Hold On Tight Review

hey monday: Hold On Tight
Released: Oct 7, 2008
Genre: Emo, pop punk, powerpop
Label: Sony BMG
Hey Monday's debut album Hold On Tight is what I probably would call pop punk and alternative rock.
 7.2
 7.7
 6.6
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Hold On Tight Reviewed by: Steelneck, on april 08, 2010

Sound: Hey Monday's debut album Hold On Tight is what I probably would call pop punk and alternative rock (I'm not exactly sure though). It's the type of music I listen to so obviously, I'm fond of this album. Most of the songs from Hold On Tight has an energetic rhythm to it. They're loud, (except for two), stunning, amazing and just great! It keeps me content, entertained and satisfied. // 8

Lyrics: Cassadee Pope has a very high vocal range. I love hearing Cassadee using it instead of keeping it locked away in the closet. Hey Monday's lyrics for Hold On Tight is quite simple. I think they can do better. Sure, it already sounds great with the song. Sure, it doesn't have to have more complicated lyrics. Sure, it sounds better as it is. I just think that Hey Monday shouldn't be using lyrics that eight-year-olds would know. // 6

Overall Impression: I absolutely hate the fact that Hey Monday is always compared to Paramore. They sound nothing like Paramore! They're both great, talented bands but I don't see why they always have to be compared with each other just because both bands have a female lead singer. Personally, my highlights for this album is "Homecoming", "How You Love Me Now" and "Candles". "Homecoming" has this resonant tone to it. It's great! I love everything about it! The same goes for "How You Love Me Now". "Candles", however has something about it that I can't really explain. It sounds amazing and honest but I'm not really sure what I like best about it... I've written about what I thought were the best songs in the album but nothing's perfect. There's one particular song that is my least favorite. "6 Months". In my opinion, I don't think that the lyrics have the same quality as the rest of the songs in the album do. The guitar chords and strumming patterns are so basic. The lyrics, though are a little better than that. I think they need to work on that. Again, nothing's perfect (and anyway, this is their first album). They put a great effort in this album. I can't wait for their next album, "Beneath it All". // 9

Comments