Live From Radio City Music Hall Review

Heaven And Hell: Live From Radio City Music Hall
Release Date: Aug 28, 2007
Label: Rhino
Genres: Heavy Metal, British Metal, Album Rock
Heaven & Hell are not a guilty pleasure; the band is a riot of the greatest aspects of stadium rock power and glory.
 9.9
 9.8
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Live From Radio City Music Hall Reviewed by: rattlehead924, on june 14, 2008

Sound: In their triumphant 2007 reunion tour Ronnie James Dio and crew (Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, and Vinny Appice)recorded their performance at Radio City Music Hall resulting in this CD. Playing all of the classics from their years together including "The Mob Rules", "Die Young", and of course "Heaven and Hell" as well as two new songs from the The Best Of Black Sabbath: The Dio Years "The Devil I Cried" and "Shadow Of The Wind". All of these songs sounds great and the crowd seemed to have enjoyed the show as much as I have. Tony Iommi lays down the classic riffs with enough precision attitude to remind us all that he's the "father" of metal. Geezer Butler one of my all time favorite bassists, does what he does best, beating out some of the best bass lines ever written and without ever taking away from the music as a whole. Vinny Appice is at the top of his game and the way he and Geezer lock is superb. // 10

Lyrics: No one can deny that Ronnie James Dio is both a lyrical genius and one of the greatest voices in metal ever. His lyrics are, as usual well delivered and some of the most intelligent lines in all of metal or music in general. When it comes to singing few did it better in their prime what Ronnie James Dio can do as an old man, his vocals are spot on and he is showing no signs of stopping anytime soon. Dio's interaction with the crowd is great and really adds to the concert feel. As he tempts the crowd to sing along in the intro of "Heaven And Hell" you just can't help but give in to him and do as he says. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is an excellent album and one of the best live albums I have ever heard, it's right up there with "Live After Death" and "Live And Dangerous". I loved everything about this album, the only problem I could find would be that it only has 15 tracks split between two discs. The packaging is some of the best looking I've ever seen, it silver and shiny and you'll have to see it for yourselves. If this album was stolen I would find the man who stole it and throw him in the lions den (or something else equally painful). Anybody with taste in music will love this record and see it as the timeless classic that I do. // 10

More Heaven And Hell reviews rating latest review