Tyrannosaurus Hives Review

hives: Tyrannosaurus Hives
Released: Jul 20, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Punk Revival, Garage Punk
Tyrannosaurus Hives shows that Hives will be able to keep going long after the fad has faded.
 Lyrics: 6.6
 8.5
 9.4
Tyrannosaurus Hives Reviewed by: KeviePie04, on august 02, 2004

Sound: This is by far the best Hives album yet. It keeps with all the older sounds, like frantic guitar parts and spastic vocals, but the album has a slightly cleaner and more produced feel than their previous album, which I think was an advantage. I think the album feels more powerful than their last album, in songs like 'B Is For Brutus'. Though the Hives probably got most of their recognition when they were grouped with the flux of garage rock revival bands that occured around 2002, they prove with this album that they can really make good albums beyond that. // 10

Lyrics: The Hives lyrics have always been pretty good, with this album included. Their isn't much differece between the quality of these lyrics compared with previous albums, so there isn't much to say. // 8

Overall Impression: This compares strongly with all the artists of the 'garage rock revival' craze, and I would strongly recommened buying this album. Some of the best tracks on this album would be 'Walk Idiot Walk', 'Little More For Little You', and 'B Is For Brutus'. However, all the songs are great. If this album got stolen, I would definetly buy it again. If your a fan of the Hives, or are just interested in the garage rock revival thing, I would suggest picking up this record. // 10

Tyrannosaurus Hives Reviewed by: joshsirjoshules, on august 09, 2004

Sound: This is definitely a garage band and garage bands are awesome. Very vintage and rock and roll, and in some ways it is a punk band. This has a lot of influences that I can't put my finger on. It is so vintage and so good, I can't possibly put it into words. The sound is so good. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very original and cleverly thought up, and go with the music remarkably well. The singer is not only one of the greatest singers I've ever heard, he is one of the best frontmen I have ever seen. He has a lot of Mick Jagger in him, and I admire that a lot. // 1

Overall Impression: This the absolute best album of the year. This is all I need to get by, the truth is baby it's a lie. // 10

Tyrannosaurus Hives Reviewed by: penney5, on february 06, 2006

Sound: The sound is a super catchy combination of riffs with a slightly retro sound accompanied by Pelle's distinctive voacal style make this a really good sounding album. Check out the guitar on Walk Idiot Walk, a single off the album. The album has more backing vocals to create a more whole sound. The guitars have a very clean cut feel to them and the electricy sounding bass suits it perfectly. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics at first a slightly hard to make out. They are not terribly meaningful but are energetic, poppy and full of enthusiasm. The lyrics and the music go together very well and the sound of Pelle's shouty and upfront, in your face singing will have you hungry for more. // 8

Overall Impression: It is an improvement on the hives' other albums and I think they have nowhere to go but up. Some of the tracks are abit too hyper but generally this is a truly great album with some astounding music. I never really used to be that fond of the hives and if you're not listen to Tyrannosaurus Hives. It will blow your mind! If it were stolen I would buy it back, it is just a perfectly crafted piece of fast rock. // 9

Tyrannosaurus Hives Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 15, 2006

Sound: Stepping away from their typical two guitars playing the same thing with different effects, the Hives have started using synthesizers. While sounding great most of the time, "Diabolic Scheme," easily the worst song on the album, shows how awful the Hives can sound if they try. Other than that, the album is strong with good tracks like "No Pun Intended," "See Through Head," "B Is For Brutus," and "Dead Quote Olympics." // 8

Lyrics: Pelle Almqvist has a horrible singing voice compared to singers like Chris Cornell or Davey Havok, but his vocals match the Hives' style of music perfectly, raw and untamed. His lyrics are more or less something that feeds off the music to keep it from being repetetive, but his lyrics shine occasionally, like in "See Through Head" or "B Is For Brutus." Unfortunately for the rest of the songs, the lyrics get repetetive, like in "Two-Timing Touch and Broken Bones" and "Walk Idiot Walk." // 7

Overall Impression: I thought that Veni Vedi Vicious was much better than this for a long time, but it turns out it isn't. The Hives have found a better sound for themselves, and will probably continue to evolve it into something better each album. Definetely a good purchase, although buy Barely Legal and Veni Vedi Vicious first. Working backwards wouldn't show you the Hives at their best. If this album was stolen from me, I'd go and beat him out of whoever stole it, because then I wouldn't have anything to dance to in my car. // 8

Tyrannosaurus Hives Reviewed by: noodleman123, on may 28, 2007

Sound: As soon as this album is played you know who it is, and that's the hives. Their distinct sound gives you that recognition. No matter how many times I have tried, and no matter how many fxs and amps I've used, I still cannot get that sound. The sound is a cross between really clean and distorted, a great combination. The fuzz effects used, like in B is For Brutus is truly great. The actual music makes you want to jump up and get moving and this is why my band plays the hives live. gives great atmosphere and an extremely good feel to you when you listen to it. // 10

Lyrics: If anyone can sing/scream like Pele and not look like a fool come to me because Pele does what he does and yet isn't taken for a fool. He is nutty and extremely mad but people accept that and don't see it as weird. The lyricsare great, some words I don't even know the meaning of and I'm english (Pele's Swedish). I do agree that you can't make out what's being said half the time but who cares? It fits with the lively jumpy feel the up beat drums and guitar/bass give. // 9

Overall Impression: Cannot be compared which is the best thing because bands seem to be doing what other bands are doing and that is wrong but the hives truly have hit the peak of originality. A must. I cannot live without the hives in my ears. Buy any album of theirs. Do it. // 10

More Hives reviews rating latest review
+ Lex Hives 7.3 08/03/2012