Metamorphosis Review

4.5
 5.7
reviews (4) 1 comment vote for this album:
Metamorphosis Reviewed by: dscguitar, on september 25, 2003

Sound: I'm not usually a pop fan, but after listening to this cd, I was very impressed. The vocal styles aren't as innovative and diverse as they could be, but they are well-delivered and catchy. The guitars are fairly simple but prominant and also interesting and catchy. It is a little more edgy than I'd expect from "Lizzie McGuire" and I really enjoy listening to it. Metamorphosis won't be up for any grammies but is nice and refreshing to listen to. It is very poppie and probably won't appeal to a lot of harder rock fans, but if you enjoy corny love songs that are fun to listen to, you might like this cd. // 8

Lyrics: As I said, the lyrics are less than innovative, but do compliment the songs. It is full of love-songs and clichs but is nice to listen to. The music and lyrics definitly go hand in hand. Very light and poppie. I find Hilary to be a very talented singer. // 6

Overall Impression: This album probably compares to Let Go by Avril Lavigne, but without the "I'm punk and pissed off at the world" thing going on. It's straightforward pop. I like the upfrontness of the album. It dosn't claim to be anything it's not *cough*Avril*cough*. The only thing that I don't like is the fact that the lyrics are not the most impressive I've ever heard (she get's a lot of use out of the word "la"). Yes, I would buy Metamorphosis again if it were stolen. It's definitly worth buying if you'r looking for nice, light and happy pop that isn't all computer synths and backup singers. // 8

Metamorphosis Reviewed by: Guitar Diva, on january 19, 2004

Sound: I was surprised at the sound of this album. I expected it to be full of britney spears style songs, with no talent in writing or vocals expressed by Hilary. The music was more rock influenced, which is not what I had predicted. Lots of guitar riffs. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album were not the best I've heard. With the help of the well-known "Matrix" team, Hilary had some good songs on here, such as Where Did I Go Right? and So Yesterday. The popular John Shanks (think Michelle Branch) wrote my favorite, Come Clean. There were a few horrible, teeny-bopper songs on here with no lyrical value at all (The Math, Sweet Sixteen, and Love Just Is). Duff's voice was pretty average to me, nothing special shown here. Her meager and failed attempts to write two tracks on this album show me that this is true: In Hollywood, anyone can get a record deal. // 6

Overall Impression: I think this album was much better than the other young artists out there, but Hilary's music style of choice does not compare to others in her 'category,' such as Michelle Branch and Avril Lavigne. The most impressive song on this album, to me, is definitely Come Clean. I enjoyed the young, free feel of the songs, but I wasn't impressed with Duff's writing. If this album was lost or stolen, I don't think I'd lose sleep over it. I would recommend this album to girls from the ages of 8-15. // 6

Metamorphosis Reviewed by: starbomb13, on july 15, 2004

Sound: The sond is way too poppy for me. The sound is very light with Hilary's girly voice singing. The thing is - there's nothing strong or straight-forward going on. There's nothing that made me feel like there was anything going on. It was like a fefe dobson album with less guitar and drums. A Britney Spears album without the sex-driven ,not-so-innocent thing going on. It was more like one of those olsen twins records-back when they were 8. // 2

Lyrics: I have no respect for artists who don't write their lyrics. Hilary did not write her lyrics. The lyrics have nothing deep or thoughtful in them. It's one thing to not write your songs, and it's another when you don't have a strong voice. Her voice is light, too girly, pretty high, and irritating. I can't stand it. Halfway trough the album - I was ready to burn it. // 2

Overall Impression: I read another review of this album from someone who was slamming Avril Lavigne - saying she was angry and whatever. Well, at least Avril does write songs, at least she does create some of the music, at least she has more mature songs than Hilary's "Come Clean" or "So Yesterday" - I mean, what the f--ck? "Let the rain fall, I'm coming clean"? There's nothing worse than an immature, squeaky-clean,way-too-poppy, irritating artist singing what some other people wrote for her. I have absolutely no respect whatsoever for her or her music. At least I didn't even buy the album - I borrowed it and thank god I borrowed it instead of buying iy. There's no way in hell I would spend bout' 20 dollars on this piece of s--it. Wate of my f--ckin' time listening to this crap. // 2

Metamorphosis Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 11, 2005

Sound: I got this album when I liked Aaron Carter, Britney Spears (ever noticed her initials are BS), and I was trying to go with the whole mainstream rap (yes, rap). When I first got it, I loved it. I listened to it all the time. I listened to it a few weeks ago, and hated it. I quickly sold it at a garage sale. // 2

Lyrics: The lyrics are way too girly (as I used to be, sadly), and had no substance to them whatsoever. "If you can't do the math, than get out of the equation. I am calling you back, this is 69," What the hell is that supposed to mean? As I said before, I used to like it. If I was still into "pop" I guess I would probably still like it. It depends what kind of music you like. // 2

Overall Impression: Horrible. Sorry, Hilary Duff, but I just don't like you anymore. // 2

More Hilary Duff reviews rating latest review