Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs! Review

artist: hellogoodbye date: 03/22/2013 category: compact discs
hellogoodbye: Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs!
Release Date: Aug 8, 2006
Label: Drive-Thru
Genres: Rock
Most young Southern California bands sound very much the same, but "Z!A!V!D!" is a good change up from high pitched whiney seventeen year old bands that seem to dominate the clubs lately.
 6.8
 6.7
 6.8
Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs! Reviewed by: Ely Rosetta, on august 01, 2006

Sound: I was very surprised when I first heard this CD because I thought the album would sound like Shimmy Shimmy Quarter Turn, their first single which is a third-wave emo/synth-rock song (aka, pop music crap) That gets occasional play time on MTV 2. To my surprise and delight, Z.A.V.D. is nothing like that at all, it is instead a delicious music speedball, one part new wave electronica, and one part indie rock and roll. Most young Southern California bands sound very much the same, but Z.A.V.D. is a good change up from high pitched whiney seventeen year old bands that seem to dominate the clubs lately. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are fairly generic through most of the album. There's nothing to midblowing or original but that nothing to mind blowing or original. The final track Two Weeks in Hawaii, a song about loneliness and despair in paradise, shows that later in their careers, they might turn into a serious band with some fairly deep lyrics. For now however, the lyrics are fairly shallow. // 4

Overall Impression: Hellogoodbye is a new new-wave band that is influenced by eighties and nineties music as opposed to the old new wave bands that were influenced by sixties music like The Who and The Beatles. I recommend this album to people that are getting tired of the high-pitched whiney bands dominating the so-cal rock and roll scene and are sick of the classics. It's a very refreshing new sound. Although I have a bootleg, I will definitely get the actual album when it comes out (go to hellogoodbye.net to hear the first two minutes of all the songs on the album). // 7

Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs! Reviewed by: takenthecannoli, on march 22, 2013

Sound: Originating from Huntington Beach, California, Hellogoodbye started among other Myspace-era acts on MP3.com and other such Internet-based music providers in 2001. Their self-titled EP released in 2004, consisting primarily of powerpop and miscellaneous computerized elements; the album was driven largely by singer/guitarist Forrest Kline and keyboard player Jesse Kurvink, and went on to sell a ballpark 400,000 copies (consisting almost entirely of digital sales). In 2006, their first (barely) full-length release, "Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs!" was driven to the charts by synthpop single "Here (In Your Arms)". "Zombies!" refers occasionally to "Hellogoodbye" for influence, but with a wider range of electronic influence. The result is a very juvenile (though certainly fun-loving) half-hour of synthpop for... well, it's hard to tell. Lyrically, "Zombies!" tends to be as mature and sex-loving as any college sophomore, but the record is musically more prone to entertain a younger audience maybe a bit older than the Disney stars cater to, but no older than fourteen or fifteen. The indie rock here and there may entertain the seemingly sophisticated demographic they wish to reach, but confusion over whether the band overall is suggestive with an innocent face, or the opposite, makes the record's purpose difficult to distinguish. Hellogoodbye's love of all things synth is no more apparent than in the opener "All Of Your Love", which has better remix versions, and the only too fun "Touchdown Turnaround", which is arguably the best of the record. "Oh, It Is Love" and others feature a fixation on the mandolin, where "Homewrecker" features a less melodic, more indie rock sound. "Here (In Your Arms)", the record's lead single, is a liquid synthpop tune and, like the rest of the record, wonderfully cheesy. Though the record struggles to find an audience predisposed to liking it, those willing to place their tongue firmly in their cheek (as the band occasionally and unwittingly does) will enjoy "I Saw It On Your Keyboard" in all its Nintendoesque glory. Though the excessive computerized noise occasionally puts a barrier between the listener and the music ("Figures A And B"), "Zombies!" does achieve pure, unabashed fun on a scale few of their era did. The deluxe version features some demos, which features more punch on "Two Weeks In Hawaii" and a better version of "Homewrecker". // 6

Lyrics: Singer/songwriter Forrest Kline, with help on some tracks from keyboardist Kurvink, presents as charming, though naive, a face as any of the band's influences. Though less aggressive here than on the EP, he rocks through tracks like "Two Weeks In Hawaii" and "I Saw It On Your Keyboard". "Oh, It Is Love" draws most of its strength from his kiddie vocal work, and while this is a structural weakness, to pull off a track that alludes to runaway marriage without a hint of irony is some kind of achievement. Some vocal manipulation is in tracks like "Touchdown Turnaround", but these moments generally stays out of the record's way, rather than hinder the experience. Similar to "Oh, It Is Love", most of the record is as lyrically dumbed down as any synth record. "Everywhere at every time/I am yours and you are mine" and such phrases are scattered throughout, and though few moments are uncomfortable, many are as silly as the music on one hand, this benefits the album, but it's nice to see some degree of work every now and then. From the title, of course, one shouldn't expect anything but ridiculous fun had on "Zombies!", even if it means some lyrical sacrifices. And, in "Two Weeks In Hawaii" and others, it makes room for charming little moments like "You've got your airplane/And I've got the plain air of here." // 5

Overall Impression: What did you expect from synthpop? "Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs!" is thirty-five minutes of over-the-top fun. Some indie rock and powerpop moments compliment it more than anything the grinding guitars in "Two Weeks In Hawaii" do a lot to strengthen the track in lieu of the demo version's stronger vocals. Anyone going into the record with any sense of irony or seriousness is in for a profound disappointment; Hellogoodbye is all about goofs, slip-ups, and embarrassing first dates. "Touchdown Turnaround" is the undisputed high point of the record, but the rest is so mercifully short that even in despising it will you find things to love from "Baby, It's Fact"'s keys to "All Time Lows" and its dense-sounding keys. "Zombies!" has something for ever college kid to love, even if it requires swallowing the bitter pill that, perhaps, the band isn't entirely aware of just how silly it is.

