. They add little things here and there to keep it interesting. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics throughout the album are a sort of Southern fairy tale. There are definitely some lyrics that you wouldn't have previously heard by this band. They have taken a turn for the darker. China White II, for example, has downright nightmarish lyrics. Schuylar's words complement the new style of lyrics, no doubt. // 9

Overall Impression: In my opinion, this album beats IAH, and that album was one of my absolute favorites since it came out. I listened to it nearly every day. Now this album will get that amount of playing time. The best songs are Dixie Wolf, Attack of the Dungeon Witch, China White II, Serpent Sickness, and ( ((Louds. Pick this album up and give it a shot. There are some naysayers, but they are probably people that wanted a carbon copy of the last album. // 10

Suck Out The Poison Reviewed by: ElmarFudd, on october 05, 2007

Sound: He Is Legend delivers an incredibly unique sound that borders on falling into it's own genre. Though more coarse than past albums, the sound is still undeniably He Is Legend. Even with a new guitarist, they remain the same musically, they deliver memorable songs that you can listen to over and over. // 8

Lyrics: He Is Legend is only half music, the other half of course being lyrics. Lead singer/song writer Schuylar Croom provides incredible lyrics with deep symbolism and meaning, that also sounds great. His voice has changed since older CDs, but the lyrics remain the same. // 10

Overall Impression: This is arguably the best album, though it's hard to beat I am Hollywood. Suck Out The Poison often connects to I am Hollywood through it's songs -examples are China White II and Dixie Wolf (The Seduction Of... - Getting used to their new sound took some getting used to, but once your used to it, you can learn to appreciate it. I would definitely recommend this CD, or any CD by this band. // 9

More He Is Legend reviews rating latest review