Barely Legal Review

hives: Barely Legal
Released: 1997
Genre: Rock
Styles: Garage Punk, Punk Revival, Alternative Pop/Rock
Legal let a clued-in few know about their monumental coolness three years ahead of the game, and for sheer rock action, it's as good as anything they've put to tape.
 Lyrics: 7.5
 8.2
 7.8
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
Barely Legal Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 22, 2004

Sound: This is the early sound of the Hives. Filled with so many fast paced guitar riffs. It is amazing. I bought Tyrannosaurus Hives and thought that was pretty cool. But I didn't know that they had this kind of sound. I it is kind of scratchy, but it is their first record. So you can't blame them for bad recording conditions. // 10

Lyrics: Howlin Pelle voice is amazing. He is always screaming into the mike. It's amazing. It is hard to hear to hear what howlin pelle is singing most of the time. I had to look in the cd case to find the lyrics. But they are good lyrics if you can hear them. // 8

Overall Impression: If you want fast pased punk rock music, then this is the cd for you. The longest song is 2:49, so it is all fast. It is a short 27 minute album, but it's all good. The best songs are a.k.a. I-D-I-O-T, Automatic Schmuck, and The King Of Asskicking. Though, I've only had the album for one night. There are probably a lot of other songs I will like. If this album was stolen I would buy it again, and I suggest you all buy yourself a copy. // 10

Barely Legal Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 03, 2007

Sound: Barely legal is the Hives first album. The songs are short, fast and raw. It is the most punk sounding of their albums. Being early in their career a few of the songs sound almost incomplete, without any easily discernable riff or melody. On the other hand some songs are exetremely catchy and memorable. With songs A.K.A. idiot and I'm a wicked one you can see the melodic talents that would apear on subsequent albums. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics contain rebelious and anti-establishment themes (A.K.A. idiot, automatic shmuck). They are simple agressive and flow well with the music. The lyrics may not be the most complicated, but they work for the Hives. Overall the lyrics are ok. // 7

Overall Impression: Barely legal is an aggresive fast assult. It shows an interesting stage in the Hives evolution from a raw punk sound to a more pop/punk, pop/rock sound. Because of the short song lengths the album feels very stop start, making it hard to listen to straight through. The standout songs are A.K.A. Idiot, I'm a Wicked One, Theme From..., and Automatic Shmuck. This album is recomended to any fans of the Hives. // 7

More Hives reviews rating latest review
+ Lex Hives 7.3 08/03/2012