Giant Review

herman dune: Giant
Release Date: 2006
Label: EMI/Capitol
Genres: Rock
2006 release from the Swedish outfit whose off-kilter Pop has attracted attention across the globe, even becoming one of John Peel's favorites in the last years of his life.
 9.8
 9.5
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Giant Reviewed by: -Ryan-, on february 07, 2008

Sound: Most people haven't heard of the anti-folk genre, let alone an anti-folk/pop/indie band from France named Herman Dune. Through a chain of events I was introduced to Herman Dune (Herman Dune is a surname) by a friend, and have since tried to collect as much of their music as possible. Their most recent album entitled "Giant" was released in 2006 and has a significant shift to indie-pop compared to their previous albums. The album has a very happy sound to it, making you want to lie out on a beach and enjoy a sunny day. Herman Dune use a wide variety of instruments throughout the album including acoustic (mostly classical) guitar, a very clean electric sound, ukelele, trumpet(or some sort of brass), xylophone and bongos. Anything that gives a sort of peaceful pleasent sound is probably found somewhere hidden on this album. By no means is the music meant to be complicated or technical, the music is meant to be simple and for you to tap your foot and smile. // 10

Lyrics: Similar to the sound of the album, the lyrics are also extremely positive and usually describe a loved one. Like the music the lyrics also tend to be simple, but that is what makes them so effective. Lines such as "we'll be like bugs when they break through a cocoon" break out from the stereotypical love song. Rhymes are plentiful and the songs very relatable, but again the content is original and witty. David-Ivar Herman Dune is the lead singer of the band and sings with a slight French accent. His style is unique and certaintly not overly impressive, which makes it very real and gives it a non-studio sound. David-Ivar is backed by a group of very talented girls who are also from the indie scene. Their voices add another layer of pleasent harmony to the songs, and to quote the lead track they have the voices of "angels". The lyrics are excellent, there are a lot of lines that stick with you after listening to this CD. The vocals at times seem raw, but in my opinion make the album even better. // 10

Overall Impression: When being introduced to Herman Dune it is easy to become obessed with this great band, or to be completely turned off by it. It is a love or hate relationship. This is no doubt their best album and worth checking out. I can say this is the only artist I listen to that makes me want to get up and dance and sing while listening. Unfortunately it is hard to locate any Herman Dune merchandise outside of eBay, so I consider these albums irreplaceable in my collection. I can't really compare this band to any others as I generally don't listen to any pop music. I love putting it on almost on a daily basis. // 10

More Herman Dune reviews rating latest review