Keeps Us Off The Streets Review

hello: Keeps Us Off The Streets
Released: 1975
Genre: Pop Rock, Pop, Glam Rock
Label: Bell
The majority of the songs featured on "Keeps Us Off the Streets" sound similar to "New York Groove," in that they share a danceable, glam-pop-protopunk vibe to them.
 8.4
 8.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Keeps Us Off The Streets Reviewed by: N3WW4V3N1NJ4, on august 05, 2014

Sound: Hello were a very early glam rock band. They did the original version of the song "New York Groove." Ace Frehley of KISS didn't really change the song up much when he covered it on his hit 1978 self-titled solo album. Pretty much all you would have to do is put Roger Daltrey-esque vocals over Ace's version to make it sound just like the original. The majority of the songs featured on "Keeps Us Off the Streets" sound similar to "New York Groove," in that they share a danceable, glam-pop-protopunk vibe to them. It's a sound that's enjoyable, unless you really don't like 1970s pop, which I personally find far preferable to the pop of today, but if you don't like it, this album will be like Hell for you. Oh and don't forget, you were looking for that Slipknot album review! // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are nothing special, but they get the job done for this type of music. The lead vocalist of the band Hello has a very British Invasion-style voice that lends itself nicely to the music and is, as far as I can tell, a very big factor in the overall reason these songs are so catchy. The guy has a voice that fits, it doesn't cause annoyance to the eardrums, like Justin Bieber (who sucks) and a couple other singers I can think of. Unless, as I stated before, you really do not like 1970s pop music, in which case this will make you sick. And by the way, wasn't there a Slayer album review you were looking for before you started reading this? // 8

Overall Impression: I can safely say that if you enjoy T. Rex, The Monkees, Sweet, The Kinks, or any combination of the above, then you will probably really enjoy Hello's "Keeps Us Off the Streets." I know I do! Alternately, if you are a KISS fan, curious about the original version of "New York Groove," you will probably like the original version. As I mentioned before, Ace didn't change it much. Hello are a nice, fun glam rock group who sadly haven't been treated very well by history, so, if you feel like it, give them a chance. Unless, you really don't like the pop music of the 1970s. Hey, that reminds me... Wasn't there a Celtic Frost album review you were looking for before you read this? // 9

Comments