Everything's Watched, Everyone's Watching Review

Genres: Alternative Metal, Thrash, Screamo
 Lyrics: 7.5
 7.9
 7.7
Everything's Watched, Everyone's Watching Reviewed by: VeloriumCamper, on november 20, 2006

Sound: The album starts off with the short but sweet track "This Is Really Testing The Patience I've Never Had", a fast, heavy, vibrant track that gets you ready for the album. The next three tracks, "A, S, V, L, N", "Mall Nutrition", and "Are You Okay Kiddo?", are all songs that the public had heard previously to the album being released, whether in forms of MySpace or their previous EP F--k It! My main problem with this album is the lack of new tracks. Only 4 out of 11 of the tracks had I not heard previous to the album being released. Four tracks which total up to 6 minutes and 12 seconds is not enough material to hold me over. I understand that the band is getting a fresh start with the new label and wants to showcase their best work to their new fans, but c'mon now, 4 new tracks? That does not cut it. The instrumentals on this album are great though. Heavy Heavy Low Low were never the most talented band out there, but they have matured from whence they first began the band, and have definitely improved the quality of their instumentation. Now, the vocals. On previous Heavy Heavy Low Low work, the vocals definitely punched you in the teeth, a mix of deep growling and screeching from vocalist Robbie kept you on the edge of your seat. On the new album, I think Robbie's vocal chords are beginning to go, which is why he moans and groans much more than he used to. Hopefully my statement is untrue, because that would be a shame for a young band's vocalist to lose his stength so early in their career. I can't help but cringe at some of the vocals though, because some of them are just unlistenable. The moaning and groaning gets old by the third or fourth song and becomes quite repetitive by the end of the album. // 7

Lyrics: The band's lyrics are still in tip top form, staying creative and imaginative, the lyrics are often brutal and definitely force you to sustain an open-mind. The track "Are You Okay Kiddo?" boasts the lyrics: "Our guise is that of an apparition/Enthralled in the vanity of self-worship/Our robe our crown as much a part of us/As the very marrow in our bones." The production on the album of course is fantastic. Casey Bates is definitely one of the best producers out there right now, and that is definitely why a lot of bands in the scene are heading his way when they want to record some new material. He blends everything so beautifully and you can hear every note, and every chord as lucid as possible. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, Heavy Heavy Low Low have put out a halfway decent album, with many flaws, but definitely some bright spots, which the band can work on for the future. These guys can definitely go somewhere in the scene and have the potential to do so. Whether they exploit that talent and potential is up to them for now. // 7

Everything's Watched, Everyone's Watching Reviewed by: directorrut, on june 02, 2007

Sound: Heavy Heavy Low Low's sound is incredible. It's neurotic and fascinating, all over the place with it's intensity and charisma. Ryan and Danny's guitars speak to each other and they don't just chat. They scream and whine and drool and grind all over the tracks, and the guitars are what hit you the hardest. Andrew's bass is thumping and constant, groovy and melodic, a perfect contrast to the heavy guitars. Christopher's drums are genius, some of the most creative and wacky drum beats. His hits and thumps and crashes stay in line with the guitars, and together all this noise eats you. Robbie's vocals are top of the line, between his shrill screams on Eating The Porridge, Killing The Bears, to his low growls he remains king of, on There's A Bat. // 9

Lyrics: Robbie's lyrics are smart, angry, apathetic, and depressed, all at once. Obviously a man with a lot going on inside, he translates it perfectly into his lyrics. One of the strongest examples of his emotions would be "Buddy, You're Makin' No Sense" or "Mall-Nutrition". The first track, "This Is Really Testing The Patience I've Never Had" is a perfect song for the average minimum-wage drone, explaining his contempt for his job. Some songs stem from stories behind them, like "There's A Bat" being about a bandana that looked like a bat. One of the darker songs, "Eating The Porridge, Killing The Bears" is about abortion, keeping in line with Heavy Heavy Low Low's offensive reputation. // 8

Overall Impression: All in all, this CD is an amazing, complex, layered, yet seemingly simple contribution from a young, incredibly talented band. Buy it. Or die. Or get high, with HHLL if you please. Oh and to all the Heavy Heavy Low Low haters out there, I suggest you take some time to actually listen to this CD, and you'll realize how good it is. Also, while being somewhat short, it's still worth the ten bucks. // 10

More Heavy Heavy Low Low reviews rating latest review