Take It To The Limit Review

hinder: Take It To The Limit
Released: Nov 4, 2008
Genre: Hard-Rock
Label: Universal Republic
Their debut album has sold over 3 million copies but can these sleaze-rockers deliver the goods again?
 Lyrics: 8.5
 7.9
 8.9
 6.9
Take It To The Limit Reviewed by: UG Team, on november 04, 2008

Sound: So much has been made about the abysmal state of the music business in the last couple of years. With CD sales dwindling and major labels scrambling to figure out how to keep turning profits, it's becoming rarer to find a band getting past Gold let alone Platinum status these days. That's why when Hinder's debut album Extreme Behavior went on to sell over 3 million copies; the entire industry was left with their collective mouth open. After all, stalwart acts like Bon Jovi and Metallica were the only other acts selling anywhere near that amount in the rock world. Hinder's modernized take on the Sunset Strip styled sleaze-rock that made bands like Motley Crue and Poison famous struck a chord with fans all over the planet hungry for largely ignored genre. Take it to the Limit is the Oklahoma combo's new album and right off the bat, you know they aren't messing with their formula. Opening track Use Me is packed with all of the hallmarks of a great guitar-anthem. The driving rhythms, tasty fret licks, and the kind of chorus that was created for arenas makes the song an ideal number to kick the album with. Use Me and the following track Loaded and Alone would have fit perfectly on Def Leppard's Pyromania album. If fans were worried about the band maturing or trying a new sound out on this new record, their fears have been put to bed here. // 8

Lyrics: When a band plays the kind of hook-packed songs that Hinder specializes in, a huge part of what makes them great or not rests on the shoulders of their vocalist. Luckily for these guys, they have Austin Winkler as a frontman. Winkler has studied the greats and his performance here exudes the kind of confidence a Platinum selling artist should have. His versatility is also impressive. On the swinging Up All Night he delivers each line with a sleazed-up drawl but on the hushed The Best Is Yet to Come, he proves he's capable of working quieter, ballad-like material. Don't get us wrong, Winkler doesn't have the widest range out there by any stretch of the imagination but neither does Vince Neil or David Lee Roth. No, what makes him so integral to the band's winning sound is his understanding of what each song needs. Whether it's the power-ballads, the mid-tempo stompers, or the strip club anthems, Winkler always hits a homerun. // 8

Overall Impression: Hinder weren't the only ones who got noticed after the success of their first album. Producer Brian Howes was showered with praise by rock insiders for the huge sounds he helped the band achieve. But most of the hype he received was based on his songwriting contributions. Like the band, Howes' larger-than-life guitar and vocal hook ideas are steeped deep in the era of the hair-band. The band wisely chose to work with the Canadian producer again on Take it to the Limit and the combination works even better this time around. If songs like Without You and Lost in the Sun don't become FM radio staples, it would completely shock us. Joe Blower Garvey and Mark King lay down one infectious riff after the other. On the aforementioned Loaded and Alone Garvey provides a blistering solo that gets stuck in your skull after the very first time you hear the thing. That's thing about this band, love them or hate them, everything they do is catchy. With so many albums padded with filler material these days, it's appreciated when a band gives you 11 potential singles in one helping. // 8

- Carlos Ramirez (c) 2008

Take It To The Limit Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 11, 2008

Sound: Lets start off with saying how good this guys truly are. They are keeping with old rock traditions and living with the "Sex Drugs & Rock n Roll" Scheme. Take it to the Limit comes with a DVD about the Recording process, and les just say these guys are truly phoniminal. I Listen to the 80's rock scene, GNR, Poison, Motley Crue, all those good guys, and with Hinder, there is a very good comparison. My Favorite part of the album is the title track to be honest, the band brought in a high profile guitarist to work the solo and melody on the track, and it was flawless. Motley Crue's Mick Mars made the guest apperance and it was unbelieveable. // 10

Lyrics: Right off the bat, Austin Winkler comes in with the rough voice we know him from "Exreme Behavior". A few of the songs are sex driven (I.e. Use me, Up All Night) which is pretty good... Very good actually. The Lyrics are very well done, and on some songs he slears his voice to make it sleazy, which adds the the lyrics ar which he is singing. Very well done. // 9

Overall Impression: This band constantly impresses me, ever since I discoverd them in 2005, I've been listening ever since. And now that "take it to the limit" is out, I'm equally pleased that I am able to listen to some more amazing song. Kudos to Blower and mike for the guitar riffs, and espially blower for the solos, which were mind blowing. // 10

More Hinder reviews rating latest review
+ Welcome To The Freakshow 9.2 04/09/2013