// 7

Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs! Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 19, 2007

Sound: The sound of the album and band is quite good. It is a mix of '80s electronic stuff and the pop bullshit you hear today only better.I Listen to mostly metal like Metallica Trivium Lamb of God etc. but for some odd reason I really like this band. The use of a vocoder and keyboards really fill out the bands sound which I must say is awesome! // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty goofy and retarded but that's wat makes them so awesome. They say certain things just for the sake of ryming. LIke in Here (in your arms) "I like where we are when we drive in your car". It's probably one of the most retarded things I have ever heard but that's why it's so good. Most of the albums lyrics are just fun and goofy like that but the final track on the album Two Weeks in Hawaii is much deeper. It reminds me of oldschool Weezer like their album PInkerton. The song is basically about lonliness etc. As for the vocalist Forrest Kline. He has half decent but when he uses the vocoder he sounds really really awesome. that's all I hafta say about that. // 7

Overall Impression: I really really like this album. The band reminds me of Weezer who appear to be down the shitter sadly. They are definately one of my new fav bands and being a metal fan it says something. I love the lyrics and keyboards on the album and I can't think of anything I hate. If this album was lost or stolen I would definately buy it again it's worth every penny! // 10

Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs! Reviewed by: SLD.Potato, on may 21, 2008

Sound: So Hellogoodbye is a little bit older, and their sound has changed since their EP, but thankfully not too much. If you've heard their older music, you know what to expect spanned between 11 blissfully short tracks, (no eight-and-a-half-minute "Dear Jamie"'s here). It's ironic that this album is twice as many tracks as the EP, but is only twelve minutes longer. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are the single most disappointing aspect of this album. Take a look at the cover, and then read the title: Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs! contains nothing more than the most pathetic love ballads you've ever heard. I was expecting something quirky and original like the cover implies, but instead I get the pathetic vomit-inducing balladry of songs like "Baby it's fact" and "Figures A to B (Means You and Me)". If you believe that "Baby, it's fact / That our love is true / The way black is black / And blue is just blue" is beautiful and that "Present for a presentation presented presently" is clever than maybe you'd actually enjoy hearing this, but I can't help but cry in disappointment for an album that was supposed to be about zombies, aliens, vampires and dinosaurs. // 2

Overall Impression: The music is great, Hellogoodbye has got that aspect down, however, they really need to stop making every song a lame love ballad, at least their EP had "Jesse buy nothing... go to Prom anyways" placed in the middle as a breather. There's no such escape on this album. // 3

Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs! Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 30, 2010

Sound: Hellogoodbye is definitely not a brilliant band in any sense, but the first time I listened to them (after my older brother bought the cd) I couldn't help smiling and tapping my foot along. Their sound is very poppy, very electronic-techno, and has a lot of computer-generated effects. At the time, this was a sound I didn't listen to often, but I was pleasantly surprised. "Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs!" is not an album I would listen to over and over again, instead I find myself not listening to Hellogoobye for months before digging out the CD again and playing the songs and enjoying them all over again. // 8

Lyrics: The album is titled "Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs!" but that doesn't mean their songs will be about these things. Many bands title their albums strange or random things, and their songs have nothing to do with the album title. This is true of Hellogoodbye... do not expect any mention of zombies, aliens, vampires, or dinosaurs in any of their lyrics. The lyrics are shallow, but the shallow lyrics are very purposeful and fun. Hellogoodbye rhymes for the sake of rhyming and sings loves songs for the sake of singing love songs. It almost seems as if the band makes fun of other "tragic and deep" love songs by instead writing love lyrics that are playful and corny. If you think that Hellogoodbye was serious about these lyrics "touching people" you are wrong, you are expecting way too much out of a band that is simply having fun. The lyrics match the music: simple and easy to play. Forrest Kline has an okay voice, but the generated effects add something that he as a vocalist lacks. // 7

Overall Impression: I believe that Hellogoodbye has a resemblance to many bands; The Click Five, Weezer, The All American Rejects, etc. I would like to see them expand past playful love songs and see them do something a little more meaningful because I enjoy great lyrics that tell a story, but at the same time their playfulness on the album is what led to my liking of this band in the first place. Sometimes I need a break from the overly written love songs that artists write, and once in awhile I would like to listen to something shallow and silly. Yes, I would buy this CD again if it were stolen or lost (because I did exactly that). This is a CD that people are either going to love or hate, but I have found that many guys actually enjoy this album...do to the fact that the love songs are playful and fun (instead of serious). If I play this in my car and my boyfriend is listening, we have fun with it. Overall, if you're looking for love songs that lack seriousness and a fun, upbeat sound...Hellogoodbye can provide that for you. // 8

More Hellogoodbye reviews rating latest review
+ Everything Is Debatable 5.2 11/15/2013