Extreme Behavior Review

8.1
 8.3
 7.9
Extreme Behavior Reviewed by: UG Team, on november 17, 2005

Sound: Some bands claim they're playing something extremely new and can't even differentiate their style, some say they're just playing whatever they want to, without any style... These five guys from Oklahoma City, naming themselves Hinder, appeared on rock scene, saying they just want to bring back the best traditions of rock-n-roll and here's the result of their work for four years ? debut "big label" album "Extreme Behavior." The record, out September 2005 on Universal Records, was produced by Brian Howes (Closure, DDT) and engineered by Mike Fraser (Aerosmith, AC/DC). It starts off with the first single "Get Stoned" -? a very intense song about "sex is so much better when you mad at me" -- time of the relationship -- something everybody can relate to. The song has some wonderful guitar riffs and powerful rock drums. Lead singer Austin Winkler's voice adds to the song's roughness. "Better Than Me" has with an easy-sounding acoustic guitar in the beginning, evolving into distortion by the end. Tearful voice of a broken man tells us another story, full of bitter sentiments, about how difficult the relationship is. "How Long" and "By The Way" has very catchy choruses. The only songs that falls out of the whole context is "Room 21." The band has probably already regretted they put the song on the album, as it's been slammed almost in every "Extreme Behaviors" review. "Room 21" should be Hinder's attempt to create an irresistibly cool wild song about "wild times" -- girls, sex, panties, hanging on the door. First off, the singer makes some kind of sounds, like he can't wait to f--k that slut, which is a bit funny, than the lyrics are too plain and common, the track starts with drum beat that always reminded me of horse races and the whole song sounds a bit redneck-ish. Hopefully the band's next version of a "wild song" would be better. Guitar riffs and solos are the best part of the album, though sometimes dual lead guitars create a mess-up of sounds on the background. In those rare moments, when you get a chance to differentiate a guitar line, you notice, that there are actually great solos and very good catchy riffs, going into distortion at it's most intense moments. // 8

Lyrics: Listening to the songs assure you that lead singer Austin Winkler drunk a whole lot of shots of Jagermeister (as shown in their CD booklet) and smoked tons of Marlboros to work out soaring rock vocals. Winkler's vocal is pretty good and rusty for a dirty rocker, but sometimes it obviously needs to be stronger. To create some variety in songs, the voice is multiplied in choruses. In those rare moments when Winkler roars, it's done with a great effort. Lyrics are clear, story-telling about the girl next door or failed romance. There are some very good lines in songs, like "I don't wanna know it's over/So save your good-bye kiss." // 8

Overall Impression: Hinder's songwriting is surprisingly mature and has a huge sexual energy behind it. Each song on "Extreme Behavior" has a memorable hook -? something not very catchy, but easy to single-along and remember. The anger that almost every song consists, as it was probably written with it, only adds to their beauty. The band says that by writing music they try to get things off their chest, therefore the songs turn out to come very truthful. They are aiming to bring back the times, when Guns N' Roses and Aerosmith rocked, when huge rock shows were necessary events in everybody's life and "Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n' Roll" was the prayer. I wouldn't say there's something about music in here, as a lot of bands are playing the same type of thing (think about Nickelback or Dark New Day), but more about the way of making shows (my guess is -? either the guys don't like "civilized" way of making music or they just couldn't come up with a better idea of how to differ from other bands around). But when it comes to music, I should say -? it's been a pleasure to listen to the album. // 8

Extreme Behavior Reviewed by: jeromyrb, on may 22, 2007

Sound: Even though usually I prefer a little heaver music than Hinder, I must say that I really like this album. Many of the songs are very emotionall, and they have a really distinct sound. If I hear a song by Hinder, I almost immediatly know that it's them, because sound so unique. Some of the acoustics (like in lips of an angel and better than me) are a little tricky to play, and when there rocking harder than that, their notes are really heavy and powerfull. One thing I think they could improve on is making the song a little less repetitive. They are sticking to mostly to traditional song structure (intro-verse-chorus-ect.), and I like when artists mix it up and do something different. Overall there sound is very good though. // 10

