Gambling With The Devil Review

helloween: Gambling With The Devil
Release Date: Oct 23, 2007
Label: Steamhammer
Genres: Power Metal, Heavy Metal, Progressive Metal
"Gambling With The Devil" delivers more of that stunning, unmistakable Helloween sound: great musicianship, top-notch vocal delivery and superb songwriting.
Gambling With The Devil Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 23, 2007

Sound: Ok, let's be honest here, since mastermind Kai Hansen and selfish out-of-this-world-voicalist Michael Kiske left the band, Helloween have been falling from an endless cliff without salvation in sight for about 15 years. Though they have released some great Power Metal tracks like "Kids Of The Century", "Sole Survivor", "Wake Up The Mountain" and a bunch more, most people never thought of them as metal gods or anything near that. So, after all this years and some experimental albums in between Helloween are back trying to prove us that they still are the masters of the genre. And, may I dare to say, they do it in a rather extraordinary way! Following the album's intro "Crack The Riddle", where you think you'll listen to a "Dark Ride Part: The Legacy", you'll be blown away by the awesome "Kill It" where Rob Halford gave a few vocal lessons to Helloween's Andi Derris in exchange for his soul (I mean there's just no other bloody way). One can say that this particular song gives away the personality of the album, fast, angry at times, dark with light in the perfect doses but most important of all, never getting the joy out of your ear, not ever. "The Saints" which is next will surely remind you of the first two Keepers with some fast guitar arrangements, melodic vocals and a few solos that will surely fill your pose-hunger. After that you'll be introduced to the commercial side of Helloween, where "As Long As I Fall" proves that Helloween never hit the ground with some nice piano riffs and a great chorus which is overwhelmed with power. But then you'll enter the party. "Paint a New World", "Final Fortune", "Bells Of The Seven Hells", "Fallen To Pieces", "I.M.E", "Dreambound" and "Heaven Tells No Lies" will just leave with an open mouth, angry, wondering "Why did it have to end? I mean, Why?" Guitars written by some divine entity, piano that would make Mozart jealous (ok, just joking) and a flow of music which very few, special, albums are proud to be known for. I leave "Can Do It" out of all this because it can be quite cheesy for some, but who cares for all those depressing people, right? In the end, Helloween prove right in your face that the last 15 years weren't a waste of time after all, but a sum of experiments on the sublect of sound with one goal in mind. Perfection. In conclusion, if you're asking for a mix of trash, melodic speed, power and heavy metal this the place for you. // 10

Lyrics: As I said before, many can argue about the musical direction Helloween have followed over the years, but none can deny that they have some of the bests lyrics in the history of metal (especially in the Power genre). For those who don't know, "The Bells Of The Seven Hells", "Fallen To Pieces" and "I.M.E" are considered to be a trilogy, written by Andi Derris, talking about the history of Germany and what Hitler did to the band's homeland. But somehow Andi has this magic and cleverness in his lyrics that even if he talks about a particular sublect there's also a general meaning behind it. That's why you'll hear about the seven sins, how you feel when someone has run over you(litteraly) and how to say that "I Am Me" and I'm something better than what you want me to be. You'll also hear to a bunch other stuff too but the real meaning of this album is "Gamble with the Devil, man. You'll win." The meaning itself, though, isn't really the nice part of Helloween's lyrics. It's more important how you get to it. The thinking of those ugly looking texts. After about half an hour of deep concentration you'll feel really smart for halving solved the easy riddle Helloween described right before you ears. And having that smile on your face is 7 times more worthy than the pseudo-cultural meaning of this CD. Highight line of the album for me: "We try to force our final fortune, /as if we knew the final score, /and we pretend to know things better, /and all madness we ignore," Final Fortune. Approaching the end of this sector, in the vocal part of this album, Andi gives his best on all notes, all song and all octaves with some outstanding screams, some rather angry grunts and an unreal combination of both those elements togehter. // 9

Overall Impression: All said, Helloween have really done it this time offering one of their bests works as of yet. I mean, yes pals, the Keeper albums are quite great but time goes on and maybe you were wrong. So try to open your life a little and accept that you're not 20 anymore. As for the bests songs of Helloween's 13th studio album for me, they have to be something like this: Bells Of The Seven Hells, Kill It, Final Fortune/Heaven Tells No Lies (I can't really decide). Before I salute you, I have to say that what you're going to love about this album is that it never gets old and boring. I've been hearing for about a month now and I still can't seem to delete it from my mp3 playlist. Like me, you'll just keep asking for it. Now ending this quite tiring review I have to answer that I would certainly buy it again and again if it was stolen, but more probable is the case that I'd steal it from someone else (no kidding). Have a nice time hearing this masterpiece! Note:It's not gotten a 10 because there really isn't anything radical that will blow you way. Just some polished-to-death Helloween elements put togehter perfectly. // 9

Gambling With The Devil Reviewed by: aenimafist, on august 12, 2008

Sound: With Gambling With The Devil, Helloween blast back into the underground metal scene full-steam ahead. It begins with one of their usual album intros which could, this time, creep out the squeamish. Then Kill It is segued into and Andi's vocals and the 12/8 time beat destroys everything in the room. This is true new Helloween. Even more mainstream-sounding songs like As Long As I Fall hold their own on the new observation by this power metal behemoth. This is Helloween's song-writing at very, very close to it's best. Despite the dumbass AllMusic reviewer's experience with this album, I thought it was a really fun adventure into the realm of Helloween. // 10

Lyrics: Andi Deris has been the best singer Helloween ever had for the fifteen years he has been with the band. He has also evolved very well as a singer up to this point in the band's carrer. On previous albums such as Dark Ride and Rabbit Don't Come Easy, Deris has experimented heavily with multiple vocal styles. He utilizes the vocals he pioneered on those albums on GWTD in killer tracks such as Kill It, with the high-pitched verses. The overall lyrical theme seems to be all about destroying and ignoring everything that annoys you in life and that you should follow your heart, not trends. Ireally think Can Do It should have been the last track, I really wanted that one at the end after I heard the whole album. // 9

Overall Impression: Helloween have evolved to an extreme extent over their careers and the product of today shows just that. The sonic evolution following the departures of Michael Kiske and Kai Hansen has built up to become something really special for this buch of guys. Although this album may not be as well polished as, say, The Dark Ride, or Time of the Oath, it still may be considered in and of itself, a classic. Best tracks: Kill It, Can Do It, Final Fortune, The Saints, As Long As I Fall, and Bells of the Seven Hells. Yay! // 9

More Helloween reviews rating latest review
+ Straight Out Of Hell 9.2 02/07/2013