Hellyeah Review

Hellyeah: Hellyeah
Release Date: Apr 10, 2007
Label: Epic
Genres: Rock
This is definantly hard core old school rock that any Pantera or Mudvayne fan would love.
 Lyrics: 7.3
 8.4
 7.8
 8.9
Hellyeah Reviewed by: F-ing Hostile, on may 01, 2007

Sound: My impression is pretty good, when I first heard this CD I wasn't very impressed, but it grew on me in a very short amount of time, no story to the CD, just a good CD to listen to with friends when ur drinkin, music styles, well it's got 2 members of nothingface and Mudvayne, so it has a nu/alt metal style, and I think Vinnie brings a good southern metal touch to it, the drumming and the vocals stand out, they're both done really well, and following that are lots of catchy riffs. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics, well, I have to be honest do get really cheesy at times, like Acohaulin ass and Star, but they're alright, I figured Chad Grey would bring a little more to the table as far as lyrics go, but he did alright, and the music and lyrics do go very well together, and Chad Grey's voice sounds really great on the album, almost as good as he has ever sounded. // 8

Overall Impression: The most impressive songs IMO, are Hellyeah, Matter of Time, You Wouldn't Know, Rotten to the Core, alcohaulin'ass, and goddamn, I love the fact that it's got members of two of my fav. bands, (Pantera and Mudvayne), Chad's voice is wonderful, and it's a good CD to just sit around and listen to with friends, The only thing I dislike is the fact that it seems like they're trying a little to hard to be cowboys, and the lyrics get on the cheesy side, if it were stolen and lost, I would probly buy it again. // 9

Hellyeah Reviewed by: Cadj, on april 09, 2007

Sound: Hellyeah is the new band from former Pantera and Damageplan drummer Vinnie Paul, who you may know best as the brother of Dimebag Darrel. The band consists of Vinnie Paul, members of Mudvayne and Nothingface. I myself was eager to hear what this band could produce seeing as I'm a big Pantera fan and was curious to see how Vinnie got on without Dimebag. So about the album, the album was recorded in Dallas, Texas and was finished at the end of January this year. The album tries to give of that classic metal sound that Pantera managed to achieve but unfortunately in my eyes, they've either tried to hard or not enough as the album isn't too great at all. Overall it's a well recorded album but to be honest, it isn't that great and Chad Gray isn't the best of vocalists. // 5

Lyrics: The lyrics featured on this album are slightly different to that of Pantera, alhough some you can't pick up due to Chad's shouting but on the more softer ballad types such as "Alcohaulin' Ass" and "Thank You" the songs give a more melodic style of singing and more sympathetic lyrics. Thank You is a big shout out to all the bands lost family members which is actually a good song compared to the rest. Most of the lyrics fit in well with the music but it's the shouting that really ruins the songs as to be honest, Chad can't sing nor shout and that factor unfortunatly makes the songs rather unlistenable, although they you can, to me it's quite bad. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, this album has nothing on any of Vinnie's previous efforts, and the Mudvayne guys do slightly better and I've never heard of Nothingface so I can't comment on them. The most impressive songs are "Waging War" and "Thank You", most of the others in my opinion are very repetitive and get tiresome easily. The facts I like about the album are Vinnie is getting back in the game after the tragic death of Dime and it's always nice to hear his simple yet effective drumming. The hate I have of this album is the vocals and guitars, they don't sound very appealing and the guitars sound more suited for say Slipknot such as the intro riff on "Rotten To The Core". If this album were either lost or stolen, I really wouldn't bother buying or download it again, it's a decent effort but they really had so much expectation that it's a seriously big letdown. // 5

Hellyeah Reviewed by: dante., on august 15, 2011

Sound: Losing a brother is not a easy thing at all. You might be whatever you want: A metalhead, a geek, lol, I mean, it doesn't matter, because losing a member of your family IS NOT a simple thing. That is what Hellyeah's drummer (Vinnie Paul, also Pantera's drummer) passed through after the death of his beloved brother (Dimebag Darrell [1966 - 2004, RIP Dime]) during a Pantera's show. Vinnie took some months to move on, and when he finally did, he joined Hellyeah as drummer (they have asked him before but he said he wasn't ready yet for that, merely because of his brother's death). So, in 2007, Hellyeah released their first album, called "Hellyeah". And then, in 2011, I bought it to give it a listen lol. Well, honestly, I knew this album couldn't anyway be bad (soon as Vinnie was their drummer) but, wow, this really surprised me. Fast riffs and great vocals with a very great drive (vocal technique) makes this a real masterpiece. // 9

Lyrics: Of course, it has huge influences of thrash metal (although they even use a bit of country) so you can expect thrash metal lyrics; songs like "Alcohaulin A-s" gives you a sample about what the lyrics mostly talk about lol. Nevertheless, they made a track called "Thank You" which I'm honestly not much aware about to who it is, but I'm like 99% sure it's a song to Dimebag. At end, you can hear he singing: "Thank you, brother" and it basically thanks somebody about everything good he ever did for him. It's a great song and very touching, definitely my favorite track on this album. // 8

Overall Impression: Hellyeah reminds me a lot of Pantera (maybe because it's the same drummer lol) but this band is just great! If you're into metal scene you totally should give it a try. The credits goes to the songs "Thank You" and "Matter Of Time", most amazing tracks ever. These guys did an awesome job with this album, and I'm looking forward their new stuff. Vinnie is a great drummer and he totally should not stop drumming, he should honor his brother with his great skills and I'm pretty sure Dimebag is really proud of him. This album is a must have and you should buy it right now! // 10

More Hellyeah reviews rating latest review
+ Band Of Brothers 6.6 07/17/2012