Lyrics: I really like the sound of Austin's (lead singer) voice I lot. It's got that raspy kind of voice, kind of like Corey Taylor's from Slipknot and Stone Sour. That's the kind of voice I like best. The actual words he says are very emotionall and often have a deep meaning. His voice is what makes their songs so deep and emotional. // 9

Overall Impression: Even though I'm into heavier music, I really like this album. It's very suprising that this is only their first album. They have many hits for it only being the first album. I really like about half of the songs on the album, which is quite a bit, and the other half isnt bad either. I'm very excited to see what their future albums are like. I'd have to say that get stoned or how long is my favorite song on the album, and if it was lost or stolen I would definately buy it again. // 9

Extreme Behavior Reviewed by: Masterbeefy, on july 03, 2007

Sound: When I first heard Hinder, I thought they were just another mainstream band that complains about losing their girlfriends all the time, and It so happened that they do complain about losing their girlfriends all the time, but they do it in a tasteful way. My mother loved the song Lips Of An Angel, so I bought her the album for mothers day. I listenin to the bloody thing more than she does. I am glad to have discovered that they are more talented than I originally thought, not just with Lyrics, but some of the solos that Joe Garvey (guitarist) pulls off aren't half bad. One problem, however, is the songs do get a little bit repetitive, especially with the slow paced songs. // 7

Lyrics: Lyrically, this album is WAY too repetitive. Every song is either about breaking up, nearly breaking up, or wanting someone that they would probably end up breaking up with. Hinder's strength with lyrics is that they can express their overly used lyrics in way that can reach the listeners heart. Though repetitive, the are very powerful, and Austin Winkler's (Lead Vocals) voice helps that along very well. I found in all the songs, Austin Winkler's singing style and the lyrics matched the music very well, the only exemption being Homecoming Queen, simply because the beat and sound is very upbeat, with sadder sounding lyrics. Austin Winkler has the kind of voice that gets stuck in your head, and is impossible to mistake for anyone else. // 5

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is pretty good. It is easy on the ears and I found that it is a nice change from what I usually listen to. Though repetitive, it is quite enjoyable. I found that the powerful lyrics and nice and easy guitar work kept me interested through most of the album, though it kinda lost me during Lips Of An Angel. The repetitivness is kinda boring, but overall the CD is nice to listen to. As nice as it is though, I wouldn't go crazy if I lost it. // 6

Extreme Behavior Reviewed by: arniecastor, on july 29, 2008

Sound: To be honest the band uses styles from Nickelback. With heavy riffs practically using the same power chords in every song, with the occasional power ballad. Simple solos, not very lengthy, kind of trendy rythym guitar strumming patterns, and using basic effects in the leads. Flanger, chorus. They're a bit more profane, brining back the sex, drugs, and rock and roll theme. The produduction of this album I have to say is very polished. Nothing is complex. The beats and rythyms are so even. I think hinder has more talent. I'm just saying if Hinder was in the '80s they would be a glam metal band. They don't have real fans. They have the charts. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty much such from emo and glam metal bands about break ups, relationships, and the classic sex, drugs, and rock and roll. The lyrics and music mesh well togethor, but I think they should be more creative with they're lyrics. The music seems more rough than the lyics. Austin Winkler has a great vocal style. It sounds a bit gutteral with fine melodies, a mature voice to be exact. // 10

Overall Impression: I would say that Extreme Behavior is a modern and softer version of Guns N' Roses Appetite for Destruction. The only songs I really like are the singles. Get Stoned, Better Than Me, and Lips of an Angel. they have a better musical vibe than the other tracks. Everything else is a cheap filler. I mostly like the guitar work with the lead guitars. The solos aren't intricate and complex, but still sound great. I don't like the constant lyrical topics. They should mix it up a bit. The only reason a person would steal this album would most likely be for the cover art. If it were stolen or lost I honestly wouldn't buy it again. // 10

More Hinder reviews rating latest review
+ Welcome To The Freakshow 9.2 04/09/2013